PDA

View Full Version : Gasquet is the next Federer

splink779
02-11-2006, 05:22 PM
Seeing him yesterday just refreshed my memory about how great of a player he is. HIs talent and vareity will allow him to be as great as Federer is in 2 or 3 years. Similarities can be made between him now and Federer at 19. Both huge talents just not fully developed. However I think Gasquet is ahead of Federer when he was 19 for these reasons -

1. Gasquet does not have a weak backhand. Federer did. in fact it is a huge strenth, so no one will be able to pick on that. Gasquet is also stronger than Federer was at 19.

2. Gasquet has a great forehand. Granted not as good as Fed's now, but he has the ability to produce different paces and spins, and if you have ever seen him flatten one out, it is a fierce weapon.

3. Gasquet's serve is better than Fed's was. Gasquet's fastest serve yesterdaay was 215 kph (134 mph). You're not going to see Fed hit anything like that (although Federer is currently much better at utilizing his serve).

4. Variety - Gasquet can do it all, half volleys, drop shots, touch shots, slice, angles. He moves up the court all the time and is VERY comfy at net. Not much he cannot do.

Gasquet's major obstacle right now is his mentality and his strategy. Sometimes it doesn't seem like he has a game plan. But once things start flowing, it looks like he just plays on instinct and comes up with sheer brilliance. Problem is, he doesn't do that consistently as he often gets down on himself. However I think this will improve as he gets older.

Dan007
02-11-2006, 05:31 PM
Gasquet is a hell lot better than Federer when he was 19. I agree with splink. He can definitly break in the top 10 and get a rivaly going on with Nadal and Federer. I'v seen him last year at the U.S. Open and he's a really good player.

ShcMad
02-11-2006, 05:33 PM
I have to agree that Gasquet's 1-handed backhand is one of the most graceful-looking and powerful backhands on tour. He's so flexible with it and it's not only limited to waist-height balls...he can take high-bouncing balls, short balls, wide balls with no problem most of the time.

splink779
02-11-2006, 05:38 PM
He's also one of the only player's I've ever seen commentators absolutely drool over his ability when he is playing well (besides fed).

DariusRaiden
02-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Gasquet is going to be one heck of a player once he matures. How far he came last year is remarkable, and there is no reason he cannot improve upon that this year. I hate it when people bash him, they clearly have not seen many of his matches. He struggled early this year, but he was coming off of an injury and a long period on the sidelines.

Beleive it or not, he has several advantages over Federer which were outlined earlier. However, he doesn't move like Federer(yet), and his forehand is weaker. Really what sets Federer apart from the rest is the way he constructs points. Richard has more raw power than Federer, especially on the backhand side, but he's clearly not as adept at constructing points(few players ever have been).

One strategy that players have used successfully against Federer is getting the ball up high on his backhand and then hitting forehands into the open court(see Nadal). Pete Sampras, for one, used to do this all of the time to players. However, I don't think this strategy is useful against Richard since his backhand is so powerful.

Finally, Richard has shown a distinct flair that few posses. I remember him stepping 5 feet into the court to return serves, which certainly few players can do! He has a strong nerve...........he could easily have lost to Ljubicic last year at the USO but hit winners down set points and eventually won. It's going to be fun watching him improve.

Max G.
02-11-2006, 05:41 PM
But Federer's forehand is better than Gasquet's.

Serve - I'm not sure I can give either one of them an edge on that.

Of course, what set apart Federer from the rest of the pack - mental strength, in 2003 he suddenly started being able to MAKE the shots that would seem to be high-risk for anyone else. And in 2004, he showed that he can do that match in and match out.

There's a big gap between having powerful shots and having CONSISTENT powerful shots.

And Federer still plays better defense, with his slice backhand and his return of serve.

Yes, Gasquet COULD suddenly turn his game on and be the next Fed - but that's still a pretty big leap that needs to be made.

iscottius
02-11-2006, 05:45 PM
This thread is a joke right? Gasquet is an awesome talent, but even the comparison is insulting to Fed and unfair to Gasquet. There is no next Fed, their never will be, he is simply the greatest tennis player to ever pick up a racquet.

splink779
02-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Some here are missing my point. I didn't say Gasquet is as good as Federer now. I said he was better than Federer was at 19.

jackson vile
02-11-2006, 06:25 PM
This thread is a joke right? Gasquet is an awesome talent, but even the comparison is insulting to Fed and unfair to Gasquet. There is no next Fed, their never will be, he is simply the greatest tennis player to ever pick up a racquet.

You must be very very young, there will always be someone better no matter what, it is only a matter of time, they said the same thing about Sampras, Mcenroe, ect ect

Tourmalante
02-11-2006, 06:47 PM
Seeing him yesterday just refreshed my memory about how great of a player he is. HIs talent and vareity will allow him to be as great as Federer is in 2 or 3 years. Similarities can be made between him now and Federer at 19. Both huge talents just not fully developed. However I think Gasquet is ahead of Federer when he was 19 for these reasons -

1. Gasquet does not have a weak backhand. Federer did. in fact it is a huge strenth, so no one will be able to pick on that. Gasquet is also stronger than Federer was at 19.

2. Gasquet has a great forehand. Granted not as good as Fed's now, but he has the ability to produce different paces and spins, and if you have ever seen him flatten one out, it is a fierce weapon.

3. Gasquet's serve is better than Fed's was. Gasquet's fastest serve yesterdaay was 215 kph (134 mph). You're not going to see Fed hit anything like that (although Federer is currently much better at utilizing his serve).

4. Variety - Gasquet can do it all, half volleys, drop shots, touch shots, slice, angles. He moves up the court all the time and is VERY comfy at net. Not much he cannot do.

Gasquet's major obstacle right now is his mentality and his strategy. Sometimes it doesn't seem like he has a game plan. But once things start flowing, it looks like he just plays on instinct and comes up with sheer brilliance. Problem is, he doesn't do that consistently as he often gets down on himself. However I think this will improve as he gets older.

I agree that he is a future tennis star but as regards to your comparison:
Simpe speed of service is not the most important factor in judging the merit of a players serve. What is Gasquet's percentage of service games held or first or second serve points one? Ultimately that is the only statistic that matters. And Gasquet will never be the natural athlete that Roger is-he will have to make sure he doesn't let his somewhat stocky frame gain too much weight. Other than that he is an incredible talent.

ACE of Hearts
02-11-2006, 06:50 PM
Gasquet is a wonderful prodigy but dont get ahead of yourself.In terms of having more power on the serve, i dont know about, Fed usually uses alot of spin when he serves the ball.

Marius_Hancu
02-11-2006, 06:52 PM
I need to see Gasquet again. When I saw him last year, including here in Montreal, I didn't think his FH was great at all.

And the great part about Fed is the mental one. Common, how many finals won in that streak?
That won't be tied for another 30 years.

goober
02-11-2006, 06:56 PM
Gasquet may be better at 19 than Fed was at 19 but that doesn't mean that Gasquet will be ever as good as Fed is now. Chang, Becker and Agassi were all better at 19 than Fed was but none of them became as good.

ACE of Hearts
02-11-2006, 06:57 PM
Gasquet has the french tag on him, how many french phenoms have their been and havent doned crap!

West Coast Ace
02-11-2006, 07:06 PM
Gasquet has the french tag on him, how many french phenoms have their been and havent doned crap!Ace, you beat me to it!

Fed had no pressure of Expectations coming from Switzerland. Gasquet has a ton. If/when he ever does make a Slam final, the pressure from the French press will be enormous.

ssuHeartsRivald
02-11-2006, 08:43 PM
it's very hard to be the next Fed. Yup 7 GS at 24, seems too far i think.
I mean it's not about GS title (just assumption). To be the next Federer means he should dominate tennis deeply and break many records or AT LEAST scratch the outstanding winning over another players. If we said about playing style: yes Richard maybe will be the next Fed. He is one HBH and has a same composure in the court. Let's waiting untill he's mature and we'll know he will be the next 'who'.

ATXtennisaddict
02-11-2006, 09:59 PM
federer is federer, gasquet is gasquet.

I'd rather not compare.

Max G.
02-11-2006, 10:14 PM
I agree that he is a future tennis star but as regards to your comparison:
Simpe speed of service is not the most important factor in judging the merit of a players serve. What is Gasquet's percentage of service games held or first or second serve points one? Ultimately that is the only statistic that matters.

Yes, that's the only statistic that matters - but that's also not the statistic that measures how good your SERVE is.

That measures how good your entire game is - not just your serve. So you get interesting statistics such as Olivier Rochus having a better second serve than Ivo Karlovic (according to statistics this year, based on percentage of points won). Now, I think it's pretty clear that the reason that Olivier Rochus has more ************-points won than Ivo Karlovic isn't because his SERVE is better, is because EVERY OTHER DAMN SHOT that Ollie has is better than Karlovic's.

Or look at David Nalbandian - he's pretty high up on ************-points-won, with clearly a serve that isn't as good as other players' serves.

If you want to judge serves alone, then your best bet is to look at number of unreturned serves... though of course that alone doesn't tell the tale either, since you can effectively use your serve to set up other shots.

(In past years, I would point to Hewitt and Agassi as great examples - their serve-win-percentage numbers were always near the top, though they were getting them by winning rallies after the ball was in play and not with their serves. This year, they're not playing well yet)

Grigollif1
02-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Some here are missing my point. I didn't say Gasquet is as good as Federer now. I said he was better than Federer was at 19.

A lot of player, I mean a lot were better then Federer when they were 19. That doesn't mean a lot, I agree that Gasquet is a wonderful Talent but, to start comparing to Roger now is just madness.

gugafanatic
02-11-2006, 11:45 PM
Gasquet may be better at 19 than Fed was at 19 but that doesn't mean that Gasquet will be ever as good as Fed is now. Chang, Becker and Agassi were all better at 19 than Fed was but none of them became as good.

Good point.

I would further add that it will be more difficult for Gasquet to become a dominant player as there are other teen phenoms that are showing just as much promise.

superman1
02-11-2006, 11:46 PM
He certainly has the talent, but to be nearly unbeatable requires much more than that. I don't know if we'll see another Federer for a long time. But Gasquet among others has a shot.

tenalyser
02-12-2006, 12:50 AM
I always saw Richard as the next dominant force but to compare him with federer already is a bit exagerated. Richard has a good serve with a lot of power on it but you can't compare it with federers serve. How much aces does Gasquet have each match? I'm sure it isn't above 10. Power isn't everything if it was the case wouldn't Roddick out ace Federer on every occasion they met? Placement is more important than power that's why the Sampras serve was superior to Ivanisevic and other huge servers.

The difference between Richard and Roger at the same age was that Roger had more mental collapses(I know it's a strong word), he used to lose matches after being 2 sets to 0 and he was more concerned about the beauty of a point than winning the match. Richard on the other hand is more focused than Roger but still has to work a lot on his fitness and his one-handed backhand, well what can I say it must be one of the most beautiful and powerful shots today among all the players on the ATP (accept federers forehand and amazing shot making ability of course)and may be of all time. But Federer had and has that ability to make the most difficult points look like routine for him.

If Richard keeps improving than well he might be the next greatest thing to have ever picked the racket, only time will tell. And he also has the advantage and disadvantage to be French so it could go either way if he can handle the pressure and play his best tennis on every important occasion than the French media will leave him alone but if he doesn't..........:shock: .
So good luck to Richard and I hope that he will fulfill his talent and all of us acceptations toward him ;) but he isn't even close jet to Federers status and league

Shabazza
02-12-2006, 01:11 AM
I always saw Richard as the next dominant force but to compare him with federer already is a bit exagerated. Richard has a good serve with a lot of power on it but you can't compare it with federers serve. How much aces does Gasquet have each match? I'm sure it isn't above 10. Power isn't everything if it was the case wouldn't Roddick out ace Federer on every occasion they met? Placement is more important than power that's why the Sampras serve was superior to Ivanisevic and other huge servers.

The difference between Richard and Roger at the same age was that Roger had more mental collapses(I know it's a strong word), he used to lose matches after being 2 sets to 0 and he was more concerned about the beauty of a point than winning the match. Richard on the other hand is more focused than Roger but still has to work a lot on his fitness and his one-handed backhand, well what can I say it must be one of the most beautiful and powerful shots today among all the players on the ATP (accept federers forehand and amazing shot making ability of course)and may be of all time. But Federer had and has that ability to make the most difficult points look like routine for him.

If Richard keeps improving than well he might be the next greatest thing to have ever picked the racket, only time will tell. And he also has the advantage and disadvantage to be French so it could go either way if he can handle the pressure and play his best tennis on every important occasion than the French media will leave him alone but if he doesn't..........:shock: .
So good luck to Richard and I hope that he will fulfill his talent and all of us acceptations toward him ;) but he isn't even close jet to Federers status and league

Well said, I agree!!

Fedubai
02-12-2006, 03:55 AM
The times I've seen Gasquet, the only time his power impressed me was the one-handed backhand. I don't remember a stand-out forehand or serve. His footwork needs work. His mentality needs work, just like Federer at the same age.

Someone earlier said Federer had no big expectations coming from Switzerland. Maybe there wasn't a stand-out player from Switzerland he was being compared with, but people were calling him one of the greatest talents already at 20 or 21. Then the long streak of no major wins, the whispers about how he was going to waste his talent. That was a heck of a lot more pressure than Gasquet has to deal with at the present time, purely because of his raw talent. People talked about Federer like a magician, in almost everything. Right now, they're just talking about Gasquet's backhand.

Wait until the real pressure starts. We can't talk direct comparisons right now, wouldn't be fair or respectful, but at the same age, sure. And flair for the game. Gasquet has a unique flair and style, but it's a little bit more angular than Federer. Federer is smoother, Gasquet has more apparent setup on his backhand expecially.

Variety is something too. Federer can play about 5 different shots on the backhand, not to mention all the improvisations and dinks he plays. There, I'm bragging.

Seroiusly though, all you Gasquet watchers, does he have variety on the backhand?

Tennis_Goodness
02-12-2006, 04:17 AM
Gasquet is going to be good. I actually picked Monfils to be the best out of the young pack which included Nadal but I don't know. There are alot of good young players out there and I think Gasquet is going to be a very good pro. Your gonna call me crazy, but Nadal got out of the pack earlier, but I think there are some other young players that could be better then him in the future. It just seems like Gasquet has so much he can do and learn.

Michael82
02-12-2006, 04:24 AM
Seeing him yesterday .......

1. Gasquet does not have a weak backhand.
2. Gasquet has a great forehand.
3. Gasquet's serve is better than Fed's was.
4. Variety

I remembered how people compared Kobe Bryant to Michael Jordan a few years ago. I was convinced Kobe was going to lead the team and dominate NBA. But how's Kobe doing now? I knew he won a couple of Champions and scored 81 a short while ago. But he has certainly not been considered as important as the single fact in basketball. I am not implying Richard would not surpass Roger. I actually watched the match between Tommy and him at Davis cup the day before yesterday. Very impressed by his ability and mental maturity. All I am saying is no one ever knows his Final Destination ( ;) ). So many facts are changable. Just let him grow up and enjoy his game.

dozu
02-12-2006, 05:18 AM
I think a more appropriate title should be 'Gasquet is the next Safin'

Shabazza
02-12-2006, 05:30 AM
I think a more appropriate title should be 'Gasquet is the next Safin'
nope it wouldn't, no comparison in playstyle, attitude and mindset between those 2 + their build and height is totally different as well

BabolatFan
02-12-2006, 07:22 AM
No! Gasquet doesn't show any promising mental toughness on the court. Inconsistent. We shall see...

alfa164164
02-12-2006, 01:42 PM
Gasquet's shot-making and spurts of brilliance should take him to several Grand Slam quarters, semis, and possibly beyond. But I don't see the consistency in his magic to change drastically. More realistically, his career could mirror the other talented and erratic Frenchman, Henri LeConte - one of my favorites.

goober
02-12-2006, 01:51 PM
I remembered how people compared Kobe Bryant to Michael Jordan a few years ago. I was convinced Kobe was going to lead the team and dominate NBA. But how's Kobe doing now? I knew he won a couple of Champions and scored 81 a short while ago. But he has certainly not been considered as important as the single fact in basketball. .

Actually anybody who knew anything about bball, never really thought Kobe was going to be the next MJ a few years ago. Kobe is still a great player but he is not winning another championship until they can get a real team around him. Smush Parker, head case Lamar Odom and Chris Mihm are not the answer.

The only person who might have a chance to be the next MJ is Lebron but I would have to wait and see how he develops over the next few years.