PDA

View Full Version : Hey Andy! Do me a favor.

Rusedski Fan
02-12-2006, 05:29 AM
When someone is singing ANY National Anthem, please take off you designer sunglasses off! Just a little respect should be shown to the country you are in, especially your own.

Call me patriotic, but is that too much to ask? Anyone see day two of the Davis Cup? They had a member of the US armed services sing the national anthem and Roddick has his shades on.

I still am a Roddick fan, but somethings have got to change public relations wise and on the court.

Now that he lost in the first rubber of Davis Cup, will he fire P-Mac?

idj49
02-12-2006, 05:33 AM
Since when do you take your sunglasses off for the National Anthem? I've never seen that, only the hat.

Mr.Federer
02-12-2006, 06:06 AM
Since when do you take your sunglasses off for the National Anthem? I've never seen that, only the hat.

same here...only the hat...

gregraven
02-12-2006, 06:21 AM
I think it's more disgraceful that singers these days can't make it through the national anthem without embellishing the melody as they see fit. Too bad the jets didn't fly overhead a lot earlier.

donnyz89
02-12-2006, 06:47 AM
I think it's more disgraceful that singers these days can't make it through the national anthem without embellishing the melody as they see fit. Too bad the jets didn't fly overhead a lot earlier.

I agree with this, I'm not even american...

vllockhart
02-12-2006, 07:20 AM
Where is it written that one should remove his sunglasses for the National Anthem? Nowhere.

pound cat
02-12-2006, 07:28 AM
Where is it written that one should remove his sunglasses for the National Anthem? Nowhere.

Sunglasses? What next, hairpieces and wigs?

vllockhart
02-12-2006, 07:40 AM
Sunglasses? What next, hairpieces and wigs?

I don't get it.

fishuuuuu
02-12-2006, 07:43 AM
I don't get it.

He meant if we can't wear shades, then what's next on the list? Hair-pieces (hair ties, clips, pins) and wigs?

slice bh compliment
02-12-2006, 08:02 AM
I couldn't agree more! I always take my extensions out when I hear the national anthem. It is a hassle. But, what can I say, I am a patriot.

tennis_nerd22
02-12-2006, 08:05 AM
well they do have to be respectful, i agree with you on that rusedski fan, but dont you think that taking off your sunglasses is a bit much? i mean, then we'd have to say take off your glasses to.. i dont know but i dont agree about the sunglasses thing...

FalconX
02-12-2006, 08:19 AM
underwear?

slice bh compliment
02-12-2006, 08:37 AM
When someone is singing ANY National Anthem, please take off you designer sunglasses off! Just a little respect should be shown to the country you are in, especially your own.

Call me patriotic, but is that too much to ask? Anyone see day two of the Davis Cup? They had a member of the US armed services sing the national anthem and Roddick has his shades on.

I still am a Roddick fan, but somethings have got to change public relations wise and on the court.

Man, I just love the irony. A guy who calls himself a Rusedski Fan is berating a tennis player for not being as true as humanly possible to the nation of his birth.
Hmmmm.

By the way, I loved the line about Roddick firing Pat McEnroe.

Oh, and I was kidding about me extensions. Dese dreads be real, mon.

Shabazza
02-12-2006, 08:42 AM
Man, I just love the irony. A guy who calls himself a Rusedski Fan is berating a tennis player for not being as true as humanly possible to the nation of his birth.
Hmmmm.

By the way, I loved the line about Roddick firing Pat McEnroe.

Oh, and I was kidding about me extensions. Dese dreads be real, mon.
the discrepance is revealing ;)

DashaandSafin
02-12-2006, 08:47 AM
What disrespect! Seriously though, just becuase i did'nt do much supporting of our country ie: Buying tons of flags after 9/11, i was seen as unpatriotic by some of my fellow peers. What a steaming pile of crap. So how many flags i buy is equated to how patriotic i am?

Just beucase Andy didnt take off his sunglasses means he is unpatriotic? I guess its another reason to bash Andy.

pound cat
02-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Hairpieces are wigs for men...aka rugs, usually to cover baldness. Ben Affleck is suspected of wearing a hairpiece. Think of actors whose hair looks too thick and perfect looking to be true..

Yours!05
02-12-2006, 09:02 AM
USA might regret bringing the Military to Davis Cup someday when playing a tie in Liberia, or someplace (not that there's anything wrong with that).:)

Rickson
02-12-2006, 10:04 AM

I seriously doubt you'll get through to Andy, but I guess lecturing him from afar can be fun for you. Personally, I find it more interesting to talk about the pros than to attempt making contact with them.

alexmath2
02-12-2006, 11:04 AM
I would bet members of the military don't wear their sunglasses during the anthem. It seems like a minor courtesy that should be observed regardless of the anthem being played.

vllockhart
02-12-2006, 11:19 AM
He meant if we can't wear shades, then what's next on the list? Hair-pieces (hair ties, clips, pins) and wigs?

Oh. I...get....it...:neutral:

ShooterMcMarco
02-12-2006, 12:10 PM

Me too, I hate when people over do it.

gaspard
02-12-2006, 12:46 PM
Who cares? Patriotism has to be one of the most overrated virtues in existence. I would'nt even call it a virtue. It has to be up there in the top five of things that have caused the most death and devastation on this planet. Only a patriot could say something as stupid as,'my country right or wrong'. Totally idiotic and devoid of all common sense.

Gaspard

fishuuuuu
02-12-2006, 01:02 PM
Who cares? Patriotism has to be one of the most overrated virtues in existence. I would'nt even call it a virtue. It has to be up there in the top five of things that have caused the most death and devastation on this planet. Only a patriot could say something as stupid as,'my country right or wrong'. Totally idiotic and devoid of all common sense.

Gaspard

pa·tri·ot Audio pronunciation of "patriot" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ptr-t, -t)
n.

One who loves, supports, and defends one's country.

I thoroughly enjoy these self-ordained "patriots" who do oh-so-much for their country that they believe they have the right to call others out.

PS. I was kind of agreeing with you Gaspard, just so you aren't confused :D

Chopin
02-12-2006, 01:06 PM

True, but the melody is pretty awful/ridiculously difficult to sing to begin with...the words aren't the meaningful for America as a whole either. However, I don't think most people would take well to changing it so I guess we're stuck with it. :-)

vllockhart
02-12-2006, 01:19 PM
Speaking of killing the Anthem, did anyone see Aretha Franklin and Aaron Neville sing it at the Super Bowl? Was there a melody?

I'm all for enthusiastic renditions, but this had to be worst display ever. Almost as bad as that old dude doing that chicken strut dance during the halftime show. :mrgreen:

devila
02-12-2006, 01:31 PM
What's sad is I can sing better than Aretha.

jamumafa
02-12-2006, 02:31 PM
God Roddick is so unpatriotic. I mean why doesn't he play tennis is nothing but a American flag draped over his naked body and some American Flag style Babolat shoes. In fact, He's such a un-patriotic idiot, that his new Babolat has the nerve - has the NERVE!!- not to be i the colours of the American flag.

I mean , doesnt EVERY tennis player do that. I knw i do, when i play for my club i play naked and just paint myself in my clubs colours.

This is the most genuine reason i've seen to bash Roddick in a long while.

Audiodude
02-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Some people think that people like Toby Keith are patriotic. If you don't agree with us we'll beat you up. If that's patriotism, I don't want anything to do with it.

Mike

devila
02-12-2006, 03:20 PM
:lol: If you're the Davis Cup king of America, you should vomit for your country.

fishuuuuu
02-12-2006, 03:24 PM
:lol: If you're the Davis Cup king of America, you should vomit for your country.

This doesn't make sense either.

Tennis_Monk
02-12-2006, 04:59 PM
what does patriotism mean?... just taking off hat& sun shades and standig up while national anthem is sung?

Andy is probably more patritotic than most of the people who are posting [in my opinion]. He is representing his country and has given many wins to his country over the past few years.

Patriotism comes from heart and real actions. not by mere display!.

If someone really feel they are more patriotic than him, then learn to play better and show that you can belong to the elite list.

Rusedski Fan
02-12-2006, 05:19 PM
Hey guys, I am not a Roddick basher like alot of people on this board.

I just think it is respectful to take your shades off during the national anthem.

Anyone on this board think that Andy might be losing more than his mojo?

I see him being smug on interviews, rude to linesman, chair umpires, and tough on coaches.

He has fired three coaches after 1st round loses at a major? Why? Did they play for him? No. He lost and will not change his return, that is the only thing he needs to start winning bigger matches. Yes, the back hand is getting better, put his return is lousy.

I want to see him lead the US, not be a smug brat. The Bryan twins represent the US with class all the way, all the time. That is all I am saying. I will be at the Memphis tourney from qualies to the final. I hope to see Roddick and the Brian Brothers play well.

Being a Rusedski fan has no bearing on this thread. Rusedski's mum is from England so he is British for the last time. Why would Rusedski stay in Canada? Tennis is not happening in Canada and they are not giving money to young and up and coming players. Is Bagdatis not a Cipriot? He trained in France. Is Safin not Russian?, He trained in Spain. The difference between Rusedski, Safin, and Bagdatis is that Greg's mum is British so he is British. Thanks for playing.

Tennis_Monk
02-12-2006, 05:57 PM

I just think it is respectful to take your shades off during the national anthem.

I see him being smug on interviews, rude to linesman, chair umpires, and tough on coaches.

He has fired three coaches after 1st round loses at a major? Why? Did they play for him? No. He lost and will not change his return, that is the only thing he needs to start winning bigger matches. Yes, the back hand is getting better, put his return is lousy.

I want to see him lead the US, not be a smug brat. The Bryan twins represent the US with class all the way, all the time. That is all I am saying. I will be at the Memphis tourney from qualies to the final. I hope to see Roddick and the Brian Brothers play well.

Being a Rusedski fan has no bearing on this thread. Rusedski's mum is from England so he is British for the last time. Why would Rusedski stay in Canada? Tennis is not happening in Canada and they are not giving money to young and up and coming players. Is Bagdatis not a Cipriot? He trained in France. Is Safin not Russian?, He trained in Spain. The difference between Rusedski, Safin, and Bagdatis is that Greg's mum is British so he is British. Thanks for playing.

I dunno enough abt rusedksi. But i am assuming his dad is canadian. So why is he just British and not canadian?. I mean i can understand he can belong to both nations. Training in a different country is an entirely diff concept. They are just getting trained .

Again i believe nationaity and etc are purely personal. So i respect Rusedski's choice whatever he made for himself based on what he felt does him more good. But certainly people trying to support whatever he did in terms of some national patriotism.......in my opinion doesnt hold water.

slice bh compliment
02-13-2006, 04:23 AM

I want to see him lead the US, not be a smug brat. ....

Absolutely.

jamumafa
02-13-2006, 04:33 AM
Why do players fire coaches? I mean coaches (legally) can't talk to them on court, and off court, how hard is it to realise what you're doing wrong?

I guess coaches can provide moral support etc

slice bh compliment
02-13-2006, 04:36 AM

Whoa. I must have hit a nerve. Thank you for your empassioned plea...and for thanking us for playing. That is always nice to hear.

Now, the ol' "Mum is British" was not really the point. I was referring to the fact that Greg professionally represented his native Canada, then decided to make use of his dual citizenship in the MIDDLE of his career. That's all.

Your Safin/Baghdatis examples would only hold water if Greg had GROWN UP and trained in the UK...AND if Marat and Marcos switched Davis Cup teams to play for Spain and France.

Rabbit
02-13-2006, 06:05 AM

You ever watch baseball? Baseball players leave their shades on too, when the sun's out.

By your logic, all eyewear should be removed, even prescription?

What about people in wheel chairs, should they stand up?

Django
02-13-2006, 09:59 AM
By the looks of some folks in the stands at baseball games, Rabbit, I'd prefer they left their hats and shades ON during the anthem.

Rabbit
02-13-2006, 10:53 AM
I can sympathize.....LMAO

BiGGieStuFF
02-13-2006, 11:18 AM
I was asked to take off my prosthetic leg during the anthem, thus causing me not able to stand. Then I was yelled at for not standing during the anthem so I put my prosthetic back on.

Oh the vicious cycle *tears*

Freedom
02-13-2006, 12:25 PM

Gaspard

Thank you.

MonkeyPox
02-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Rusedski acts like a weasel. At least Andy only looks like one.

West Coast Ace
02-13-2006, 07:12 PM
I didn't read all the posts on this, in case this was already mentioned:

But as much as I don't respect Roddick (and there are plenty of legit things to rag him on) I have no problem with him wearing the shades. Does anyone remember the surgery JenCap had to have? These people are out in the sun a lot and it takes a toll on their eyes. And last time I checked you only get two - they don't grow back like teeth or fingernails.