PDA

View Full Version : Had it with my clubs stringing service

Robert Jones
06-12-2004, 10:23 AM
I'm at my last straw with my local clubs stringing service.

Last three string jobs have been over a week.

Last two have been done with wrong string. I order one type and end up with another. They hire college kids that have no clue whats going on. I call and check to see if they are done and all they say is they are sitting here but I don't know why they are not done, we will call you back. The call never comes, I call back a few days later and get new girl but same story. I mean if there is a problem just leave a note on the sticks so the weekend girls have an idea on whats the hold up.

Its usually something like they copied the wrong string on the order tag or something. I have been just taking the stick and figured that one time is no big deal. But now its 3 times in a row. This time two different racquets and no idea when they will be done and its 8 days now.

So I'm moving on to somewhere else. There is a Galyan's Sports store in my area. I called them and asked if they string. They said they do and if I buy strings from them they string for FREE. If I bring my own strings in its only $5.00. They have a 2-3 day turn around.

It sounds too good to be true. Anyone here every tried them for stringing??

bsandy
06-12-2004, 11:39 AM
Where are you Bob ?

Robert Jones
06-12-2004, 12:00 PM
I'm in Lansing Michigan.

gmlasam
06-12-2004, 01:01 PM
I'm at my last straw with my local clubs stringing service.

Last three string jobs have been over a week.

Last two have been done with wrong string. I order one type and end up with another. They hire college kids that have no clue whats going on. I call and check to see if they are done and all they say is they are sitting here but I don't know why they are not done, we will call you back. The call never comes, I call back a few days later and get new girl but same story. I mean if there is a problem just leave a note on the sticks so the weekend girls have an idea on whats the hold up.

Its usually something like they copied the wrong string on the order tag or something. I have been just taking the stick and figured that one time is no big deal. But now its 3 times in a row. This time two different racquets and no idea when they will be done and its 8 days now.

So I'm moving on to somewhere else. There is a Galyan's Sports store in my area. I called them and asked if they string. They said they do and if I buy strings from them they string for FREE. If I bring my own strings in its only $5.00. They have a 2-3 day turn around.

It sounds too good to be true. Anyone here every tried them for stringing??This is a good example on why investing on a stringing machine and learning how to string yourself is a great idea. I invested on a drop-weight table top stringer 5 years ago, and I haven't taken my racquets for a stringing job since.

prince
06-12-2004, 01:10 PM
i bought a ms200TT last january and so far i have strung about 46 racquets for me and for friends. - in 6 months i have recovered half or more of what the stringing machine cost.

I do a very decent and consistent string job better than the stringers here IMO- and no hassles .
Maybe in 1 year ill recover most of what i paid for the stringer.

bsandy
06-12-2004, 02:24 PM
i bought a ms200TT last january and so far i have strung about 46 racquets for me and for friends. - in 6 months i have recovered half or more of what the stringing machine cost.

I do a very decent and consistent string job better than the stringers here IMO- and no hassles .
Maybe in 1 year ill recover most of what i paid for the stringer.

Are you telling me, I shouldn't string my friend's for free ??

. . . Bud

bsandy
06-12-2004, 02:26 PM
Robert . . . eMail me please at BSandy@yahoo.com . . . I need to get a Lansing Lugnuts jersey for my son . . . Can you help ???

. . . Bud

TennsDog
06-13-2004, 02:40 PM
I also live in Lansing, MI and, while I have not gone to Galyan's for stringing, I did used to go to Dunham's. They had the same deal, buy strings and string for free or provide your own and string for $5 or $10. It was good, they did a good job. However, I, for whatever reason, switched to MC Sports. Bad idea. They took over 2 weeks for one of my jobs and they didn't even straighten the strings after stringing (minor, I know, but it's the small things that makes a good business). The problem is that there are no tennis specialy stores so no one really knows a whole lot about what's going on. What I did after that 2 week string job was went out and got my own stringer for about $90. That was a great investment. I have had it for over 1.5 yrs now and it has probably paid for itself about 5 times over now. If you have problems with string jobs, consider buying your own stringer, especially if you break strings even semi-often or if you can string other people's rackets and make some extra money.

swedishstar
06-16-2004, 04:41 PM
I get my string jobs done the same day, if not ready to pick up on the next.

David Pavlich
06-17-2004, 07:00 PM
If you have a specialty shop around, check with them. We may charge a little more, but, in my case, I guarantee 24 hour turnaround and I do a very good job.

My store has names on just about everything...Wilson, Bollé, Nike, Volkl, etc. But the stringing is mine; it's the only product that includes my signature, so I make sure it's as good as it can be. I think you'll find most shops where the stringer has a personal stake in results will provide you with very good service.

David

Stinkdyr
06-18-2004, 12:00 PM
When my friends ask me to string their racquets for free just cuz I own a stringing machine, I ask them to rake my lawn cuz they own a rake. :->