PDA

View Full Version : Andy's sickness in Davis Cup

sureshs
02-12-2006, 05:08 PM
We all know he was throwing up and nauseous and was given IV drips for hydration after the first tie. He was in reasonable shape for today's tie I thought, though still playing very very defensive from way back and slicing a lot, even when comfortably ahead against a no-name.

He should be used to the hot weather we have had in San Diego/La Jolla last few days since he lives in Florida.

Any further information or speculation about why this happened? He himself ruled out food poisoning.

splink779
02-12-2006, 05:53 PM
Probably realizing he can't do anything right. I like Roddick but he needs to figure something out.

Amone
02-12-2006, 06:02 PM
In what way do you mean, Splink? I mean, I just need some clarification on your intention. Do you mean that he needs to have something click, like Federer needed his backhand to click? Or, are you saying that he needs to shut up, sit down, and just do it? Or are you saying that he's a great guy, but if he can't get his head out of his *** he should retire? Etc.

splink779
02-12-2006, 06:09 PM
In what way do you mean, Splink? I mean, I just need some clarification on your intention. Do you mean that he needs to have something click, like Federer needed his backhand to click? Or, are you saying that he needs to shut up, sit down, and just do it? Or are you saying that he's a great guy, but if he can't get his head out of his *** he should retire? Etc.

I'm saying he needs to hire John McEnroe as his coach :) Seriously

sureshs
02-12-2006, 06:25 PM
Guys at the club today were quite harsh on him so my interest. I pointed out he played 5 sets and did not pull a "Justine", but they were unconvinced, specially the older guys. They were saying he probably partied too much the days before and did not train hard. But PMac would not have allowed that?

As a side note, JMac the commentator for Davis Cup was asked about Justine in the AO final, and only said it was unfortunate and he wasn't sure how bad she felt. Quite an unexpected reply from Mr. Opinionated. Are guys on this board unreasonably harsh on her then?

BTW, he also said that Fed should be "raked over coals" for not playing Davis Cup for Switzerland.

sureshs
02-12-2006, 06:31 PM
Oh, wanted to add that JMac made a comment about Andy's blue wristband. He wasn't sure what it was for - "God bless America" or something he said. I know it is for "No compromise", the kid's charity he does. Anyways, JMac said that the band was annoying to Andy and he was getting distracted. From then on, I had to focus on the band you know, and sure enough Andy kept doing a wiggling motion of his hand to loosen the band every so often.

So the cause of his Mojo loss is clear - the band is distracting him!

devila
02-12-2006, 06:34 PM
The last 2 years, he had injuries, food allergies and emotional problems.
In addition, he went to tennis promotions and exhibitions many nights.

Roddick ate a lot of pizza and vomited in Paris. He played 3 DC matches, damaged his elbow and needed smelling salts to stay awake in Thailand.

He was around polluted air and flu virus-filled cities, he ate too fast, and couldn't handle it.

'Mr. Spin' Capt. Mc thought it had nothing to do with physical weakness.
Pat said he himself would be sick too because he ate the same food.
Pmc compared Roddick to a singer, his wife's friend, vomiting due to stress.
That's bulls-t.

Noelle
02-12-2006, 06:44 PM
Andy kept doing a wiggling motion of his hand to loosen the band every so often.

So the cause of his Mojo loss is clear - the band is distracting him!If Andy didn't have the "No Compromise" band, he'd have a rubber band on that wrist (like the one that's tied on his racquet). It's just his thing, I guess.

splink779
02-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Oh, wanted to add that JMac made a comment about Andy's blue wristband. He wasn't sure what it was for - "God bless America" or something he said. I know it is for "No compromise", the kid's charity he does. Anyways, JMac said that the band was annoying to Andy and he was getting distracted. From then on, I had to focus on the band you know, and sure enough Andy kept doing a wiggling motion of his hand to loosen the band every so often.

So the cause of his Mojo loss is clear - the band is distracting him!

He's been shaking his wrist like that ever since he put it on 2 years ago (i think it was 2 years). It drives me absolutely insane! Especially when he shakes it during rallies!

devila
02-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Yes, he has no confidence in his game and forgot how to serve too.
Returning serve's hard as hell, but he's unconscientious that the wrist band flicking disturbs his rhythm and power.
It's like he's satisfied to reach a semifinal and rush to a charity or his own charity event.

sureshs
02-12-2006, 07:16 PM
He's been shaking his wrist like that ever since he put it on 2 years ago (i think it was 2 years). It drives me absolutely insane! Especially when he shakes it during rallies!

But Noelle says he always had some band or the other?

splink779
02-12-2006, 07:35 PM
But Noelle says he always had some band or the other?

Well, since I happen to sell matches on DVD, I happned to be making a copy of the 2003 USO final and just checked - he did not have anything on his wrist. Maybe we should move on though, this is a pretty dumb issue.

JonWood
02-12-2006, 11:29 PM
We all know he was throwing up and nauseous and was given IV drips for hydration after the first tie. He was in reasonable shape for today's tie I thought, though still playing very very defensive from way back and slicing a lot, even when comfortably ahead against a no-name.

He should be used to the hot weather we have had in San Diego/La Jolla last few days since he lives in Florida.

Any further information or speculation about why this happened? He himself ruled out food poisoning.

USED to live in Florida, now he is in Texas

AngeloDS
02-12-2006, 11:42 PM
My friend was at a restaurant in California while he was on a business trip for Boeing. He was eating his 30 oz steak and his co-worker pointed out that Andy Roddick was just sitting behind them :o eating haha.

A-freaking-mazing.

Ripper
02-13-2006, 09:08 AM
My friend was at a restaurant in California while he was on a business trip for Boeing. He was eating his 30 oz steak and his co-worker pointed out that Andy Roddick was just sitting behind them :o eating haha.

A-freaking-mazing.

"It's a small world after all..."

jackson vile
02-13-2006, 09:55 AM
Probably realizing he can't do anything right. I like Roddick but he needs to figure something out.

You are right on, he has been looking so stressed ever since he could not produce after winning the US Open. Looks like he does not take care of himself, looks like and sounds like he has no self confidence at all.

I just really think that Andy is soon to stop playing all together, I feel sory for the guy, but he has got to make decisions and stick to them no matter what hell may come.

pound cat
02-13-2006, 02:55 PM
I'm saying he needs to hire John McEnroe as his coach :) Seriously

Now, do you really think J Mac would have the patience to be Andy's coach. You cannot be serious. LOL

devila
02-13-2006, 03:31 PM
Roddick now has competition for top spot
by Matthew Cronin
tennisreporters.net
“A nice, thick steak and some vegetables,” Roddick said.
---------------------------"Andy's an emotional and intense guy," McEnroe said. "I like how intense he gets, but maybe it's my fault for not helping him strike a better balance. Sometimes his stomach gets upset. Some great athletes throw up before every match. Fortunately, he doesn't do that."

tangerine
02-13-2006, 05:16 PM

He didn't play defensively at all in the first rubber against Pavel. My guess is that he was still feeling the effects of his sickness or, was trying to play more calmly in order to avoid another upset stomach.

From SI.com:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/tennis/02/12/davis.cup.sunday.ap/index.html

"I was just trying to maintain energy and keep on an even keel out there today," Roddick said after his 6-3, 6-3, 6-2 win.

Following Roddick's loss to Andrei Pavel in the best-of-five opener, U.S. captain Patrick McEnroe pointed out how fired-up Roddick gets for Davis Cup matches, and said he hoped to help him remain calm for his second match.

"I just wanted him to relaxed, not get too hyped-up," McEnroe explained after Roddick's win over Sabau. "I wanted to see him sort of calm out there, trust his game and his ability."

The 23-year-old Roddick said he's constantly learning, and wasn't sure whether the "calm" approach would work every time.

"Even the calmest guys, you see Pete [Sampras] get fired-up sometimes," he said. "But I think it's something that can definitely be learned, and especially in Davis Cup matches when tensions are high, kind of learn just to take it down a little bit.

"Maybe today was the start of it, who knows?"

-----
http://roddickwatch.blogspot.com/

sureshs
02-13-2006, 05:37 PM
He didn't play defensively at all in the first rubber against Pavel. My guess is that he was still feeling the effects of his sickness or, was trying to play more calmly in order to avoid another upset stomach.

Interesting you say that, because JMac mentioned several times how far behind the baseline he was playing.