PDA

View Full Version : Which match made you really aware of Federer's Sublime Talent and HistoricalPotential

Grigollif1
02-12-2006, 05:32 PM
In my view, was that amazing run he had at the 2003 MS Cup. In particular his match against Andre Agassi in which he was Hitting some great shots that we have now , Grown Accostumed to seeing it. If I recall correctly in after that Match, Agassi Spelled out "You have raised the bar very High and is because Guys like you, That I will challenge myself to become even better next year".

Warriorroger
02-13-2006, 05:19 AM
It was a match he played at the us open a couple of years ago. He was wearing the red nike outfit. He think he was playing against Haas and Federer hit some unbelievable shots.

slice bh compliment
02-13-2006, 07:09 AM
Sublime talent:
a) 2001 Paris, FRA. I felt lucky to be there as he completely outclassed and totally overpowered Todd Martin (a very solid claycourt player at the time) at Roland Garros. RF displayed his startling ability to turn defense into offense.
b) 2001 London SW19. The obvious answer -- that famous 5 set win over Pete Sampras on Centre Court.
c) 2001 Queens, NY. Late in the day on an outside court at the Open, there was this blur of a doubles match between two Swiss kids and two American veterans. Roger absolutely lit up the court. It was not even fair.

Historical POTENTIAL:
a) 2003 London SW19. When he beat Roddick and Flip to win Wimbledon for the first time.
b) Melbourne, Victoria / Houston, TX / Queens, NY etc. You gradually realize his potential to break records as he keeps doing it to the likes of Safin, Agassi, Hewitt et al in the finals of the really big tournaments.

babbette
02-13-2006, 07:11 AM
for god sakes

vllockhart
02-13-2006, 07:30 AM
That match against Agassi at the Masters Cup. Andre had match points, but couldn't close it out. Federer came up with remarkable stuff. That was when he entered the "scary" category for me.

Tabasco
02-13-2006, 08:02 AM
The year he killed Safin at that one clay court tournament. Think it was hamburg in 03?

Rabbit
02-13-2006, 08:34 AM
I wasn't aware of his "sublime talent and historical potential" until this very moment. What an ephiany!

FalconX
02-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Daviscup versus the US.

DashaandSafin
02-13-2006, 09:03 AM
TMS 0'3, final against Agassi. Absolutly demolished him.. 6-0 in one set. During that match, even i felt hopless against Federer. I felt like there was no shot that Agassi could hit w/o Federer destroying it.

Moose Malloy
02-13-2006, 12:30 PM
a) 2001 Paris, FRA. I felt lucky to be there as he completely outclassed and totally overpowered Todd Martin (a very solid claycourt player at the time) at Roland Garros. RF displayed his startling ability to turn defense into offense.

Umm, they never played at the French. Sounds like a great match, though:)

slice bh compliment
02-13-2006, 01:29 PM
Umm, they never played at the French. Sounds like a great match, though:)

Nice catch, man! How the heck did Todd Martin jump into my head?
I think it was actually one of the Spanish guys that Federer defeated that day. David Sanchez, 4th round, I believe. Anyway, you get the idea....at the time, a highly touted Spanish claycourter was no match for a flowing young Rogi.

arosen
02-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Roger v.s. Pete at Wimby, I could see that something very special was happening, Pete was playing great, but this swiss kid was something special, kind of "who the heck is this kid" special.

jamauss
02-13-2006, 02:11 PM
Definitely Fed vs. Sampras at Wimby, 2001. Pete wasn't even playing poorly but Fed was still taking it to him on Pete's fav. surface.

FedererUberAlles
02-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Wimbledon 2001. Totally unreal. I've never see someone take Pete's serve down like that.

Grigollif1
02-13-2006, 04:31 PM
Alright I added the Poll, to make things more Interesting...

Shaolin
02-13-2006, 04:43 PM
Beating USA single handedly in Davis Cup (2001?)

VS Haas at AO (2002), superb match even though he lost

Beating Hewitt in Miami Semifinal (2002), crushing Hewitt with unreal variety and shotmaking when Hewitt was at his best.

fastdunn
02-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Daviscup versus the US.

This probably was the one people started to notice of him
(which unfortunately had not had chance to watch).

I remember Pat McAnroe mentioned he felt Fed was
a some player.

I don't think there was single match made me to notice Fed.
I saw a guy who still played with the original Wilson Pro Staff.
I was like what 's up with this guy still play with that stick ?

Then this guy keeps making shots that looked like a mis-hit
or lucky shot. Then this guy keeps making those shots
over and over again.

We're all used to the shots Fed hits now but I can tell you
that I thought he mis-hits and luckily make it many of
shots he'e playing....

gaspard
02-13-2006, 05:09 PM
I came to know of federer in 1999/2000. Commentators where talking about him as a talent and potential No.1, even then. I thought he was good, but Safin impressed me much more. I remember actually predicting to my flatmate that Safin would dominate in the future as the No.1 and Federer, at best, would get to No.2. Even when he beat Sampras, I did not see enough there that changed my opinion that much, I mean, he lost to Henman in the next round. The point at which I totally changed my mind and realised this guy would not only get to No.1, but would dominate and could arguably be the best of all time, was the 2003 Wimbledon semi-final against Roddick. Of all of his matches, this has been the one that has impressed me the most, with the possible exception of the US Open final against Hewitt. What he was doing in that semi was just silly. There was one shot, in particular, that had me screaming at the screen. A slice with no pace, from Roddick, had just crept over the net, around the centre of the court, almost a dropshot. Federer came in toward it, inside the service line, and on the forehand side took a full swing to hit it on the half volley for a winner, crosscourt. I mean, he was inches from the net. Totally outrageous shot. Anyway, that was the match that really confirmed federers superiority for me.

Gaspard

Turning Pro
02-13-2006, 05:17 PM
It was unbelievable to see him tear roddick in 2003 wimby.I thought roddick would monster him with his 149mph serve.

spinbalz
02-13-2006, 06:30 PM
Davis cup against France, a few monthes before he wins his First Wimbledon, immediately after that match, I posted that Federer would finish the Year N1... And some call me names and made their best to explain how stupid I was, and how there was nothing in his game that could backup my expectations about him.

Now I admit that I was wrong, because that year, he only won 1 Slam (Wimbledon), and finished only N2 behind Roddick, not without winning the year end master cup.:( Then of course, it took only a few more weeks For Roger to reach the N1 spot by winning the Aus Open! ;)

dtmmfam
02-13-2006, 07:50 PM
yea, definitely the 2003 semi against roddick. 1 shot that stuck to mind was that half volley forehand drive........

snowpuppy
02-13-2006, 08:25 PM
the 2003 MC verus agassi. I just started watching pro tennis a little before and it was also my first time watching a federer match. I mean, did you see how he made agassi looked like he was standing still? And i was thinking isn't he suppose to be the greatest (active) returner in the game? And did i mention those incredibly sweet down the line backhands! (which he don't do as much anymore to my sadness) If anything the backhand did it.

rfprse
02-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Talent: 2002 Miami & Hamburg
Historical potential: 2003 Wimbledon & Masters Cup

Grigollif1
02-14-2006, 01:56 AM
Talent: 2002 Miami & Hamburg
Historical potential: 2003 Wimbledon & Masters Cup

I agree with that. In Hamburg I was very surprised to see how he was able to leave Safin (who was having one fo His best year in 2002) Hopeless. Then in the MC 2003 you just had that feeling that he was really a special talent..

omigod
02-14-2006, 03:30 AM
Sydney Olympics 2000
http://espn.go.com/oly/summer00/results/tennis.html

Watched Fed (in person) reeled one incredible shot after another and wondered who was this guy and why I haven't heard of the man.

Men's singles quarterfinals:
Roger Federer (Switzerland) def. Karim Alami (Morocco) 7-6 (7-2), 6-1

Tennis_Goodness
02-14-2006, 09:03 AM
It was the 2003 MC for me. I had just gotton into tennis a year before and say Federer a couple of times and was impressed with his Wimby performence but when he beat everybody at the 2003 MC, I knew he was the best.