PDA

View Full Version : What does everyone think of the Nadal Federer rivaly

splink779
02-12-2006, 04:49 PM
Nadal currently leads 2-1. Now that Nadal is beginnning the year at 2 he and Federer will probably meet in so many finals this year. I'm thinking they may play at least 5 times this year. No doubt they will reach the finals together in some of the big ones like Miami, Roland Garros, Montreal, etc.

I can't comment on his form right now, but Nadal has beaten Federer easily on clay and hard, and Federer barely beat Nadal on a hard court. How do you think their rivalry will develop? I think Nadal will stay ahead in their head to head this year. I am just way to excited to see them play each other this year!

Shabazza
02-12-2006, 05:22 PM
Nadal currently leads 2-1. Now that Nadal is beginnning the year at 2 he and Federer will probably meet in so many finals this year. I'm thinking they may play at least 5 times this year. No doubt they will reach the finals together in some of the big ones like Miami, Roland Garros, Montreal, etc.

I can't comment on his form right now, but Nadal has beaten Federer easily on clay and hard, and Federer barely beat Nadal on a hard court. How do you think their rivalry will develop? I think Nadal will stay ahead in their head to head this year. I am just way to excited to see them play each other this year!
As excited as I am, too, I doubt they'll play 5 matches this year. Somehow they tend to avoid each or get injured etc. - My expectations for a worthy rivalry with enough matches played this year are quite low! :|
Saying that, I would love to see them meet soon, preferably at Dubai, where I would give Fed the edge as Nadal don't know the court and Federer's record there speaks for itself. He just loves this tournament, it's like his homecourt + Nadal is coming back from injury and needs more matches to find his rhythm, imho.

If they should somehow meet more than 4-5 times (unlikely) I would give Fed the edge at the end of the year. He doesn't get beaten 2-3 times in a row by the same player anymore.

VGP
02-12-2006, 06:24 PM
Federer should be able to figure Nadal out. I'm not really expecting much of a "rivalry" from here on out. I don't think that 2-1 could be considered a rivalry. Federer-Nalbandian is a rivalry.

The reason I feel this way is that Federer will develop an effective game plan. Nadal isn't that great on faster surfaces. Nadal's recent injury seems to have given him a dose of reality, that he's not invincible. I expect this to have a negative effect on him mentally. I know Federer's had his own ankle injury but it seems he's fighting through it.

fishuuuuu
02-12-2006, 06:46 PM
Federer should be able to figure Nadal out. I'm not really expecting much of a "rivalry" from here on out. I don't think that 2-1 could be considered a rivalry. Federer-Nalbandian is a rivalry.

The reason I feel this way is that Federer will develop an effective game plan. Nadal isn't that great on faster surfaces. Nadal's recent injury seems to have given him a dose of reality, that he's not invincible. I expect this to have a negative effect on him mentally. I know Federer's had his own ankle injury but it seems he's fighting through it.

Also, I'd say he's doing damn well especially to snag a major too.

Warriorroger
02-13-2006, 12:38 AM
It reminds me of the Graf - Seles rivalry. Federer's dominance reminds me of Graf's dominance.

Yours!05
02-13-2006, 12:45 AM
It reminds me of the Graf - Seles rivalry. Please don't post about the stabbing. I apoligize to the other posters if this happen, I only want to say Federer's dominance reminds me of Graf's dominance.Please DON'T!? You invited stabbing posts by saying that, as you know.

superman1
02-13-2006, 01:09 AM
It's hard to say because they haven't played much in the past and we don't know what Nadal's condition is. Right now I don't see anyone beating Federer, including Nadal. I'm sure Federer has figured the kid out by now.

jamumafa
02-13-2006, 03:24 AM
Please DON'T!? You invited stabbing posts by saying that, as you know.

Exactly, yet people don't notice

Warriorroger
02-13-2006, 03:58 AM
If Nadal doesn't overcome this footinjury soon, I am afraid that someone else will have to battle it out with Roger. Marat is the only one who can match him in talent, but others will get ****ed by losing and start improving, it's natural. I hope Roger goes for the Grand Slam and a couple of bagels, he has a tendency to be a bit too loose on the court. But what a player. Hope Nadal recovers, he is a hard worker and talent.

oscar_2424
02-13-2006, 04:09 AM
I think Nadal is gonna dominate Federer except on grass courts

J-man
02-13-2006, 04:13 AM
i think federer will lead there rilvary by the end of the year. but it will be close. federer's best chance of beating nadal is right now when he's coming of an injury

Warriorroger
02-13-2006, 04:16 AM

How will he dominate Federer? He has a very good game, but one-dimensional, can't see it happen, but perhaps you're right.

tenalyser
02-13-2006, 04:35 AM
i think federer will lead there rilvary by the end of the year. but it will be close. federer's best chance of beating nadal is right now when he's coming of an injury

I hope this is a joke right? Nadal needs to be injured so that Federer can beat him :confused: . I know that Nadal is the current best clay court player, but saying things like this makes me really wonder if some of you guys actually have ever seen Federer play.

Grimjack
02-13-2006, 05:14 AM
It reminds me of the Graf - Seles rivalry. Federer's dominance reminds me of Graf's dominance.

When Seles and Graf were both healthy and playing at the same time, Seles was world #1, and won virtually every slam in sight, coming up short only at the one, oddball slam that happened to be on the surface that was both Graf's best and Seles's worst.

I think you've got this analogy backwards.

vllockhart
02-13-2006, 05:38 AM
Can't wait to see more of it.

Galactus
02-13-2006, 06:24 AM
Depends on how slow all tournament surfaces become over the next few years. The slower they become, the more chance Nadal will have of winning.

splink779
02-13-2006, 06:37 AM

I agree, but you can add carpet to grass. The sheer fact that Nadal's huge, heavy, spin loaded, kicking forehand goes crosscourt directly into Federer's 1 hander gives him a big advantage. If the ball gets to Federer's forehand, Fed cannot attack it as easily as most other player's. Nadal can also pass like none other, just in case Fed tries to serve and volley. Fed also won't be able to pull off that half court backhand slice to bait Nadal into the net (where he is currently a fish out of water) because Nadal will be there in a flash with his speed and with his western forehand (yeah right into his strenth :)) he will whip that thing for a winner most of the time instead of every other player who can only chip it crosscourt where Fed is waiting with a wicked backhand pass.

Warriorroger
02-13-2006, 07:00 AM
I agree, but you can add carpet to grass. The sheer fact that Nadal's huge, heavy, spin loaded, kicking forehand goes crosscourt directly into Federer's 1 hander gives him a big advantage. If the ball gets to Federer's forehand, Fed cannot attack it as easily as most other player's. Nadal can also pass like none other, just in case Fed tries to serve and volley. Fed also won't be able to pull off that half court backhand slice to bait Nadal into the net (where he is currently a fish out of water) because Nadal will be there in a flash with his speed and with his western forehand (yeah right into his strenth :)) he will whip that thing for a winner most of the time instead of every other player who can only chip it crosscourt where Fed is waiting with a wicked backhand pass.

Seeing is believing. Nadal won't dominate Federer.

splink779
02-13-2006, 07:09 AM
Seeing is believing. Nadal won't dominate Federer.

It's not like I'm just pulling this out of thin air though. I'm basing it on all 3 of their matches. And Nadal is only getting better as time goes on.

pound cat
02-13-2006, 07:13 AM
What rivalry? Nadal hasn't even played this year, and who knows how his tennis/injury will be when he returns. And Federer has already won a Slam.

Grimjack
02-13-2006, 07:48 AM
Nadal has been a non-factor in every slam in his career, except one. His slam history:

2003 AO -- was not yet ready for primetime, skipped it.
2003 French -- missed due to injury.
2003 Wimbledon -- straight set loss to a career underachiever.
2003 USO -- straight set loss to a career also-ran.

2004 AO -- straight set loss to a good player.
2004 French -- missed due to injury.
2004 Wimbledon -- missed due to injury.
2004 USO -- straight set, HUMILIATING, deer-in-headlights loss to Roddick.

2005 AO -- 5 set loss to good player (his only "other" decent slam)
2005 French -- win!
2005 Wimbledon -- 2nd round loss to a nobody, even with a "good" draw.
2005 USO -- 3rd round loss to career underachiever.

2006 AO -- missed due to injury.

His GS career is full of injuries (recurring, and getting more frequent), excuses, and embarrassing defeats. His FO win was terrific, but I see no evidence that he's either getting better, or able to stay on the court. He's a candy bone, and lacks the sack to show up on the big stage on a non-optimal surface.

This rivalry is a non-rivalry. This legend is a non-legend. Nadal's reputation is out of proportion with his accomplishments. Right now, he's Andres Gomez without the longevity.

RiosTheGenius
02-13-2006, 07:49 AM
don't really think much about it.

splink779
02-13-2006, 08:13 AM
Nadal has been a non-factor in every slam in his career, except one. His slam history:

2003 AO -- was not yet ready for primetime, skipped it.
2003 French -- missed due to injury.
2003 Wimbledon -- straight set loss to a career underachiever.
2003 USO -- straight set loss to a career also-ran.

2004 AO -- straight set loss to a good player.
2004 French -- missed due to injury.
2004 Wimbledon -- missed due to injury.
2004 USO -- straight set, HUMILIATING, deer-in-headlights loss to Roddick.

2005 AO -- 5 set loss to good player (his only "other" decent slam)
2005 French -- win!
2005 Wimbledon -- 2nd round loss to a nobody, even with a "good" draw.
2005 USO -- 3rd round loss to career underachiever.

2006 AO -- missed due to injury.

His GS career is full of injuries (recurring, and getting more frequent), excuses, and embarrassing defeats. His FO win was terrific, but I see no evidence that he's either getting better, or able to stay on the court. He's a candy bone, and lacks the sack to show up on the big stage on a non-optimal surface.

This rivalry is a non-rivalry. This legend is a non-legend. Nadal's reputation is out of proportion with his accomplishments. Right now, he's Andres Gomez without the longevity.

Its not very fair to bring up his 2003 2004 results. Nobody is going to do well when they are 16 or 17 years old, come on.

You think he lacks the sack to show up on the big stage? How about the 2 sets to 0 comeback against the big serving, red hot Ljubicic on an indoors hard court in Madrid, with dual knee injuries to win his FOURTH masters series of the year?

Turning Pro
02-13-2006, 09:50 AM
first of all i dont understand why fed stuggles with nadal.ive only ever seen them play once and it was at the french.what was miami like?i cant visualise it.Was it like haas at the aus open on fed.

Hal
02-13-2006, 10:03 AM
first of all i dont understand why fed stuggles with nadal.ive only ever seen them play once and it was at the french.what was miami like?i cant visualise it.Was it like haas at the aus open on fed.

From what the announcers said, the NASDAQ 100 courts are a VERY slow hardcourt. The match was nothing like the Fed/Haas match at AO. Fed was actually pretty lucky to win this match. I think Nadal got a bit tired and Fed proved why he's a champion.

As for the rivalry, I don't see them playing many matches. Since they'll both be seeded 1 and 2, that means botth will have to get through the draw to the finals. This doesn't happen that often. Plus, Nadal's health is in question, and unless he continues to improve and add more variety, I think other players are going to start figuring out his game.

thelazerbeam
02-13-2006, 11:28 AM
what rivalry?

Freedom
02-13-2006, 11:30 AM
I believe Federer will end up leading in head-to-head. Nadal owns him on clay, sure, but if Federer can come back from 2 sets down, a tournament the week before, and the Miami heat on hard courts...wow.

Federer leads.

el_profe
02-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Federer, easily, take Nadal out of the clay courts and slower hard courts and he is not even top 10 player, and federer still would beat him on slower hard courts.

The tennis guy
02-13-2006, 11:58 AM

There are so many players who can beat Nadal on US Open type of hardcourt that he wouldn't have a chance to play against Federer.

Nadal's chance is on slower courts in the first half the year. He has very little chance against Federer the second half the year.

8PAQ
02-13-2006, 12:17 PM
As long as both Nadal and Federer are ranked in the top 4, they will only meet in semis or in the finals. Nadal will most likely have difficulties reaching semis and finals in the fast surface tournaments. So it looks like he will mostly play Fed on clay and slow hard courts. So their head to head will be unfairly biased and misleading. It is almost as if Fed is getting penalized for getting far in clay court tournaments! So I think Nadal might be always ahead by a few matches.

In a perfect world where they would play each other in every slam in 2006, 2007 and 2008 I would expect to see following results:

AO: Nadal wins 2-1
FO: Nadal wins 2-1
W: Fed wins 3-0
USO: Fed wins 2-1

Total: Fed wins: 7 - 5

arosen
02-13-2006, 01:12 PM
They need to play more and on different surfaces. Given Nadal's current state of health, this rivalry is a big question mark.

Shabazza
02-13-2006, 01:26 PM
As long as both Nadal and Federer are ranked in the top 4, they will only meet in semis or in the finals. Nadal will most likely have difficulties reaching semis and finals in the fast surface tournaments. So it looks like he will mostly play Fed on clay and slow hard courts. So their head to head will be unfairly biased and misleading. It is almost as if Fed is getting penalized for getting far in clay court tournaments! So I think Nadal might be always ahead by a few matches.

In a perfect world where they would play each other in every slam in 2006, 2007 and 2008 I would expect to see following results:

AO: Nadal wins 2-1
FO: Nadal wins 2-1
W: Fed wins 3-0
USO: Fed wins 2-1

Total: Fed wins: 7 - 5

good point, I would agree with your GS results.

kbg
02-13-2006, 02:42 PM
Personally I think this rivalry is boring, as it doesn't produce high quality matches. I prefer a Safin-Federer rivalry or even a Gasquet-Federer rivalry because the shotmaking from both sides is usually so good. I'd even take a Baghdatis-Federer rivalry because I can get behind both players who have varied, creative games. Nadal's just a pusher.

Tennis_Goodness
02-13-2006, 03:20 PM
I think Federer is going to keep his number 1 position for quite some time, Nadal will probablly win a few matches but I don't think Nadal will be a threat to his number 1 ranking at all. Federer is just too good on every surface!

dmastous
02-13-2006, 03:24 PM
In order for a "rivalry" to exist there must be a history. a 2-1 match record, to me, doesn't indicate a rivalry. There is the possibility of a rivalry, but we will need to see things play out before calling this a rivalry.
Let's ask about the Federer/Nalbandian rivalry.

fastdunn
02-13-2006, 04:46 PM
I don't think Nadal is going to be that easy in the future
(if Nadal stays healthy of course)

Lefty with Nadal kind of talent will be always tricky to handle...
Tennis history proved it over and over again...

legolas
02-13-2006, 09:27 PM
i hope that roger does better

rafael
02-13-2006, 10:22 PM
Depends on the surface. Clay I give the obvious advantage to Nadal. Grass/Fast court Federer. medium pace either way.

go_nadal
02-14-2006, 01:55 AM
Personally I think this rivalry is boring, as it doesn't produce high quality matches. I prefer a Safin-Federer rivalry or even a Gasquet-Federer rivalry because the shotmaking from both sides is usually so good. I'd even take a Baghdatis-Federer rivalry because I can get behind both players who have varied, creative games. Nadal's just a pusher.
Please explain how he is a pusher????

edberg505
02-14-2006, 02:09 AM
Please explain how he is a pusher????

Well, it's not as if Nadal is known for hitting winners. He usually loops a bunch of high topspin balls back at his opponent as to cause an error.

ssuHeartsRivald
02-14-2006, 02:17 AM
i predict they'll meet each other 3 times this year in semi or final. 2-1 for Federer. Nadal need a longer recovery time to bring back his performance to the peak.

kbg
02-14-2006, 04:07 AM
Well, it's not as if Nadal is known for hitting winners. He usually loops a bunch of high topspin balls back at his opponent as to cause an error.

Yup, that's what I meant when I said he was a pusher. Some people dig it but I find that style of play really boring. I grew up admiring guys like Edberg, Sampras, Rafter or agressive baseliners like Agassi, Rios and Safin so counterpunching as a style of play never really appealed to me.

fastdunn
02-14-2006, 09:41 AM

Oh no. We wouldn't be that excited about Nadal if he was a simple
pusher. There are many difficult things to do in tennis.
Nadal executes those in critical moments. He is something
different from Hewitt who played percentage from early days
(as Wilander put about Hewitt). As Federer once said "People
do not realize how good Nadal can be!".

tenalyser
02-14-2006, 09:47 AM

And when did he say that?

edberg505
02-14-2006, 10:06 AM

Honestly, how many times have you seen Nadal hit winners at will like, Fed or Safin? Now make no mistake, he's deadly on the run which is when he can hit most of his winners. But aside from that, no way. I think I was watching a Nadal vs. Ferrer match and I could have sworn I was watching boys 10's. It was crazy. Every ball had like a 10ft clearance over the net. Watching Nadal play certain people can be exciting, but watching Fed play anyone is always exciting.

fastdunn
02-14-2006, 10:34 AM
Honestly, how many times have you seen Nadal hit winners at will like, Fed or Safin? Now make no mistake, he's deadly on the run which is when he can hit most of his winners. But aside from that, no way. I think I was watching a Nadal vs. Ferrer match and I could have sworn I was watching boys 10's. It was crazy. Every ball had like a 10ft clearance over the net. Watching Nadal play certain people can be exciting, but watching Fed play anyone is always exciting.

Nadal still shows shot making ability at critical moments.

But I do agree some clay court matches get boring.
In a way, everybody plays somewhat pusher on clay...

But look how Nadal "systemetically" neutralize Federer's
baseline game on hard courts. He does not hit many outright
winners but Nadal actively and systematically destroy his
opponents game. So I would refuse to classify him
as "pusher".

jings
02-15-2006, 12:52 AM
Not only does #1 and #2 seeding mean that they'll have maximum amount of trouble meeting at a tournament, given the shape of their schedules the last couple of years you can rule out them being in the same continent for 4 months of the year give or take. Supposedly nadal is going to play less on clay and more hard court tournaments but with the foot injury will he be able to play a heavier hard court schedule when he's got trouble on the clay? For anyone to claim Nadal owns Federer on clay after one meeting seems a bit over the top, and after 3 matches any shape to the head to head is inconclusive. Looking at the slams I see them meeting regularly at RG, not so often elsewhere.

Grimjack
02-15-2006, 03:50 AM
Looking at the slams I see them meeting regularly at RG, not so often elsewhere.

What in Nadal's history suggests that he'll be healthy enough to even play in more than one French Open out of every three?

Babblelot
02-15-2006, 08:59 AM
What in Nadal's history suggests that he'll be healthy enough to even play in more than one French Open out of every three?Opps, I'm in the wrong thread.

But I couldn't agree more with that, GJ.

Bogie
02-15-2006, 11:43 AM
What in Nadal's history suggests that he'll be healthy enough to even play in more than one French Open out of every three?

him playing in every possible tourny he could last year, winning 11 titles tied fed for best of the year, 1 being the french along with 4 masters series, a 44-2 record on clay and a 79-10 record all together, and he was able to win 2 out of his total 4 masters series tournies while injured as well, one being against ljubicic, and the other against coria (dont remember what exactly was wrong with him but i know for a fact that he wasn't 100%). sure he had an injury at the end of the year to keep him out of shanghai, but guess what s**t happens. by the way hes training and working out right now, i think hell be able to keep up his physical condition and i think thatll help him top out on fed sometime in the near future.

Kobulingam
02-21-2006, 08:31 AM
him playing in every possible tourny he could last year, winning 11 titles tied fed for best of the year, 1 being the french along with 4 masters series, a 44-2 record on clay and a 79-10 record all together, and he was able to win 2 out of his total 4 masters series tournies while injured as well, one being against ljubicic, and the other against coria (dont remember what exactly was wrong with him but i know for a fact that he wasn't 100%). sure he had an injury at the end of the year to keep him out of shanghai, but guess what s**t happens. by the way hes training and working out right now, i think hell be able to keep up his physical condition and i think thatll help him top out on fed sometime in the near future.

He's injured again. Foot problems. Tendinitis in knees. Thigh muscle problems. Body symmetry problems. Overweight problems.

His style will be his undoing.

sexmachine
02-21-2006, 08:37 AM
He won't keep his #2 spot if he ain't fit, i think injuries might be the story of his year...

Kobulingam
02-21-2006, 07:07 PM
He won't keep his #2 spot if he ain't fit, i think injuries might be the story of his year...

A lot of people knew this would happen. His style and his body are just injury prone. His body is so unsymmetrical, its a wonder that he had the season he had last year without injuries (until later in the year). He has to lay off the """supplements""" and start working out both sides of his body evenly. And he needs to change his style to put less stress on his joints.

arosen
02-21-2006, 07:22 PM
Rafa cannot change his style, it has been noted many times. It's like asking Roddick to serve and volley on every point. Disaster would follow.

Kobulingam
02-21-2006, 07:58 PM
Rafa cannot change his style, it has been noted many times. It's like asking Roddick to serve and volley on every point. Disaster would follow.

A young dog can be taught new tricks. He's only 19.

splink779
03-04-2006, 08:31 AM
Thought I should bring this back up. Try to make up an excuse for Federer this time. Or just realize that Nadal is a great player.

Docalex007
03-04-2006, 08:35 AM
Ok, ummmmm....OH....Federer, instead of eating Fruit Loops this morning, ate Crunch Berries....which threw off his game.

No seriously, Nadal is a good player and can be great at times (obviously he's not good like this everywhere). I actually think him winning today is better for tennis than if Federer were to have won. I mean, we do need a little bit of interest these days right?

babbette
03-04-2006, 08:40 AM
Ahemm...3-1 baby:D

Free_Martha
03-04-2006, 12:22 PM
What rivalry?

babbette
03-04-2006, 12:28 PM
What rivalry?
You know the one where out of their 4 meetings, Fed was beaten 3 times! Keep up :D

Aykhan Mammadov
03-04-2006, 01:46 PM
I think there is no way for such a rivalry. Fed's tennis is HIGHER for 1 head.

Only reason why he suddenly loses to Nadal is TREMBLING ( starting to think about his own defeat and how shamfull it will be). This TREMBLING is psychological fact and it usually is eliminated by time. More Fed loses, less he is regarded favourite, hence more relaxed he must play after a serie of defeats. So his chances is increasing because his tennis is undoubtly much higher. And chances for him to win FO this year are also increasing with every his defeat to Nadal despite this looks paradoxal.

Gilgamesh
03-04-2006, 03:09 PM
Tennis needs this rivalry.

If it lives up to its hype it will catapult the sport back into the spotlight.