PDA

View Full Version : Next round USA vs. Chile.......

VictorS.
02-12-2006, 08:58 PM
1. Which surface?

My pick would be grass. It makes perfect sense. The Chileans are more at home on the slow red clay and the grass would really neutralize their strengths. Although I think Gonzalez did play well at last year's Wimbledon. Roddick's best surface is obviously grass also.

2. Who's #2?

Blake and Ginepri are really neck and neck. Ginepri has the better ranking. However I think Blake beat him out based on his win in Sydney. Ginepri's lackluster performance in Melbourne didn't help matters. However, if P-Mac decides to play on grass, I would seriously consider Taylor Dent. His serve and volley of course translates well onto the grass. And Blake and Ginepri's results have been a bit spotty on grass. Dent, to me, would be the safer pick. I know the davis cup game is highly political, but I'd hate to see P-Mac go with Blake on grass simply to "keep him happy."

VamosRafa
02-12-2006, 09:04 PM
Andy has said he wants to play on grass. And we've heard lots of rumors about what City will host the event.

Winston-Salem and Delray seemed to be the front-runners, but there's lots of talk about Austin. ;-)

I think grass is the right decision, though. The Bryans can play on it; Andy certainly can, and I'd say James is the front runner for the fourth spot.

RiosTheGenius
02-12-2006, 09:19 PM
I can't see Gonzo losing any of his single matches regardless of the surface. that takes care of 2 pts. and the real task is to beat the bryans in the doubles, which Gonzo/massu did in Athens but this will be different because the twins are going to be at home and they're playing just incredible right at the moment. and as for Massu... I really doubt Massu will beat any of the singles on US soil, but definitely possible.
I think We're getting through this one though. Chile vs France in Semis.

VamosRafa
02-12-2006, 09:21 PM
I can't see Gonzo losing any of his single matches regardless of the surface. that takes care of 2 pts. and the real task is to beat the bryans in the doubles, which Gonzo/massu did in Athens but this will be different because the twins are going to be at home and they're playing just incredible right at the moment. and as for Massu... I really doubt Massu will beat any of the singles on US soil, but definitely possible.

You really think Gonzo will beat Roddick on grass in the USA? Hooolllaaaaa!

RiosTheGenius
02-12-2006, 09:23 PM
without a doubt. Blake will give Gonzo more problems than Roddick.... I think Massu might have a shot at beating Roddick too. If we don't get through the US I'm gonna be really upset

VamosRafa
02-12-2006, 09:27 PM
without a doubt. Blake will give Gonzo more problems than Roddick.... I think Massu might have a shot at beating Roddick too.

Cool, I will be there for the event. You come, too. Let's bet dinner. I'll go with the USA on grass against any of your guys. But, hey, if they pull it off, then dinner is on me. :D

Lee
02-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Susan, do you know where this event is going to be?

aznkb888
02-12-2006, 09:42 PM
if agassi is healthy and wants to play, would you take him over blake, ginepri, and dent, even if the tie is on grass?

just wondering what everyone thinks...

el_profe
02-12-2006, 09:48 PM
Andy has said he wants to play on grass. And we've heard lots of rumors about what City will host the event.

Winston-Salem and Delray seemed to be the front-runners, but there's lots of talk about Austin. ;-)

I think grass is the right decision, though. The Bryans can play on it; Andy certainly can, and I'd say James is the front runner for the fourth spot.

It woudl be cool if it was in austin, I would definetly go.

splink779
02-12-2006, 09:59 PM
They should use Dent on the grass along with Roddick. Great serve, slice, and volleys. Unfortunately for the US, Gonzo is super dangerous on grass as well, but he is the only one I see that can pose a threat. Massu should go down very easily, and the Bryans will no doubt win.

VamosRafa
02-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Thanks, splink. And as you know, I'm USA all the way -- unless Nadal is involved, and then it gets a bit more complicated.

But I've always loved Mike and Bob. They live in the town over from me in Cali, but I have to say when I saw them in Shanghai for the Masters Cup, and how they handled themselves there, I really became a huge fun. When all the singles players crapped out, the Bryans came out and played on court and also with the band in the hospitality tent. You should hear their rendition of "Brown Eyed Girl." That's when I thought, "I'm ready to join the Bryan Bunch." I was so proud of them in China, and it was wonderful how the Chinese crowd embraced them, in the stadium, and also off the court.

But it worked out well this weekend, as the Bryan Bunch was over there with their green shirts behind the boys, and it was great to have them there, because we could yell "Bob" and they would yell "Mike."

What a weekend!

Go USA!!!!

Max G.
02-13-2006, 12:05 AM
I think Grass is the definite choice. The Chileans are claycourters; Nicolas Massu's record on grass is woeful, and Gonzalez is worse on grass than on the other surfaces, though not necessarily by much.

As to who to pick, Blake or Dent or Ginepri - I think this decision should be put off until the last possible moment, and then chosen based on whoever's RECENT form is best.

I think the US will be the pretty clear favorite, but not unbeatable.

VamosRafa
02-13-2006, 12:44 AM
I think they need to decide for sure if it's going to be on grass -- which makes the most sense. And they have to look at venues which can put down a decent grass court. Many cities are being mentioned, but their stadiums have hardcourt venues. A few years ago the USA hosted Spain on grass in Houston (ala Mattress Mac), but I don't think Houston is in the running for this. Again, what we heard here was a lot of talk about Delray, Winston-Salem, and then later Austin.

Texas works for me. :D

jamumafa
02-13-2006, 04:00 AM
No way does Gonzo win both singles rubbers on Grass. On clay yeah i can see it, But on Grass Roddick will beat him. And Massu will lose both on grass , gaurenteed

oscar_2424
02-13-2006, 04:04 AM
Roddick make it clear, he wants to play in grass, as the second seed should be Blake

baseliner
02-13-2006, 05:21 AM
Grass works for me! What about playing in Newport? They have a grass court, hold a grass court tourney, the only one left in the US I think and there is plenty of history there. As for # 2 singles, go with Dent. Agassi is starting to be injured most of the time. Ginepri is a liability on grass. Blake would be my second choice after Dent.

RiosTheGenius
02-13-2006, 07:00 AM
Cool, I will be there for the event. You come, too. Let's bet dinner. I'll go with the USA on grass against any of your guys. But, hey, if they pull it off, then dinner is on me. :D
Totally.... Dinner, Drinks , and then we'll go naked on the roof

DashaandSafin
02-13-2006, 07:46 AM
Gonzo...winning on grass? Dont make me laugh. I doubt he can beat Blake on hard..

RiosTheGenius
02-13-2006, 07:51 AM
whatever dude.... the Bryans is the only thing I'm worried about.

DashaandSafin
02-13-2006, 07:59 AM
Whatever? Im not accepting that. Thats a cop out. As much as i enjoy watching Gonzo play, beliving that he is going to win on grass vs the Americans is a far fetched prospect.

splink779
02-13-2006, 08:10 AM
Whatever? Im not accepting that. Thats a cop out. As much as i enjoy watching Gonzo play, beliving that he is going to win on grass vs the Americans is a far fetched prospect.

He played well at wimbledon this year until Fed took him out. He has a pretty big serve (130+) and his go for broke style keeps the points short. His forehand scoots through the court faster than ever. As the rankings have shown, Gonzo is better than Blake. He is always around 10-20. Although, that may not stay the same way if Blake moves up.

Ronaldo
02-13-2006, 08:16 AM
Grass works for me! What about playing in Newport? They have a grass court, hold a grass court tourney, the only one left in the US I think and there is plenty of history there. As for # 2 singles, go with Dent. Agassi is starting to be injured most of the time. Ginepri is a liability on grass. Blake would be my second choice after Dent.
Not sure which commentator yesterday inferred that Newport's grass courts are a cow pasture but if anyone has more info, please add. Take it the venue needs to seat plenty of folks so why not Mattress Mac's shack? He has grass. It's a hybrid. This is a cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 10 sets on it in the afternoon, take it home and both teams get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff. Will smoke the Chileans and the court

atatu
02-13-2006, 08:25 AM
As far as I know there are no suitable grass courts in Austin. The only good grass courts I know of in Texas are in Houston, and they just played there a couple of years ago, so I doubt they'd go back. I heard that Fort Worth was a contender last year, but I don't know if they have grass either....

VictorS.
02-13-2006, 08:27 AM
I think the consensus on the board is grass as the surface of choice.

For the #2 singles...do you guys really want Blake again? Honestly, I think Blake is playing like a beast right now. But his results on grass have been real spotty in the past. Dent isn't a sure thing, but he's played pretty solidly on the surface I think and would surely win at least one of his single rubbers, if not both.

ACE of Hearts
02-13-2006, 08:29 AM
Should be interesting, remember past results dont matter when it comes to Davis Cup, ur playing for your country and that makes u play better.Should be a good battle.

Rabbit
02-13-2006, 08:32 AM
Blake's results may have been spotty on grass, but they've certainly got to be better than who's coming....

Were it me, I'd give Taylor Dent the nod.

ACE of Hearts
02-13-2006, 08:35 AM
Good point, Dent should take Blake's spot.

Richie Rich
02-13-2006, 08:43 AM
i'll bet on Chile, even if it's on grass. remember when the Lapenti brothers beat Rusedski and Henman on grass in davis cup? anything can happen and Roddick's play lately has not been inspring. Also, if gonzo gets hot there is no one that can beat him. massu can be up and down but looks like he's playing better and he always seems to do better for davis cup. hard to beat Bryan's in doubs but who knows? lot can happen in the next few months - injuries, etc.

don't agree with using Dent, just from a team dynamic viewpoint. anyway, he's probably so out of shape he might not last 2 best of 5 matches. i'd go with Blake - he's fitter and playing better than Dent.

slice bh compliment
02-13-2006, 09:18 AM
Not sure which commentator yesterday inferred that Newport's grass courts are a cow pasture but if anyone has more info, please add. Take it the venue needs to seat plenty of folks so why not Mattress Mac's shack? He has grass. It's a hybrid. This is a cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 10 sets on it in the afternoon, take it home and both teams get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff. Will smoke the Chileans and the court

People. Did you not read this^? Ronaldo is serious.
The USTA is working on Bill Murray to be the chair umpire.
The official mascot of the USA/CHILE tie will be...the gopher.

vllockhart
02-13-2006, 09:38 AM
I think the consensus on the board is grass as the surface of choice.

For the #2 singles...do you guys really want Blake again? Honestly, I think Blake is playing like a beast right now. But his results on grass have been real spotty in the past. Dent isn't a sure thing, but he's played pretty solidly on the surface I think and would surely win at least one of his single rubbers, if not both.

This will indeed be a tough call. McEnroe chose James over Ginepri primarily because James won a tourney this year already. James is ranked 20 to Taylor's 43.

Taylor Dent's serve will be imposing on grass, but he still has to back it up with good volleys and all around play. And his head has to be in it. Will James' good play translate to grass?? The problem is that there are no grass court events before the tie in April, so McEnroe won't have that as a barometer.

Buy honestly, I think any of the three of Ginepri, Blake or Dent would do well.

Hal
02-13-2006, 09:41 AM
From listening to J-Mac interview P-Mac, after the Roddick match, it seems that the other surface in contention is a fast indoor carpet. This would open the doors to a lot more venues. Either grass or carpet should favor the US. Hopefully Roddick won't feel slighted if they don't choose grass. He made his choice pretty publically known.

Rabbit
02-13-2006, 09:57 AM
John McEnroe was the commentator who said the courts at Newport were soft. He went on to say that to get a real grass court experience, they shoudl be firmer.

Pete Sampras said that Houston had the best grass courts this side of England. I don't know why it would be so out of the realm of possibility for them to go back to Houston.

I think Dent could do 2 matches standing on his head. I wish PMac would give Dent some consideration for this one.

atatu
02-13-2006, 10:28 AM
Ok, I've got the solution, put it on a very fast indoor surface at the Irwin Center in Austin. Roddick will be happy playing at home and they'll still have an advantage. Maybe they can just put lines down on the University of Texas basketball floor, wood is pretty quick.....wasn't Fort Worth being considered last year also ?

Rabbit
02-13-2006, 10:31 AM
For a real throwback, they ought to put canvas over the wood floor. Then it'd be like what the Kramer tour played on.

Hal
02-13-2006, 10:54 AM
I think Dent could do 2 matches standing on his head. I wish PMac would give Dent some consideration for this one.

I agree, I think Dent is the logical choice if the match is on an extremely fast surface.

Moose Malloy
02-13-2006, 11:04 AM
I agree, I think Dent is the logical choice if the match is on an extremely fast surface.

Davis Cup is as much about handling pressure as it is the surface. Dent has never played a "live" Davis Cup match. He could choke miserably(as many much greater players have done. See Courier & Sampras' DC debuts. Unless he's on a ridiculous win streak come April, Blake & Ginepri are much better choices for #2 singles.

Also, I think Dent's "fast court" credentials get blown up a little much on these boards, partly because S&V is dead. There are no really fast surfaces on tour nowadays(or so Ljubicic says)
And Dent's resume on fast surfaces isn't that great. What's his best Wimbledon? The 4th Round? And that makes him a great grasscourt player? He's not even a David Wheaton calibur player, as far as 2nd tier Americans go.

And don't forget Dent lost to both Massu & Gonzalez at the '04Olympics, a very fast outdoor hardcourt.

Ronaldo
02-13-2006, 12:20 PM
This board has gone deadly silent, a Cinderella story outta nowhere. Former greenskeeper and now about to become the Davis Cup chair umpire.

MMkay5
02-13-2006, 12:24 PM
whens the next match

slice bh compliment
02-13-2006, 12:32 PM
This board has gone deadly silent, a Cinderella story outta nowhere. Former greenskeeper and now about to become the Davis Cup chair umpire.

Wait a minute. ^This plus your last signature? That is THREE Caddyshack references in one thread, Ronaldo! We may have to get you some sort of prize. Maybe a free bowl of soup to go wit that hat. Looks good on you, though.

Ken B.
02-13-2006, 12:34 PM
Being born/from Houston, but living in Austin for college, I really don't know anywhere in Austin where there are good grass courts. Even Hard courts, to be honest (there are good courts, but no DC type courts to handle the people)

But Houston has excellent facilities. Westside Tennis Club is an absolutely beautiful place. The US Open should be played there. Seriously. I think.

Hal
02-13-2006, 12:46 PM
Moose, you're right, Dent's results at Wimbledon aren't as good as I would have expected. Although his loses have come against top players, Agassi, Arthurs (tough 5 setter), Hewitt (twice - 4 and 5 setter), Ljubicic, Roddick (two tie-breaks). I looked at Blake's record, and his isn't very good on grass, either (losses to Krajicek (5 setter, but Krajicek was past his prime), Sargsian (routine loss), and Jan Hernych (5 setter). I don't see Ginepri might be a great pick, either, with the following losses (Clement (first round), Grosjean (round of 16), Stepanek (1st round).

Oh, and Wheaton would have been in the first tier with this crop of American players. Of course, I'm a bit biased since Wheaton kicked my butt in juniors tennis. :)

Ronaldo
02-13-2006, 12:47 PM
Slice, save that bowl of soup and doughnut without a hole from Tim Horton's for A-Rod and his Izod, eh? Looks good on him

Hal
02-13-2006, 12:49 PM
Oh, and at least noone has mentioned the name Spadea (yet). ;)

VictorS.
02-13-2006, 07:27 PM
I don't think Agassi's played in a Wimbledon for the past few years due to injury. But he's obviously a real safe pick for any surface the U.S. picks. If we could get Agassi and Roddick, I like our chances. I know it didn't end up like we wanted it last year, but still....

alienhamster
02-13-2006, 08:29 PM
The choice here so CLEARLY needs to be grass. Grass takes Massu out of the competition almost completely, and it certainly doesn't give Gonzalez any distinct advantages. (He can play his game on just about any surface, and the slower ones would be more detrimental for the Americans.)

One interesting note--isn't Wimbledon the only slam the Bryans haven't won? They seem to play better on slower surfaces.

And the most convincing reason? I personally want to see some more grass court tennis this year. There. That settles it. Grass it is.

VictorS.
02-13-2006, 09:36 PM
The choice here so CLEARLY needs to be grass. Grass takes Massu out of the competition almost completely, and it certainly doesn't give Gonzalez any distinct advantages. (He can play his game on just about any surface, and the slower ones would be more detrimental for the Americans.)

One interesting note--isn't Wimbledon the only slam the Bryans haven't won? They seem to play better on slower surfaces.

And the most convincing reason? I personally want to see some more grass court tennis this year. There. That settles it. Grass it is.

Regarding the Bryan Bros. success....I think you do you have a point. However, they did at least make the Wimbledon final, so it's not like they aren't good on grass. However, the Australian Open surface is indeed a slower surface which they won on this year. And I think they've also won the french open as well. I think the doubles match will be a very pivotal match. Let's say we split the initial two singles matches. If the Chileans pull off the upset in doubles (which they are certainly capable of if you watched the Olympics)....then it all of a sudden becomes a different ballgame. I'm certainly thinking the Americans are in the driver's seat....however, it wouldn't totally shock me to see us lose.

Max G.
02-13-2006, 09:59 PM
Yeah, Bryans do seem to be a *bit* less comfortable on the fast surfaces than the slow ones.

But it really isn't a big difference at all. It might make the difference if they were playing another high-ranked doubles team that preferred grass, but I don't think it'll be a disadvantage against the Chileans, who probably are more comfortable on clay as well.

I think the most likely final score is 4-1 in favor of the US, but it's by no means guaranteed, with Roddick's inconsistency...

baseliner
02-14-2006, 04:58 AM
Roddick and the Bryans are in of course. On grass (or glass or any other lightning fast surface) I still say go with Dent unless Agassi is healthy and available. I don't see massu or Gonzo beating either Roddick or Dent. Gotta be 3 of 4 points in the singles with Roddick and Dent.

alienhamster
02-17-2006, 09:03 PM
Roddick and the Bryans are in of course. On grass (or glass or any other lightning fast surface) I still say go with Dent unless Agassi is healthy and available. I don't see massu or Gonzo beating either Roddick or Dent. Gotta be 3 of 4 points in the singles with Roddick and Dent. If it's grass, I say go with Dent, too, though Blake is probably just as good a choice. Dent's game is better for the surface, but his fitness and head are real question marks for DC competition.

Does anyone know when they will decide on the surface?

VamosRafa
02-17-2006, 09:10 PM
I also hope they chose grass, because otherwise, it could be a big problem for the US, and this is potentially a good year from them to win the Davis Cup.

Wherever it is, I want to see it. And then I hope France gets through, and they have to play us here at home, too.

RiosTheGenius
02-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Get a real surface ... Grass is for cows.

Volly master
02-18-2006, 10:48 AM
at least grass looks better the "special surface" the south americans call, yet in america..we call it.."dirt".

USA will win 4-1. i guess is that blake is going to lose to gonzo for some reason but heck we are going to win reguardless.

slice bh compliment
02-18-2006, 11:31 AM
Cool. I can't tell you how comforting it is that you have all of this figured out.
Just make sure Patrick and the suits at the USTA office read and re-read this thread.
More importantly, let's make sure it is well-attended and well-publicized no matter where it is held (I'm free that weekend).

slice bh compliment
02-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Get a real surface ... Grass is for cows.

Brilliant. Just brilliant.
Grass is for cows.
Clay is for, what? Sculpture?

Please.

Get a real surface? You must be joking, right? Grass and clay are the only REAL surfaces used on the circuit.

Hard courts became prevalent because the of their convenience and practicality. That is all.

Steve Dykstra
02-18-2006, 11:49 AM
Grass is for cows.

Please.

Get a real surface? You must be joking, right? Grass and clay are the only REAL surfaces used on the circuit.

Hard courts became prevalent because the of their convenience and practicality. That is all.

Nice post!

Steve Dykstra
02-18-2006, 11:53 AM
I also hope they chose grass, because otherwise, it could be a big problem for the US, and this is potentially a good year from them to win the Davis Cup.

I would like to say that the US has a good change to win, but if they are not home for the semis and finals, I think they are done. No way can they beat Russia or France on clay. If they get Argentina in the finals on clay, no chance.

RiosTheGenius
02-18-2006, 11:32 PM
Grass is for cows.

Please.

I love hard courts, nothing wrong with hard courts.

alienhamster
02-19-2006, 07:47 PM
I love hard courts, nothing wrong with hard courts. Except that whole "increases likelihood of injury, wear and tear on joints" thing. I mean, hard court tennis is great for its neutrality, but it's definitely got its problems (and lack of distinctness). At least clay and grass have some character.

RiosTheGenius
02-23-2006, 01:08 PM
So, it's official .... the matches will be played in California and the surface shall be grass indeed. ..... so....... screw Chile I'm going home.

:)

RiosTheGenius
02-23-2006, 05:26 PM
unfortunately I must predict that they won't respect our authorita and will win 4-1

Massu will not win a match --- that's 2
Gonzalez will win one --- that's 1-1
and the bryans ...let's not even discuss it...
I'm still gonna root for the chilean team, but it would be utopian of me to place a bet or anything daft like that.

slice bh compliment
02-23-2006, 07:07 PM
unfortunately I must predict that they won't respect our authorita and will win 4-1

Massu will not win a match --- that's 2
Gonzalez will win one --- that's 1-1
and the bryans ...let's not even discuss it...
I'm still gonna root for the chilean team, but it would be utopian of me to place a bet or anything daft like that.

Cool. Done. Why even play it?;) kidding. I think it will be a tough five matches.

Oh, and good news for CartmanTheGenius: the USTA announced they will offer Cheesy Poofs at every single one of the concession stands!

And panko-encrusted Chilean sea bass w/ a wasabi aioli for the rest of us!

VamosRafa
02-23-2006, 09:39 PM
I just heard the same confirmation. Good for USA. :D

RiosTheGenius
02-24-2006, 09:16 AM
Cool. Done. Why even play it?;) kidding. I think it will be a tough five matches.

Oh, and good news for CartmanTheGenius: the USTA announced they will offer Cheesy Poofs at every single one of the concession stands!

And panko-encrusted Chilean sea bass w/ a wasabi aioli for the rest of us!
good.... can I also have some of that Panko crusted sea bass?..... I like seafood you guys