PDA

View Full Version : What causes a racquet to crack during stringing

dax_q
06-12-2004, 11:45 AM
I have recently started stringing racquets for a few people on my team. I was wondering what causes a racquet to crack during stringing and what measures I should take to prevent this. I have been stringing for over 5 years now and I haven't had a racquet crack. Just want to know if I am lucky or doing it right. Also, if doing a two piece string, why start at top of racquet and not throat? When you do a one piece, the crosses start at the throat.

Smashlob
06-12-2004, 12:42 PM
A stringer who does not properly mount the frame causes a frame to crack.

It is better for the racquet because to go top-down because I believe the throat is the stronger area.

Also, you're *supposed* to go head to throat on a one-piece stringjob using an ATW pattern.

SW Stringer
06-12-2004, 05:03 PM
An already cracked frame, maybe a hairline fracture or more, but unnoticed, may lead to a broken frame during stringing. But maybe not. I've strung a Triple Threat frame with a crack that ended up with a slightly larger crack, but the customer said he would have tossed the racket anyway, so if it didn't break all the way during stringing, he'd at least have a racket to play with. He was willing to take the risk.

Gaines Hillix
06-12-2004, 10:32 PM
If you are using good technique when you mount the frame on the machine and when stringing it, you shouldn't have much trouble with this. I'd be extra careful when someone asks to string a frame higher than the recommended range especially on a Yonex or Head frame or any super OS frame.

5.0 TopDog
06-13-2004, 12:01 PM
Gaines! can you show me in details how to do the ATW pattern?

Gaines Hillix
06-14-2004, 09:03 AM
I posted this a while back(no longer than a few weeks). Do a search in the strings and stringing section or the stringing machines section. I am sure you'll find it there.

gmlasam
06-14-2004, 11:19 AM
I've seen and heard of racquets being cracked do to stringing them from throat to tip with high tension. Another good reason to string from top to throat, to be safer.