PDA

View Full Version : Agassi pulls out of San Jose tournament

RadekStepanekTheKing
02-13-2006, 03:44 AM
Andre Agassi withdrew from the SAP Open with a lower back strain in his latest setback by an injury.

Agassi, the second seed in the event which begins Monday, told tournament director Bill Rapp on Sunday night that he couldn't play. Agassi experienced severe pain in his lower back and down his legs during a workout Sunday,
tournament officials said in a news release.

Agassi, 35, has played only four matches since reaching the U.S. Open final last September. He sprained his left ankle playing racquetball Oct. 12 and aggravated the injury during the season-ending Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai, where he was upset by Nicolay Davydenko in the first round.

He pulled out of last month's Australian Open because of the injury and then lost to Guillermo Garcia-Lopez in the quarterfinals of the International Tennis Championships earlier this month in his first tournament of the year.

Agassi is currently ranked eighth in the world by the ATP. His only tournament win last season came in Los Angeles and he lost to world No. 1 Roger Federer in the U.S. Open final in September.

:( :( :(

oscar_2424
02-13-2006, 03:56 AM
Are you sure?

RadekStepanekTheKing
02-13-2006, 04:22 AM
Are you sure?

it was in yahoo and google news. I would be very happy if it wasn´t true.

watch_the_ball
02-13-2006, 04:25 AM
I saw him at a practice session with Joachim Johansson at a practice session on Sunday. He looked fine and they were crankin. I guess it happened after that. That really sucks.

babbette
02-13-2006, 05:21 AM
Oh my god no:( This could be his last year then.

baseliner
02-13-2006, 05:26 AM
Function of age. AA is starting to have those nagging injuries pop up. The end is in sight.

vllockhart
02-13-2006, 05:34 AM
Crap, crap, crap. I was looking forward to Andre v Scoville. Crap, crap.

Nuke
02-13-2006, 05:36 AM
Look for a farewell at the US Open this year.

DashaandSafin
02-13-2006, 05:58 AM
Oh well...he should really just focus on the Grand Slams, even MS have lost thier prestige to him...

Noelle
02-13-2006, 06:13 AM
D&S, San Jose isn't a Masters Series tournament.

I certainly hope Andre still plays a relatively full schedule. I mean, if this is his last year, I don't want him to go out with a whimper.

barry
02-13-2006, 07:56 AM
Interesting how he did in 2005, http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/playerprofiles/playeractivity/default.asp?year=2005&query=Singles&player=A092&x=7&y=6

At 35 he is having problems hanging in there with top 25 players.

BreakPoint
02-13-2006, 01:14 PM
Funny, because he was on the late night sports show last night doing an interview with the local sportscaster and he seemed fine. I realize the interview was probably taped earlier in the day, but it looked like it was done after his practice session as he was sitting in the stands at the HP Pavillion. He didn't say anything about his back injury and said he was ready to go. Maybe this injury must have happened after the interview? :confused:

Anyway, they just replaced the Agassi-Jenkins evening match with Johannson-Warburg, which is a match I wanted to see more anyway, so it's great for me. :D

I've seen Agassi so many times already, but I love seeing Pim-Pim play with his huge 1HBH! Warburg was a top player at Stanford and I've seen him play there many times but never as a pro, as he's only been a pro for a few months. Should be a good match and I'm looking forward to it! :D

Hal
02-13-2006, 01:56 PM
I'm sure this is the related to the back injury that he's been fighting for the past year or so. I expect another spinal injection will be needed for Andre. Having gone through two of those myself (a few years ago) for the exact same problem that Agassi has, I can say that one wrong move and the nerve will inflame and send pain and numbness down your leg. Getting old is a b*tch.

pound cat
02-13-2006, 01:59 PM
I'm sure this is the related to the back injury that he's been fighting for the past year or so. I expect another spinal injection will be needed for Andre. Having gone through two of those myself (a few years ago) for the exact same problem that Agassi has, I can say that one wrong move and the nerve will inflame and send pain and numbness down your leg. Getting old is a b*tch.

sciatica. Very, very, very painful. ie, all you can do is lie down (and watch tennis tapes)

West Coast Ace
02-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Unfortunate, but not a shock. The wear and tear has taken its toll.

Let's hope he can still walk out on Ashe stadium court by August.

jamauss
02-13-2006, 02:35 PM
Break out the cortisone again.... :(

I'll be seeing Johansson vs. Warburg and Murray vs. Fish tonight though. Actually, I gotta leave here in a couple of hours. :)

Foo4Everlong
02-13-2006, 03:49 PM

I have this same issue as well. This damn sciatic nerve. Anyways Hal, I have never done the cortizone shot thing, but I have found great success in seeing a chiropractor and having lower back adjustments to heal the joint and relax everything around the nerve. This doesn't mean that it goes away completely, because I saught this chiropratic stuff in September and went without pain until almost January, then I started to get some pain back, so i went for more adjustments and so far so good. It worked for me, if you haven't tried it I suggest giving it a try, it may work for you as it did for me. Later

DashaandSafin
02-13-2006, 06:51 PM
D&S, San Jose isn't a Masters Series tournament.

I certainly hope Andre still plays a relatively full schedule. I mean, if this is his last year, I don't want him to go out with a whimper.
I know...
C'mon Noelle..im not THAT thick.

West Coast Ace
02-13-2006, 06:56 PM
I certainly hope Andre still plays a relatively full schedule. I mean, if this is his last year, I don't want him to go out with a whimper.That wasn't very likely before the year started - and now that the injuries keep coming, it's almost impossible. If he plays a dozen tournaments we should consider ourselves lucky.

superman1
02-13-2006, 06:58 PM
I don't think it's his last year, but this will probably be a common thing. If he feels any pain, he's not going to play, especially if it's not a big tournament. I think we'll continue to see him in Masters tournaments and Grand Slams at least until the end of next year. As long as he's not in pain, he might not retire for years.

Cruzer
02-13-2006, 07:12 PM
I'm glad I didn't decide to go to the SAP tonight even if USTA members get a discount on tickets. I hope Roddick shows up for the Tuesday evening match as we are planning on going some friends. It is quite disappointing to spend $100.00 for a couple of tickets + parking + gas to find out the guy you went to see has withdrawn. It happened to me a few years when Sampras withdrew from the semis and I found out as I was handing the parking fee collector my $10.00 at the then Sybase Open.

Noelle
02-13-2006, 07:27 PM
I hope Roddick shows up for the Tuesday evening match as we are planning on going some friends. It is quite disappointing to spend $100.00 for a couple of tickets + parking + gas to find out the guy you went to see has withdrawn.
Roddick arrived in San Jose already and was seen practicing. I think he'll play. :)

PM_
02-13-2006, 07:39 PM
nope...
http://www.tsn.ca/tennis/news_story.asp?id=154779

BreakPoint
02-13-2006, 11:24 PM
It happened to me a few years when Sampras withdrew from the semis and I found out as I was handing the parking fee collector my $10.00 at the then Sybase Open.

Yeah, I remember that as it happened to me, too! I had won two front row seats to that semi (I think it was '99) and was planning on driving down from SF to SJ in pouring rain. Just a couple of hours before the match I hear that Sampras withdrew due to an ankle injury or something. So instead of driving through pouring rain all the way to SJ just to see only one doubles match, my friend and I decided to bag it and we went to see a movie in the city instead. Needless to say, I was extremely disappointed.

Lee
02-13-2006, 11:39 PM
Breakpoint, I didn't know you are from SF. What level are you playing at? We should meet up and hit!

p.s. I just got 4 demo's from TW, we should hit this weekend!

BreakPoint
02-13-2006, 11:50 PM
Breakpoint, I didn't know you are from SF. What level are you playing at? We should meet up and hit!

p.s. I just got 4 demo's from TW, we should hit this weekend!

Thanks for the offer, Lee, but I no longer live in SF. That Sampras match was in '99. I'm also taking some time off to try and recover from golfer's elbow.

BTW, which 4 demos did you get?

Lee
02-13-2006, 11:51 PM
LM Prestige, Midplus
LM Prestige, Mid
RDX 500, Mid
03 Tour, Midplus

Playing a tournament in Fremont this weekend, so I better get used to these rackets quickly!

Lee
02-13-2006, 11:52 PM
4 Demos for $11.50? Oh Heaven!!

BreakPoint
02-14-2006, 01:30 AM
LM Prestige, Midplus
LM Prestige, Mid
RDX 500, Mid
03 Tour, Midplus

Playing a tournament in Fremont this weekend, so I better get used to these rackets quickly!

Yeah, I hope you're able to adjust to a new racquet VERY quickly! ;) LOL. Good luck with the tournament in Fremont. :D

BTW, depending on what racquet you're currently using, I can probably take a good guess as to which of the four demos you're likely to like or dislike.

pound cat
02-14-2006, 03:54 AM
I have this same issue as well. This damn sciatic nerve. Anyways Hal, I have never done the cortizone shot thing, but I have found great success in seeing a chiropractor and having lower back adjustments to heal the joint and relax everything around the nerve. This doesn't mean that it goes away completely, because I saught this chiropratic stuff in September and went without pain until almost January, then I started to get some pain back, so i went for more adjustments and so far so good. It worked for me, if you haven't tried it I suggest giving it a try, it may work for you as it did for me. Later

What does it is bending and twisting motions. Tennis, anyone? The best cure is to never play tennis again, and do lower back muscle strengthening exercises. and standing on your hear relieves all the pressure on the nerve, but that's very temporary relief. LOL

arosen
02-14-2006, 01:21 PM
It seems that Andre's body is begging him to stop playing. He is hurting all over, and cortisone injections only take care of the pain, they do not promote healing or prevent reinjury. The end is in sight, and Andre knows it, too.