PDA

View Full Version : Beck banned for two years after testing positive for steroid

Moose Malloy
02-13-2006, 08:24 AM
That he tested positive while playing Argentina is too funny:

LONDON (AP) -- Karol Beck of Slovakia was suspended for two years by the International Tennis Federation on Monday after testing positive for a steroid during last year's Davis Cup semifinal.

Beck returned a positive test for clenbuterol after Slovakia's 4-1 win over Argentina on Sept. 24. Beck won both his singles and doubles for Slovakia, which reached its first final before losing to Croatia.

The ITF said the suspension would be backdated until Nov. 1, 2005 and run until Oct. 31, 2007.

Beck's results in the semifinal are automatically disqualified, although the overall result of the tie will not be reassessed. Beck's ranking points and $42,935 prize money since the test are forfeited.

Beck, whose case was heard by an independent anti-doping tribunal, has three weeks to appeal. He is ranked 85th on the ATP Tour.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=As8K2Vn4bqf_fzDAnH5bO104v7YF?slug=ap-beck-dopingban&prov=ap&type=lgns

DashaandSafin
02-13-2006, 08:30 AM
Too bad....

vllockhart
02-13-2006, 09:07 AM
I think if you're going to suspend people, it needs to happen a lot sooner than this. Just how long does it take to get test results back?

Isn't the point to stop doped up players from competing? If they are on steroids, then they're still playing for months after the test, possibly still using. Yes, the points are forfeited later, but it's still not fair for the people that played against them during that time.

legolas
02-13-2006, 09:10 AM
good to hear that, suspend the drug abusers

Shabazza
02-13-2006, 09:42 AM
I think if you're going to suspend people, it needs to happen a lot sooner than this. Just how long does it take to get test results back?

Isn't the point to stop doped up players from competing? If they are on steroids, then they're still playing for months after the test, possibly still using. Yes, the points are forfeited later, but it's still not fair for the people that played against them during that time.
It's kind of a loss-loss decsion, really. They can't just suspend the player for several month, what if he wasn't guilty, B-test is negative or can come up with a resonable excuse, did he get compensation money, points?? - you can't be treated guilty until it is proofed. I know it's a little unfair for other players, but the comittee don't have much of a choice, regarding this matter!

vllockhart
02-13-2006, 09:58 AM
It's kind of a loss-loss decsion, really. They can't just suspend the player for several month, what if he wasn't guilty, B-test is negative or can come up with a resonable excuse, did he get compensation money, points?? - you can't be treated guilty until it is proofed. I know it's a little unfair for other players, but the comittee don't have much of a choice, regarding this matter!

If the test results back quicker, then the player can put up his or her defense right away. That's more my point. I think it's crazy for the suspension to come down a year later.

arosen
02-13-2006, 02:40 PM
The more dopers are getting caught the better. Time for tennis to come clean.

West Coast Ace
02-13-2006, 06:24 PM
They ATP won't have to work overtime to fill out his 2006 Highlights (or '07):

http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/playerprofiles/default2.asp?playernumber=B804

I'll 2nd arosen - very happy tennis is taking a hard *ss approach.

DashaandSafin
02-13-2006, 06:42 PM
Pretty soon the ATP is going to look like an empty place...did he get a previous warning?

Steve Huff
02-13-2006, 08:16 PM
I wish competitive weightlifters would get tested, and banned, for using steroids.

pero
02-13-2006, 11:41 PM
http://www.itftennis.com/shared/medialibrary/pdf/original/IO_18801_original.PDF

that's official decision

pero
02-13-2006, 11:42 PM
If the test results back quicker, then the player can put up his or her defense right away. That's more my point. I think it's crazy for the suspension to come down a year later.

better ever than never :D

baseliner
02-14-2006, 05:38 AM
Has anyone ever admitted knowingly using steroids? All I ever hear is innocent ingestion, didn't know what was in a vitamin or supplement, poppyseed muffin, etc. 2 year suspension, forfeit pay and points sounds about right.

babbette
02-14-2006, 06:21 AM
I don't understand why some players take drugs when they know there's a chance they'll get caught!!!! Do they not care enough about their career?It makes no sense to me.

babbette
02-14-2006, 06:32 AM
*double post*

babbette
02-14-2006, 06:33 AM
*double post*:)

Moose Malloy
02-14-2006, 10:47 AM
Beck says spiked drinks led to positive dope test

BRATISLAVA, Feb 14 (Reuters) - Slovakia's Karol Beck, banned from tennis on Monday for two years after a positive drug test, believes an acquaintance spiked his drinks in a night club.

In a tearful press conference on Tuesday, Beck denied taking performance-enhancing products and said he had one other possible explanation for the failed test - that he had accidentally taken one of his mother's asthma pills.

Beck tested positive for the anabolic agent clenbuterol during Slovakia's Davis Cup semi-final win over Argentina in September, the sport's ruling body (ITF) said on Monday. The player believes his drink was spiked during a night out earlier that month in Bratislava.

"I was at a night club with members of Slovakia's professional tennis circle," he said. "I never thought something like this could happen, but I have my suspicions who it was."

"I think it's more likely someone did this to me on purpose. I have my reasons. Slovaks are jealous of success."

He vowed to appeal against his ban and said he had filed charges with Slovak police against the unknown culprits who ruined his career.

Slovakia beat Argentina 4-1 in the semi-final before losing 3-2 to Croatia in the final.

In the semi-final Beck played the opening singles and also in the doubles, both of which Slovakia won.

During the Davis Cup Final in December, Beck repeatedly denied rumours he had tested positive but did not play, citing a knee injury. Beck now says he has known the results of the dope test since October.

He plans to keep fit for his comeback if the ban, which expires in November 2007, is upheld.

"I hope the sentence will at least be reduced," he said. "But I have to keep practising, stay strong, have faith.

"I have never taken performance-enhancing drugs. I would never take drugs."

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AnWQxfW6uX2fMNT_9Tqg2Sk4v7YF?slug=reu-beck&prov=reuters&type=lgns

Moose Malloy
02-15-2006, 08:39 AM
no comments on Beck's "spiked drink?"

Max G.
02-15-2006, 09:32 AM
Hard to say anything, really.

Sounds like it might be just an excuse. Also sounds like it would be impossible to prove, and impossible to disprove (unless they show that the amount that he had was too great to be caused by what he's claiming, or that it would have had other side effects).

Which means that it probably won't be (and wasn't) given much credence in the tribunal, and the rest of us will be left wondering. C'est la vie.