PDA

View Full Version : Best tennis 'performance' you ever saw...

Galactus
02-14-2006, 05:03 AM
...either during an ATP or Grand Slam tournament.

Not neccessarily your 'favorite' players or 'most exciting' match you've seen, but the most complete performance of tennis you've witnessed...either by one player or both players...ever?

Who are your picks?

Turning Pro
02-14-2006, 05:48 AM
Federer v Hewitt - Shanghai Masters Cup 02.

5- 7 7 -5 5 -7

Classic example of quality and exciting tennis.

Galactus
02-14-2006, 05:51 AM
Federer v Hewitt - Shanghai Masters Cup 02.
5- 7 7 -5 5 -7

Classic example of quality and exciting tennis.
That' an interesting one: 2002, Hewitt the world's #1 against the upcoming Federer. I havent seen it though - what made it so special, TP? Both players at 100%?

ATXtennisaddict
02-14-2006, 06:46 AM
Fed/Safin Aus 2005

Andres
02-14-2006, 06:50 AM
Cañas vs. Henman, I think... US Open 2004 ?
Can't really tell, but the Cañas vs. henman match was siiiick :D

VGP
02-14-2006, 07:12 AM
Safin over Sampras in the '00 USO final.

Marat crushed Pete. One match broke Sampras' aura of invincibility, making him look slow and clueless. Plus Safin showed how good he can be.

Galactus
02-14-2006, 07:17 AM
Safin over Sampras in the '00 USO final.

Marat crushed Pete. One match broke Sampras' aura of invincibility, making him look slow and clueless. Plus Safin showed how good he can be.
...as with the win over Federer in the AusO Semi posted by ATX. Forget Nadal-this and Nadal-that, Federer needs that kind of rivalry with Safin...

My own picks are harder to define:
Single player performance:
McEnroe v Connors - Wimbledon '84
Sampras v Agassi - Wimbledon '99
Federer v Roddick -Wimbledon '05

Both players:
Sampras v Agassi - UOS Qtr '01
Safin v Federer -AusO Semi '05

gonzalocatalino
02-14-2006, 07:20 AM
Caņas vs. Henman, I think... US Open 2004 ?
Can't really tell, but the Caņas vs. henman match was siiiick :D

I remember that match: AWESOME.
Pure S&V game Vs. pure defensive game...Caņas hit 1.000.000 passing shots and lobs!:p

gonzalocatalino
02-14-2006, 07:23 AM
Coria-Nadal last year (the 5hs match) was amazing too, both have played great tennis...

bc-05
02-14-2006, 07:25 AM
johansson joachim vs roddick andy at the us open.. best big hitting display ever.. as to the most exciting.. i think younes elanaoui vs andy australian open

jtreed2000
02-14-2006, 07:27 AM
Nadal/Coria, 05 Rome(?) masters series. Something like 5 hours on clay. I can't even imagine how fit they must be. It's like watching the Tour de France, but with coordination, lol. They just go, and go, and go... Of course both players like a nice 6 ball rally at the least, so they probably covered more than a few miles. Unbelievable. Glad I got that one on tape.

chaognosis
02-14-2006, 08:01 AM
1988 French Open Final -- Steffi Graf def. Natalia Zvereva 6-0, 6-0

Galactus
02-14-2006, 08:24 AM
Nadal/Coria, 05 Rome(?) masters series. Something like 5 hours on clay. I can't even imagine how fit they must be. It's like watching the Tour de France, but with coordination, lol. They just go, and go, and go... Of course both players like a nice 6 ball rally at the least, so they probably covered more than a few miles. Unbelievable. Glad I got that one on tape.
At what point do you start to feel sleepy? :mrgreen:
Seriously, is it that good a match?

jtreed2000
02-14-2006, 08:32 AM
I think I did sleep through some of it, lol. It was good IMO because it was a 5 set stalemate. It may have been more boring b/c it was long, with multiple momentum changes, but these guys were still hitting winners 10 feet behind the baseline and running like hell. It was great tennis, but the slower speed of clay could have made it a little boring, yes.

oscar_2424
02-14-2006, 08:40 AM
Gustavo Kuerten's first Roland Garros championchip, it was incredible

Safina
02-14-2006, 08:48 AM
I like it when a lesser known player plays at 150% and knocks off or almost knocks off a heavily favored top 10 player. Some of my recent favorites in that genre (and a few other gems)
--------------------------------------------
01 Wimb Fed v Sampras
04 Nasdaq Agassi v Calleri
04 US Roddick v Johansson
05 Aust Agassi v Johansson
05 US Agassi v Blake
05 US Fed v Agassi
05 Nasdaq Fed v Nadal
05 French Fed v Nadal
05 Monte Carlo Fed v Gasquet
05 French Roddick v Acasuso
06 Aust BAGHDATIS any of them...
--------------------------------------------
I just like rooting for the underdog ... especially when it is PimPim or Baghdatis!!!!

As far as the top players playing each other.... the usual favorites will certainly be listed by others, but my favorite is
2004 MASTERS CUP Round Robin FEDERER v AGASSI.... the first time Fed beat Agassi... the quality of tennis was amazing, and Agassi was playing better than I have seen him ever play Federer since. Agassi was crushing his shots, and Federer was hitting swinging volleys from the baseline.. the whole match filled with points you have to see over and over again to even comprehend how amazing they were.. and the winning point was a phenomenal too. I always like the match point to be something special!

Fedubai
02-14-2006, 08:57 AM
Fed vs. Safin, Aussie Open 2005, for most complete performance by two players. Most complete performance by a single player is a tie between Federer vs. Roddick, Wimbledon 2005 final, and Federer vs. Hewitt, US Open 2004 final.

There have been other great matches, but nothing comes close to what Federer vs. Safin was. 4:28 minutes of tennis as it was meant to be played, with heart, guts, genius. Some people call it the greatest match ever. I'll never forget it.

Moose Malloy
02-14-2006, 08:59 AM
05 US Agassi v Blake
05 French Fed v Nadal

Neither Fed or Agassi were "heavy favorites" in these matches. Fed was a slight favorite & Agassi-Blake was even money(& the match reflected those odds)

I know, I bet on these matches.

Moose Malloy
02-14-2006, 09:07 AM
Fed vs. Safin, Aussie Open 2005, for most complete performance by two players. Most complete performance by a single player is a tie between Federer vs. Roddick, Wimbledon 2005 final, and Federer vs. Hewitt, US Open 2004 final.

There have been other great matches, but nothing comes close to what Federer vs. Safin was. 4:28 minutes of tennis as it was meant to be played, with heart, guts, genius. Some people call it the greatest match ever. I'll never forget it.

No offense, but have you only been following the game for a few years? You should check out the '84 Wimbledon Final, '91 US Open Final, & '99 Wimbledon Final, if you are interested in the history of the game.
And the '96 Sampras-Becker Masters Cup Final. It compares very favorably to Safin-Federer in the "heart, guts, genius" department.

AndyC
02-14-2006, 09:19 AM
johansson joachim vs roddick andy at the us open.. best big hitting display ever..

no no... if u want big hitting then the two that really spring straight to mind are Gonzalez-Hrbaty (Basle 2005) when Gonzalez basically blew Hrbaty of the court 6-0 in the first set. Everything was a winner :).. n to top it off he threw in a few gorgeous drop shots to boot.

Another huge hitting display was Calleri-Agassi (Miami 2004). I mean Andre is one of the best movers on court and Callleri just blitzed him in the first set. The second was much tighter but for huge hitting the first set is a real medal contender.

Safina
02-14-2006, 09:23 AM
05 US Agassi v Blake
05 French Fed v Nadal

Neither Fed or Agassi were "heavy favorites" in these matches. Fed was a slight favorite & Agassi-Blake was even money(& the match reflected those odds)

I know, I bet on these matches.

Yes, some of my list I added later because they were too good not to be listed... and I was too lazy to put them in a different section. The point is that all of those matches are FANTASTIC.

breakfast_of_champions
02-14-2006, 02:41 PM
graf over navratilova, 1988 wimbledon final
connors over borg, 1976 us open final on clay
justine henin's demolition of lindsay davenport, 2004 AO final
maria sharapova over s. williams, 2004 wimbledon final

Turning Pro
02-14-2006, 02:47 PM
That' an interesting one: 2002, Hewitt the world's #1 against the upcoming Federer. I havent seen it though - what made it so special, TP? Both players at 100%?

Hey,you should try and get a copy:) Well the fact of the matter is,Roger was sort of outplaying hewitt,and was on the verge of a stunning victory,but hewitt just got ball after ball back(which he hasnt been doing lately)and he even counter-ed attacked much better then,and turning it around in the second.Made less errors.In terms of 100%,all their best qualities was 100: Rogers shotmaking,Hewitts retrieving skills,def.Not everything but a pretty damn memorable match.

Richard Fromberg
02-14-2006, 02:59 PM
Agassi - Sampras - 1995 Aus Open Final
Agassi - Sampras - 2000 Aus Open Semi
Agassi - Rafter - 2001 Wimbledon Semi

TGV
02-14-2006, 07:01 PM
2003 Wimbledon SF and Final: dazzling shotmaking from Federer from all parts of the court. Those were the most mesmerizing performances for me since the '91 US final.

urban
02-14-2006, 10:55 PM
Besides the noted McEnroe 1984 and Federer 2003 matches, Becker gave some stunning performances, Wimbledon sf 1986 vs. Leconte, 1989 DC final vs. Wilander. Stich had a high class standard of play vs. Sampras (f Masters Cup 1993), and Muster (last 16 RG 1996). Mecir once beat Wilander at Hamburg on clay in the middle 1980s 2 and 1. What must have been stunning performances, are Hoad vs. Cooper Wim 1957, Laver vs. Ashe sf Wim 1969, and Laver vs. Rosewall , Los Angeles 1968 with the score 4-6, 6-0,6-0. Ashe always said, that was the best match he ever saw. Vines must have been awesome vs. Austin Wim f 1932. His last ace must have been so hard, that Bunny never saw, whether it passed him right or left.

Mugatu
02-14-2006, 11:33 PM
i've generally got a pretty short memory so i've gotta go with the assafination of federer in last year's 2005 aus open sf. simply brilliant competitive tennis..

anyone know where it might be downloadable? wouldn't mind seeing it again now i think about it...

bcaz
02-15-2006, 12:18 AM
Lots of good ones mentioned here -- another is the Sampras-Agassi match in New York (USO) several years ago (semi?) with no service breaks, 4 tie breaks, Sampras wins. Agassi in defeat had virtually no unforced errors in four sets and 52 games, maybe 10 overall, yet Pete won without having to go 5. That's pretty close to perfect tennis and the fans got good return on their dollars.

The best I've seen in person? Roddick def. Ljubicic at Arthur Ashe in 2003 on his 21st birthday (at midnight). And New York, Armstrong, 2004, Haas over Grosjean in 5, from great seats just above the south baseline. Superb. I mean, when you get to see these guys compete like that, you are struck by how off-the-charts good they really are.

I saw Ferrrero beat Federer in 5 in NY in 2000, but it wasn't all that entertaining. They were young and moody and not as good (especially Fed) as they would become, and the match was marred by a few lengthy rain delays.

ssuHeartsRivald
02-15-2006, 01:58 AM
Miami final '05, Fed beat Nadal in 5 sets,....forget the score. Yep, the most remembered final 2005 i've seen.

Federer really was near to a ravine. But the gap between champs mentality and a new raising star was proven, that Fed turned back hardly to be a winner.

Wimbledon final'05 Fed-Roddick

I just love the way that Fed gave Roddick a tennis' course in practice. Everytime roddick came to the net, he lost the point. Perfect performance by Roger.

Galactus
02-15-2006, 02:44 AM
Lot of mentions for Federer-Roddick last year at Wimbledon, but seriously, how many people gave Roddick a chance in that final? Not many.

Contrast this to the same final 6 years earlier, when Agassi was arguably playing the best tennis of his career, was on a 71-14 streak for the '98-99 calender-year and on a roll having just won the French Open - Sampras simply mowed him down. Agassi was playing his best tennis and returning serve as best as he ever did and a couple of times was a 0-40 break up only to be aced 3-4 times straight. Too good.

jarrett
02-15-2006, 02:47 AM
Australian Open:
-Pete Sampras beat Jim Courier in Five sets in the quarters in 1995 (the match where he cried, remember?) Pete is coming back from two sets to none, fighting as hard as he could...
-Pete Sampras beat Muster in the semis 1997 (The court was slow, the balls were slow, pete is beating a real hot Muster in three sets, playing unbelievable tennis from the baseline)

Roland Garros 1996: The two matches won in 5 sets by Pete Sampras over Bruguera and Courrier were some of the most exciting matches i've seen (and I was there!!!!!!)

Roland Garros 1998: Safin beat Kuerten in five sets in the second round... Safin was unknown, just beat Agassi in the first round and wins a huge battle over Guga who just won the year before... Incredible tennis too!!!!

Roland Garros 2000: Kuerten beat Ferrero in five sets... It was Ferrero first RG and got very close from beating kuerten who saved himself with siiiiick backhands down the line in the fourth set!!!!

Wimbledon 1999: Pete is playing one of his best matches ever in the final, beating Agassi in 3 sets... Perfect tennis on grass...

US Open 2005: That final won by Federer against Agassi was underrated... The level of playing is just unreal!!!!! You need to watch it again... Look the way Federer moves during that match, a footwork model...

Masters 1996: Pete Sampras beat Becker in 5 sets in a thriller... My only regret is that the court was a little too fast... But what a fight!!!

Hamburg 2002: Federer beat Safin in the final showing why he would become one of the best players ever (he pretty much did not miss a ball during three sets while Safin was fighting more than usually)

actually, Gasquet-Haas in Davis cup last week was siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick!!!!!!!!!!!!
Some of the best tennis I've ever seen, for sure!!!!!! If Gasquet has the heart to fight the way he did during that match, he can potentially become a great, great player in the future...