PDA

View Full Version : String tension that the pros use with polyester?

kupo
06-12-2004, 08:25 PM
what are some pros that use polyester, what type, and what tension do they use? thanks[/code]

Joe Oldschool
06-13-2004, 01:55 PM
You're probably not going to get much in the way of helpful answers on this one. I'm sure you will get some guesses though.

Keep in mind that poly is a very, very stiff string material. You will probably want to try a few tensions before you can settle on a preferred one (I suggest you go to the low end of your racquet's recommended range, if not below it). Then, of course, there are the hybrids with poly/gut.

You are a young player. Experiment for yourself! It won't make a hill of beans worth of difference what string tension your favorite pro uses. You will have to find your own, and it will likely depend on your swing speed and personal preferences. Also, keep in mind that pros tend to replace strings nearly every time they play, while you will likely be using the same racquet for a few weeks, if not months. This makes a BIG difference.

There isn't a right or wrong on string tension. There are simply preferences.

Above all else, tennis is a "feel" sport. What feels right to you?

kupo
06-13-2004, 08:43 PM
I'm not asking so i can string at the same tension as my favorite pro... i'm just curious as to what some of their preferences are. Why? basically cuz i just am a tennis nut i guess, lol. Im not about to go string up as high as some of them do, because obviously their bodys are stronger. Also, Federer uses a gut/luxilon hybrid still? anyone know tension? and which is in the mains

Ruuzo
06-13-2004, 09:06 PM
Do some searches on this board - you'll find plenty of interesting reading on this topic.

K!ck5w3rvE
06-13-2004, 09:26 PM
fed uses gut mains and alu power rough crosses. Someone told me that he was using his old Tour 90 again too, anyone else seen him playing recently?

uk_skippy
06-13-2004, 11:23 PM
Having just come back from stringing at Roeahampton, the Wimbly qualies, I can give you some info:-

I strung a Tour NXG Mid+ with Big Banger mains@45, ALU Power @43 X's (player name-Anderson)

I also strung a Wilson Hammer Tour with Kirschbaum Competition 17 @ 26Kg(57lbs) (cant remember name).

Also strung 2xWilson Prostaff Tour 90's with Wilson Stamina 17 M, Wilson Enduro X's both @ 29Kg (64lbs) (cant remember players name.

Hope is is ok for you. If I can remeber some more then I'll post them, but feeling tired still.

Feņa14
06-15-2004, 08:20 AM
I know that Elena Dementieva strings with BB ALU power 16g at 48lbs.

I also know that Ferrero used to string his BB original at anything from 49lbs to 56lbs, depending on altitude, surface, conditions and how he was feeling on that particular day, he strings tighter on windy days for more control.

Hope this helps!

-Liam