PDA

View Full Version : Reflections on Sam Querry's first ATP match

norcal
02-14-2006, 09:22 AM
I had the good fortune to watch Querry v. Spadea from the first row behind the baseline yesterday. My friend and I predicted a blowout, no way this kid could compete with a veteran (some may say 'journeyman') like Spadea. Donald Young has not come close to winning a set in 8 or so ATP matches after all.

Well here's one way to avoid being blown out: Serve out of a tree. That's what Sam does. He was hitting so far down on the ball he was able to hit tremendous angles at above 120 mph. And he had a good first serve % for the first two sets. Add to that a very good forehand and he was holding serve pretty comfortably the first set.

Vince, being a smart player recognized two things pretty quickly: Sam likes pace and does not like (or is not very good at) hitting backhands on the run. So while Sam bombed away Vince hit mainly slice serves to pull Sam off the court and begin the track meet. Vince hit a lot of serves out wide on the deuce cout (slow serves; one first serve was 81 mph) and then hit a sharp angle to the open court. Vince was giving Sam junk I guarantee he doesn't get in the juniors.

Sam played clutch in the first set tiebreak and Vince missed an easy volley to give Sam the set. I was very impressed with the kid's mental toughness and agressive serve.

The second set Vince was picking up Sam's serve a bit better and getting some first serves back in play, making Sam work that much harder. Sam knew if he hit a second serve it was time to run. Vince started to not even put away some balls to make Sam run even more. A double fault, crushed return and an error and Spadea was up a break and closed out the set.

Spadea broke in the first game of the third set and the writing was on the wall. Sam still competed hard, running down every ball but in the end didn't have the energy to break Spadea's serve.

Positives for Sam's future as a pro:
Very good serve. Very little knee bend too; when he gets a bit stronger and uses his legs more the serve will get better.
Very good forehand. Runs around the backhand pretty well and can also hit the forehand on the run pretty well.
Good mental toughness. Showed no nerves really. Could have nerved away the first set TB but hung tough.

Things to work on:
Movement in general. Not suprising considering he's so tall so young. Specifically moving to the backhand side looks awkward and slow. More so when it is a low angled shot so he has to run to his left and a bit foreward.
Volleys. Never followed the big firs serve in. When he did come in on high floaters he chose to hit the swinging volley - mishit one and hit another one 3 feet out. With a regular volley stroke those were easy winners.
Physique. Put a slide rule in his pocket and he looks like a geek on his way to calculus class, not an athlete. Gotta strengthen up.

Conclusion: Future looks promising when he grows into that big frame. This match should be a great confidence builder for him.

Sidenote: After a particularly good point Vince came back to the wall to towel off and I said "Vince you're the pimp" and he smiled. And he made constant eye contact with the group of MILFs sitting in the next section. Boy did that make them happy.

BiGGieStuFF
02-14-2006, 09:36 AM
Spoiler Alert *tee hee*

GRANITECHIEF
02-14-2006, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the recap Norcal. Sounds like a pretty good assessment.

Freedom
02-14-2006, 11:15 AM
Meh. I don't like Vince Spadea. Never heard of this kid though.

Gugafan_Redux
02-14-2006, 12:23 PM
Sidenote: After a particularly good point Vince came back to the wall to towel off and I said "Vince you're the pimp" and he smiled. And he made constant eye contact with the group of MILFs sitting in the next section. Boy did that make them happy.

LOL!

Nice write-up on the match. Thanks, Norcal. :cool:

Lee
02-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Great tennis acumen you got there, Norcal. Are you going to SJ every day this week?

Lee
02-14-2006, 12:27 PM

Man, out of all the American tennis players, Spadea is definately the horniest! Can't keep the mind right, that's why he'll never win a slam :)

norcal
02-14-2006, 01:04 PM
Great tennis acumen you got there, Norcal. Are you going to SJ every day this week? Thanks Lee. Can't go every day but I hope to go to another day session this week. I wish I could take the week off and attend all the time since I have access to free ducats all week. Darn job and family getting in the way of my fun!

arosen
02-14-2006, 01:10 PM
Nicely done, Norcal, excellent match analysis, fun to read.

subtleskeptics
02-14-2006, 05:05 PM
I know for sure that Sam is currently ranked #1 in Southern California section and I think he is way up there in the national and ITF rankings too.

dennis1188
02-14-2006, 05:30 PM
2006 SAP Open Tournament

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 (early session, does not incl. evening session ,not yet played)

(Q) Brian WILSON (USA) def. (#8) Ivo KARLOVIC (CRO) 7-6(1), 7-6(5)
(#3) J. KERR (AUS)/T. PARROTT (USA) def. G. DRAGICEVIC (USA)/M. PEHAR (USA) 6-2, 6-2
(#1) S. ASPELIN (SWE)/T. PERRY (AUS) def. (WC) L. JENSEN (USA)/M. JENSEN (USA) 6-2, 6-1

Monday, February 13, 2006

Vincent SPADEA (USA) def. (Q) Sam QUERREY (USA) 6-7(4), 6-4, 6-2
Bjorn PHAU (GER) def. Cyril SAULNIER (FRA) 6-4, 7-5
(Q) Sam WARBURG (USA) def. Joachim JOHANSSON (SWE) 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
(LL) Travis RETTENMAIER (USA) def. (WC) Scoville JENKINS (USA) 7-5, 3-6, 6-3
Andy MURRAY (GBR) def. (WC) Mardy FISH (USA) 6-2, 6-2
P. GOLDSTEIN (USA)/J. THOMAS (USA) def. C. HAGGARD (RSA)/K. VLIEGEN (BEL) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0(5)

Of the matches, seen yesterday, warburg/johnsson match was by far better play/quality. Rettennmaier was lucky loser when agassi dropped out. Jenkins a typical big hitter w/ alot of low perecentage shots frm backcourt . Lots of volley opportunities for Rettennmaier.
Hewitt plays P. Goldstein weds. evening.

LN_Dad
02-14-2006, 06:43 PM
S. Querry has more potential than Donald Young cause he's big and strong with a power game. Young has yet to win an ATP match cause he has no power to put away shots and no big serves to get a couple of free points every serving game. I'm predicting that Donald Young will be the Tommy Ho of this decade.

goober
02-14-2006, 06:57 PM
S. Querry has more potential than Donald Young cause he's big and strong with a power game. Young has yet to win an ATP match cause he has no power to put away shots and no big serves to get a couple of free points every serving game. I'm predicting that Donald Young will be the Tommy Ho of this decade.

As much as I think that Donald Young is overhyped I doubt he is going to be another Tommy Ho. He is still 16 and you don't have to be a power player to be a top 10 type of player. Hewitt and Coria are good examples. I have decided I am not making any judgement on Donald Young at least for another 2 years.

Lefty Spin
02-14-2006, 07:03 PM
Norcal, Big Sam is really fun to watch hit? I got the opportunity to watch him hit at our club in the Chciago area with James Blake over Christmas. Blake was in town visiting his girlfriend's family. In regards to a comparison with Donald Young, it is really difficult to compare them. On a fast indoor court, I think the edge goes to Sam. On a slow outdoor court, the edge probably goes to Donald. Donald beat Sam in the finals at Kalamazoo for the U.S. Open wildcard. The courts in Kalamazoo are medium fast, but the weather that day was heavy and I think it helped Donald. Obviously, Donald will need to improve his serve, but he can hit it hard at times. Sam right now, is very consistent with the Serve, but Donald moves better and has better groundstrokes and returns. Donald has better technique on the volley, but Sam is still learning how to use his power to set up easier putaways.

Donald is definately better than a Tommy Ho because of his greater variety. Also, watch out for the Harrison boys out of Louisiana. They are only 12 and 13 but play a real good attacking game. In six years you will be raving about their games.

Phil
02-14-2006, 07:15 PM
Meh. I don't like Vince Spadea. Never heard of this kid though.

I'm not real familiar with "Webspeak" so please let me in on WTF "meh" means.

Becker
02-14-2006, 07:23 PM
I played Sam two years ago. He's in Palm Springs typically. Or was, he's going for ATP now.

I came to about the same conclusion you did. Except I fared worse than Vince, of course.

35ft6
02-15-2006, 03:30 AM
Nicely done, Norcal, excellent match analysis, fun to read. It's amazing how deep the pros are. I actually hope Spadea has a good year, although I think he's a lock to lose his bet of making the top 10.

Noelle
02-15-2006, 03:37 AM
I'm not real familiar with "Webspeak" so please let me in on WTF "meh" means.I believe it's an expression of indifference, akin to "I don't know..." or "Don't ask me." Probably the text equivalent of a shrug, because that's how I've seen it used. (found something about it as well: http://www.eslweb.net/topics/slang1.shtml )

I actually hope Spadea has a good year, although I think he's a lock to lose his bet of making the top 10.Perhaps he meant top 10 in doubles? :lol:

LN_Dad
02-15-2006, 11:49 AM
[QUOTE=Becker]I played Sam two years ago. He's in Palm Springs typically. Or was, he's going for ATP now.
QUOTE]

Did you play him in an ITF event or a SoCal Sectional event? Sam came close to beating an ATP journeyman, Cecil Mamiit, in the Men's Open division at Ojai last year. This kid is good.