PDA

View Full Version : Poly and arm probs

drop shot
06-13-2004, 12:44 AM
I recently strung my Wilson 5.2 OS with Kirshbaum honey on the mains and wilson ultra syn gut on the crosses. It has really given me arm pains. Am I imagining this? Have any of you experienced arm trouble with poly? If so to what extent? I did notice the pain semed to stop when I went back to all syn gut.

Gaines Hillix
06-13-2004, 04:49 AM
Listen to your body! The only string that I ever had any arm soreness was with Lux TiMO in a Bab PPZ 360, which is a fairly stiff frame. But, there are plenty of people out there who are sensitive to the stiffer strings. If you still want to try some of these, Poly Polar, Touch Turbo and Rab Monoflex are on the softer side for polys.

TennsDog
06-13-2004, 02:34 PM
I actually just switched to polyester strings from syn gut -- Prince Lightning XX to Babolat Ballistic Polymono. I love the feel of the poly, it's better than the Lightning. I would say that I actually had more problems with my arm when I was using the Lightning than I do now with the poly. It is actually quite soft, partially because I can string it at a lower tension and still get good control. I would say listen to your body, but don't necessarily rule out all poly strings because of that one. Perhaps lowering the tension and/or trying nat. gut crosses might help.

borisboris
06-13-2004, 05:23 PM
:x :x The Kirsch SS = a great string when it's LIVE but when the tension goes so does your arm. I've used the SS in an ultra stiff stick for 3 yrs. & my arm-deltoid will be sore - especially from a full one-handed backhand. But I love the string and try to play thru it. I have switched to the TT and like the earlier poster mentioned it does alleviate stress on the arm and plays great. I've never hybrid the SS nor the TT - might be worth a try. I just experimented this weekend w/ gut mains Bio Gut Poly cross = very soft. Good luck :twisted:

prince
06-13-2004, 08:40 PM
i used tour 90 and synthetic for 4 months with no problems - i then used kirsch comp and tt --- holy cow - i got elbow problems .

switched back to synthetic and tour 90 but too late - elbow pain comes when i play.

i had to switch racquets again to wilson ROK and multi / or gut to relieve me of elbow pain.

Deuce
06-13-2004, 11:19 PM
When I first tried a Poly hybrid, I was scared - largely because of what I'd read on these boards about Poly and arm pain. But the hybrid (Polylon & Leoina 66) was absolutely no problem. Didn't feel harsh at all.

Then, a few months later, I tried an all Polylon job (at 53 pounds in an 80 sq. in. flexible frame from the 80s). Again, no problem at all - I continue to play with an all Polylon job.

Polylon should definitely be included in any grouping of soft Polyester strings.