PDA

View Full Version : Why do people try to rip people off

ttwarrior1
02-14-2006, 01:30 PM
If you buy a racket for 100 and its two years old , sorry its not worth 80 bucks.

moist
02-14-2006, 05:40 PM
If it sells, it was worth $80. Welcome to a free market.

TNT
02-14-2006, 05:55 PM
supply and demand is what drives the price; you know that.

snoflewis
02-14-2006, 06:12 PM
If you buy a racket for 100 and its two years old , sorry its not worth 80 bucks.

first of all...wrong section...

2nd: there are always exceptions, few being st. vincents, and old rackets that have not been used that are in high demand. also, you can always be lucky and find rackets cheap and sell it for a higher price.

im not sure why you posted this, but im guessing that you yourself have been ripped off. especially since this is on a forum w/ only tennis information, it's always a good idea to do some research of w/e you're buying BEFORE you buy it.

louis netman
02-14-2006, 09:11 PM
A product will sell for whatever the market for it dictates. I recently bought a discontinued frame from 1996 and had no problem paying $80 bucks for it. I had a want ad out for it for over 6 months to no avail. A Dunlop Maxply wood racket from 1970 sold for over $110 on ****. Remember, asking price means nothing. A classic XKE Jaguar is only worth what someone out there is willing to pay (and it happens to be a pretty penny). If someone is selling an unpopular, 2 year-old racket at a high price, he/she will (hopefully) figure it out in due time... I don't think anyone on these boards is out to "rip people off." However, beware of the scammers and examine references when dealing with unfamiliar posters.

BreakPoint
02-15-2006, 11:58 AM
Price is set by the demand. A 20 year old St. Vincent PS 6.0 85 in mint condition could sell for over $400.

Age is not a factor in racquets as much as condition is. Many people have racquets in their closets that they bought many years ago but have only used a couple of times. Those racquets still retain their value.