PDA

View Full Version : What is the future prospect of Donald Young?

joy
02-15-2006, 01:12 AM
Is he destined to have a big career ahead of him, possibly world no 1 for the future? What type of player he is and what are his strengths? Since he is a lefty, may be he can provide a good matchup for Nadal. When is he expected to make an impact in the pro tennis? May be in short future?

Max G.
02-15-2006, 09:46 AM
He seems to be far overhyped...

He's very good for a 16-year-old, but not pro material yet.

Maybe in a couple of years.

vllockhart
02-15-2006, 09:50 AM

Duh, yeah, he's 16. He's a junior, not a pro.

But u can't really predict what will happen later. I've heard retired pros talk about the top juniors they played whose success never translated onto the pro tour.

Nothing to do but wait and see. If he doesn't get some height, then it'll be hard for him.

ACE of Hearts
02-15-2006, 09:51 AM
We will see, the thing with him now is that he lacks power.He can built that up.

el_profe
02-15-2006, 12:07 PM
he is way overhyped, he is taking all these wildcards and doing nothing with them, he is even losing in futures, he finally broke through this week with a weak field, for hsi age he should have some succes in futures, he is also small and at 16 its not like he will grow 5 inches and be 6 ft. tall so dont look for him to all of a sudden develop and be this big hitter.

Del Potro, Nadal, Gasquet, korolev where all having more succes at his age in the future and challenger circuit than young was.

He is a good junior but his junior succes has not translated to even the lowest pro level.

Colpo
02-15-2006, 12:32 PM
He's awfully little, both in physical stature and presence. His parents are little people too, from what I've seen, and they also lord the game and their sacrifice over him ("love this game ... or else"). Let's be honest, what ceiling does this player have, and is he already there? He's no Al Parker in the juniors, and Al Parker flamed out after college.

Ever since Michael Chang was near the top for several years, it's become verboten to say that a little guy can't be big in the modern game. But the modern game (men's) changes all the time, getting faster and stronger. Someone in Tennis Week made the point that Roddick is still playing his 2003 game now, but that now, only 3 years later, his 2003 game is dated and ineffective. What does that hold for Donald Young?

I wish the kid the best. God knows he's had every opportunity under the sun to excel, and there are some in his circle (IMG people come to mind) who have cultivated that 'goose' to date for sure. Beauty is, the worse thing that can happen is he scholarships to Stanford or Duke, assuming he's still eligible, and that's not so bad.

Lefty Spin
02-15-2006, 12:56 PM
Donald is already about 5'10. I think he can definately grow to about 6'1. He is obviously lacking in the power department, however, I think the trend towards mens tennis being all about power is diminishing. Hewitt, Coria, and even Nadal are not what I consider power players. In terms of record, Donald already has surpassed Al Parker. Don't get me wrong, Al was real good. I own some bagels to prove it. In terms of credentials, however, Donald has surpassed Al. As he develops his game, I think Donald definately has top ten or twenty potential. As others have said, it is difficult to predict how any teenager will develop at the pro level. In terms of variety, Donald really can do a lot of things. He can serve and volley, grind and at times play an aggressive baseline game. Ultimately, Donald will need to discover/learn which style works best for him on the Tour. I really think Donald could be a potential Australian or French champion in five years. Only time knows the answer to that question.

Pancho
02-15-2006, 01:16 PM
He is overhyped. He has yet to win an ATP match. I doubt he many matches this year. He should try the bush leagues first like Challengers and Satetlites before tacking ATP tours and lose in straight sets.

Moose Malloy
02-15-2006, 01:16 PM

He's not still playing junior events, is he?

cruzersi99
02-15-2006, 01:35 PM
Give the kid some time. He's 16 and at 5'10" he's a stick. If you watch him play, you can immediately tell his tennis mind is very advanced. Physically he's just not over powering yet (although he may never be), and it may just take a while for him to get the confidence when playing on the big circuit.

mr.fitch
02-15-2006, 01:36 PM
Just give him time to get that growth spurt and he'll do better. He's gotta gain some muscle as well. He's 16 and he will need physical maturity as well as more training.

devilish_duke
02-15-2006, 01:38 PM
THere's nothing special about him. I don't see why he and scoville get so much hype... I know better players ranked a bit higher who would really benefit from the WCs given to these two.

Max G.
02-15-2006, 01:39 PM
He's not still playing junior events, is he?

Well, this past December he still was. Hasn't played any this year yet, according to the ITF site.

Max G.
02-15-2006, 01:40 PM
THere's nothing special about him.

Well, getting to be the #1 ranked Junior at age 16 is pretty special.

I do agree about the wildcards though, there was no reason to give him so many last year, he certainly wasn't ready for the pro tour yet...

arosen
02-15-2006, 03:13 PM
He is a nobody with good strokes, at best he will be another Vince Spadea - like player.

erik-the-red
02-15-2006, 03:21 PM
I don't want to hate on the guy, because he is talented, but...

...if he is the future of American tennis, then American tennis is really, really screwed.

If you're my height (~5'9") and you want to make it on the ATP Tour, then you have to be willing to grind out every single point to the dust, like Coria. Or...you have to be able to show explosiveness on a regular basis, like Grosjean (forehand) or Gaudio (backhand).

Yes, he's "only" sixteen, but I always like to point out that at sixteen Andre won ATP matches and struck the ball very hard. Michael [Chang] even won a title as a sixteen-year old.

I think he has been spoiled the past year with his wildcards. Look at Baghdatis, also a former world #1 junior. He played a lot of qualies and futures last year and look what happened - finalist at this year's Australian Open, losing to Roger Federer, and putting up a good fight in the process! He toughed it out and was not spoiled in the process.

quest01
02-15-2006, 03:22 PM
He isnt playing very well right now. It will take him a few years i think until he reaches his full potentional. I could beat him right now probably or atleast take a set away from him.

West Coast Ace
02-15-2006, 03:28 PM
Donald is already about 5'10. I think he can definately grow to about 6'1. He is obviously lacking in the power department, however, I think the trend towards mens tennis being all about power is diminishing. Hewitt, Coria, and even Nadal are not what I consider power players. In terms of record, Donald already has surpassed Al Parker. Are you an expert in teen male growth patterns? What do you base this on? How do you know he's going to grow any more? Someone said his parents are small - that's usually a pretty reliable barometer - he may get a little bigger through nutrition.

Disagree with your assessment of power too. Power robs your opponent of time and keeps him on the defensive and unless there's a major change to the game that trend will continue. They can slow down the courts but the players are getting bigger and stronger. If they try to tone down the racket technology they'll get sued and lose. And even if they pulled it off, taking the power out of the rackets would hurt Young more than the bigger guys.

Not sure I buy your Al Parker comparison either. The pundits all thought Parker would be very successful. Seems like a lot of Donald Young's pub is based on politically correct notions.

Having said all that the right answer is "too soon to tell." Besides the physical, there's no way to gauge his desire to be a champion. Will he put in the work or be happy to be a tour player and bank good money, drive awesome cars, and get hot chicks?

arnz
02-15-2006, 03:35 PM
I agree with all of the above.... No, I mean I disagree with all the above..

Who on earth is Donald Young???:confused:

Bones08
02-15-2006, 03:45 PM
I think Donald will be very Good. I mean our opionions are good, but look at the people who have given him praise.Nick B,Roddick,Blake,Bud Collins,and Patrick Mcenroe. Not only them, but John Mcenroe. I mean, I just don't think that if they saw someone playing, the would say he was that good. It has to be something good there....He almost won the 1st set at the U.S. Open, and had he won, it could have been a different match. He can play, he's 16 years old. I'm sorry but take it as I say it, I just wonder would he get talked about the same way if he was different...

fastdunn
02-15-2006, 04:24 PM
Call me a racist and I'm not black but I can't help thinking
that it's more likey to be a black guy if there is going to be
THE player in the future who can better Laver or Sampras
and get labeled as the greatest ever...

legolas
02-15-2006, 04:49 PM

yea

Phil
02-15-2006, 06:11 PM
I agree with all of the above.... No, I mean I disagree with all the above..

Who on earth is Donald Young???:confused:

He's some junior player who hasn't won a set in the pros, been handed wild cards all over the place, and is WAY overhyped on this Board. He could break wind and a new thread would appear to discuss it...kinda sickening how some people here jump on the bandwagon for a nobody (at least at this point).

Lefty Spin
02-15-2006, 06:20 PM
I am not an expert in teen growth patterns, but I have actually met both of Donald's parents. So I probably have a better basis than someone who has not. Two years ago, one of the coaches in the area who knows Donald said that he was told he would grow six more inches. At the time, he was about 5'6. I was told he wears a size 12 shoe. Does this mean anything, probably not. But I wear a ten and I am 5'10. I have seen most of the top Juniors in the U.S. play and Donald is the top prospect. He handles power well, As I think I mentioned in this or another thread, I think once he understands what skill works best for him at the ATP level he will do real well. Time will tell.

tykrum
02-15-2006, 06:25 PM
It says something about him that there is a bandwagon to jump on at age 16 though.

I have never seen him play, so I have no say in how good he is or can/will be. I will say that if he is so cerebral etc. (the male Martina Hingis or something), I really hope he makes it because I would like to see someone like that playing on tour for many years.

el_profe
02-15-2006, 08:32 PM
I think he has been spoiled the past year with his wildcards. Look at Baghdatis, also a former world #1 junior. He played a lot of qualies and futures last year and look what happened - finalist at this year's Australian Open, losing to Roger Federer, and putting up a good fight in the process! He toughed it out and was not spoiled in the process.
youre right about almost everything, but Baghdatis played no futures last year, he was playing challengers, but he played more atp events than challengers. But yes he was not handed out wildcards like most players he earned his way to the top, donald young has earned his 30something points almost exclusively by wildcards.

And like I pointed out, Korolev, Del Potro, Nadal, Gasquet all had succes at the future level definetly and at challenger level also, and even some at the atp level, at the age of 16. I dont think Young's breakthrough if it does occur will be anytime soon, and I doubt he will be a top 10 player as he was hyped to be.

Andy Hewitt
02-15-2006, 08:47 PM
Sick of hearing about him to be honest.

goober
02-15-2006, 09:19 PM

Well actually he turned pro last year so I guess that makes him a pro. He has contracts with Nike, head and IMG and gets prize money if he wins. Chang turned pro at 15 and Agassi at 16 so just being 16 doesn't mean you can't be a pro.

sandiegotennisboy
02-15-2006, 09:35 PM
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too overhyped, and those blue contacts annoy me. I say stop handing him the wildcards until he actually deserves em. Last year was pathetic.

Bones08
02-15-2006, 09:59 PM
He hasn't had a wildcard for an ATP event since the Open. Keep it going Donald, and when you do make it-Look back at this board and laugh at what these people said. You're already going to face a lot for......I'll stop there.

DaveGrable
02-15-2006, 10:28 PM

Not only are you a racist, but an idiot too. Why on earth would a black guy be the one to better Sampas? Federer is already on his way to accomplish this. White guys seem to be perfectly capable.

A black guy? Not in your lifetime, buddy.

Phil
02-15-2006, 10:32 PM
Not only are you a racist, but an idiot too. Why on earth would a black guy be the one to better Sampas? Federer is already on his way to accomplish this. White guys seem to be perfectly capable.

His comment is stupid, yours is worse.

Grigollif1
02-15-2006, 10:37 PM
hahahahahaha!!! My avatar resumes my reaction reading this thread.

hyperwarrior
02-15-2006, 10:42 PM
His comment is stupid, yours is worse.

Idem!!

LOL

fastdunn
02-16-2006, 10:56 AM

OK. Let's be more foolish (as the moto of Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple).

I do have bias against black people: They are more athletic than
others. I don't want to lie. I have that stereo-typing tendency.

Their muscle fibers compositions are different from others which
is scientific data...

Moose Malloy
02-16-2006, 11:10 AM
So was Arthur Ashe racist, as well Grable?
He said (in the late 70s I believe) that the only thing preventing black athletes from dominating tennis was that it was too expensive.
It's not just a coincidence that the most athletic positions in NFL, NBA have been played by black athletes for many years.

One of the (many) reasons tennis doesn't get its props in the US as being an athletic sport is that it is a 99% white sport.

Grimjack
02-16-2006, 11:12 AM
I think Young might have the highest ceiling of any player I've seen since Al Parker.

Rob_C
02-16-2006, 11:34 AM
I don't want to hate on the guy, because he is talented, but...

...if he is the future of American tennis, then American tennis is really, really screwed.

If you're my height (~5'9") and you want to make it on the ATP Tour, then you have to be willing to grind out every single point to the dust, like Coria. Or...you have to be able to show explosiveness on a regular basis, like Grosjean (forehand) or Gaudio (backhand).

Yes, he's "only" sixteen, but I always like to point out that at sixteen Andre won ATP matches and struck the ball very hard. Michael [Chang] even won a title as a sixteen-year old.

Baghdatis hasn't played futures in years.

DaveGrable
02-16-2006, 06:42 PM
So was Arthur Ashe racist, as well Grable?
He said (in the late 70s I believe) that the only thing preventing black athletes from dominating tennis was that it was too expensive.
It's not just a coincidence that the most athletic positions in NFL, NBA have been played by black athletes for many years.

One of the (many) reasons tennis doesn't get its props in the US as being an athletic sport is that it is a 99% white sport.

If Arthur Ashe said that, then Yes.... he's a racist. To claim that any one race would/should dominate a sport is racist propaganda.

There was a kid named Martin Blackman (yes that really is his last name), who trained at the Bolletieri Academy at the same time as Agassi, Courier, and Wheaton. This Black male had all the same training, teaching, and advantages as the other players, yet his short-lived career in the pros was a joke.

Uh, hmmmm.... since he's Black, shouldn't he have dominated? What happened.... weren't his fast twitch muscles working? What a mystery....

Tennis is a thinking man's game as well as an athletic sport. Brad Gilbert already proved this.

Someone mentioned the NFL. How many great Black quarterbacks have their been in the history of Football?

chrismaylor
02-16-2006, 10:44 PM
No chance, saw him play in the US Open, kid just doesn't have the game a probably will never...

Christopher Maylor

http://www.********.com
Serendipity Shoe Lifts ~ Be Taller Now

Marius_Hancu
03-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Pretty tough beating from Henman at IW.
Lots to learn, I guess.

tennispro2388
03-11-2006, 02:55 PM
How is Donald compared to Federer at 16, I mean by match statistics, win/loss, and ranking?

Jonas
03-11-2006, 03:00 PM
I believe he is ahead of Federer (at this point).
People often forget that DY is 16 years old..He has already won huge 18-under tournaments and junior grand slams. He is a bit overhyped as of right now, but by the time he is 19-20 he will be one of the best players in the world, if he doesn't get injured. I don't think burn-out will be a problem for him.
He's going to be a solid pro no matter what, but if he grows into a decent size and developes a larger game (which he should) he will be a great one./

Volly master
03-11-2006, 03:57 PM
hes going to be a pro, but not grandslam matieral IMO

meanwhile all the other countries are training their own kids to match with todays style (AKA anti-federer).

But as long as the Federer Era continues, Young doesnt have a shot in hell.

Jonas
03-11-2006, 03:59 PM
By the time DY hits his prime 22-23 Federer won't be playing professional tennis, or at the very least will be just hanging around the tour.

Double K
03-11-2006, 06:42 PM
I think he'll never make it out the box, he just does'nt have the game.

framebreaker
03-11-2006, 08:29 PM
height doesnt matter.
he can build up muscles

Wondertoy
03-11-2006, 08:49 PM
I've seen him play 3 times. He is overhyped and does not have any weapons. Being a great junior may have no correlation to success in the pros. You can be a pusher and keep the ball deep and be a great junior. He has a weak forehand, a weak serve (with a very low toss). He moves well and is essentially a grinder with no big stroke. I think his chance for success are slim. Johnny Mac liked his game at 10-12. Everyone jumped on the bandwagon at 15-16 as lemmings do. There's a reason why the 12-14's mean nothing about future success as a pro. Players mature differently in body size. The weapons don't come out until 16-18. IMO, he's more likely to be the next Tommy Ho rather than the next great one.

Bones08
03-11-2006, 09:27 PM
He'll be very go by the time he's 18-19 years old. People are so funny, if some things about Donald we're different, people would feel different. All of these young us players who people say should get this or that, most have been beaten by Donald. His problem is when he loses a set, he get so mad at hmslef/and his game that he tends not to compete as hard in the next set. He's got to grow up from that, and when he does he will be very good.

tennisspice
03-12-2006, 03:56 AM
He's yet another example of the fact that is takes a markedly different set of talents to succeed at the pro level as opposed to the junior level. I hope that there is some way that he can get his college eligibility back, go to school, and have a nice life.

Grimjack
03-12-2006, 05:31 AM
He's yet another example of the fact that is takes a markedly different set of talents to succeed at the pro level as opposed to the junior level. I hope that there is some way that he can get his college eligibility back, go to school, and have a nice life.

He wouldn't need to get eligibility back. He can't play in college, but he can certainly GO to college. His endorsements will be worth far more than an athletic scholarship would have been. If he bombs out as a pro, he can take a teensy bit of his savings and pay for his four years with a suitcase full of cash.

Or he can move to some tropical island, live off the interest, and retire at 20.

Grimjack
03-12-2006, 05:32 AM
Or he can blow it all on Bentleys, bling, and James Blake castoffs.

Volly master
03-12-2006, 06:03 AM
He'll be very go by the time he's 18-19 years old. People are so funny, if some things about Donald we're different, people would feel different. All of these young us players who people say should get this or that, most have been beaten by Donald. His problem is when he loses a set, he get so mad at hmslef/and his game that he tends not to compete as hard in the next set. He's got to grow up from that, and when he does he will be very good.

yeahh if ur some big prodigy and you get mad at your self and you bomb it from there. then you have no shot in hell. I mean (as rare as this is), if federer lost the first set, he could dig even deeper then before because now he knows he has a challenge on his hands. So if Donald want's to show everyone what he can do, he might as well toughin up mentally or else he cannot win.

If you are an average pro but have good mental toughness and a good heart you can win more matches then you think.

Gusman...OUT !

West Coast Ace
03-12-2006, 11:19 AM

One of the (many) reasons tennis doesn't get its props in the US as being an athletic sport is that it is a 99% white sport.'Affluenza' - rich kids being too comfortable to work hard - is another reason. JMac even said this when asked if any of his kids would end up as pro tennis players.

One interesting thing is happening in the NBA - the importing of European and S. American players - NBA coaches and GMs are realizing that raw athletic ability is one thing - but you still need team players, who possess the fundamentals and 'know their role.'

Rob_C
03-13-2006, 12:38 PM
'
One interesting thing is happening in the NBA - the importing of European and S. American players - NBA coaches and GMs are realizing that raw athletic ability is one thing - but you still need team players, who possess the fundamentals and 'know their role.'

I disagree with team concept/role players being the reason for the trend. Its widely accepted that European & S. American players have bery good fundamentals, and thats because they are required to work on those parts of the game.

But, just like, because of the success of Lebron, Kobe, Tracy McGrady and all the other high schoolers that went straight to the league and wound up being stars, more and more high schoolers are being drafted b/c GMs dont want to be the one who passed over a certain player.

More & more European & S. American players are being drafterd b/c GMs dont want to be the one who passed over the next Nowitski, or the next Ginobli.

Breaker
03-13-2006, 02:37 PM
Or he can blow it all on Bentleys, bling, and James Blake castoffs.

Uncalled for...And Young is definitely overhyped, he needs to quickly develop some weapons in the next 2-3 years to be able to compete at top 100 level, then try to find "the edge" the top players seem to have to get to the top, if he doesn't then he's probably destined to be no more than a "journeyman" top 100 player who may pull off the big upset once in a blue moon.

Joe Average
03-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Girls mature faster than boys. The difference between a 16 year girl and a 25year old woman is less than that between a 16 year old boy and a 25 year old man. That's why the history of women's tennis is about young phenoms ... from Maureen Connolly to Tracy Austin to Martina Hingis and, yes, to Maria Sharapova. It's not the same with men. Sure, there are exceptions ... Boris Becker, for one ... but hardly the rule. How was Sampras at 16? Federer?

Moose Malloy
03-13-2006, 03:06 PM
More & more European & S. American players are being drafterd b/c GMs dont want to be the one who passed over the next Nowitski, or the next Ginobli.

Or they could be the GM that picked the next Darko;)

How was Sampras at 16? Federer?

Don't know, but they certainly didn't start their pro career with an 0-8 record like Donald has.

Max G.
03-13-2006, 06:33 PM
Don't know, but they certainly didn't start their pro career with an 0-8 record like Donald has.

Well, to be fair, they weren't shoved into the pro stage before they were ready for it, like Donald has been.

Whoever is letting him into these events, both those giving the wildcards and those coaches taht are suggesting this to him, need to stop, he needs to work his way up the rankings like everyone else...

LN_Dad
03-13-2006, 08:52 PM
Well, to be fair, they weren't shoved into the pro stage before they were ready for it, like Donald has been.

Whoever is letting him into these events, both those giving the wildcards and those coaches taht are suggesting this to him, need to stop, he needs to work his way up the rankings like everyone else...

I think IMG has a lot of pull with the USTA and this is how DY got all these wildcards. I know of another young player with lots of potential who was not given the same treatment by the USTA so he decided to go to his dad's native country AUS to train with their national team instead.

VictorS.
03-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Girls mature faster than boys. The difference between a 16 year girl and a 25year old woman is less than that between a 16 year old boy and a 25 year old man. That's why the history of women's tennis is about young phenoms ... from Maureen Connolly to Tracy Austin to Martina Hingis and, yes, to Maria Sharapova. It's not the same with men. Sure, there are exceptions ... Boris Becker, for one ... but hardly the rule. How was Sampras at 16? Federer?

Very good point. Hopefully Young can continue to work hard and make strides. I honestly haven't seen him play (except for video clips here and there), however he seems to be a very talented player. I definitely wouldn't write him off just yet. Not everyone can dominate like Nadal at age 18. It's obvious Young has some maturing to do. He may never be a real imposing figure. But he'll certainly fill out some more physically.

Rob_C
03-14-2006, 01:19 AM
I think IMG has a lot of pull with the USTA and this is how DY got all these wildcards. I know of another young player with lots of potential who was not given the same treatment by the USTA so he decided to go to his dad's native country AUS to train with their national team instead.

Are u talking about Carsten Ball?? I wouldn't say he has lots of potential. He's a big guy, and he's been given plenty of WCs into futures, he's only won 1 1st rd futures match so far I think.

Shabazza
03-14-2006, 02:14 AM

Why does this remind me so much of Gasquet, when he was 15-16?!!! - he was in a slump for 2 years afterwards - I guess it will be the same for D.Y. and to be honest, I don't like his chances to come through the way Richard did!
This kind of pushing won't help him to gain the confidence he needs to compete on the pro tour!

guernica1
03-14-2006, 04:46 AM
Why does this remind me so much of Gasquet, when he was 15-16?!!! - he was in a slump for 2 years afterwards - I guess it will be the same for D.Y. and to be honest, I don't like his chances to come through the way Richard did!
This kind of pushing won't help him to gain the confidence he needs to compete on the pro tour!

Gasquet at age 15-16 won 3/4 junior slams in addition to winning futures events and Spanish satellites on clay which are extremely tough. I remember some video of his win over Squillari at TMS Monte Carlo at age 15 and the guy already had killer shots off the ground.

His slump actually came age 17-18 when he was switching coaches every 6 months and didn't have much direction it seemed.

And even then, Gasquet was very skinny and had trouble hanging with the big boys on a strength basis.

DY is even skinnier than Gasquet was at the same age and lacks the same power. I'm surprised he took the WC to Indian Wells; he was actually starting to string together some wins in futures events. Not sure if getting whacked by Henman is a great way to build confidence.

LN_Dad
03-14-2006, 05:47 AM
Are u talking about Carsten Ball?? I wouldn't say he has lots of potential. He's a big guy, and he's been given plenty of WCs into futures, he's only won 1 1st rd futures match so far I think.
Yes, Carsten got WCs in futures but DY got WCs into ATP tournaments.
I think carsten's game is more suited to the pro level with the big serve big groundstrokes. Give him another year and his ranking will go up.

BabolatFan
03-14-2006, 07:00 AM
Very good point. Hopefully Young can continue to work hard and make strides. I honestly haven't seen him play (except for video clips here and there), however he seems to be a very talented player. I definitely wouldn't write him off just yet. Not everyone can dominate like Nadal at age 18. It's obvious Young has some maturing to do. He may never be a real imposing figure. But he'll certainly fill out some more physically.

I won't disagree with u on this. DY's still maturing. With that said, he needs a great coach, a mentor and a fitness trainer. Hopefully DY will develope a much greater game with his talent and stay focused...

chiphooper
03-14-2006, 08:45 AM
I wish tournament officials would stop giving him so many wildcards. These should be going to more deserving players

krackerjack50
03-14-2006, 09:08 AM
I think the jury is out on him. No doubt he has tons of talent. I think the two things that will impact him going forward is his size - he is very small by today's standards; he will need to grow taller and get stronger while maintaining his speed - Second is his mechanics on the serve. He's got a quick delivery, looked almost too quick to me? I didn't see enough of him to know for sure, but it looked suspect...

Rob_C
03-14-2006, 10:44 AM
Yes, Carsten got WCs in futures but DY got WCs into ATP tournaments.
I think carsten's game is more suited to the pro level with the big serve big groundstrokes. Give him another year and his ranking will go up.

I hope it'll go up, he's ranked 1219. He's gotten a ton of WCs into challengers and futures, he's won 2 main draw futures matches. There's no lack of size on his part, as compared to DY. At least DY has gotten 2 QF and 1 SF this year in futures tourneys. Not to mention he's two years older.

To his credit, he has qualied for 2/3 futures tourneys, so he has earned his way a few times.

Tchocky
03-14-2006, 10:54 AM
I'm so sick & tired of hearing about Donald Young. Young competing in professional tournaments is about as laughable as me competing in a Grand Slam tournament (NTRP 4.5). Donald Young, Scoville Jenkins, Shenay Perry...this sounds like affirmative action in tennis. The USTA clearly has an agenda....they're trying to turn Donald Young into the Tiger Woods of tennis. I'm sorry if I offend anyone but someone has to say it. You should have to earn your wild cards by past achievments.

Rob_C
03-14-2006, 11:43 AM
I'm so sick & tired of hearing about Donald Young. Young competing in professional tournaments is about as laughable as me competing in a Grand Slam tournament (NTRP 4.5). Donald Young, Scoville Jenkins, Shenay Perry...this sounds like affirmative action in tennis. The USTA clearly has an agenda....they're trying to turn Donald Young into the Tiger Woods of tennis. I'm sorry if I offend anyone but someone has to say it. You should have to earn your wild cards by past achievments.

Ignorant. DY has earned his WCs, so have the other two. DY WON the Aus Open jrs last year, and Kalamazoo, I think the youngest at both. He was also the youngest year end No. 1 jr in history.

Scoville Jenkins won Kalamzoo the year b4 DY.

Perry just won the 75K tournament at TTC open last week.

You act like only black players get WCs.

Moose Malloy
03-14-2006, 12:16 PM
Ignorant. DY has earned his WCs, so have the other two. DY WON the Aus Open jrs last year, and Kalamazoo, I think the youngest at both. He was also the youngest year end No. 1 jr in history.

So how many Australian Open Junior winners & #1 juniors have gotten 8 wildcards(without any of them resulting in a win or even a set won)? You should look up the list of winners of slam juniors, not one has gotten the free passes that Young has got, without showing a lot more potential(ie wins)

The only wildcard that Young "earned" was last year's US Open. The winner of Kalamazoo is always awarded a WC.

guernica1
03-14-2006, 02:05 PM
So how many Australian Open Junior winners & #1 juniors have gotten 8 wildcards(without any of them resulting in a win or even a set won)? You should look up the list of winners of slam juniors, not one has gotten the free passes that Young has got, without showing a lot more potential(ie wins)

The only wildcard that Young "earned" was last year's US Open. The winner of Kalamazoo is always awarded a WC.

A lot of Young's WC's come through his management group, IMG which has a big stake in these tournaments.

HE got a WC to Houston last year, I think because Jim McIngvale knows it would be a decent draw. I suspect he may get one again this year. Donald Young is reaching the point of a traveling side show now and his WC's no doubt generate some minor buzz in the early days of a tournament which are typically kinda dead.

As for Jenkins, this guy has some decent talent, lots of power, good size, scrappy, gave Nadal a fight at USO.

Moose Malloy
03-14-2006, 02:22 PM
HE got a WC to Houston last year, I think because Jim McIngvale knows it would be a decent draw. I suspect he may get one again this year. Donald Young is reaching the point of a traveling side show now and his WC's no doubt generate some minor buzz in the early days of a tournament which are typically kinda dead.

That's sad. When do you think they will stop giving him WC's? I know he got one in Miami next week. It's getting absurd, it's been over a year since his 1st WC, no wins, no challengers won. He isn't showing any potential that warrants WC's. Pmac said yesterday he doesn't belong at this level. So did Henman after beating him. I can't believe people are actually drawn to his matches, must be because Johnny Mac talked about him on air.

As for Jenkins, this guy has some decent talent, lots of power, good size, scrappy, gave Nadal a fight at USO.

I have no problem with Jenkins getting WC's. He actually won 2 atp matches last year. Of course at some point, he should stop getting them(if he doesn't continue to get wins at futures/challenger levels, improve his ranking)

I looked up Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, the 2003 US Open Junior Champ. He has only received 3 wildcards in his entire career. He is still struggling at the futures/challenger levels. No free ride for this guy, even in France.

Rob_C
03-14-2006, 02:22 PM

I'm pretty sure none, because very few people have been Aus Open champs & #1 in the world.

But DY isnt the only person who had gotten wildcards. Top jrs get WCs all the time, its how WCs work, young up & coming jrs, established pros who are coming back from an injury, Mardy Fish, Ivanisevic, or older "name" pros who wouldn't have gotten into the draw otherwise, McEnroe.

As far as other top US jrs in the past who have gotten WCs and havent panned out, Scott Humphries, Brian Dunn, David Witt, Ivan Baron, JJ Jackson to name a few.

Moose Malloy
03-14-2006, 02:38 PM
I'm pretty sure none, because very few people have been Aus Open champs & #1 in the world.

But DY isnt the only person who had gotten wildcards. Top jrs get WCs all the time, its how WCs work, young up & coming jrs, established pros who are coming back from an injury, Mardy Fish, Ivanisevic, or older "name" pros who wouldn't have gotten into the draw otherwise, McEnroe.

As far as other top US jrs in the past who have gotten WCs and havent panned out, Scott Humphries, Brian Dunn, David Witt, Ivan Baron, JJ Jackson to name a few.

See my previous post about Tsonga. I'm looking up other US Open Junior champs, Muller, Di Pasquale, Nieminen. Hardly any WC's for them when they started out. They won futures & challengers to earn their way to the big leagues.
If you can tell me where to find a list of all the #1 juniors, I will try to see if any of them received Young-like treatment.

Andy Murray got wildcards at queen's & wimbledon last year & actually won some rounds. Because of that great result, he got more WCs & continued to play & win challengers. He earned his WC's. Ditto Andy Roddick circa 2000. He was actually winning matches when he got WC's, so he kept getting them.

Scott Humphries, Brian Dunn, David Witt, Ivan Baron, JJ Jackson

I'll bet you anything none of those guys got 8 wildcards in one year. No up & coming juniors has ever received this many, without getting any wins to show they were warranted.

Rob_C
03-14-2006, 03:06 PM
See my previous post about Tsonga. I'm looking up other US Open Junior champs, Muller, Di Pasquale, Nieminen. Hardly any WC's for them when they started out. They won futures & challengers to earn their way to the big leagues.
If you can tell me where to find a list of all the #1 juniors, I will try to see if any of them received Young-like treatment.

Andy Murray got wildcards at queen's & wimbledon last year & actually won some rounds. Because of that great result, he got more WCs & continued to play & win challengers. He earned his WC's. Ditto Andy Roddick circa 2000. He was actually winning matches when he got WC's, so he kept getting them.

I'll bet you anything none of those guys got 8 wildcards in one year. No up & coming juniors has ever received this many, without getting any wins to show they were warranted.

Maybe its DYs age thats working for and against him. Because of what he's achieved at an early age, that draws notice from the tennis establishment, so everyone is anticpating great things from him. But also because of his age, he isnt physically ready to play against full grown men. Kinda like football in a sense.

Also, 7 of those WCs were from last year. So he was only 15 when he started getting them. The WCs probably had alot to do with the USTA changing the rules to allow 'pros' to still compete in jr events.

VamosRafa
03-14-2006, 03:31 PM
I overheard Patrick McEnroe talking about this at Indian Wells. He was behind me doing an interview. Anyway, he thought the Henman/Young match was ridiculous, and said, in very emphatic terms, that something has to be done about these wildcards.

sunrise
03-14-2006, 03:53 PM

and what is the base for the above statement? just curious

tennispro2388
03-14-2006, 04:03 PM
I think if we look at Agassi's game in the 12's and 14's we can see the importance of having a weapon. When Agassi was young, he was banging all over the place, frequently spraying the ball all over the place. Everyone would say that Agassi missed too much and wouldn't even make it to the pros. Think about that: Agassi not even making it to the pros!

But now look at Agassi. He is still a pro at 36. Why? Because he still has a weapon - big returns, well-placed serve, and amazing timing.

Now look at Young. One can say that he is the exact opposite of this. Opposite type of game. Everyone says that Young will be amazing with all hype. The exact opposite could very well occur. If Young develops amazing speed, or an amazing forehand with foot speed combo like James Blake, then he can make it. Or Young can develop just speed and try to make it like another Coria, but that's an unpredictable type of game, which depends on your opponent, and you will have to work extremely hard every point. Depends which path Young decides to take, or which path his talent limits him to. Currenly, he doesn't have the big game that Federer showed in his match against Sampras, or Gasquet has shown in his youth. Only time will tell the decisions that Young takes about the development of his game.

Moose Malloy
03-15-2006, 08:56 AM
I overheard Patrick McEnroe talking about this at Indian Wells. He was behind me doing an interview. Anyway, he thought the Henman/Young match was ridiculous, and said, in very emphatic terms, that something has to be done about these wildcards.

I heard him say that Fish didn't get a WC in Miami so he has to qualify. Young got a WC there. There's something very wrong with that.

Rob_C
03-15-2006, 02:28 PM
I heard him say that Fish didn't get a WC in Miami so he has to qualify. Young got a WC there. There's something very wrong with that.

I don't have a problem with Fish not getting a main draw WC. He's gotten 5 main draw WCs so far this year, Delray, Memphis, San Jose, Vegas, & Indian Wells. And, the way he's playing, he should qualify.

Plus, DY might not get any more WCs till the US summer series, maybe. Probably the US Open, if he plays Kalamazoo and wins, which he should, if he plays it. I'd play it for the WC alone.

Moose Malloy
03-15-2006, 02:51 PM
I don't have a problem with Fish not getting a main draw WC. He's gotten 5 main draw WCs so far this year, Delray, Memphis, San Jose, Vegas, & Indian Wells. And, the way he's playing, he should qualify.

He's still playing better than Young, he is actually winning matches at these events, won 2 matches this week. Blake got a WC into Miami last year, certainly Fish is as worthy of one as James?

Plus, DY might not get any more WCs till the US summer series, maybe. Probably the US Open, if he plays Kalamazoo and wins, which he should, if he plays it. I'd play it for the WC alone.

Is Young still a junior? But he's playing pro events? Is he allowed to play Kalamazoo?

tykrum
03-15-2006, 03:32 PM

He actually said this on-air.

I'd agree, wildcards into the minors is just fine, but right now DY is just a sideshow at the ATP events, only used to generate interest. It's not good for his game, it reminds me of a Michelle Wie in golf, but without the transcendant skills that Wie possesses. There are so many examples of a player in any sport looking great against the inferior competition, but not making it in the big leagues for whatever reason. The Young's need to get the picture here and stop accepting WCs.

LN_Dad
03-15-2006, 05:26 PM
Is Young still a junior? But he's playing pro events? Is he allowed to play Kalamazoo?

Yeah, even if he's a pro he's allowed to play in junior events because he's still under 18. This is kinda messed up but a lot of the highly ranked international junior ITF players get sponsor deals so they're technically pros too.

Rob_C
03-16-2006, 01:10 AM
He's still playing better than Young, he is actually winning matches at these events, won 2 matches this week. Blake got a WC into Miami last year, certainly Fish is as worthy of one as James?

Fish is an established pro, been so for years. The only reason he needs WCs is because of his wrist injury which kept him a portion of last year. I didnt mean he was undeserving, just that he's gotten 5 so far this year, and the way he's playing, it's likely he'll qualify anyway, so it's just 2 extra matches for him to get to the main draw.

As for DY, WC into the qualies would probably be better, that might be the route Tournament directors take from now on. He almost qualified at the LA open 2 years ago.

stalliondan
03-16-2006, 08:55 AM
the guy can't even win first round matches at futures! He is *** and way overhyped.

VamosRafa
03-16-2006, 08:58 AM
He actually said this on-air.

I'd agree, wildcards into the minors is just fine, but right now DY is just a sideshow at the ATP events, only used to generate interest. It's not good for his game, it reminds me of a Michelle Wie in golf, but without the transcendant skills that Wie possesses. There are so many examples of a player in any sport looking great against the inferior competition, but not making it in the big leagues for whatever reason. The Young's need to get the picture here and stop accepting WCs.

Oh, good. I wasn't sure if Patrick would say it on-air, but he said he was going to make some calls and take some people "down" for this. I don't know if that was the off the record or not, but apparently he's gone on-record with it now. And then the guy with him said something like you may need him for Davis Cup sometime, and Patrick said that is possible but basically he needs more experience at the junior level.

tennisnj
03-16-2006, 09:34 AM
Let's look @ the ITF year end Junior #1s from 1994:

94: Federico Browne--Argentina (Never made it to tour level final) Last time a tour level match played 01. Highest rank #103, currently not on tour...

95: Mariano Zabaleta--Argentina (3x tour level champion) Currently #121, Highest #21

96: Sebastian Grosjean--France (Tennis Masters Cup participant, Davis Cup Champion, former #4)

97: Arnaud DiPasquale--France-- (Claim to fame?; possibly beating Federer for the Bronze Medal @ the 00 Olympics) Currently ranked #549---Highest #39 in 2000.

98: Federer--Enough said

99: Kristian Pless--Denmark (01 semifinalist in Chennai best result on main level tour)--Highest rank #65 in 2002---Currently ranked #152

00: Roddick--Enough said

01: Gilles Muller--Luxembourg (2 time finalist on ATP tour in the USA; beat Roddick 1st R of US Open 05) --Highest rank #59 in 2005---Currently ranked 69

02: Richard Gasquet--France (One of 4 players to beat Federer in 05) Highest rank--#12, currently #18

03: Marcos Baghdatis--Cyprus (06 Aussie Open finalist)

04: Gael Monfils--France (05 Sopot winner) Highest rank--#25, currently #29

05: Donald Young

So let the viewers decide. I still think it's too early to decide whether or not DY is going to be the next Federico Browne, Roger Federer or someone in between.

johnkidd
03-16-2006, 09:41 AM
Some people who post should really read their post's before they click the button. First off, Wild Cards are at the tournament director's disgression to give to whoever they want or feel is deserving. I assume most people would know this, but it seems like many do not from reading some of these posts. Former champions, name players who have dropped in the rankings, or up and coming players are usually the three groups you'll find getting them. I think Young qualifies as up and coming. No one complained when Wimbledon gave Ivanisivic a WC a few years ago....maybe it should have gone to someone "more deserving".

Secondly I read in a thread awhile back that the problem with the US is we have our top players play each other and they get hyped beating only US players, while other countries send their young players off to get pounded in pro events and learn how to win. Yet when there is a US example of this it's labled as the kid is "overhyped". I'm sure the same people would be trashing Young if he was only playing junior events and winning them saying he needs to get in the big leagues and play the big boys. You can't have it both ways.
I've never seen Young play. I hope this plan IMG and his parents are using for him works out. But some of the garbage that gets posted by people makes me wonder why they either aren't playing on the tour or at the very least coaching since they know so much.

Max G.
03-16-2006, 09:49 AM
Some people who post should really read their post's before they click the button. First off, Wild Cards are at the tournament directors disgression to give to whoever they want or feel is deserving. I assume most people would know this, but it seems like many do not from reading some of these posts. Former champions, name players who have dropped in the ranking, or up and coming players are usually the three groups. I think Young qualifies as up and coming. No one complained when Wimbledon gave Ivanisivic a WC a few years ago....maybe it should have gone to someone "more deserving".

Secondly I read in a thread awhile back that the problem with the US is we have our top players play each other and they get hyped beating only US players, while other countries send their young players off to get pounded in pro events and learn how to win. Yet when there is a US example of this it's labled as the kid is "overhyped". I'm sure the same people would be trashing Young if he was only playing junior events and winning them saying he needs to get in the big leagues and play the big boys. You can't have it both ways.
I've never seen Young play. I hoped this plan works out for him. But some of the garbage that gets posted by people makes me wonder why they either aren't playing on the tour or at the very least coaching since they know so much.

What we're complaining about is that he's kept getting wildcards over and over, when he's clearly not ready for pro tennis at this level. An occasional wildcard is okay, wildcards into qualies or challengers would be good - but currently his record on the ATP tour is 0-8, and he hasn't even won a set. Enough is enough - wait until he's actually READY for this competition. Right now it's pretty clear he's not, and in my opinion wildcards should go to someone who has a chance of actually winning matches.

If he was still playing the juniors we would, indeed, probably be complaining about - he's too good for the juniors. He's also not good enough for the Masters Series events.

There's a good niche for those type of players - futures and challengers. And he's starting to play futures, doing okay. Hasn't played any challengers yet, don't think.

Moose Malloy
03-16-2006, 09:54 AM
There's a good niche for those type of players - futures and challengers. And he's starting to play futures, doing okay. Hasn't played any challengers yet, don't think.

He's 0-2 in challenger play.

tennisnj,
thanks for that list. I bet my house that none of those guys got 8 wildcards to begin their career. Looked up Gasquet- he got a wildcard in Monte Carlo '02(at the age of 15!) & actually won a match. The rest of the year he was winning challengers & futures, with an occasional WC. He proved worthy of WCs. Young has not.

tennisnj
03-16-2006, 09:56 AM
Moose this is where I got my information from: http://www.itftennis.com/juniors/history/juniorworldchamps/index.asp

johnkidd
03-16-2006, 10:17 AM
Max G. , you made my point sort of. He probably should not get the direct WC into the main events. The qualifiers would probably be more fair. But in the case of Miami and Young getting a WC and Fish didn't....send an e-mail to the tournament director. But don't fault Young because we'd all do the same thing if given the chance.
I also find this frustrating because a woman I used to work with has a nephew playing on the tour. Currently he's ranked just inside the 300's and has a 2-2 record on the main tour. It would be nice to see him get a few WC's but he never will.

alfa164164
03-16-2006, 10:18 AM
This thread should be retitled "What is the FUTURES (and Challengers) prospects for Donald Young?"
He should be fairly competitive at that level!

Tchocky
03-16-2006, 10:30 AM
I hope he goes to college. I hate when talented black athletes forego college for the pros. This sets a bad example for everyone who is dreaming of becoming a professional. America needs some talented Americans who can contend for the majors otherwise tennis in America will be more in the decline in this country than it already is. It would a mistake for the Donald to try to make it in the pros. The guy is just a kid...he's still growing.

Rob_C
03-16-2006, 11:39 AM
I hope he goes to college. I hate when talented black athletes forego college for the pros. This sets a bad example for everyone who is dreaming of becoming a professional. America needs some talented Americans who can contend for the majors otherwise tennis in America will be more in the decline in this country than it already is. It would a mistake for the Donald to try to make it in the pros. The guy is just a kid...he's still growing.
Well, he can't play college tennis, if that's what you're referring to. He can always attend college and earn a degree. He's a pro, has endorsement contracts, has accepted prize money. His family said it was the only way they could afford all of the travel expenses, etc. It would be way too much for them to pay back for him to regain his eligibilty, not that I think it would be worth it. He's better off as a pro. If managed correctly, he should be set for life. Plus, he'll only get better and win more the older he gets. Which equals more money.