PDA

View Full Version : Most nerve wrecking match ever!

djones
02-15-2006, 04:29 AM
What's in your opinion the most nerve wrecking match you've ever seen?

My vote goes to:

Agassi - Blake US open 2005.

The match started real late, like 2 O'clock in the morning here in Europe.
I went to see the first set which Agassi lost, and a few games in the 2nd set before I went to bed:-(
Like 3 hours later I got up and turned on my TV.
The score was 1-1 in the 5th set and I watched rest of it.
Blake broke, leading 5-3 and 15-00, I turned off my TV, that scared I was:-)

10 minutes later I turned it back on again, and I couldn't believe that Agassi broke back!!!!

At 5-4 in the tiebreak when Agassi hit this massive return on Blake's second serve, my leg was shaking, I couldn't control it anymore that nervous I was.
And finnaly Agassi won the match, just in time so I could catch my train to work:-)

This was probably the biggest relieve I have ever experienced after watching a Tennis match!

BiGGieStuFF
02-15-2006, 05:10 AM
That was a great match. Not the best match I've seen but definitely the most exciting due to the fact EVERYONE at the local sports bar was watching it. I have never seen a sports bar where the main event was Tennis and everyone was ooo'ing and aaah'ing to every point. I felt like I was at a boxing match or basketball game.

slice bh compliment
02-15-2006, 06:59 AM
For me, it's 2 Wimbledon finals.
1980: Borg over Mac. The Battle of 18-16.
2001: Goran over Rafter in five.
Also the 84 US Open semi. Late night. 7-5 in the fifth: Mac over Connors.
Yannick Noah's briliant '83 RG final: it was straight sets, but I couldn't help but think Wilander would turn it into a battle of attrition.
My wife rolls her eyes and nominates last year's Oz Open semi between Safin and RF (we howled and hooted through the fifth set on AO Radio).

Richie Rich
02-15-2006, 07:57 AM
how about the Sampras Corretja 5 set marathon with 5th set tie break puke fest thrown in?

slice bh compliment
02-15-2006, 07:58 AM
how about the Sampras Corretja 5 set marathon with 5th set tie break puke fest thrown in?

Great one.

Oh, and there was a weekend between the US and GBR. A couple of gray hairs right here (points to temples) courtesy of Rusedski, Henman and American Davis Cup Hero, Jim Courier.

Mr.Groundstroke
02-15-2006, 07:59 AM
Federer - Safin TMC Houston the nerve-wrecking tiebreak 18-16!!
Awsome match!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grigollif1
02-15-2006, 07:59 AM
In my view is that infamous match between Safin and Federer that featured that Tie Breaker in the Tennis MC of 2004. One thing is to be able to Go on with games for a long time like RODDICK x El Aynaoui, Younes did in 2003 Aus open , another is to be able to keep going in a tie breaker system. It just shows how closed they were in that Match...

Grigollif1
02-15-2006, 08:02 AM

he...You beat me to it...

avmoghe
02-15-2006, 08:06 AM
Rafter vs. Ivanisevic Wimbledon 2001 final.

I was on the edge of my seat during that whole fifth set.

legolas
02-15-2006, 11:55 AM
safin vs fed
nalby vs fed

Chadwixx
02-15-2006, 11:57 AM

The lack of rule enforcement in that match drops it down for me.

Goran vs rafter did it for me.

vkartikv
02-15-2006, 12:04 PM
1995 Sampras-Courier was full of good points and the match swaying both ways plenty of times.

1992 Agassi-Ivanisevic was thrilling too though I would have liked the results reversed.

2001 Rafter-Ivanisevic was probably the best.

Moose Malloy
02-15-2006, 12:05 PM
The lack of rule enforcement in that match drops it down for me

What are you referring to? Sampras only got sick near the end of the match & was getting the ball in play in a timely manner. When he started vomiting, the umpire actually gave him a time violation(& the crowd booed)
He was still playing at a faster pace than Lendl ever did.

To the OP, I agree. But mainly because I had money on Agassi. I love tennis, but find it odd how passionate fans are for their favorites. I understand that passion more in team sports. They may represent your home town. Tennis players aren't representing anyone but themsleves. It makes no difference to me when they win or lose. Unless I have money on them.

Fedubai
02-15-2006, 12:17 PM
The most nerve-racking I've seen as it happened on tv, was Federer vs. Nadal, Miami final, probably tied with Federer vs. Nadal French Open.

The most nerve wracking I've kept track of on the internet was Federer vs. Safin 2nd set MC semifinal, and Federer vs. Safin AO semifinal 5th set. That tiebreak at MC was insane.

Freedom
02-15-2006, 12:24 PM
I dunno about most nerve wracking, but I do know the least nerve wracking:

*drum roll*

Federer d. Hewitt 6-0, 7-6, 6-0 US Open Final, 2004

serveBig
02-15-2006, 01:24 PM
i like philippoussis, so here are 2 of the most nerve wracking matches...although the way he plays and goes for 2nd serves, its always nerve wracking

davis cup final 2003 Mark philippoussis vs Ferrero... thats match was really exciting, especially the 5th because mark had done his shoulder and looked done like a dinner, but somehow played his best tennis.

Also flip vs popp 5th set wimbledon 03' qtr final, it was stopped due to rain, and when it commenced the next day both were playing unbelieveable from the first ball... will never forget the dive volley mark did to save break point.

other players i would say safin vs fed aus open semi final!

legolas
02-15-2006, 05:59 PM
I dunno about most nerve wracking, but I do know the least nerve wracking:

*drum roll*

Federer d. Hewitt 6-0, 7-6, 6-0 US Open Final, 2004
lol

ta11geese3
02-15-2006, 06:11 PM

Wasn't it 20-18? It wasn't that nervewracking unless you were rooting for safin cause fed was up a set.

Australian Open semis with fed and safin, on the other hand... my nails were pretty ugly after that night...

breakfast_of_champions
02-15-2006, 06:18 PM
probably any number of womens matches, particularly davenport in the later rounds of the slam finals or dementieva.

quest01
02-15-2006, 06:44 PM
The 1999 Wimbledon Final between Agassi and Sampras. That was a great final. Sampras won in straight sets but there was phenomenal tennis from both men.

splink779
02-15-2006, 07:07 PM
I thought the Rome 2005 final was pretty nerve wrecking. Looked like Nadal was out of gas in the 5th, comes back to push a 5+ hour match into a tie breaker, where Coria saves several match points before losing 6-8? Craziness!

mislav
02-15-2006, 08:27 PM
Most nerve wrecking match ever for me was this:

Roland Garros, 1984, finals: Lendl-McEnroe 3-6, 2-6, 6-4, 7-5, 7-5

This is from BBC site:
Those critics who felt John McEnroe was his own worst enemy had a field day during this match.

McEnroe had blazed his way through the tournament by swearing, arguing, driving balls at the photographers' pit, claiming he was on a "Haagen-Dazs" diet and requesting on-court repairs mid-match.

Brilliantly, he took a two-sets-to-love lead against Lendl in the final, but then indulged his temper once too often.

At 1-1 in the third, McEnroe objected to a cameraman's headset that was emitting the director's instructions and cast it aside.

Lendl held serve and then saved three break points later in the third set when McEnroe berated photographers.

McEnroe, who succumbed 5-7 in the fifth to Lendl, would never win the French Open, and he never had a better chance than that year.

He led Lendl two sets to love. He led 2-0 in the third set. He led 4-2 in the fourth set and was serving 40:30.

Also, you have to take into consideration that McEnroe won 13 tournaments in 1984 out of 15 played that year. He also played 8 Davis Cup matches and 40 doubles matches and won 8 titles. That's an impressive season!

joesixtoe
02-15-2006, 09:25 PM
What's in your opinion the most nerve wrecking match you've ever seen?

My vote goes to:

Agassi - Blake US open 2005.

The match started real late, like 2 O'clock in the morning here in Europe.
I went to see the first set which Agassi lost, and a few games in the 2nd set before I went to bed:-(
Like 3 hours later I got up and turned on my TV.
The score was 1-1 in the 5th set and I watched rest of it.
Blake broke, leading 5-3 and 15-00, I turned off my TV, that scared I was:-)

10 minutes later I turned it back on again, and I couldn't believe that Agassi broke back!!!!

At 5-4 in the tiebreak when Agassi hit this massive return on Blake's second serve, my leg was shaking, I couldn't control it anymore that nervous I was.
And finnaly Agassi won the match, just in time so I could catch my train to work:-)

This was probably the biggest relieve I have ever experienced after watching a Tennis match!

dang i understand everything u said,, except i didnt turn it off.. i walked away on big points,, i sounded like a little kid rooting for his fav player to win,, screaming, plunging to the ground, jumping, and whatever else,, it was fun

rfprse
02-15-2006, 09:54 PM
'80 wimbledon McEnroe vs Borg
'84 french McEnroe vs Lendl
'01 wmbledon Rafter vs Ivanisevic
'05 australian Federer vs Safin

tykrum
02-15-2006, 09:57 PM
Well my favorite player is Roddick, so I get the most worked up over his matches. The most nervous I've ever been was tied with two of his matches in 05 (I sort of knew the result of the Aussie 03 Qtr. before I watched it - and not live so that doesn't help either). Those matches were RG v. Acasuso and Wimby v. Choppin Broccoli. They were just terrible matches for me to watch. Ugly stuff.

The most excited I've ever been watching a match is also tied: 01 Wimbledon Rafter/Ivanisevic, and 05 US Agassi/Blake. The 01 Final was so great because of the emotional ties to both players, you wanted both to win and knew it was both of their final shots at it. Blake/Agassi was great because I got a little theater for watching the match with about 20 friends, and we basically were screaming at the top of our lungs after every point. Fun times.

westside
02-15-2006, 10:56 PM
From an aussie point of view (me)

Hewitt vs Naldal 2005 Australian Open.
Hewitt vs Nalbandian 2005 Australian open.
Hewitt vs Vik 2006 Australian open.

Buzzlightyear
02-16-2006, 12:08 AM
'01 wimbledon Rafter vs Ivanisevic

Because I was (probably everyone except Aussies...) rooting so strongly for Ivanisevic for that match. Given his track record, you could feel he was so close to nervous breakdown and throw the match away. If it was not an unforce error from Rafter, I didn't think he was capable to finish off the match.

superman1
02-16-2006, 12:16 AM
Agassi/Blake easily. It was almost surreal because it was going so fast and you didn't know who would win until the very last point.

djones
02-16-2006, 01:24 AM
Agassi - Martin, 2000 Wimbledon, Agassi 10-8 in fifth set, saving 2 matchpoints.

Krajicek - Ivanisevic, wimbledon 1998 13-15!!!!!!!!!!!

rounick
02-16-2006, 02:45 PM
How about 1999 RG Final?Agassi-Medvedev 3-2 from 0-2 down...

rounick
02-16-2006, 02:47 PM
Or even 2004 RG Final,if you were for Coria....

jamumafa
02-16-2006, 05:24 PM
Rafa - Coria 2005 Rome

rilokiley
02-16-2006, 06:07 PM
Recent matches -

http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/2945/victory8wn.jpg
2005 US Open QF Agassi - Blake
I got teary eyed at the end of the match.:D

2004 Australian Open SF Agassi - Safin

okdude1992
02-16-2006, 06:14 PM
roddick vs. el aynaoui (by a long shot the best match) it wasn't so nailbiting though-it was such a relaxed match...it was like neither player felt pressure or tension....

safin vs. fed (most surprising great match)...excellent shotmaking in this one.. i was on the edge of my seat untill the end of this thrilla'

blake vs. agassi (craziest rollercoaster match ive ever seen)
so many twists and turns...the only bummer was that at several points when blake could have closed it out, he got tight and some ugly shotmaking set in...

nalbandian vs. fed. (least expected)
this was a shocker...pretty high quality tennis all the way through all though it is obvious that fed. wasnt at 100%...

Freedom
02-16-2006, 06:15 PM
Recent matches -

http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/2945/victory8wn.jpg

Doesn't Gil Reyes bench like 600 pounds?

splink779
02-16-2006, 06:16 PM
Ah, heres one people may have forgotten, or probably just missed it. The 2002 Masters Cup Final between Hewitt and Ferrero. Hewitt cruised to a 2 set lead, then Ferrero fought back and Hewitt totally ran out of gas. It was a miracle he pulled it out in the fifth. That was a very tense 5th set.

okdude1992
02-16-2006, 06:16 PM
coria vs. nadal too (i almost forgot this marahon match)
wow 5 hrs 14 min. of nailbiting tennis...
this was about as suspensful as it gets...a lot of double faults from coria though

kosmikgroove
02-16-2006, 06:50 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned:
Henin-Hardenne vs. Capriati - US Open 2003 Semis.

That match still gives me chills. 11 times being 2 points away from defeat. Capriati had a 6-4, 5-3 lead as well as a 6-4, 5-7, 5-2 lead before losing it 6-4, 5-7, 6-7 (4).

Shaolin
02-16-2006, 07:05 PM
This years Fed vs Davydenko match at the AO really stressed me out. Fed was playing tentative and Davy was playing great. But then in the 3rd Fed stepped it up as usual, but not before my fingernails were pretty much gone.

Greengrass
02-17-2006, 04:31 PM
This years Fed vs Davydenko match at the AO really stressed me out. Fed was playing tentative and Davy was playing great. But then in the 3rd Fed stepped it up as usual, but not before my fingernails were pretty much gone.

I taped this match as it was on at a time when I left for the office - and had to watch some of it twice to make sure it was really Roger Federer who was playing in that match! The commentator thought perhaps an alien had got into his bedroom the night before and rewired his brain! Btw, hi everyone - my 1st post here. I only listened on radio to the Fed v Safin AO semi - that was enough to almost give me heart failure but have managed to get a DVD of it which I haven't yet watched but from what I've read, the tennis was of a v high quality.