PDA

View Full Version : Observation at a College match

Mark55
02-29-2004, 07:03 AM
I was at a match between Clemson and South Alabama yesterday and I noticed that most of the players play with Babolats. On the five singles courts that I saw 6 out of 10 were using Babolats and 5 of them were using a Pure Drive. I did not think very few or if any college players used paintjobs, so why are so many of them playing with a Pure Drive, do they customize and add a lot of weight to the racquet?

aceindahole2K5
02-29-2004, 08:29 AM
babolats are running rampant in the college ranks, its a fact of life

James Brown
02-29-2004, 11:26 AM
its a lameass racquet for people who cant play with anything else. I just dislike it very much. Not only is it ugly but it demonstrates a lack of talent.

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
02-29-2004, 01:19 PM
I'm wondering how college players can hit with a Pure Drive and still win. That ball just blasts for me, and I've got a western too so I should be able to combat it with the spin. If I were a big college player, I'd want a 17-21 mm racquet at biggest, like my 6.1 classic or a POG mid.

nyu
02-29-2004, 03:30 PM
I was recently at a match between George Washington and Rutgers(a friend of mine plays for G dub) and I noticed the exact same thing. What was apparent from watching those players(as well as testing the PD myself last year) is that the babolat has the uncanny ability to keep the ball on the court as long as you keep ripping the ball. Once you get tentative, however, the balls sail long.
The racquet is very springy, and doesn't have the 'classic' feel of a 6.1 or the like, but it does get the job done, espcially for players who hit heavy topspin.

Personally, I use the HPS 6.1 because of its weight and feel.(it feels so sweet when you make good contact) Problem is, it's a very stiff racquet(by modern racquet standards) and isn't very nice on off-center shots. My shoulder is also a constant problem, so I may have to playtest the PD to see if that could alleviate some of the pain.

Overall, it's a very good college player racquet because their mechanics are so sound that they can control the little bit of extra bite that the PD provides.

ucd_ace
02-29-2004, 04:28 PM
its a lameass racquet for people who cant play with anything else. I just dislike it very much. Not only is it ugly but it demonstrates a lack of talent.

It's nice for someone to post something with such a low level of intelligence just to mix things up every once and a while. If these guys "lack talent," are you saying you have talent? People use the racquet that works best for them; you think that if you got to a certain level of talent that you have to start changing your racquet to compensate for this? Well, if this is the case, I think you're an idiot.

Morpheus
02-29-2004, 06:49 PM
UCD: Don't sugarcoat it, tell us what you really think.

Momo
02-29-2004, 06:54 PM
I saw Georgia Tech play Emory (men) and yes there were Babolats a-plenty. The Emory team also all had matching polos, shorts, and squeaky new white/navy Barricade III's. They looked real cute, but that's beside the point. Anyways, I guess the PD's popular because it seems to fit the prevalent playing style of college tennis. All of the matches were baseline bashing from side to side. No variation in pace or depth... kinda like a game of Pong. It seemed to follow these rules without fail.

1. Always hit the ball hard and deep with topspin.
2. Try to aim the ball away from either the opponent or where the opponent is moving to.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until:
a. one of the players hits it into the net
b. one of the players hits it out (most likely scenario)
c. one of the players fails to reach the ball struck by the opponent.

Considering this type of play, I don't see why the PD wouldn't be a popular choice as a tool for these means. GT won by the way :)

@wright
02-29-2004, 07:03 PM
I think the Babolat epidemic on the pro and college levels has nothing to due with playing characteristics, but owes everything to the courting of these players by babolat as sponsors. They get you young and give the stuff away, and in the end they sell more bats because people here obviously pay attention to what these sponsored players are using.

aceindahole2K5
02-29-2004, 08:00 PM
awright you make a good point, but......thats not always the case, i live by and have some friends that play for one of the top D3 schools in the country, and over the past year, 8 guys on that team have switched to the PD or PD+, without any sponsorship whatsoever, simply because they love the extra punch, and how it can make a good server into an incredible server

Matt H.
02-29-2004, 08:05 PM
As mentioned, Babolat is running ramped in the colleges and they are a great sponsor, that's the reason.

I go to Florida State University, and babolat definitely has it's grip on our school. The #1 and #4 players use the Pure Drive, and the #2, #6, and the coaches use the Pure Control.

The prices are awesome too, from what i know since i'm friends with some of them. For like 350 bucks, they get the team pack which consists of 3 raquets, 6 packs of babolat string of their choice (anything BESIDES natural gut ;), a shirt, hat, and a bag.

Replacement racquets are also 100 bucks.

On friday's match against University of Michigan, i believe i counted 7 or 8 babolat racquets out on the courts.

Matt H.
02-29-2004, 08:08 PM
i also agree with above mentioning of the typical college playing style. It's baseline bashing all the way.

funny though, cuz in the doubles matches it's all net game, and these guys have good volleys.....so it's weird not to see them come to net during singles. I'd say they typically rush the net 4-5 times over a best of 3 sets match.

tennis-n-sc
03-01-2004, 03:39 AM
Yep, a very large number of the male players in Div. I and II in the south use Babs. Not true of the women. For the most part, these are very talented players. Some are VERY talented. Babolat does have a college promotion program, the only one I have seen, actually, although others may be out there. And it is rare to see serve and vollyers in the colege ranks, about as rare as in the pros. The college game mirrors the pro game, just as the juniors are greatly influenced by the pros and all the advertising. They are a big part of the targeted audience of the advertising. All the singles players in college play doubles and they don't change rackets so they must like something about the racket. And cute as it may seem, college teams wear matching uniforms because it is a team sport and they are representing their school who is paying for their educatin. I am see nothing wrong with any thing in the college program except that most matches are played at times when I can't get there.

James Brown
03-01-2004, 03:40 AM
udc, i realize that the way my post was structured might have lead you to judge it in a certain light. I only meant that the racquet is overtly powerful and that i makes for a boring game. and that i dont find it entertaining or skillful to see guys blast boring juiced up groundstrokes and serves without having to move their butts. Sampras had a huge forehand, he used an underpowered pro staff. These kids have huge forehands and they dont have to do much thanks to babolats. My response was hasty due to the fact the word babolat kinda makes me jumpy. My apologies :>

Matt H.
03-01-2004, 05:31 AM
not saying that the prostaff is in the same catagory as the pure drive (can't say "babolat" cuz the Pure Control isn't overtly powerful), but Pete used the prostaff made from "st. vincent" which was stiffer and most powerful among the prostaffs....he's also using Babolat VS gut, and the racquet is weighted so much that just making contact would bring the ball back with some heat.

Also, all the guys at my school's team are using babolat polymono and super fine play hybrids.

polakosaur
03-01-2004, 10:29 AM
the babolat racquets are good but i just think they're popular when roddick came out playing with that baby blue colored racquet everyone wanted to play with it and rip shots, i even demoed it to see how it played, i think roddick and alot of tour players influence these kids

nyu
03-01-2004, 04:40 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree with you James Brown. I believe the college players of today probably more athletic than in the past. I've been going to college matches the past few years, and even in that short time I've seen the players improve as a whole. Yes, the bash the cr@p out of the ball, but they also get into 10-15 shot rallies often in which they're running from one side of the court to the other: all of this over a 2 hour span.

No, there isn't as much touch in the past, but as a newer generation player, it puts me to sleep to see the "classic" matches on TV. Tha ball is moving too slow for my taste, and as athletic as the pros once were, i believe the pros of today are moreso.

NoBadMojo
03-01-2004, 05:24 PM
without question todays athletes are better in all sports than even a few years ago. bigger, stronger, faster, bettertrained, better equipment. that is not denyable i dont think. what i would like to see is a way to get better balance and all court play back into the game. the balls did move alot more slowly back then, but there was alot more variety in shots..it just wasnt touch IMO. Ed

cenzo
03-02-2004, 02:27 PM
momo - are you a Tech student? Tech rocks. Of course I think that because I'm an alumnus.

a_2c+
11-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Baseline bash is the name of the game here in UCSB.

Though, about half the team use Wilson's. . . .

Bud
11-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Baseline bash is the name of the game here in UCSB.

Though, about half the team use Wilson's. . . .

Way to resurrect a 7 yo thread! :-D

a_2c+
11-23-2010, 02:26 PM
Way to resurrect a 7 yo thread! :-D

:-D:-D

yay.

NickC
11-23-2010, 04:02 PM
:-D:-D

yay.

Not yay.

http://www.contractortalk.com/attachments/f16/22142d1250251071-sub-contractor-lower-insurance-than-me-old_thread.jpg

And it should be noted that most of the kids on the Varsity team here at U of A use Pure Drives.

a_2c+
11-23-2010, 04:33 PM
^ew thats ghastly. .__.

slice it
11-23-2010, 07:04 PM
I saw Georgia Tech play Emory (men) and yes there were Babolats a-plenty. The Emory team also all had matching polos, shorts, and squeaky new white/navy Barricade III's. They looked real cute, but that's beside the point. Anyways, I guess the PD's popular because it seems to fit the prevalent playing style of college tennis. All of the matches were baseline bashing from side to side. No variation in pace or depth... kinda like a game of Pong. It seemed to follow these rules without fail.

1. Always hit the ball hard and deep with topspin.
2. Try to aim the ball away from either the opponent or where the opponent is moving to.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until:
a. one of the players hits it into the net
b. one of the players hits it out (most likely scenario)
c. one of the players fails to reach the ball struck by the opponent.

Considering this type of play, I don't see why the PD wouldn't be a popular choice as a tool for these means. GT won by the way :)

They are all trying to copy the Dillon Pottish method....Its worked for him so far, right?