PDA

View Full Version : Do You Take A Lighter Racket With You If You Use A Heavy One

Feņa14
06-13-2004, 12:35 PM
Do people who use a heavy players racket like a POG or Prestige, take a lighter racket like a PD incase your match goes on for a long time?

I find that if I play a 5 set match my arm naturally gets tired, I think I could benefit from having a lighter racket for these moments.

So what you recomendations be? Maybe a Babolat PD or PC or a Wilson Surge 5.1?

Thanks,

-Liam

TwistServe
06-13-2004, 12:38 PM
Nope I just bring my 2 Prestiges with me to matches.. One is backup one is main.

Coda
06-13-2004, 12:56 PM
same as gorth except with tour 90's.

Shane Reynolds
06-13-2004, 01:00 PM
I do. I try to find something with similar characteristics but in a lighter package. Right now I have Pro No. 1's and Pro No. 1 FT's; they share a few traits but are truly different racquets. I have considered a switch to the Diablo; if I do that, I might add weight to one and leave the other stock.

gmlasam
06-13-2004, 02:07 PM
Do people who use a heavy players racket like a POG or Prestige, take a lighter racket like a PD incase your match goes on for a long time?

I find that if I play a 5 set match my arm naturally gets tired, I think I could benefit from having a lighter racket for these moments.

So what you recomendations be? Maybe a Babolat PD or PC or a Wilson Surge 5.1?

Thanks,

-LiamNope!! I take 3 frames of the same one when I go play. I have been using my POG mid plus for years now. I believe if you fatigue during long matches, your not fit. I also believe if your arms get too tired, then you need to work out your arms and overall body with weights and cardio.

bsandy
06-13-2004, 02:10 PM
I tried weighting a racquet a little lighter for later in matches, bit my timing was off, especially on my volleys.

I elected for a softer, more powerful on slower swings, racquet as my backup.

. . . Bud

Kirko
06-13-2004, 07:14 PM
gmlasam is on target ! I use a racket that weighs 12.8 oz. I've been playing sporadically lately ; played hit for 4hr. yesterday . My arm was like a noodle @ the end . use weights or play 7 use the practice wall. It would be disrupttive & embarassing to pull out racket not use to .

perfmode
06-13-2004, 08:43 PM
You need to do some high rep weight lifting to improve your muscle stamina.

dennis1188
06-13-2004, 09:54 PM
I recall a 'inside tennis' article reported that the new #1 norcal level 5.0 player, last year last year changed to a lighter racket in the last set of his tournaments .He mentioned that the previous year he noticed his racket was too heavy near the end of his matches and his 'arm tired'.

Phil
06-14-2004, 02:27 AM
Nope I just bring my 2 Prestiges with me to matches.. One is backup one is main.

So, I GUESS that would make the racquet you begin the match with your "main" and the second racquet is probably the "backup", right?

tarheelbornjohn
06-14-2004, 06:37 AM
I do not. I think if you get too tired playing into the third set with your stick, you need to start with the lighter racquet until you get your arm strength back. In the tourney I played in this past weekend, I had a match friday night, one at 8 on sat, doubles match at 11am, then singles at 1:30pm, came back and played sunday at 9:30. While I lost in the finals on sunday, it was not due to arm fatigue. I find that I get more consistent the more I play with a heavy stick. And by the way, I use Lux ALU and never felt any arm pain, just leg pain. Can stiff strings make your achilles hurt? :)

PHSTennis
06-14-2004, 07:25 AM
I carry 2 Hammer 5.2 MP me with, 2 more are coming :) I have a Triad T5 in the bag, a very newbish racquet, it does lots of damage and is light... I only use it playing doubles... Its OS... anyone wanna trade for a mp?

Feņa14
06-14-2004, 12:27 PM
But a lot of my tourneys are best of 5 sets, well the ones at my club are.

I can play 3 and 4 sets with very little fatigue, but if it goes to the 5th set my arm does get very tired, Which I feel is natural, and thats why I think I might need a lighter racket for these rare times.

-Liam

NoBadMojo
06-14-2004, 12:55 PM
dont you think your legs get tired too at this point? try switching to lighter legs? ;) ed

drakulie
06-14-2004, 01:17 PM
No way. I have three PS 85 originals without the bumper guard. They are all identical in swingweight, balance, and stiffness.The only difference is the tension on the strings. I also always have one strung with 18 gauge rather than my customary 16 gauge.

Dranguyengon
06-14-2004, 02:04 PM
You shouldn't do that. What you should do is have them the same wight but have the 5th set racquet as more powerful. You'll swing slower but you'll still have the power due to the racquet.

Shane Reynolds
06-14-2004, 08:21 PM
What a bunch of sticks in the mud! The man is asking a racquet question and some people like to jump out and say he's not fit. It's none of your business if he's fit. I'm not fit. For most of us, this is just a game, and we like to talk about racquets. If you want to talk about how fit you are, take it to the fitness board and brag away.

ssjkyle31
06-17-2004, 05:50 PM
I actually bring two volkl tour 10 MP and two I radicals MP. I have yet to switch from heavy to light and vice verse during a important tournament especially near the end. But I do like having the choice before a match. I have heard of people having different string tension and string type on the racket.

I would think some of the players may even have different weighted rackets of the same type. Does anyone do that?

NoBadMojo
06-17-2004, 06:02 PM
wow..i'm not that good i guess. i have all mine feeling the same weight and balance. it took me months to dial in all the shots i posess w. these things and i dont want to try and switch to anything that feels even close to different. especially near the end of a match when it is even more critical to be confident in your gear and to know what to expect. my .02. ed

Ronaldo
06-17-2004, 06:18 PM
Shane, back in the day I carried a PK Black Ace Tour just to keep the ball deep. Now that I qualify for ESPN Classic I use a granny stick.

exigentsky
07-29-2004, 10:36 AM
Psst... I can't afford 2 rackets!

jayserinos99
07-29-2004, 11:39 AM
I carry at least 3 T10 MPs with me. I'm like Ed in that I can't get used to anything else in such a short time since it took me a while to get used to a particular setup. I've done this with all of my other racquets as well (PSC, iPrestige).

Jeffrey Wang
07-29-2004, 01:30 PM
I don't recommend on lighter racquet but do suggest to have the 3rd one to be strung 3-4 lb lower for power. My point is this: when you are in the 5th set, and you sense your arm strength dropped. Then you switch to this looser racquet, concentrate on your feet. With shorter swing, this looser string packet and return more than your higher tension one to compensate the reduced swing. The lost control on tension will be made up by shorter swing too. In theory and strategy-wise, you need to focus on placement and depth when in the decision set instead of cracking winner on every ball. Remeber your opponent must be tired too. Control the point will put him in defensive position and force him to come up big point by carefully planned your shot is the right play. This is absolutely true against hard hitter. his shot no longer as fierce as the previous sets, and it's a good time to manuver him and put him in defensive position which he is not used to nor prefer.

Goran
07-29-2004, 02:03 PM
I keep a Prostaff Zone in my bag for just such an occasion. Very light and easy to hit spin with (open pattern) while still keeping decent control. The only problem is that my serves never seem to go in with it :/

speedofpain88
07-30-2004, 09:36 PM
I don't. 5 identical n90 rackets.

dantyem108
07-30-2004, 10:43 PM
can u buy me one??

Flatspin
07-31-2004, 03:01 AM
Two frames set up identical. Now surprises!! Some playing time on both so they are settled in! Like Ed ..... it's taking me months and effort to get them right for me!!! For me .... consistency equals reliability! I slightly increase tension in the hot summer months. Same string always! :lol: But ..... that's my way!

Feņa14
07-31-2004, 05:41 AM
Actually I am very fit, I am a counter-puncher who never makes a mistake and my points often last 10-15 strokes and over 5 sets that can get a bit much for the arm which I think is natural.

I think I might just go for the stringing of the racket a bit looser.

BTW thanks for all the replies!

-Liam

bob
07-31-2004, 06:56 AM
My main stick is a POG OS strung with Gosen micro sheep at 60. Recently I started using a Prince NXG OS strung with the same string at 58 lbs.

I play the first set with the POG and then switch to the NXG. A couple of points:

-I'm around a 4.5 baseliner, but I try to come in on all short shots. I'm 57 but in real good shape. I do around 500 pushps a week so my arms are in pretty decent shape.

-The POG is more foregiving than the NXG. So by playing the first set with the POG I get the kinks out of my swing before switching to the NXG.

I think late in a match three thigs happen to "slow" the ball down:

1. You start hitting the ball less hard due to fatigue. The main problem might be that you don't prepare as well with your legs for the swing (rather than your arm gets tired).

2. Whoever you are playing is not hitting the ball as hard as they did in the first set so you have to supply more pace.

3. The balls get a little frayed and might lose some bounce and they lose a little of their visibility at night.

When I switch to the NXG:

My volleys are a lot more penetrating and my overhead is a lot better. One of the most depressing things fo me in a long match is to play a tough point and then not be able to put the volley or overhead away. Late in a match I have to be very precise to hit a winning volley or overhead with the POG. With the NXG I can hit very aggressive volleys and overheads with decent preparation.

I can hit a lot crisper groundies particularly from behind the baseline with the NXG.

So, IMHO there is a lot of benefit to carrying a "lighter" stick. In my case the NXG might only be a few grams lighter, but has a lot more "pop".

speedofpain88
07-31-2004, 01:56 PM
can u buy me one??

Not a bad idea dantyem, but I'm saving up to buy 2 unused St. Vincent PS 85's from one of my uncles.

dantyem108
07-31-2004, 02:12 PM
I see how it is :cry: :(