PDA

View Full Version : De-warping a wood racquet?

GS
06-13-2004, 11:38 AM
I've got a beautiful, old Wright+Ditson woodie with a slightly warped head. I've heard that it's possible to dunk the head in water, let it soak, bolt on a racquet press, and let the head dry completely. Any idea on how long to let it soak and how long to dry? Hot water or cold? A day to soak and a week to dry? Thanks in advance.

joe sch
06-13-2004, 06:39 PM
Dont think this will improve the condition but will rather damage the racket further. The head presses do not prevent warping or corrrect warped rackets, they only scuff up the racket at the contact points :( If you do try this dewarping procedure please post your results

GS
06-15-2004, 02:01 PM
Well, it worked. I can't tell if the head has been corrected 100%, but it looks alot better than before. The downside is that the water wrecked the racquet's old finish and logo, so now I'm going to sand the whole thing down and re-finish it. (This model doesn't fetch much on ****, anyway.) Only by stringing it up will I know if the water damaged the head's strength. (I had the head dunked in a bucket of water for a few hours, then let dry for 2 days, with the press on the whole time.)

joe sch
06-15-2004, 06:34 PM
Congrats on the short term correction. Hope it lasts, I suspect it may warp again now and may not have the same stiffness. I knew the finish and decals would be ruined and I would suggest a light sanding then varnishing or clear coating, which will protect the finish and help weather protect the wood to hopefully prevent future warpage. Thanks for posting your results :D