PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Win Euro 2004??????

Feņa14
06-13-2004, 12:01 PM
I'm going for England, but that could be because i'm biased :wink:

So who do you think?

-Liam

Coda
06-13-2004, 03:09 PM
what is euro?

Phil
06-13-2004, 05:09 PM
A more pertinent question is: Who CARES about Euro '04?

david aames
06-13-2004, 05:46 PM
I don't care if it's Liam who brings up the subject on a tennis forum but I can tell you that I was ****ed as hell that I didn't get to see France beat England today. Euro 2004 is a big deal Phil.

James Brown
06-13-2004, 05:51 PM
France, NO WAY will england win with chokers like that. gerrard, STUPID play. Just silly silly stupid play by england. cant really blame beckham for not scoring on the free kick, what can ya say, he hit such a good one to set up lampard. I wanna see england win it so beckham can show the naysayers that theyre idiots. I dont like rooney though, guys a *****. :>

Phil
06-13-2004, 09:53 PM
A big deal...in Europe, David. Sorry to rub it in, but...I actually saw most of the game-I was jet lagged, and therefore, up at 3:00 a.m. and I also need small talk material to chat up British and Japanese women in the bars here, so I keep on top of, or...abreast of major foreign sports stories. The Japanese follow the Premier closely, although not as much since Beckham left. The UK looked, as I expected, flat. Let's hear it for Latvia!

Capt. Willie
06-14-2004, 12:23 PM
The Japanese follow the Premier closely, although not as much since Beckham left. The Japanese follow the Premier League...why? Now if you said they follow MLB I could fully understand that as they have several players here including Matsui. I know David Beckham is like the most famous Pro athlete in the world but here in the US most people have no clue who he is. In fact I'd go as far as to say his wife is more well known here.

Feņa14
06-14-2004, 12:41 PM
Beckham actually plays in the Spanish premier league (La Liga) so that just makes them watching the British league even more wierd imo. But they do love Manchester United :evil: Chelsea all the way!!!

-Liam

Capt. Willie
06-14-2004, 01:34 PM
Beckham actually plays in the Spanish premier league (La Liga) Liam (or anyone in the know), when someone says Premier League aren't they usually refereing to the British Premier League? And doesn't "La Liga" translate to "The League", shouldn't it be Primero Liga? Anyway, lets go Cosmos!...oh wait, I think they went belly-up years ago.

James Brown
06-14-2004, 02:08 PM
primera liga means 'the first league'... lol ;> man utd is fun to watch with ronaldo and von nistelrooy

katarddx
06-14-2004, 07:38 PM
A big deal...in Europe, David. Sorry to rub it in, but...

Soccer is the MOST popular sport in the WORLD, Phil, not just Europe... :wink:

Capt. Willie
06-14-2004, 08:48 PM
I just want to know how many Europeans actually watch/follow NFL Europe. I suspect most people at the games are Americans living in Germany.

Phil
06-14-2004, 11:09 PM
The Japanese follow the Premier League...why? Now if you said they follow MLB I could fully understand that as they have several players here including Matsui. I know David Beckham is like the most famous Pro athlete in the world but here in the US most people have no clue who he is. In fact I'd go as far as to say his wife is more well known here.

They follow the Premier League more closely than their own (J-League), because teams like Manchester U. and Liverpool have done such a good job at marketing their teams, the league and the sport in Asia. Also, until last year, Beckham played for MU, and he is a veritable god there. Adding my own 2 cents, of all the games/leagues that I've seen, the Premier League is the only one where general quality of play is NOT mind-numbingly BORING. And Beckham's wife is a beady-eyed lil' ***** (apologies to Sean O'Roarke!).

Katarddx - Yeah, so I've been told that it's the most popular. Just a FEW countries that are NOT on that bandwaggon are: USA/Canada, China, India, Australia/NZ, Northern part of S. America, C. America, and probably a few that I missed. Oh, and in Japan, it's #4, following baseball, sumo and woman's marathon in that order. Go figure that one out.

Verbal_Kint
06-14-2004, 11:51 PM
James Brown, it's VAN Nistelrooy.. And Phil, I know the mexicans are pretty crazy about their soccer..

Marnix

Capt. Willie
06-15-2004, 10:27 AM
[quote]
And Beckham's wife is a beady-eyed lil' ***** HEY!!! That's my all time favorite Spice Girl you're talking about. :P

katarddx
06-15-2004, 01:28 PM
Phill- I am not a soccer fan... But, i don't agree that one of a FEW country who doesn't care about soccer are China, Japan, parts of S. America, even here is pretty popular specialy between kids... But I can also see that you have a soccer knowledge, so you know this too, Long live Tennis!

david aames
06-15-2004, 04:31 PM
Pretty much all Central America/South America are football nations. Pele, Maradona and Ronaldo are living Gods over there. Well, in Maradona's case, I guess it's safe to say half dead.

Just a FEW countries that are NOT on that bandwaggon are: USA/Canada, China, India, Australia/NZ, Northern part of S. America, C. America, and probably a few that I missed. Oh, and in Japan, it's #4, following baseball, sumo and woman's marathon in that order. Go figure that one out.

Phil
06-15-2004, 05:07 PM
David wrote:

Pretty much all Central America/South America are football nations. Pele, Maradona and Ronaldo are living Gods over there. Well, in Maradona's case, I guess it's safe to say half dead.

I said the north part of S. America-Venezueala, Guyana, Paraguay, etc. Also, in C. America, Baseball is still king, last I heard.

And Capt. Willie, you have no taste if that's true. BTW, "Phil" is my real name so, unless you want to do it-and look like an a-hole in the process- there is no need to use quotations.

Capt. Willie
06-15-2004, 08:03 PM
I was in no way shape or form implying that your name wasn't Phil...I would have absolutely no reason to think otherwise. That is the way it came out when I tried to use the quote option in the corner. I have no clue why it came out like that. And even if you were using an alias, why would I care? Furthermore I resent your calling me an "a-hole" without first asking my motivation behind it.

Phil
06-15-2004, 08:39 PM
I didn't call you an a-hole, Capt. Willie. I merely wrote that if you want to call into doubt the veracity of my name (which, if it weren't my real name would be a pretty mundane-sounding nom de guerre, indeed), then you would indeed be one. Given your explanation, however, it's obvious that there was absolutely no intent on your part to engage in the a-hole-like behavior that I defined. So, case closed, no harm done, right?

Feņa14
06-16-2004, 08:36 AM
I said the north part of S. America-Venezueala, Guyana, Paraguay, etc. Also, in C. America, Baseball is still king, last I heard.

Well the countries that you mention all play football as a nation, Paraguay have an good team and I seem to remember they have/had a goalkeeper who took all the penalties and free-kicks. They are a very good playing nation and they love football, they are ranked 25th in the world and have got those points by beating the other great South American countries.

Also where is "Venezueala"? never heard of that place.

Venezuela also have a good team with some very good players that I saw play Brazil a few years ago and they are ranked 50th, lets face it, football is the sport of the world. You cant say anything that can change that.

-Liam

BigboyDan
06-16-2004, 01:54 PM
Germany.

Phil
06-16-2004, 05:30 PM
Well the countries that you mention all play football as a nation, Paraguay have an good team and I seem to remember they have/had a goalkeeper who took all the penalties and free-kicks. They are a very good playing nation and they love football, they are ranked 25th in the world and have got those points by beating the other great South American countries.

Just about EVERY country HAS a soccer team. Doesn't mean it's the most popular sport in a country. And if you want to bring the "rankings" into it, just remember that USA is or was recently ranked AHEAD of the UK. That's right. WE have a soccer too, but the sport ranks right up there with ESPN's stump throwing and lumber jack contests. But we are ranked AHEAD OF YOU, and most people in the USA don't realize this and don't care, either. Venezuela doesn't have much of a team-they like BASEBALL there.

katarddx
06-17-2004, 08:19 AM
All right, I give up... Synchronized swimming is the most popular sport on this planet...

Feņa14
06-17-2004, 10:42 AM
Well it just so happens that Venezuela's national sport is football, they love it and frankly who can blame them?

As for the USA team, they got their ranking points by beating lesser countries, we got our points by playing countries like France, Turkey, Germany, Holland, Spain, Portugal etc....

Mexico who are ranked fourth have a decent team but wouldn't beat any of the countries listed above.

-Liam

K!ck5w3rvE
06-18-2004, 02:59 AM
go Australia

Pyro
06-26-2004, 01:01 AM
Yeah, soccer is extremely important in everywhere except America. The triumverate, love that word, of america is :american football, basketball, and baseball. When I took a tour of Europe, all they had on tv was soccer and all I heard about was Beckham when I went to the UK. I would start soccer but I hate sports where it takes forever to score a goal (hockey, soccer) and I've seen too many people get a tennis ball right in the crouch to start playing, plus i'm no good anyway.

Phil
06-26-2004, 01:41 AM
Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:42 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well it just so happens that Venezuela's national sport is football, they love it and frankly who can blame them?

As for the USA team, they got their ranking points by beating lesser countries, we got our points by playing countries like France, Turkey, Germany, Holland, Spain, Portugal etc....

Mexico who are ranked fourth have a decent team but wouldn't beat any of the countries listed above.

-Liam

Sorry to say, chump, but your team suks. Points or no points, they chocked their socks off-BOUNCED from the FIRST round. Seems that EVERY game the UK loses, its fans say, "Oh, we were unlucky" or "We were ripped off..." Let's face it, your team is mediocre-not even among one of the top teams in Europe. The Premier League is very good-due to the contributions of foreign players-the stars are foreign, and England has Owen, Rooney and that's pretty much it. Nicky Butt? Give me a break. England has very little to cheer about. UK soccer is best known throughout the world, less for the quality of its players than for the drunken, moronic scum-bags who follow the team around the contininent like a bad stench. Go back and study for your "A" levels, ya jagoff.

Feņa14
06-26-2004, 01:59 PM
The reason that we were unlucky was because we had a goal that wasn't allowed that was an acceptable goal. Everyone knows it even the referee now, it was that bad a decision that FIFA have already banned him from doing international matches for a considerable time. Anyother referee and we would be in the semi's.

As for our players, Rooney is good but Owen is cr@p. We also have other world class players like: Lampard, Gerrard, Campbell, Terry, Scholes, Beckham. And someother decent players.

Deep down you haven't got a clue what your talking about, bit of hush wouldn't go a miss.

And i'm not doing A levels so I haven't got to study for anything.

1-0 to Liam (thats a football term so you may not get it)

-Liam

Phil
06-27-2004, 07:05 AM
Choke...learn how to spell it. Beckham is the most overrated, most media-hyped marketing gimmick out there. He should quit while he's ahead. But of course, you guys are ALWAYS "unlucky". Has nothing to do with the BETTER team winning. Stop crying about the choke job and start following a REAL team, the American one.

Russell Finch
06-29-2004, 01:00 AM
It's true that England were denied victory by a poor refereeing decision but it would have been a lucky win as Portugal outplayed us. As for Beckham - he looked unfit, dopey and sometimes even a bit disinterested at times. Perhaps having Posh keeping her beady eyes on him wherever he goes is beginning to get him down.

Feņa14
07-02-2004, 03:02 PM
So then it's Greece V Portugal.

Any thoughts? and btw, Come On Greece!!!!!

-Liam

katarddx
07-10-2004, 05:12 PM
I think Greece!