PDA

View Full Version : Indian Wells Pacific Life Open

FREDDY
02-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Does anyone know who are playing in this tournament?

simi
02-15-2006, 09:22 PM
List isn't finalized yet. But, unless someone is hurt, they will be there. It has often been refered to as "the fifth slam". The website has a list, but it is only tentative.

Matthew
02-15-2006, 09:48 PM
I believe it is a 96 player draw, which is the largest draw outside of the Grand Slams.

simi
02-15-2006, 09:50 PM
I believe it is a 96 player draw, which is the largest draw outside of the Grand Slams.

Correct! Seeds get a first round bye.

- - - - -

Edit the above. I'm sure about a first round bye for the seeds. But, that would mean that they have 32 seeds. Not sure that is correct.

joe sch
02-15-2006, 10:04 PM
All the players will probably be there except for the Williams sisters

aznkb888
02-15-2006, 10:44 PM
if you go to pacificlifeopen.com and look around i believe there are preliminary entry lists for now...

tenalyser
02-15-2006, 11:33 PM
List isn't finalized yet. But, unless someone is hurt, they will be there. It has often been refered to as "the fifth slam". The website has a list, but it is only tentative.

actually The NASDAQ 100 (Miami) is known as "the fifth slam" not Indiana wells

RogerFan
02-16-2006, 02:23 PM
True the only Fifth Grand Slam is the Nasdaq100.

Indianwells > Nasdaq? no even close.

Grigollif1
02-16-2006, 02:30 PM
How far away is Indian Wells from the San Fernando Valley? I'm contemplating going this year, Just hope is not a very long drive..

-Thanks

Mr.Federer
02-16-2006, 02:37 PM
actually The NASDAQ 100 (Miami) is known as "the fifth slam" not Indiana wells

You beat me to it...

goober
02-16-2006, 02:58 PM
True the only Fifth Grand Slam is the Nasdaq100.

Indianwells > Nasdaq? no even close.

not even close?

They pretty much have the same draws on the Mens and Women's side both in size and quality of players. The attendence of last years Indian wells event was greater than Nasdaq by about 20,000. The overall prize money was higher at Nasdaq but to say they are not even close is a stretch.

simi
02-16-2006, 03:20 PM
How far away is Indian Wells from the San Fernando Valley? I'm contemplating going this year, Just hope is not a very long drive..

Indian Wells is southeast of Palm Springs. Depends on the time of day you drive out there on how long it will take. Stay off of the 210/10 from about 2:30 and later. Depending on where you are in the Valley, figure on about two hours to drive out there. I'm going on the 12th, because that is the first day of doubles (which is what I want to see). See the thread in the travel sub-forum for some info I found out from talking with the ticket office lady. You can get a discount if you have a USTA card.

Grigollif1
02-16-2006, 03:26 PM
I live in the Northridge area.. I haven't seen Federer in action live yet, so I am enthusiastic about seeing his game in person. Altough, in my view he is not playing as flashy this year as he was in 04 and 05. 2 Hours drive to see a Master series sound very good. Now, I'm going to check the ticket prices..

Thanks a lot for the info SIMI.

simi
02-16-2006, 03:32 PM
I live in the Northridge area...

Are you a member of the LATPA? Their home courts are at CSUN. Good group of folk. Drop-in singles on Saturday mornings, drop-in doubles on Sunday mornings and Tuesday nights. USTA leagues. Sometimes WTT. Used to do Phoenix, but the mover and shaker on that league died the other year and nobody has picked up for him. They also have a lot of social activities. Players range from 3.0 to about 5.0 levels. Not many at the higher levels, lots at the lower levels.

LATPA = Los Angeles Tennis Player's Association

www.latpa.org

Tennisute
02-16-2006, 04:59 PM
Its a great tournament for hanging out on the outer courts. You can sit on Court4 and see into Court 5, endless action on 17 courts. The practice courts are wide open, players are jogging on the grass.

If you can stand it get there around 9am, try to hang on till 10pm! Great beer court, easy access to players and usually about 90 degrees.

Check into an all day pass, although you sit in the Grandstand nosebleed seats for the low price.

Can't believe there were more attendees here than the Nasdaq, especially since IW tried to ship the tourney off to China.

Hewitt rulez
02-16-2006, 05:57 PM
I just hope Safin plays in it.

Matthew
02-16-2006, 06:30 PM
I just hope Safin plays in it.

Me too. I'm gunna be there all week and I'm pretty excited - my first trip to California, or any of the west coast for that matter.

Tennisute
02-16-2006, 07:06 PM
If you pay close attention to the outer courts you can find yourself sitting next to the coach of the player involved. Very intense covert coaching happens usually in another language! Found myself sitting next to Emilie Loit's coaches, she was losing, sun was going down, getting tense and each time she glanced 10 yards toward us there was some rapid muttering.

I sat ********* as Malisse barked at a poor ballkid, had him jacked all over the court=and it was the first game!

The real drama happens as someone loses, if they aren't playing doubles also, its curtains, see you later, move on. Seeing a player have to walk off the court shaking their head after an extreme effort is worth the price of admission.

ta11geese3
02-16-2006, 07:11 PM
I'm going on the second to last saturday (as I did last year) but I'm starting to think that in the future, I should get tickets for one of the earlier days, in order to see players much closer up. Watching semis and finals is great, but watching them way up... hmm...

VamosRafa
02-16-2006, 08:11 PM
IW is a great tournament -- with the women and the men playing. As others have noted here, practice courts are very accessible there. Probably the most accessible I've seen -- except for perhaps Cincy, which actually posts play practice schedules for the public. But the practice courts are much more accessible than in Miami.

Although the nightlife and such in Miami is much better than at IW. So both tournaments have lots to recommend them. They probably are the best tournaments to attend other than slams -- and in some ways they are better than slams.

FREDDY
02-17-2006, 08:47 PM
One more question the one answer i really wanted. IS RICHARD GASQUET PLAYING? it's unlikely but, does anyone know? what are the chances: 10 25 50 100%?

simi
02-17-2006, 09:19 PM
.....especially since IW tried to ship the tourney off to China.

Not quite accurate. The Chinese actually made quite a play to get the tournament and the City if Indian Wells and Charlie Pasarell did everything they could to keep it. Lot of politics involved, but IW certainly didn't try to sent the tournament to China.

Matthew
02-17-2006, 10:09 PM
One more question the one answer i really wanted. IS RICHARD GASQUET PLAYING? it's unlikely but, does anyone know? what are the chances: 10 25 50 100%?

Why wouldn't he be? He has been playing terribly but I don't think he is just going to stop going to big tournaments because of that...

I hope he is there (and I expect him to be) and I hope that he gets out of this first round slump he has been in.

Grigollif1
02-17-2006, 10:48 PM
Are you a member of the LATPA? Their home courts are at CSUN. Good group of folk. Drop-in singles on Saturday mornings, drop-in doubles on Sunday mornings and Tuesday nights. USTA leagues. Sometimes WTT. Used to do Phoenix, but the mover and shaker on that league died the other year and nobody has picked up for him. They also have a lot of social activities. Players range from 3.0 to about 5.0 levels. Not many at the higher levels, lots at the lower levels.

LATPA = Los Angeles Tennis Player's Association

www.latpa.org

Hey simi, I actually Play at Pierce colege. I know the program you are talking about I have a few friends that Play in there. Too bad that CSUN only has a women Tennis team...anyway, Maybe we can Hit sometime. My e-mail is hospedagem50@hotmail.com drop me your Phone number and we can Setup...

-Thanks

VamosRafa
02-17-2006, 10:56 PM
Why wouldn't he be? He has been playing terribly but I don't think he is just going to stop going to big tournaments because of that...

I hope he is there (and I expect him to be) and I hope that he gets out of this first round slump he has been in.

As long as he's healthy, his ranking his high enough for automatic entry. If he doesn't show up, he'll be fined without a good reason (such as injury).

BabolatFan
02-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Any locals bought tickets yet? Any good deals? I wanna get some weekend tickets. I know I'll be hanging out around practice courts...

Fee
02-20-2006, 01:12 PM
If you want tickets to the first weekend to hang around the outer courts and practice courts, just walk up to the window with a USTA card or college ID and buy one. They rarely ever sell out (before 11 am).

The Nasdaq is considered the 'fifth slam' because it predates Indian Wells as a large combined event. IW used to be held at a much smaller venue, with the women one week and the men the next week. The City of IW built the tennis center a few years back, and it became a 10 day combined event. Not sure about the attendence figures, but it wouldn't suprise me if IW has better numbers simply because the main stadium is HUGE.