PDA

View Full Version : What does it feel like?

Honestlybad
02-17-2006, 02:49 AM
How do players like Agassi or Hewitt feel about being "only" the second best player of their generation. Do you guys think it stings? Having to admit that someone owns you like Federer owns Hewitt must be depressing...

ssuHeartsRivald
02-17-2006, 03:08 AM
I don't know. If he was me, i would be very happy and proud to be exist in the top ten. Agassi got 8 titles GS (all surface), yeah, he depressed because he failed to complete 15 GS titles....awkward.
Well, it's not easy to be no 1 or 2 or 3 in the world. For themself to do it, surely it is an achievement that should be exalted.

Depression got to be happened to anyone, no matter the ranking he is. Sampras for example has his own remorse on his carrer that he failed to winning in France.

Honestlybad
02-17-2006, 03:15 AM
The thing is, these guys spent their whole life trying to be the best and they were so close... Having to admit to yourself that they are not must be really hard especially when you're that close.

ssuHeartsRivald
02-17-2006, 03:24 AM
The thing is, these guys spent their whole life trying to be the best and they were so close... Having to admit to yourself that they are not must be really hard especially when you're that close.
Everybody should try the best they can do it and of course want to be no.1. So with your POV, all of them is depressing.

Hewitt is a former no.1 before Federer. But now, he is NOT CLOSE anymore to be no.1. Well, Agassi has a same case. Okay, maybe Hewitt is depressing with his lost streaks by Roger but as well he depressed about all his lost to other players.

goober
02-17-2006, 04:23 AM
Sure Agassi should have won a few more GS titles, but sheesh he has had an insanely good career. Plus he and his wife must be worth more than $200 million :) I don't think he loses to much sleep over Fed/Sampras.

Grimjack
02-17-2006, 04:39 AM
How do players like Agassi or Hewitt feel about being "only" the second best player of their generation. Do you guys think it stings? Having to admit that someone owns you like Federer owns Hewitt must be depressing...

Obviously, it'll depend on the psychological makeup of the individual. Insofar as there is a "normal, well-adjusted person," he or she feels regret in the way you suggest only when their dreams don't meet their expectations. People who feel they have underachieved have a tendency toward depression and regret. People who feel they have reached their potential, or overachieved, have a tendency towards contentment.

Agassi may be a slight underachiever, but from what I can tell from interviews and such, he seems to have talked himself into the idea that he prolonged his career and his path of success by playing half-assed as a young man. He seems content. And of course, he's been a monumental overachiever financially. Whoever that was above guesstimating $200m for that household is WAY underbidding. Andre has had single years in that ballpark.

Hewitt, based on what I hear from HIM, seems to be a guy who is disgusted by failure. He seems to honestly feel he belongs on top, and seems aggravated on-court and off when he isn't there. I think being in the shadows of a giant bugs him a lot.

Unfortunately for him, I don't think history will remember him as much more than a "pretty good player," whereas Andre will be remembered as a great. Just the fortunes of when each was born, I'm afraid. Born ten years sooner, Hewitt would have been a 10 slam winner.

Warriorroger
02-17-2006, 04:46 AM
Agassi has won on all surfaces, Sampras never did that. Agassi was number one. His longevity is beyond belief. He ranks right up there with Sampras and Roger Federer. He deserves his place amongst the very best, he married the very best and is can still hit with the very best male player ever. Federer is in a class of his own, Sampras would have been 2nd to him as well.

Much respect for Andre and I am from his generation, so he is an inspiration as well.

goober
02-17-2006, 05:00 AM
Whoever that was above guesstimating $200m for that household is WAY underbidding. Andre has had single years in that ballpark.

Do you have any links? I have followed Forbes lists for highest paid athletes for years now and honestly don't remember ever seeing any tennis player even coming close to making $200 million in one year. If you win a grandslam and maybe 5-7 titles you will get about 4-5 million at most. I don't remember any athlete getting $195 million in one year for endorsements.

Agassi has been the highest paid tennis player in recent years including winnings and endorsements and he has been around the $25-28 million mark.

According this list from Oct. 2004. Andre Agassi net worth was 162 million

27 Andre Agassi ... 34
... Tennis Player ... $162 million

http://www.rich-b astards.com/

(delete space)

35ft6
02-17-2006, 05:06 AM
Whoever that was above guesstimating $200m for that household is WAY underbidding. Andre has had single years in that ballpark. A few years ago Agassi's net worth was estimated at around $150 million, and Graf's was way way less. 200 million might be about right.

Surecatch
02-17-2006, 05:59 AM
Being the best of a generation is something only one person can achieve. At one time Hewitt was the best player in the world and at times Agassi has been. Agassi has nothing to be ashamed of at all. Like others have mentioned, he has nearly unheard of longevity at a very high level, eight slams, success on all surfaces and immense celebrity and wealth and his status as a tennis legend is secure. Hewitt also has nothing to be ashamed of but maybe more room for disappointment. He should be at the top of his game right now and it appears he isn't. I'm sure he knows that he has the skills to return to top form but time may be running out considering he's 25. He has 3-4 more years to get back to the level that could get him more slam titles...he shouldn't count on post thirty slam titles like Andre got.

VGP
02-17-2006, 06:48 AM
At least Agassi and Hewitt have more than one grand slam title and have been ranked number one.

Winning grand slam titles, olympic medals, and helping to win the Davis Cup, and achieving the top ranking are the top accomplishments on the tour.

This question would be more applicable to guys like Todd Martin or Michael Chang......

Putting Sampras and Agassi on the same plane is an insult to Sampras.

Federer, for the time being, is in a class below Agassi as far as accomplishments go.

Federer is NOT up to where Sampras is yet. Sorry.

Honestlybad
02-17-2006, 10:13 AM
He's not but he most likely will be. I'm talking about being remembered as the best of a generation and Federer seems to be just that.

The thing with tennis is that you need a big ego in order to be sucessful. You need supreme confidence in your abilities as an athlete and as a player because of how intensly mental this sport is. It must be difficult for some of these guys (Hewitt being a good example) to swalow their pride and admit that someone is in fact much better than they are.

arnz
02-17-2006, 10:35 AM
A few years ago Agassi's net worth was estimated at around $150 million, and Graf's was way way less. 200 million might be about right.

Those poor people, I will be sure to donate a portion of my next paycheck to them so that they don't linger at the bottom of the Forbes richest athletes list. What an injustice! ;)

Grigollif1
02-17-2006, 10:40 AM
I believe this question applies much better to Andy Roddick. He has been in the Wimbledon finals for 2 years and in the semis once. In the US open 2003 He was on the rise being considerated by many as the player that will be on top of tennis for a while, and achieve many grand slam titles. Meanwhile, in the MC of 2003 in comes a Roger Federer with massive talent and Begins to completely outclass the rest of the field from the AUS 04 on. If you Roddick, it must be very difficult not to contemplate what could have been If wasn't for the swiss Player. He would problably be Number 1 in the rankings and With 3 Wimbledons in his pocket already.

Agassi is in a different perspective, The guy has been in the scene for the last 3 decades. As opposed to Andy roddick He actually had rivalry Going with Pete Sampras. Sampras has 20 Victories Agassi 14, is very different from Roddick 1 victory against 10 From Federer. Plus, like many others mentioned here Agassi has the Slam going for him, having Won in all surfaces.

So if you are Andy Roddick you are problably having to dwell on this victory for the rest of your career : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBRV3X6miqE&search=roger%20federer ...

michaellashan
02-17-2006, 11:04 AM
I'm talking about being remembered as the best of a generation and Federer seems to be just that.......It must be difficult for some of these guys (Hewitt being a good example) to swalow their pride and admit that someone is in fact much better than they are.

If Agassi had to choose between being remembered as "the best of a generation" or being one of only five men to win a career grand slam, I think it would be safe to say that he is sleeping well with his own accomplishments (and wife) ;) .

A pro cannot be better than everybody for 365 days a year; they will lose at least once in that time. I would think that winning grand slams would be greater in a pros mind than being better than everyone else. Just my opinion :)

legolas
02-17-2006, 11:19 AM
they prolly feel bad and good, abd their not one, but good their on of the best

oscar_2424
02-17-2006, 11:23 AM

That is one of the dumbest questions i have ever seen in this forum

hyperwarrior
02-17-2006, 11:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBRV3X6miqE&search=roger%20federer...

I was there and I've witnessed his only victory. At that times, people are more into Andy than Roger.

Honestlybad
02-17-2006, 11:33 AM
Luckily no one cares what you think oscar.