PDA

View Full Version : Baghdatis exempt from Army - now to #1!

tennisjunkiela
02-17-2006, 04:50 PM
Finally, Baghdatis has been exempted from compulsory military service by his country (at least for the next 12 years) and now, he can concentrate on becoming the #1 male tennis player in the world!

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AsIgg0KR2qgAkCmQBSxayxw4v7YF?slug=reu-baghdatisdc&prov=reuters&type=lgns

snoflewis
02-17-2006, 05:53 PM
i dont think he'll hit #1...but maybe in the top 10

rfprse
02-17-2006, 11:38 PM
Good news.
It's not good to see anybody having to miss a big chunk of his prime because of the military service.

superman1
02-18-2006, 01:25 AM
What does Cyprus need compulsory military service for? Is Palestine trying to take them over too?

Yours!05
02-18-2006, 01:41 AM
What does Cyprus need compulsory military service for? Is Palestine trying to take them over too?Probably be a Cyprus history lesson coming your way soon.;)

DashaandSafin
02-18-2006, 06:57 AM
Yay! Too bad he wont ever make it to no.1. Or even the top 5. A lucky run here or there big freaking deal. See: Johansson T., Clement A.

whistleway
02-18-2006, 09:56 AM
Don't you think it is a bit too much?
http://www.atptennis.com/baghdatis/

rounick
02-18-2006, 10:02 AM
What does Cyprus need compulsory military service for? Is Palestine trying to take them over too?
Dude,you're obviously ignorant so why let it show?Really bad sense or humour too.
Let me help you.
Compulsary military service seems pretty obvious for a population of 800,000
since the turks took over the north part of the island in 1974,raping and murdering innocent civilliants on their way and kicking people out of their homes..
But this is not the place for such discussion..
Baghdatis is no Clement or Johansson,we're gonna see a lot more of him in the years to come..

tennisjunkiela
02-18-2006, 10:09 AM

A history lesson...
Cyprus has been a divided island since the early 1960's. Greek Cypriots, the majority, live in the south and Turkish Cypriots, live in the north. Greece and Turkey both have staked claims to the island.

UN troops are stationed on the island and there is a UN buffer/demilitarization separating the bickering sides.

With a total population of about 700,000, military service is compulsory. There hasn't been much major fighting in recent years but, the on-going debate of whose language is going to be the official language for the island, whose culture and history is going to be the taught in school, who is going to run the government, etc. hasn't been settled. So, the island is still divided. Referendums for a re-united Cyprus have failed in recent years.

Baghdatis is a Greek Cypriot.

chess9
02-18-2006, 11:47 AM
Well, I for one would not be unhappy to see Bag Man go to number 1, even if it were for just a few weeks. I also think he's got the potential to be #1, but probably not until one RF finishes his 'military' tour with the ATP. :) Right now, there are no invading 'armies' either. :)

-Robert
________
Vaporizer affiliates (http://vaporizeraffiliateprogram.com)

Tennis_Nickmo
02-18-2006, 02:13 PM
Can't see him getting to No1, but top 5 a possibility. Look who's there now- Ljubicic!!!

pound cat
02-18-2006, 02:40 PM
All I sense is that being exempted from service for 12 years because of the huge expectaions of Cyprus on this 20 year old is going to put such enormous pressure on Baghdatis for his entire career it may screw him up completely.

VolklVenom
02-18-2006, 03:19 PM
i agree with pound cat here, the pressure must be enormous.
Does he have the mental toughness? The single minded ruthlessness that many tennis players talk about, that is required to catapult to the top?
To me, he seems like too nice a guy.
I feel the pressure imposed by others will cause Baghdatis to become disenchanted with the game; even possibly hating it.
He will either become ruthless over time, or will hate the mere sight of a tennis ball over time.

chess9
02-18-2006, 03:22 PM
We don't know...and therein lies the mystery and beauty of so much in life. We get to watch it all happen too....

-Robert
________
Paoli (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/Paoli/)

legolas
02-18-2006, 03:37 PM
i dont think he'll hit #1...but maybe in the top 10
yeah

VolklVenom
02-18-2006, 04:03 PM
i hope he can enjoy himself, have fun and still be a "top X" player.
Might be too big an ask.

simi
02-18-2006, 04:29 PM

Uugh! Don't they teach history in school anymore?

mr.fitch
02-18-2006, 04:31 PM

Ah yes, Marcos is exempt from army service so he doesnt have to defend his island nation from the Greeks.........and the Ottoman Empire. :D

VolklVenom
02-18-2006, 04:40 PM
i'm starting to feel sorr for him

ACE of Hearts
02-18-2006, 04:40 PM
Bags has alot of potential, he showed it when he was a junior player.He has a big serve which can win him easy points and he has a forehand which can take him places.I wanna know what his real height is.He is a strong kid, he looks like Agassi's height, about 5'11.

maconick
02-18-2006, 05:27 PM
yess no army

rfprse
02-18-2006, 10:19 PM
All I sense is that being exempted from service for 12 years because of the huge expectaions of Cyprus on this 20 year old is going to put such enormous pressure on Baghdatis for his entire career it may screw him up completely.
I thought it was a reward of the strong showing and inspiring the pride of the nation in AO. Yeah, it'll be a burden to meet the expectation of his compatriots but on the bright side, isn't it good for him to know that he can focus on tennis without worrying about when/if he'll get drafted since the schedule is set?

croatian sensation
02-19-2006, 04:32 AM
Don't you think it is a bit too much?
http://www.atptennis.com/baghdatis/

Federer, Hewitt, Roddick, Nadal, Baghdatis all have their player mania pages.

Hewitt has 24 singles titles- of which 2 GS and 2 TMC
Roddick has 20 singles titles- 1 GS
Nadal has 12 singles titles- of which 1 GS and is currently #2 at the age of 19
Federer- no need to explain anything here
And our boy Baghdatis has no singles titles.. and a 21-17 singles matches record.

OF COURSE IT'S TOO MUCH. Why does he deserve a player mania page and Safin, Agassi, Nalbandian don't? And don't tell me it's the popularity among the fans criteria cause Roddick and Hewitt blow this theory.

DashaandSafin
02-19-2006, 08:01 AM
Um. As far as i know, unless your school is super super special the knowledge of the conflict there in Cyprus is not needed. Besides schools now gear toward AP courses and knowledge of anything in Cyprus is pretty useless. I only learned about the history of Cyrpus through a Peacekeeping program.