PDA

View Full Version : How long do strings last in unused racquets??

Puskas
06-13-2004, 09:42 PM
I am wondering how long do natural gut and/or other syntetic gut strings last in racquets without loosing tension?

PHSTennis
06-14-2004, 06:17 AM
Never string up natural gut if you dont plan to use the racquet its a big ole` waste... and synthetic would last about 3 months id say but ideallistically about 6 months

Gaines Hillix
06-14-2004, 09:14 AM
6-8 mos is as long as I would let a racquet go without restringing even if I only played occasionally. Of course, people who play that infrequently probably don't know the difference anyway.

Puskas
06-14-2004, 08:50 PM
Thank you!
Basically I have two other racquets I do not use currently, but might need them anytime in the future, and they would need to be ready to play. Ideally I would want to have natural gut in them - as I use that mostly - but if there is a possibility that they might go dead in a few month, it does not worth it...

PHSTennis
06-14-2004, 09:41 PM
Well you always want to use fresh natural gut... If you need them in the future just restring them with the natural gut when you need it... if not have some synthetic in there... it wont hurt... maybe keep it unstring.. less stress for the racquet... well im off to read The Last Juror... and your welcome.

tennisnoob
06-15-2004, 01:03 AM
Do not string Guts if you don't intend to play for a while, i've been using Guts for quite sometime now and many at times my guts on my spare sticks would snap after just 2 weeks of stringing even though I haven't played with it. There was once I came back from a 2 weeks overseas trip and found 2 of my rackets strung with guts have snapped! It would be interesting if someone can explain why the guts would just break by itelf even w/o playing with it.