PDA

View Full Version : Let's make a bet on Federer career right now..

fastdunn
02-17-2006, 05:24 PM
Oh man, I like all these threads on how great Federer will be or Sampras
vs Federer and so on...

Pretty much within 3 - 4 years, we'll know how great player Federer turn out to be.

If he wins over 15 slams including French, all these discussions will
be skewed toward Federer. No questions about it.

Or if he career path resembles likes of Wilander or McAnroe or most
of greats, people will talk about why he couldn't do it..

I bet on Federer turning out to be not so much the greatest
in history. Maybe up to 10 slams but include French Open's..

Guys, see you in 3 or 4 years !!

Shaolin
02-17-2006, 05:40 PM
In his career Fed will the Slam at least once, at least 3 more Wimbledons, 3 more US Opens & Australian Opens and the French at least once, probably 2+ times.

18 Slams total (or more) plus the Olympics and maybe a Davis Cup if he feels like applying himself.
He will break the record for consecutive weeks at #1 and # of years at #1 and will go down as the greatest ever.

VGP
02-17-2006, 05:54 PM
Federer will lose motivation and burn out in less than two years time.

He may still take at least 12 grand slam singles titles before he's done.

ACE of Hearts
02-17-2006, 07:07 PM
I dont see this guy burning out, i am sorry.If he takes 3 out of 4 slams this year, he will have 9 slams and he turns 25 in August.I know thats asking alot but if he does that feat again, its a big accomplishment.I hope he wins the french.I will say he will win 16 slams barring injury.

Rickson
02-17-2006, 07:38 PM
vs Federer and so on...

Pretty much within 3 - 4 years, we'll know how great player Federer turn out to be.

Guys, see you in 3 or 4 years !!How much do you want to bet? I'll bet you a grand a year. 4000 dollar bet sound good to you? You can pay up when Federer wins slam number 15. Sound fair to you?

CocoTheMonkey
02-17-2006, 07:49 PM
I bet my wife that he'll win 20 GS!!! :p

VGP
02-17-2006, 08:18 PM
Is your wife hot?

I think a lot of you guys are drunk on Federer. Him winning slams is not a given. He just makes it look easy. He's human. He's susceptible to injury. He can burn out. He can be beat.

They guys on the tour are going to catch up to him. His level will drop.

He'll be lucky to catch Sampras in GS singles titles.

Seven years at year end #1? Not likely.

It takes talent, hard work, and luck.

Best of luck to Federer.

ACE of Hearts
02-17-2006, 08:33 PM
How's that, he is on his pace and if he wins 2 slams he would be further ahead then Sampras, the guy is still 24!Sampras was still winning majors at 27.

FREDDY
02-17-2006, 08:36 PM
Federer will keep playing on the tour until he's 80 and then maybe roddick will be able to beat him. heh.

arnz
02-17-2006, 08:47 PM
Is your wife hot?

I think a lot of you guys are drunk on Federer. Him winning slams is not a given. He just makes it look easy. He's human. He's susceptible to injury. He can burn out. He can be beat.

They guys on the tour are going to catch up to him. His level will drop.

He'll be lucky to catch Sampras in GS singles titles.

Seven years at year end #1? Not likely.

It takes talent, hard work, and luck.

Best of luck to Federer.

The thread is about betting, not opinion. Opinions are dime a dozen. So we see people with strong beliefs in here, willing to put themselves on the line, for 4000 dollars, and even their wife :mrgreen: I'm willing to put up 500 dollars that Fed wins Wimbledon this year, and another 500 dollars to win a career grandslam like Agassi

oh, and you can take my Aunt, Broomhilda as we like to call her...no no bets necessary, you can just take her. In fact, we'll pay for the wedding :)

VGP
02-17-2006, 09:55 PM
Ok then, I'll bet five years worth of my left pinky toe's nail clippings that Federer won't capture 15+ GS singles titles, the doubles career grand slam, with the Davis Cup, and finish the year end #1 seven years in a row.

Docalex007
02-18-2006, 02:44 AM
Ok then, I'll bet five years worth of my left pinky toe's nail clippings that Federer won't capture 15+ GS singles titles, the doubles career grand slam, with the Davis Cup, and finish the year end #1 seven years in a row.

You really don't like your toe nail clippings very much do you? :)

Lee
02-18-2006, 02:57 AM
Welcome back, Alex! How was the trip to Leeds?

arnz
02-18-2006, 06:05 AM

AWWW, I guess your opinion aint worth much

VGP
02-18-2006, 06:14 AM
I know, I know.....

What I wanted to say was:

...Ok then, I'll bet five years worth of my left pinky toe's nail clippings that Federer won't capture 15+ GS singles titles, the doubles career grand slam, with the Davis Cup, and finish the year end #1 seven years in a row....

Followed by: ....better yet, I'll bet my left pinky toe.

But, after typing that I deleted it because the thought of someone taking a pair of rusty cable cutters to my foot made me shudder a bit.

DashaandSafin
02-18-2006, 06:56 AM
Ill bet 100,000,000 that Federer gets stabbed by Gunther Parche or devila;)

Haha just kidding...

Moose Malloy
02-18-2006, 02:35 PM
So do any of you think he will win 8 Wimbledons? or 5 US Opens(or reach 8 straight US Open finals like Lendl?)
Ending year end #1 seven straight years will be pretty hard to do, he will be 29 in 2010.

I don't think he will burn out, but slow down considerably in the next 2-3 years. It will be harder for him to win majors past 27/28 than Sampras because he doesn't have the big serve to rely on. When he loses a step, I'm not sure how he will win.
He's probably already hit more groundies & covered more court in winning 3 Wimbledons than Sampras did in winning 7(the grass was fast then & virtually every point he played there was 1-3 shots a point. No rallies whatsoever. Very efficient, not very physically taxing tennis.)

ACE of Hearts
02-18-2006, 02:47 PM
I dont know about that, his serve is very underrated, while he might not have perfect placement, the disguise on his serve makes him able to dictate the points, u know about his forehand already.I think he will still be winning when he is 27 or 28.

thewisteron
02-18-2006, 02:51 PM
I think he will still be a threat at majors at 30. It just seems like he is very interested in breaking a lot of records and doesn't want to settle.

Docalex007
02-18-2006, 03:04 PM
Welcome back, Alex! How was the trip to Leeds?

It was terrific! The campus is huge and has a very diverse student population. I'll reflect on the visit and decide whether or not to accept their offer for their atmospheric science program. I'm definitely leaning towards accepting.

I thought it was cool seeing everyone drive on the left hand side of the road. I also got a chance to experience just how expensive it really is in England. Your money doesn't last long at all. I'll post some pics of my time there on my site tomorrow or so.

BTW, good luck with your interview. I had a few questions that I would like you to ask him but they have already been covered by the other posters.

TGV
02-18-2006, 08:09 PM
I don't think he will burn out, but slow down considerably in the next 2-3 years. It will be harder for him to win majors past 27/28 than Sampras because he doesn't have the big serve to rely on. When he loses a step, I'm not sure how he will win.
Did Agassi and Connors have a big serve - they sure did win slams after 27/28. In fact Agassi won 5 majors past 29. Sampras with his so called big, efficent game against the so called weak crop of players won only one slam after 29.

He's probably already hit more groundies & covered more court in winning 3 Wimbledons than Sampras did in winning 7(the grass was fast then & virtually every point he played there was 1-3 shots a point. No rallies whatsoever. Very efficient, not very physically taxing tennis.)
??? Federer lost only 4 sets in his 3 wins whereas Sampras lost 11 sets in his first 3 wins. Last year's final against Roddick took only 1hr 40min. He wraps up his matches at W in a quick fashion because he gets many more free points on his serve there (if not ace or service winner, a short reply which can be put away with a big FH). Besides, running on grass is not nearly as taxing as running on hard courts. Fed can be competitive at W for much longer than other slams just like Sampras who won 3 W's post 97 but only 1 out of all the other slams he played.

superman1
02-18-2006, 09:15 PM
I predict he will win The Grand Slam this year, bringing his total to 10. Next year he'll still be the #1 player, but slightly less dominant. There will be a few upsets by rising stars, Safin will take him out somewhere. He'll win the Australian and Wimbledon. So 12 Slams. Then in the 2008 he will win Wimbledon but not retain the #1 ranking. After that he will fade due to more competition and dimishing foot speed, but after a drought he will Wimbledon once more and it will be his swan song.

Or he could get injured tomorrow and never play again.

West Coast Ace
02-19-2006, 12:04 PM
The year end #1 was a bogus 'accomplishment' - as I and others have pointed out, Sampras only did this by entering fall tournaments that he originally had no intention of playing, to get enough points when his position was in jeopardy.

Fed should get to (or past) 14, including at least 1 FO which will truly separate him from Sampras. He'll be the overwhelming favorite at every Slam except the FO. And I don't see him burning out - he seems to have a very good system for playing just enough tournaments to stay sharp and be ready for the Slams.

The real question is: should he be considered better than Laver? I still think of Laver as the best - he won a lot of Slams after having 6 years of competition in his prime stolen from him. And he could hit all the shots - didn't just serve people off the court like Sampras.

ACE of Hearts
02-19-2006, 12:09 PM
The question with Laver is, how would he have doned in today's game, he was very small, lets not forget that.I think alot of arguments will be maded, if Federer wins the GS of tennis, it would be a huge accomplishment.I think this has to be the year, that he goes for the FO.

pound cat
02-19-2006, 02:52 PM
14 cents...Juliette gats sick and Federer quits tennis iin favour of of a veterinary career.

babbette
02-19-2006, 02:59 PM
he's the greatest:p

West Coast Ace
02-19-2006, 04:23 PM
The question with Laver is, how would he have doned in today's game, he was very small, lets not forget that.I think alot of arguments will be maded, Laver was average size for his time - 40 yrs ago - so I don't see how that argument is valid.

anointedone
09-15-2007, 12:59 AM
vs Federer and so on...

Guys, see you in 3 or 4 years !!

Well he is already up to 12 slams with no French Open.

Zets147
09-15-2007, 01:12 AM
aww you should've waited 3 years before reviving it. the effect would've been much greater.

slice bh compliment
09-15-2007, 01:12 AM
All he really needs is to hook up wid a certain Mike Ditka. In no time he will start beating Nadal 6-love, 6 negative 3, 6 negative 3 on clay.

Wid Coach Ditka's help he will surpass Walter Payton's rushing yardage totals in number of Slam titles.

On his 38th birthday, Roger will eat a record number of Polish sausages, have a baker's dozen heart-attacks, and go out at age 38 and win his last Grand Slam title when dey move Wimbledon to a hallowed place called Soldier Field, in a certain city dat beeginss wid a 'C', ends in a 'O' and has a 'HICAG' in da middle of it. .

Daaaa Fedd!

[I just felt it was time for a little early 90s SNL reference, that's all. Carry on]

Rhino
09-15-2007, 01:38 AM
aww you should've waited 3 years before reviving it. the effect would've been much greater.
Don't worry it's bound to slip away again and can be revived in a couple of years. It is interesting to note though that the original post was 2006 and already Fed has 12 slams! I think he could pull out another 5 over the next 2 years (incl French).

The tennis guy
09-15-2007, 10:38 AM
The slowdown/demise of Federer was predicted in 2005 after his loss at Australia Open, 2006 after he won Australia Open with difficulty, 2007 Wimbledon final in 5 sets, 2007 US Open final in 3 sets...... It is not going to stop now, rather more frequently. Detractors will keep beating the drum until one day it will be true, but regardless how many slams he wins, certain people will find reasons to discount them.

AznHylite
09-15-2007, 10:46 AM
All I need to say is that he will win the Grand Slam next year.

LafayetteHitter
09-15-2007, 10:46 AM
Yea most of these posters are right. He is on his way out, I mean the guy is done. I predict that pics will surface in early 08 that he joined a Buddhist monestary and is practicing Shaolin Gun Fu in the mountains of northern China. The guy is number one in the world because the majority of the time even if he's not at his finest he finds a way to win. Sorry to upset all Nadal's boyfriends but Nadal is the one on the way out in the next couple years.