PDA

View Full Version : What Happened to John Roddick?

Grigollif1
02-17-2006, 09:20 PM
I heard that He was a great Junior Player , and that it was he that Intially was set to be The Professional Tennis Pro of the Roddick Family and that Andy just Join along as the little brother. So , does anybody Know why his career didn't quit Work out as well ?

canajun4
02-17-2006, 09:28 PM
because he had back issues and it forced him to quit, or thats what i heard

MARK ANDERS
02-17-2006, 09:28 PM
I saw him play against UCLA when he played for Georgia and I was VERY impressed, knocked the CRAP out of the ball (kind of like Chang's big bro did).

Grigollif1
02-17-2006, 10:01 PM
because he had back issues and it forced him to quit, or thats what i heard

That's it It must have been very Serious. Calros Moya has been Struggling with heavy Lower back pain For a long time and Still manages to be on the top of the game. From what I've read he regularly hits with Andy Roddick and Still being a young guy I don't see the reason way he doesn't make a run at it. Maybe the confidence is not there....

pound cat
02-18-2006, 01:10 PM
I hear he's taken up coaching...but only players with big serves and iffy net play.

snoflewis
02-18-2006, 01:16 PM
I hear he's taken up coaching...but only players with big serves and iffy net play.

gee...i wonder who? :D

Max G.
02-18-2006, 02:10 PM
That's it It must have been very Serious. Calros Moya has been Struggling with heavy Lower back pain For a long time and Still manages to be on the top of the game. From what I've read he regularly hits with Andy Roddick and Still being a young guy I don't see the reason way he doesn't make a run at it. Maybe the confidence is not there....

Dude. It's not a confidence issue...

The question wasn't "why SHOULDN'T he make it" - the reason is obvious, it's that MOST PEOPLE DON'T.

The queston is "why SHOULD he have made it", and there really isn't a good reason for that - he wasn't anything special...

Plus, your comparison with Moya is flawed - Moya started getting the back injuries AFTER he was already an established pro on the ATP tour. If he had back problems when he was still a junior, that could have been very different... maybe.

austro
02-18-2006, 02:13 PM
John now runs a tennis academy in Texas (before having become AR's coach).

35ft6
02-18-2006, 02:33 PM
That's it It must have been very Serious. Calros Moya has been Struggling with heavy Lower back pain For a long time and Still manages to be on the top of the game. From what I've read he regularly hits with Andy Roddick and Still being a young guy I don't see the reason way he doesn't make a run at it. Maybe the confidence is not there.... I'm sure he did. Nothing guarantees success on the pro tour. See Donald Young for tentative example. Also, Tommy Ho, Martin Blackman, and Al Parker. Maybe he was great for juniors and college but didn't have enough for the top 150 ATP.

Grigollif1
02-18-2006, 02:47 PM
Dude. It's not a confidence issue...

The question wasn't "why SHOULDN'T he make it" - the reason is obvious, it's that MOST PEOPLE DON'T.

The queston is "why SHOULD he have made it", and there really isn't a good reason for that - he wasn't anything special...

Plus, your comparison with Moya is flawed - Moya started getting the back injuries AFTER he was already an established pro on the ATP tour. If he had back problems when he was still a junior, that could have been very different... maybe.

Thank you, You made my point very nicely. That's exactly why I pointed out to the confidence issue, because like you said with Carlos Moya has already shown to Himself to be a top world class Player and John, had the Back Problem very early on in his career and problably that's why he wasn't able to get confidence to play in the ATP circuit.

Fee
02-19-2006, 11:03 PM
If I remember correctly, John Roddick was a 3 time All American at Georgia. He suffered a back injury at some point during his college years, and never fully recovered. He played a few doubles matches with Andy at Washington in 2001 (lost in the 2nd round). He was in the same peer group as Gimelstob, Gambill, Humphries, etc. and played juniors against them. His record is available at www.itftennis.com.