PDA

View Full Version : A different perspective

gaspard
02-17-2006, 11:18 PM
Who out there would prefer it if tennis on tv were shot from a different angle, other than from above and behind the court? The way tennis is generally shot at the moment, a lot is lost in terms of capturing the speed of the action. When watching tennis live, I quite enjoy to be at the side of the court. Maybe a compromise would be good, something similar to the way it is shot now, but at the corner instead of behind, so that some lateral speed can be captured. Maybe a lower camera would be good also, so that we can see the height at which the ball travels over the net. A camera behind the player perhaps. What about a player cam, giving you the players perspective, such as they use for F1 drivers? They could put them on collars or headbands. The best would be an interactive service that enabled a person to choose different perspectives from which to watch a match. They already do this for some rugby and football matches in England now that we have gone digital. Sometimes you have about 6 cameras to choose from. The BBC have actually used this technology for some of the Grandslams, but this has just been restricted to the choice of court one wants to watch.

A match which would ordinarily bore one to tears, could be made more exciting if we could see some of the speed involved from the different perspectives. I remember one year at the French Open, the director occasionally cut away during rallies, to a camera they had placed more toward the side. A young Agassi was playing. It was excellent, you could really see the pace at which he hit the ball. The usual angle totally robbed you of this spectacle.

Gaspard

joeman957
02-17-2006, 11:36 PM
That is true, tennis looks really slow on TV.

Yours!05
02-18-2006, 01:13 AM
Who out there would prefer it if tennis on tv were shot from a different angle, other than from above and behind the court? The way tennis is generally shot at the moment, a lot is lost in terms of capturing the speed of the action. When watching tennis live, I quite enjoy to be at the side of the court. Maybe a compromise would be good, something similar to the way it is shot now, but at the corner instead of behind, so that some lateral speed can be captured. Maybe a lower camera would be good also, so that we can see the height at which the ball travels over the net. A camera behind the player perhaps. What about a player cam, giving you the players perspective, such as they use for F1 drivers? They could put them on collars or headbands. The best would be an interactive service that enabled a person to choose different perspectives from which to watch a match. They already do this for some rugby and football matches in England now that we have gone digital. Sometimes you have about 6 cameras to choose from. The BBC have actually used this technology for some of the Grandslams, but this has just been restricted to the choice of court one wants to watch.

A match which would ordinarily bore one to tears, could be made more exciting if we could see some of the speed involved from the different perspectives. I remember one year at the French Open, the director occasionally cut away during rallies, to a camera they had placed more toward the side. A young Agassi was playing. It was excellent, you could really see the pace at which he hit the ball. The usual angle totally robbed you of this spectacle.

GaspardI can't convey how much I agree with your every word. Some tournaments are better than others. The DC tie in Switzerland was better than the AO, as was the Hopman Cup. FO can be quite inventive too.