PDA

View Full Version : Prove that pros brush up the ball instead of hitting through the ball.

Golden Retriever
02-18-2006, 04:32 AM
Have you ever seen Federer or any other pros shank a forehand (Federer does it all the time just for fun I guess)? What happens when they do? Yes, the ball flies VERTICALLY up 50 stories high. What does that tell you? Yes, the racquet is predominantly moving UPWARD when it shanks the ball. That means he/she is trying to predominantly BRUSHING UP the ball instead of hitting through. IF they were trying to hit through the ball the ball would be flying diagonally instead of vertically when they shanked the ball. Any comments?

Volly master
02-18-2006, 05:39 AM
nadal <---

Ljubicic for number1
02-18-2006, 05:52 AM
I didnt know this was being debated?

Grimjack
02-18-2006, 06:02 AM
Pros hit ball with topspin! Tune in! Film at eleven!

DashaandSafin
02-18-2006, 06:41 AM
*sigh* There is ALOT more than swinging your arm and brush up to produce topspin. Such noobishness deserves no respect in this sport. You need to turn your body, shoulder turn, weight transfer, drive through the ball, and then put topsin on. You dont just flick your wrist and say "Wow im a freakin pro man!"

spinbalz
02-18-2006, 08:15 AM
1/ they do both at the same time

2/ even if you only hit thrugh the ball, the ball can go vertically if you shank, just if the ball hits exactly a corner of the frame.

Rhinomilk
02-18-2006, 08:23 AM
1/ they do both at the same time

2/ even if you only hit thrugh the ball, the ball can go vertically if you shank, just if the ball hits exactly a corner of the frame.

exactly:)

TennisAsAlways
02-18-2006, 08:29 AM
For topspin, often times, they do both (swing upwards and through the ball) -- that is........ for topspin shots that looks like they are hitting though the ball, they are in fact (often times) hitting upwards as well. They do it to different degrees though. IE: Compare Blake and Nadal.

Good day now. 8)

Tennis_Nickmo
02-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Well, if they just brushed up the ball, the ball would travel at pathetic speeds, and also, they use a lot of wrist snap for topspin. Hence, the arm is moving forwards to gain the momentum, and the wrist snaps up, hence, the mishits go up. But what was the point of this thread, I thought it was taken as fact, and you seem to want to make it into a debate.

TennisAsAlways
02-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Well, if they just brushed up the ball, the ball would travel at pathetic speeds, and also, they use a lot of wrist snap for topspin. Hence, the arm is moving forwards to gain the momentum, and the wrist snaps up, hence, the mishits go up. But what was the point of this thread, I thought it was taken as fact, and you seem to want to make it into a debate.I don't know what the OP's intention is either. The title of this thread is "Prove that pros brush up the ball instead of hitting through the ball". It's almost as "if" the OP was arguing with someone and telling/ commanding them to prove something that they disagreed with.

[shrugs]: Oh well, carry on.

Good day now. 8)

jhhachamp
02-18-2006, 12:54 PM
Have you ever seen Federer or any other pros shank a forehand (Federer does it all the time just for fun I guess)? What happens when they do? Yes, the ball flies VERTICALLY up 50 stories high. What does that tell you? Yes, the racquet is predominantly moving UPWARD when it shanks the ball. That means he/she is trying to predominantly BRUSHING UP the ball instead of hitting through. IF they were trying to hit through the ball the ball would be flying diagonally instead of vertically when they shanked the ball. Any comments?

Truly fascinating stuff...........LMFAO!

maconick
02-18-2006, 05:31 PM
i know so tryue

Grimjack
02-18-2006, 06:21 PM
Wait a minute. I have new evidence.

This image (http://www.tennisserver.com/turbo/images/citibank99/JimmyConnors1.jpg) suggests that both the ideas that pros "brush up the back of the ball" and that they "watch the ball into the strings" are bunk.

OP: How do you respond?

156MPHserve
02-18-2006, 07:05 PM
I guess all pros swing the same way... ;)

arosen
02-19-2006, 12:51 AM
Yeah, I shank 'em up into the sky every once in a while, kind of embarassing when the ball goes all the way up and lands back at your feet after all that forward swinging of the torso...guess what, I ain't nowhere near as good as the pros.

gaspard
02-20-2006, 12:51 AM
It strikes me that the secrets of the pros, are a source of mystery and fascination for Golden Retriever, particularly their ability to hit hard and consistently. I think that the intention of his/her post was to offer a theory about this, based on what he/she had observed from mishit shots. I think it was more a tentative suggestion looking for confirmation, than a confident revelation, despite the wording. Golden Retriever, regarding driven shots in the pro game, there is every gradation from flat balls to ones with extreme topspin. The physics is the same for everyone, whether you are a club player or a pro, therefore the pros are not doing anything fundamentally different from what recreational players with good technique do. The difference is that, on strongly hit shots, pros do everything with greater exaggeration. Greater racket head speed and control, greater consistency, better movement, greater flexibility, better eye hand coordination etc ad infinitum. How are they able to achieve these feats? Talent, good coaching/development and a lot of practice. There was a university study some time back, that claimed to demonstrate, that to be world class in anything, one would need to accumulate at least 10000 hours of practice in their chosen field, notwithstanding talent. Make of it what you will.

Gaspard

Camilio Pascual
02-20-2006, 08:50 AM
Yes, the racquet is predominantly moving UPWARD when it shanks the ball. That means he/she is trying to predominantly BRUSHING UP the ball instead of hitting through. IF they were trying to hit through the ball the ball would be flying diagonally instead of vertically when they shanked the ball. Any comments?

I believe I read somewhere that a typical swing for a TS groundstroke is about 30 to 45 degrees upwards from a level plane. When I get home, I'll look for it and post it. But, you still may be right since you are fighting gravity more as you angle the stoke upward more sharply.
Compared to the tennis I played in the 50's through the 70's, there is much more emphasis on a sharp upward swing in the modern game. Personally, it takes more effort from me than a flat stroke because of the more critical timing required.
Something we tend to overlook about the effect on the game by Oversized racquet heads is that they not only produced more power, but allowed the sharply upward angled strokes required to produce a lot of topspin to be hit cleanly. I am reminded of that when I pull out my old Arthur Ashe Competition for a few hits.

YooT0PIA
02-20-2006, 09:17 PM
supination-pronation