PDA

View Full Version : Andy Murray = Top10 at end of the year?

Chadwixx
02-18-2006, 09:32 PM
What do you think? Hehe

Lee
02-18-2006, 09:34 PM
Absolutely. I really think he has the chance to become the primere player in the atp.

ACE of Hearts
02-18-2006, 09:36 PM
We will see.I just wish he added some more pounds.I think the fact that beat Roddick on his own surface is impressive, i dont know if a guy like Nadal can say that.

gugafanatic
02-18-2006, 11:32 PM
Murray has shown that he can give the top players alot of trouble (Fed in Thai Final). He still seems abit prone to running out of gas over five sets. Although he is certainly getting stronger. It will be a good test for him against Hewitt, as it seems Murray stuggles against opponents who give him less pace to work with. For example Chela at Aus Open

West Coast Ace
02-18-2006, 11:35 PM
[QUOTE=ACE of Hearts]We will see.I just wish he added some more pounds./QUOTE]Yeah, would definitely help with 3 out of 5 set Slam matches, played every other day.

Another vote for 'time will tell.' But from his recent results he's definitely headed in the right direction.

arosen
02-18-2006, 11:48 PM
If he improves his stamina he can definitely do it at some point, but this year? Nah...he is not quite there yet.

BreakPoint
02-19-2006, 12:17 AM
I think Murray definitely has Top 10 potential. I don't know about this year, but probably within the next 2 or 3 years.

Lee
02-19-2006, 12:40 AM
BTW does anyone know what racket Murray plays with? Did not recognize it when I saw him play.

D20000
02-19-2006, 12:51 AM
Andy plays with a Head Intelligence Radical. I most definately think he will be top 10 by the end of 2006 and probably an outside challenger for the US Open title in September.

Check out the Andy Murray message board [the largest Murray fansite on the web] :
http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=61841&subForumID=163249

Discuss Murray v Roddick with other fans and follow live commentary this evening on Murray v Hewitt.

Live commentary on the message board next week for Andy's matches in Memphis

Noelle
02-19-2006, 03:21 AM
Please refrain from talking about match results for at least 24 hours after the match is finished. That way, I won't have to delete posts.

(Ace of Hearts, I'm sorry, I've had to hide your post in the meantime. I'll restore it once the 24 hours is up. Hope you understand. :) )

Dan007
02-19-2006, 07:11 AM
I think Murray definitely has Top 10 potential. I don't know about this year, but probably within the next 2 or 3 years.

Yep. Not this year but in next few years. The guy may not be good as Berych, Nadal, or Gasquet but he proved that he can play during Wimbledon last year. He has potential to be top 10 in a few years.

AAUS
02-19-2006, 09:56 AM
Honestly I really didn't see anything in Murray last year, but I also didnt see anything from Nadal the year before that either. The two younger players who impressed me the first time I saw them play were Berdych and Gasquet and theyve been disappointing lately

babbette
02-19-2006, 11:05 AM
You guys make me sick.:mrgreen: There wasn't even an Andy thread until today!

MasterTS
02-19-2006, 12:37 PM
Absolutely. I really think he has the chance to become the primere player in the atp.

Why? Just cause he beat your buddy Wang?

Look, Murray is good but he is no top10 player. Until he can contend well and get deep in slams; first his fitness is in question as well as his endurance. He's body just is not ready for 5 set matches... at least he hasn't proven he's ready in slams yet.. losing to bandy in 5 sets after a two set lead!

Another thing to know is that Murrays game feeds of power players. What happen to Murray last month when he played a grinder like Chela? He lost in straight sets! Against playeres like Ljubicic, Roddick, soderling, and other hard hitters he does okay. Same exact story with wang. Murray fed on the pace wang gave him and wang was stupid for keep on trying to blast balls.

Just watch the Hewitt matchup tonight and see what I mean.

His game matches up well!

Richie Rich
02-19-2006, 01:21 PM
top 10 might be pushing it. although he has no points to defend pre wimbledon his chances are slim. top 20 is a possibility if he plays well in the next few tournaments. i think he will have a tough time on the clay though but you never know - he did train in spain

whealben
02-19-2006, 02:55 PM
Check out the Andy Murray message board [the largest Murray fansite on the web] :
http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=61841&subForumID=163249

Largest fansite? Is it? It's a new one on me. I'll have to check it out.

Andy's goal this year is to make the top twenty. I think he'll take a couple of years before he shows his full potential. This is his first full season on the tour, after all. He was playing Challengers last October.

Phil
02-19-2006, 04:18 PM
He has the potential to become a Top 10 player, but I don't see him winning many (any?) Majors or breaking into the top 3. Mentally, he's a Hewitt type-tough, resiliant, fiesty to the point being annoying and not intimidated by higher-ranking players. He has the baseline game, but what true offensive "weapons" does he have that will push him into the elite category?

He's taller than Hewitt and if he can fill out a bit, he'll give anyone problems for years. But baseliners are a dime a dozen, and even the best ones usually only go so far outside of clay.

BreakPoint
02-19-2006, 08:22 PM
Look, Murray is good but he is no top10 player......

Another thing to know is that Murrays game feeds of power players. What happen to Murray last month when he played a grinder like Chela? He lost in straight sets! Against playeres like Ljubicic, Roddick, soderling, and other hard hitters he does okay. Same exact story with wang. Murray fed on the pace wang gave him and wang was stupid for keep on trying to blast balls.

Just watch the Hewitt matchup tonight and see what I mean.

His game matches up well!

Ahem....as you were saying? :rolleyes:

devila
02-19-2006, 08:39 PM
Murray had 2 match points and had at least 5 chances to break Hewitt's serve for the 6th time. But he missed some easy backhands.
Hewitt was lucky to play 3 sets, but he was arrogant enough to think the match was easy in the 1st set. He was lucky to witness Murray's poor concentration early on. The second set went by fast and Hewitt panicked.

BreakPoint
02-19-2006, 08:44 PM
He has the potential to become a Top 10 player, but I don't see him winning many (any?) Majors or breaking into the top 3. Mentally, he's a Hewitt type-tough, resiliant, fiesty to the point being annoying and not intimidated by higher-ranking players. He has the baseline game, but what true offensive "weapons" does he have that will push him into the elite category?

He's taller than Hewitt and if he can fill out a bit, he'll give anyone problems for years. But baseliners are a dime a dozen, and even the best ones usually only go so far outside of clay.

Well, I was at all of Murray's matches this past week (except the Wang match), and all I can say is that this kid is impressive and not a typical baseliner. He plays with a lot of smarts and patience. He's very good at moving his opponents around the court and he uses the entire court. Hewitt is usually the one that moves his opponents around, but Murray was doing that to Hewitt most of the match. Murray has a lot of variety in his game (much more so than Roddick, but that's not saying a whole lot), and knows how to use drop shots to open up the court. He also has very good passing shots and a big serve.

One thing he does much better than most pros today is setting up the points rather than mindless baseline bashing a la Roddick. He'll keep the ball in play for as long as needed and wait for his opportunity to nail the winner. He did this to Roddick yesterday and he did it to Hewitt several times today. He'll hit 7 or 8 slice backhands in a row and draw Hewitt closer to the baseline and pretty much lull him to sleep, and then all of a sudden - BANG, he hits a backhand crosscout clean winner at twice the pace of his previous 8 shots in that point. It worked for him every time. Just very smart and patient tennis.

Anyway, I found him very refreshing to watch, almost like an old school player. Imagine that, a young 18 year old pro that plays like he has the smarts, patience, and experience in shot making of a, gulp, 47 year old? Murray is like the anti-Bollettieri product. I wish more young pros played with the patience, variety, versatility, court sense, and shot making abilty of Andy Murray.

superman1
02-19-2006, 08:53 PM
From the quality of the Hewitt match and the result of the Roddick match, I see no reason why he couldn't AT LEAST get into the top 20. Gaudio, Coria, Ferrer, and Davydenko could all get booted out of the top 10. The top 10 is pretty open right now, although I am VERY excited to see Safin come back this month. He's rested and now he is preparing himself completely so I don't see any reason why he won't be back at the top by the end of the year.

BreakPoint
02-19-2006, 09:08 PM
Just found this great synopsis of Murray's style of play and how he wins:

While I don’t think that Murray’s going to accomplish that feat, what’s most striking about him are his court management skills. In the spirit of such players Miloslav Mecir, Martina Hingis and Brad Gilbert, he has exceptional anticipation, slithering around the court to get himself into good ballstriking positions. Once set to strike, he has superb variety, mixing up topspin forehands, many a slice backhand and, when appropriate, a powerful two-handed drive. His serve has its ups and downs (Hewitt broke him five times), but on many a tight occasion he can serve with power. He’s quite good at building points: directing serves to corners, using his variety to get opponents off-balance, comfortable with volleys, drop shots and lobs. In short, he creates a lot of mental problems, which as his game grows will also make him a tennis connoisseur’s delight. Says Hewitt, “He hits the ball extremely well, mixes it up quite well. He can dictate when he wants and he’s very good on defense.”
http://www.sapopentennis.com/news/news.asp?story_id=170

Tennis_Nickmo
02-20-2006, 12:16 AM
Maybe top 15, can't see him breaking the ten this season- and I'm British!!!

superman1
02-20-2006, 12:22 AM
Hewitt and Murray were both hitting extremely flat. Murray slices most of his backhands, but his two-hander is exceptional. He passed Hewitt several times on that side. Hewitt was probably striking the ball better, but Murray was able to hit more winners, and he served much better. Hewitt's serve really let him down in the 3rd. In the first set he was serving and playing well, as was Murray, but Hewitt was just the better player. He went away in the second and couldn't quite fight it out in the third. Murray has a lot of talent but he didn't see Hewitt at his very best.

devila
02-20-2006, 12:42 AM
Roddick's brain and little left of Roddick's physical strength disappeared. He served better than Hewitt even as he double faulted several times. The problems are Roddick's weight gain and worsening footspeed. It was more his fault than Murray's great play.

Hewitt's footwork is very good, but he doesn't have any variety at the net or on the baseline. He had an easy draw and the last time he won a title was 15 months ago.

Galactus
02-20-2006, 12:49 AM
Who cares of he won't make Top 10 in 2006? :confused:
I'm looking at Andy Murray circa 2007 and beyond: Slam-winner for sure...

sexmachine
02-20-2006, 01:24 AM
I think he's a definite prospect, so composed for such a young man... Like his game, his attitude and his fire.... Needs to fill out a little as previously mentioned by many, needs to work on his 5 set game that again has been mentioned... I would like to c him go for a few more agressive shot when returning, he's an excellent returner of the ball, he's generally patient and knows when to strike... Really think he's a prospexct for the top ten in the next 3-4 years..

Breaker
02-20-2006, 05:53 AM
I think he'll have a similar year to what Gasquet did last year. Winning a title or two, making it to a few round of 16's at Grand slams, maybe a Masters series semifinal. And upsetting a few top players as he's already done. And probably end up in or very close to the top 20, maybe top 15