PDA

View Full Version : Sampras to play at River Oaks!

BaseLineBash
02-19-2006, 08:58 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3670132.html

oscar_2424
02-19-2006, 09:01 AM
wow, thats a match i want to see

JackRabbit
02-19-2006, 09:02 AM
UNBELIEVABLE! GO PETE! I got to get me some tickets there.

my-add
02-19-2006, 10:02 AM
I hope fed-ex shows up at this tennis match and gives sampras another beat down:p

DariusRaiden
02-19-2006, 10:04 AM
I wonder why he's doing this. Unless it's for charity or something, I am surprised he would step on the court since I thought he wanted to get out of the game forever. He hasn't really been retired long enough to want to get back in the game just for fun. Maybe he still has some competitive fire and has been inspired by the returns of McEnroe and Hingis.

the green god
02-19-2006, 10:06 AM
aren't you late for fourth hour gym class my-add.

sureshs
02-19-2006, 10:11 AM
Testing the waters for the senior tour?

my-add
02-19-2006, 10:17 AM
hey green god- wow, that was so funny!:roll:

kbg
02-19-2006, 10:21 AM
Fantastic. I knew that Pete wouldn't stay away for very long. The past few years I was worried about him because he sounded all idle and burned out, playing lots of poker and being generally disinterested in the sport. I want him to take up commentating or to play on the senior tour, give something back to the sport.

armand
02-19-2006, 10:27 AM
Why doesn't Pete just get together with Edberg, Becker, Courier etc once in a while for a hit?
Or even join the local country club?
Does he really need to enter an ATP event just to play some tennis?

FalconX
02-19-2006, 10:31 AM
actually in the last couple of months he seems to be making more appearances everywhere. It seems like he hasn't been enjoying the lack of attention since the retirement. Let's see what happens. Pete for the US open?

Andres
02-19-2006, 11:14 AM
What about a Wimby comeback?
That would be so awesome :)

mellofelow
02-19-2006, 11:15 AM
I'm guessing they offered him an honorary membership at an fairly exclusive private golf club and that's part of the bargain.

gscone
02-19-2006, 11:21 AM
I hope fed-ex shows up at this tennis match and gives sampras another beat down:p

Gotta love the hate on this board.

West Coast Ace
02-19-2006, 11:25 AM
Green God, not everyone on this board is a 'jump on the bandwagon because he won the most Grand Slams' person. If you can't handle that fact then you should probably go elsewhere.

Isn't this the red clay event? Seems like a weird place for him to resurface. Maybe Mattress Man is handing him a nice appearance fee.

Exile
02-19-2006, 11:28 AM
I wonder what will come of this.

I'd hate for him to come back and be a mediocre player compared to the competition increase.

He is just playing a random dude.

BiGGieStuFF
02-19-2006, 11:32 AM
Sweet!! Right in my city! Now time to see if I can get tickets!!

oscar_2424
02-19-2006, 11:39 AM
could you inagine Sampras playing at Wimbledon??, and getting to the finals?
:)

edberg505
02-19-2006, 11:44 AM
Well, I will be getting tickets for this!

rhubarb
02-19-2006, 11:49 AM
could you inagine Sampras playing at Wimbledon??, and getting to the finals?
:)

That would require an extremely vivid imagination indeed, if not insanity.

At least this is just an exo on clay, and not a comeback as such by Sampras. Bet the opponent will be Roddick.

ACE of Hearts
02-19-2006, 11:51 AM
I wonder how much speed he would lose on his serve?Yeah, Roddick would be a nice opponent for Pete:mrgreen:

oscar_2424
02-19-2006, 12:02 PM
I expect sampras to be a little rusty, ist beeen a long time for him

BreakPoint
02-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Pete must have been encouraged by Johnny Mac's success this week in returning to the tour, and Pete's like what, 12 years younger?

I hope I get a chance to see him play again soon.

Gugafan_Redux
02-19-2006, 12:23 PM
from http://www.riveroaksinternational.com/playerlist.htm

2006 Player List
January 31, 2006

(select player name for bio information)
Robby Ginepri 18 USA
Taylor Dent 31 USA
Dmitry Tursunov 53 Russia
Jurgen Melzer 55 Austria
Paul Goldstein 68 USA
Vince Spadea 73 USA
Luis Horna 81 Peru
Kevin Kim 99 USA
Bobby Reynolds 92 USA
Mardy Fish USA
Mark Philippoussis Australia

JackRabbit
02-19-2006, 12:32 PM
Gugafan, a quote from the article: "Van Barry, director of tennis at River Oaks Country Club, said the contract hasn't yet been signed 'but all parties are on board. We very excited to be bringing Pete back to Houston.'" It's not official yet.

Andres
02-19-2006, 12:34 PM
In 2004, both Jiri Novak and Hugo Armando were CO-CHAMPIONS...

What the hell happened there??

Kobble
02-19-2006, 01:25 PM
This is a big shocker to me. I wish I lived in Texas.

Fedubai
02-19-2006, 01:37 PM
Finally! I too was wondering about Pete, playing poker and stuff, all done with tennis for a while. I guess he couldn't stay away for that long. He should have fun though, that's the point.

sureshs
02-19-2006, 01:41 PM
[QUOTE=Fedubai]Finally! I too was wondering about Pete, playing poker and stuffQUOTE]

stuff = golf

He seems to be into it big time.

Fedubai
02-19-2006, 01:44 PM
So what is this? Is this the mens claycourt championships? But an exhibition for Pete while the tournament is going on, or what?

Jonnyf
02-19-2006, 01:45 PM
In 2004, both Jiri Novak and Hugo Armando were CO-CHAMPIONS...

What the hell happened there??

Rain delay forces first ever Co-Champions to be named.

The 72nd Annual River Oaks tournament begins April 4, 2005

Bottom of the page mate

zorg
02-19-2006, 04:01 PM
Who ever goes to this thing, can you PLEASE get pics of Sampras. I would be interested in what he wears and what racket he uses. I BEG YOU, GET PICS!!

Shaolin
02-19-2006, 05:08 PM
Hard to believe Sampras would resurface to play on clay of all surfaces. Any more info on this?? It would be great to see Pete back even if he was playing on shag carpet.

Tennis_Monk
02-19-2006, 06:08 PM
I checked with Pete. This is just a promotion. Nothing else. Btw he regularly checks out this msg board!!

LN_Dad
02-19-2006, 06:15 PM
Why doesn't Pete just get together with Edberg, Becker, Courier etc once in a while for a hit?
Or even join the local country club?
Does he really need to enter an ATP event just to play some tennis?

I hear he still plays regularly for fun with Alex O'Brien who lives nearby. Gotta stay in shape to look good in LA.:D

BaseLineBash
02-19-2006, 06:45 PM
I know this is a long shot.......but....could Pete be looking for another match up against Roger? You can't say no for sure...and I can't say yes for sure. We all know Pete has a lot of pride. For all those people that believe Pete has stopped playing tennis altogether after his retirement I say "C'mon" and "You cannot be serious!"

zorg
02-19-2006, 06:48 PM
I checked with Pete. This is just a promotion. Nothing else. Btw he regularly checks out this msg board!!
Right...when did you talk to him?

ShooterMcMarco
02-19-2006, 07:25 PM
someone tape it and host it on a server :)

DashaandSafin
02-19-2006, 07:33 PM
Wow. Please someone tape it. Also where did you learn that sampras visits this board?

jings
02-19-2006, 07:45 PM
Word is that he's been in top secret training in South America the last 3 years. Clearly the RG thing is hurting big time in retirement and Pete knows that if he could just squeeze out one RG title his record will be immune to Federer. It's the start of the big comeback trail to RG 2006. Expect to see him on court with a Babolat, bandana and huge fist pumps like you've never seen. Apparently he needed a complete break from the game to hit the gym to look good in a "wife beater" and re-engineer his game to a 16oz Bab oversize strung at 33lbs with kevlar. Go Pete ....

tennistomcat
02-19-2006, 07:56 PM
jings, that post made me crack up. you outta be a sports writer. is this tournament really an exhibition of some sort? there is a draw with prize money isn't there? are there no ATP points involved? I'm really gonna try to make it to this one also if the tickets aren't too tough to get a hold of.

VamosRafa
02-19-2006, 08:07 PM
River Oaks is a terrific event -- a bit high-end, as it's a very posh section of Houston. But it's a nice little event. I'm just surprised that Pete will come back to play an event on CLAY.

I went to a few sessions at River Oaks a few years ago when the USA (including Pete) played Spain in Davis Cup, on grass, at the Mattress Mac venue. Both events were being played at the same time. Maybe Pete got a chance to check out River Oaks while he was there????

West Coast Ace
02-19-2006, 08:38 PM
jings, that post made me crack up. you outta be a sports writer. is this tournament really an exhibition of some sort? there is a draw with prize money isn't there? are there no ATP points involved? I'm really gonna try to make it to this one also if the tickets aren't too tough to get a hold of.The tournament is on the ATP calendar. But from the wording of this announcement, Sampras would just be playing an exhibition. And for all we know he'll just walk out and rally for a few minutes. I can't believe some of you are making this out to be a huge deal.

Jings, that's Post Of The Month Material. :-)

VGP
02-19-2006, 09:15 PM
Clay's a good surface for Sampras to surface on.

It's a no lose situation. It's easier on the body, slows things down a bit so he can get a read on the ball, plus if he wins, then he did good on clay. If he loses, people will say, it's Sampras on clay......

LN_Dad
02-19-2006, 09:39 PM
River Oaks only has clay courts? Any chance they'll set up a hard-court just for his exhibition match?

hyperwarrior
02-19-2006, 09:47 PM
He has Roland-Garros in sight. I can feel his energy!!

superman1
02-19-2006, 09:50 PM
Wow! I was just wondering about this today while watching McEnroe play. "What does Pete Sampras do all day?" I thought it was because he is sick and tired of tennis now, but maybe not. It'll be very interesting to hear about his game now. Maybe he and Federer can play an exhibition one day. And I'm sure Agassi is itching to show Sampras how his game is holding up these days.

raftermania
02-19-2006, 10:14 PM
Clay's a good surface for Sampras to surface on.

It's a no lose situation. It's easier on the body, slows things down a bit so he can get a read on the ball, plus if he wins, then he did good on clay. If he loses, people will say, it's Sampras on clay......

Hehe, ego protection eh?

arosen
02-19-2006, 11:50 PM

Yeah, awesome as in "Pete lost once again in the first round to a household name swiss player George Bastle in the fifth". Cant wait to relive THAT moment of Pete's glory.

Young Pete
02-20-2006, 12:26 AM
Our Wishes Have Been Answered!!

Pete Has About 5 More Years Of Tennis Ahead Of Him...

I Hope He Considers Rg.....

He Did Win The Italian Open.

Go Pete!

Galactus
02-20-2006, 01:46 AM
Ummm...he's 34....he hasn't played in 31/2 years...he's not got the energy to compete with today's baseliners....he won't get far with a Prostaff 6.0...

It sounds like a bad move to me.

Mugatu
02-20-2006, 02:12 AM
maybe he'll play with an nCode 6.1 with a 6.0 paintjob!!

BreakPoint
02-20-2006, 03:00 AM

So what's Pete's screen name?

superman1
02-20-2006, 03:01 AM
I doubt he's coming back. I would actually think that he DOES have the game to play at his age...all he needs is his serve and the fitness to run in on each point, and he's held serve at least. I feel like the reason he diminished when he got older is because he didn't have the drive anymore, he didn't enjoy tennis. If he misses it then expect to see some good exhibitions. If he really misses it then maybe he'll go into doubles with John McEnroe. If he really REALLY misses it then Federer is in trouble.

BreakPoint
02-20-2006, 03:04 AM
How about Pete and Mac teaming up to play doubles on the regular tour? You know Pete would love to play that deuce side with his big forehand.

rhubarb
02-20-2006, 03:10 AM
Sampras hardly played doubles in his career, I wouldn't expect him to start now. McEnroe's much better off sticking with a great doubles player like Jonas Bjorkman.

superman1
02-20-2006, 03:13 AM
Bjorkman will probably want to go back with Mirnyi, at least for Grand Slams.

Galactus
02-20-2006, 04:29 AM
So what's Pete's screen name?
'The G.O.A.T' :mrgreen:

West Coast Ace
02-20-2006, 05:29 AM
If he really REALLY misses it then Federer is in trouble.LOL! Sampras wasn't exactly a workout machine while playing so it's hard to believe he 'misses it' that much to be able to get in the type of shape that would be required to play real tournament tennis. So I doubt Roger is going to have any sleepless nights worrying about his return.

fastdunn
02-20-2006, 10:26 AM
Sampras did played double with McAnroe for Davis Cup.

The news article sounds unclear about whether he is a part of
the draw or he plays one exhibition match....

Skppr05
02-20-2006, 10:32 AM
will this thing be televised?

tennis*bill
02-20-2006, 10:41 AM
This is a quaint country club event. No ATP points are gained, but some prize money to be had. They always have some type of exibition match during the week. It's a great place to watch tennis and the players are very approachable at the event. It is always held the same weekend of the Davis Cup matches so that hurts who will show up. This year it is the week before the Clay Courts in Houston so you can see the same guys 2 weeks in a row.
Sometimes the finals are televised for River Oaks.
I'll be there.

rhubarb
02-20-2006, 10:44 AM
The whole thing is an exo.

Lee
02-20-2006, 10:47 AM
UPDATE:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3671524.html

Apparently Sampras is playing Donald Young. Interesting..

Pomeranian
02-20-2006, 10:51 AM
I'm really interested in how his game is now. I really want to watch that match, if anyone is going to be there it would be great if you could tape it and put a file here. I know not a lot of people will have a camcorder that can save the file on the computer but just wishful thinking.

BiGGieStuFF
02-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Now if someone could just get the day and session so I can buy the right tickets.

VGP
02-20-2006, 12:33 PM
I hope that Sampras mentors the younger players. I get the impression that he'd be a good role model.

West Coast Ace
02-20-2006, 05:16 PM
I hope that Sampras mentors the younger players. I get the impression that he'd be a good role model.Some of your info about Sampras is not accurate. He's not a 'people' person - he's not outgoing enough.

He set a good example for how pro athletes should carry themself - e.g. show up ready to play, act like an adult on court, and don't get in the police blotter during off weeks.

Agassi would be better working with younger players.

federerforever
02-20-2006, 07:00 PM
This is Sampras first step in preparing to finaly win his first French Open this year.

armand
02-20-2006, 07:26 PM
Wow, Sampras is playing a child half his age. Yowza!
federerfornever: good one

EDIT: This tournament has no ATP points to offer? That's weird. How come a lot of top players play it?

arnz
02-20-2006, 07:37 PM
He probably still has that big serve, although the rest may not be the same.

superman1
02-20-2006, 07:42 PM
He must be in good condition to be going out with his racquet in public again. I'm sure the serve and all the shots are still there, the problem will probably be with consistency and lack of match play.

buder
02-20-2006, 08:04 PM
this is just a random exhibition, nothing to do with the tour or touring or anything. Probably a favor; I'm sure it won't be very serious or intense, like most non-tour stuff.

Sampras seems pretty obsessed with his image. Like Jordan, he needs to be considered the best ever. Unlike Jordan, he doesn't have the courage to risk returning. There is no way in one billion years he would come close the tour.

With Federer appraoching in the rear view mirror, Pete got out of town the minute he beat Andre in Queens.

Don't get too excited about this. It's going to be 90% light-hearted entertainment, and 10% photo-ops.

sarpmas
02-20-2006, 10:17 PM
Maybe Pete is inspired by Fed and the itch is back! ;) I'm not reading too much into this 'return' though, I think Pete is just going to enjoy himself and have some fun.

What will be his level? Will Pete be using a new racket? I'm very eager to find out...

VGP
02-20-2006, 10:20 PM
So....hmmm, what racket?

Wilson PS 85 St. Vincent
Wilson PS Tour 90
Ncode Tour 90 pj of a PS 85 (like Courier)

http://www.samprasfanz.com/gallery/2003others/ucla4.jpg

VGP
02-20-2006, 10:29 PM
With Federer appraoching in the rear view mirror, Pete got out of town the minute he beat Andre in Queens.

I don't think Pete was worrying about Federer.

Federer wasn't a major factor in 2002. Despite his win over Pete in '01.

Sampras got out of town because he was ****ed at not winning a tourney for over two years, ****ed at the media for constantly reminding him of it, and grateful for being able to go out with a big win.

He did start to train for Wimbledon of '03 and probably had switched to the PS Tour 90 too. But he took a break and then found the motivation was gone.....faded away.

MTXR
02-20-2006, 10:51 PM
Oh if he played donald young, he will annihilate young i think.

superman1
02-20-2006, 11:14 PM
It was lack of desire. Federer right not would have had as tough a time as any against Sampras when he was loving tennis.

As you said, Sampras is like Jordan, he needs to retain his image and legacy. He's not going to go out there to get rolled over by some punk kid named Donald Young, even if it is for fun. His serve will be hitting lines.

BaseLineBash
02-21-2006, 12:20 AM
None of us know what Pete's motives are, but one thing is for sure...expect the greatest serve in tennis history to be in full force.

Galactus
02-21-2006, 06:43 AM
None of us know what Pete's motives are, but one thing is for sure...expect the greatest serve in tennis history to be in full force.
Hmmm...never seen a male player come out of retirement and do well in singles. Players who had long breaks with injuries can make a successful comeback like Rafter or Haas, after shoulder surgeries and to a lesser extent Ivanisevic. A one and done.

This exhibition aside, and regardless of his serve being up-to-scratch, if Sampras makes any further clay court comebacks this season, IŽd put money on any top 20 ATP player to get him out in straight sets with Pete not winning more than ten games.

fastdunn
02-23-2006, 12:01 PM
So....hmmm, what racket?

Wilson PS 85 St. Vincent
Wilson PS Tour 90
Ncode Tour 90 pj of a PS 85 (like Courier)

http://www.samprasfanz.com/gallery/2003others/ucla4.jpg

Yeah, that's the question. I pick St. Vincent with no paint job.

BiGGieStuFF
03-14-2006, 09:27 PM
Reminder: Tickets for exhibition goes on sale tomorrow.