PDA

View Full Version : French youngsters have not arrived yet

Progressive10s
02-19-2006, 03:52 PM
Gasquet and Monfils went out early to their compatriots, Clement and Grosjean in the Open 13 tournament in France. Gasquet, especially has a tremendous upside, but neither player is yet producing consistent results. Nadal's 2005 was a statement year, but I am waiting for some of the former top juniors like Gasquet, Monfils, and even Baghdatis to produce consistent results.

tennissavy
02-20-2006, 09:45 PM
Gasquet and Monfils are over-hyped. They are good players but not great players and they have choking problems.

fishuuuuu
02-20-2006, 09:48 PM
Gasquet and Monfils are over-hyped. They are good players but not great players and they have choking problems.

Gasquet is but 19, he has time to grow, look at Federer ... he didn't come into his own for a couple years after that. Gasquet was at the height of his game in the junior leagues, and I expect something similar in the ATP (if he's not already there) At 19 years old, I wish I was playing as #17 in the world.

J-man
02-21-2006, 04:15 AM
i agree give the french youngters some time. they will grow out of it and become better players. all young tennage players have problems like this. and they eventually just get better and learn how to handle the situtation better.

sexmachine
02-21-2006, 09:50 AM
They require more time, think gasquet can do good things, not so sure bout monfils, baghdatis i think has the furthest to go despite his recent success.... But i think that they'll all be in the top 20 in the next 2-3 years...

MonkeyPox
02-21-2006, 10:34 AM
I met Gasquet's training partner at my gym when they were here and he told me that the French were lazy, being French himself. He also said they like to eat, drink and smoke and that was just the way they were and were OK with it. Not a good sign.

tennissavy
02-21-2006, 10:44 AM
Gasquet is but 19, he has time to grow, look at Federer ... he didn't come into his own for a couple years after that. Gasquet was at the height of his game in the junior leagues, and I expect something similar in the ATP (if he's not already there) At 19 years old, I wish I was playing as #17 in the world.
Well, I agree that they are young. They might turn things around and become mentally tougher but for now they are not living up to the hype and they are mentally fragile in tight matches.

fishuuuuu
02-21-2006, 01:31 PM
They require more time, think gasquet can do good things, not so sure bout monfils, baghdatis i think has the furthest to go despite his recent success.... But i think that they'll all be in the top 20 in the next 2-3 years...

Gasquet has already done that. ;)

Well, I agree that they are young. They might turn things around and become mentally tougher but for now they are not living up to the hype and they are mentally fragile in tight matches.

I'll keep my fingers crossed, Gasquet recently showed that he has the mentality to fight during his last Davis Cup Rubber against Tommy Haas (a five set match), who just previously beat him in R128 of the Australian Open in straight sets. He was thoroughly outplayed and just plain defeated in the first set by a margin of 6-1 but managed to fight his way to a victory despite such a tremendously bad start (and rude crowd).

I'd say, for the time being Gasquet deserves any "hype" he is getting.

West Coast Ace
02-21-2006, 05:13 PM
I met Gasquet's training partner at my gym when they were here and he told me that the French were lazy, being French himself. He also said they like to eat, drink and smoke and that was just the way they were and were OK with it. Not a good sign.That is bad.

But even if Gasquet doesn't win a Slam, he still has a better backhand than Roddick. He'll always have that going for him. :-) Sorry, I couldn't resist. It's physically impossible for me to make more than 20 posts without making fun of Roddick's backhand. I have a doctor's note. :-)

Progressive10s
03-09-2006, 03:14 AM
I was impressed by Gasquet's backhand that took Federer out of Monte Carlo last year. He has the shots, but does he have the heart of a champion.

Poolio
03-09-2006, 03:47 AM
To be honest from what I have seen of Monfils so far I struggle to see how he will even be a regular top 20 player.

His athleticism is his main asset but his shots are nothing special. His forecourt game and his volleying are atrocious.

Gasquet is a far more talented player and if he applies himself can go to the top!

vive le beau jeu !
03-09-2006, 06:09 AM
He has the shots, but does he have the heart of a champion.
he still collapses... but i hope he will soon have !
as "suuuuuuushi" said, he seems to have played an impressive 5 sets match vs haas (davis cup)
and what a talent he has... would be great if he can totally use it :)

baghdatis has also already the shots, in a different style... and about the heart, in australia no doubt he showed us he has a big big big one !!! :D

monfils i don't know so much... sure he will be good, but i see him less good than the two others... less talent ?

At 19 years old, I wish I was playing as #17 in the world.
how much did you take for climbing at #17 ? ;)