PDA

View Full Version : Are There Any Gay Proffesional Tennis Players?

drp2345
02-19-2006, 08:18 PM
*I dont know how else to phrase the title.

Other than Mauresmo are there any other tennis pros that are gay? Obviously, I know Martina Navratilova is but are there any others that anyone knows of? Just out of curiosity.

raftermania
02-19-2006, 08:41 PM
Yeah, there is a link of them here:

http://shorterlink.com/?BHA2PN

DaveGrable
02-19-2006, 09:46 PM
Jan Michael Gambil and Sanchez-Vicario are the only other ones I know of.

andyroddick's mojo
02-19-2006, 10:46 PM
wow, mauresmo is gay?? i did not know that, I too was wondering the same question, seeing as how i don't really see how the pros act offcourt, just on court.

drp2345
02-19-2006, 10:59 PM
I didn't know that Gambill was gay. Yea Mauresmo publicly announced it at the Australian Open once i think it was. I could be wrong but im pretty sure thats where.

Fee
02-19-2006, 11:07 PM
I didn't know that Gambill was gay.

You still don't. Feel free to ask him directly if you ever see him at a tournament, he just loves that question.

hammer
02-19-2006, 11:26 PM
I believe Gigi Fernandez and Conchita Martinez were once linked together as lesbian lovers if I'm not mistaken.

raftermania
02-19-2006, 11:29 PM
... uh, on second thought, forget i said that!!!

edberg505
02-20-2006, 12:00 AM

Dude, Sanchez-Vicario was married!

Phil
02-20-2006, 12:12 AM

Coming from our resident racist troll, this isn't exactly "documented" information, so I'd take it with less than a half grain of salt.

No sources or links to this "information"; must be Dave, just talking out of his butt again...

Jess
02-20-2006, 12:24 AM
It's odd, because I was searching on Yahoo for some pics of Mauresmo earlier today (I wanted to make some tennis graphics for my MySpace) and I came across a couple photos of her kissing another woman. I know it's a very common thing in France for girls/guys to kiss other girls as a greeting, but they were full-on kisses. After reading this thread, I tried to find the pics again on Yahoo Search but I can't seem to find them. (I looked at a lot of tennis photo galleries today, but I could've sworn they were on Yahoo...)

Anyways, I looked it up and I found an interesting article about it, including just a smidge of bad publicity on Martin Hingis' part regarding Amelie's homosexuality. It looks like an old article, but I suppose most of it still holds true today.

Here's the article. (http://www.women.it/les/magazine/mauresmo-e.htm)

Mauresmo is one of my favorite players and I didn't know about her orientation until today, but all the same, I don't think many, if any, of her fans will be dissuaded from her based on something as trivial as sexuality.

Warriorroger
02-20-2006, 12:57 AM
This can't be I AM THE ONLY GAY IN THE VILLAGE

pound cat
02-20-2006, 04:02 AM
Dude, Sanchez-Vicario was married!

There are many gay people who are/were married. Yes, it's true.

West Coast Ace
02-20-2006, 04:19 AM
Anyways, I looked it up and I found an interesting article about it, including just a smidge of bad publicity on Martin Hingis' part regarding Amelie's homosexuality. It looks like an old article, but I suppose most of it still holds true today.

Here's the article. (http://www.women.it/les/magazine/mauresmo-e.htm)

Mauresmo is one of my favorite players and I didn't know about her orientation until today, but all the same, I don't think many, if any, of her fans will be dissuaded from her based on something as trivial as sexuality.You obviously, and correctly, focused on her tennis and not what she does off the court. Really nobody's business.

But yes, Hingis did make some disparaging remarks about Mauresmo when Mauresmo made her run to the AO final years ago.

omniexist
02-20-2006, 04:49 AM
Yeah, something about being "half a man". And hey, some of you people didn't know Amelie was gay? Sheesh! That's been common knowledge for YEARS.

Andres
02-20-2006, 06:10 AM
I believe Sabatini is gay too... it's a very strong rumor in here...
Let me check and I'll confirm...

Andres
02-20-2006, 06:13 AM
Yeah, it's official. Gaby Sabatini is gay too :p

breakfast_of_champions
02-20-2006, 06:15 AM
only about half the wta

babbette
02-20-2006, 09:31 AM
Gambill is gay?!!!!!!! There's no ****** way.

mislav
02-20-2006, 09:54 AM
I believe Sabatini is gay too... it's a very strong rumor in here...
Let me check and I'll confirm...
Just how did you check this? Did she manage to resist your charm? j/k :mrgreen:

Lee
02-20-2006, 09:59 AM
hahahahaha it takes 3 minutes for Andres to check if Sabatini is gay
can you check if Nadal is gay too? what about Lopez?

hyperwarrior
02-20-2006, 10:06 AM
I knew it when she was finalist at the Aussie Open in 1999. She told everyone...

Ace&Gary
02-20-2006, 10:53 AM
This can't be I AM THE ONLY GAY IN THE VILLAGE

Gary: I think Talk Tennis has a couple more gays in the village?:p

Ace: Maybe we are the tennis VILLAGE PEOPLE?;)

8PAQ
02-20-2006, 10:56 AM
Gary: I think Talk Tennis has a couple more gays in the village?:p

Ace: Maybe we are the tennis VILLAGE PEOPLE?;)

http://img69.exs.cx/img69/1624/gay3br.gif

vllockhart
02-20-2006, 11:00 AM
Who cares? Can't anyone just be a player or an actor without being a gay player or gay actor? Ad nauseum with this gay fever already.

stalliondan
02-20-2006, 11:06 AM
in my dreams, Sharapova and Kournikova, and they hook up together

Ace&Gary
02-20-2006, 11:16 AM

Ace: Hook up to play tennis?:confused:

Gary: Could Amelie play with them too?;)

Morpheus
02-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Since approximately 5% to 10% of the general population is gay, then approximately 5% to 10% of professional tennis players are gay.

Fee
02-20-2006, 11:29 AM
I love Ace and Gary. :)

Fee
02-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Since approximately 5% to 10% of the general population is gay, then approximately 5% to 10% of professional tennis players are gay.

Where did you get those numbers? I think it's actually closer to 2-3% of the population, male and female.

Gazz
02-20-2006, 12:07 PM
lol - Gambill aint gay is he? didn't he go out with Sarah Michelle Gellar??

Fee
02-20-2006, 12:13 PM
Yes, he went out with Gellar two or three times.

babbette
02-20-2006, 12:15 PM
^^ so she turned him gay?::confused:

Gazz
02-20-2006, 12:21 PM
^^ so she turned him gay?::confused:

lol - i was thinking that! just didn't say it...i guess if going out with her turns someone gay, they must be pretty screwed up - lol

anyway - i would be very surprised if JMG is gay...it doesn't matter anyway - especially seeing no-one here even seems to like his tennis any more - he seems really unpopular for a number of reasons...

my brother said he's heard some rumours of Massu and Gonzales being gay...lol! again - i doubt that - surely Gonzo's too popular with the ladies to be gay for a start lol

Fee
02-20-2006, 12:22 PM
Someone here still likes him, and his tennis...

Gazz
02-20-2006, 12:24 PM
Someone here still likes him, and his tennis...

good to know - i guessed i'd get some stick for the comment, but i have seen alot of posts against him - i like his game too, particularly that 2 handed forehand! it's quality!

ta11geese3
02-20-2006, 12:31 PM

Not quite... because tennis players are not a fair representation of the population... especially when you consider that they are all top athletes or something, there's probably some lurking variables or bias...

jackcrawford
02-20-2006, 12:32 PM
Bill Tilden, arguably the greatest player ever, was a homosexual - a "6" on the Kinsey scale. It has nothing to do with effeminacy - Ernst Rohm, head of Hitler's brownshirts and one of the physically toughest and most violent men ever to live, was also.

Donnie Darko
02-20-2006, 12:33 PM

I think maybe you need to go back to statistics class....

Grigollif1
02-20-2006, 12:41 PM
I suspect that this topic is going to Last for a long time.... :rolleyes:

arky-tennis
02-20-2006, 12:48 PM
The only one i know about is Mausesmo.

BTW, fifty percent of stats are made up on the spot!

Grimjack
02-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Is one technically gay or not if one is biologically female, and dating a male professional football player -- let's just say LaVar Arrington for argument's sake -- yet one has a surplus of testosterone in one's own system?

Shades of grey, here.

gaspard
02-20-2006, 12:53 PM
The only one i know about is Mausesmo.

Haha, I've heard this one before.

Gaspard

croatian sensation
02-20-2006, 12:55 PM
I also know only of Mauresmo.
Anyway..who cares...gay or straight.

TennisAsAlways
02-20-2006, 01:07 PM
According to Amercan men (Of course, not "ALL" but the majority. If you go out often to sports bars and such then you'd know.), all male tennis players are gay yuppies.

As an American, do I call male tennis players gay and make fun of them?....No. Do people make fun of me because I play tennis?.......No. Why?.....because I also play tough-guy sports.

I feel sorry for the skinny whimpy guys who only play tennis and other non-contact sports who live in the US. :D

Good day now. 8)

ezdude1970
02-20-2006, 01:09 PM
reading all this kind of brought some memories of 40 year old virgin!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cal: [David and Cal Playing a video Game] You're *gay* now?
David: No, I'm not gay I'm just celibate.
Cal: I think? I mean, that sounds ga- I just want you to know this is like the first conversation of like three conversations that leads to you being gay. Like... there's this and then in a year it's like, "Oh you know, I kinda wanna, ya know, get back out there but I think I like guys" and then there's the big, "Oh I'm I'm a g-gay guy now".
David: You're gay for saying that.
Cal: I'm gay for saying that?
David: You know how I know you're gay?
Cal: How? How do you know I'm gay?
David: Because you macramed yourself a pair of jean shorts.
Cal: You know how I know *you're* gay? You just told me you're not sleeping with women any more.
David: You know how I know that you're gay?
Cal: How? Cuz you're gay? and you can tell who other gay people are.
David: You know how I know you're gay?
Cal: How?
David: You like Coldplay.

Grigollif1
02-20-2006, 01:27 PM
According to Amercan men (Of course, not "ALL" but the majority. If you go out often to sports bars and such then you'd know.), all male tennis players are gay yuppies.

As an American, do I call male tennis players gay and make fun of them?....No. Do people make fun of me because I play tennis?.......No. Why?.....because I also play tough-guy sports.

I feel sorry for the skinny whimpy guys who only play tennis and other non-contact sports who live in the US. :D

Good day now. 8)

It's funny that Non-contact sport may be consider "gayer" then another where in order to make a living out of it, you got to know how to Grab a Guy really good.

Donnie Darko
02-20-2006, 01:36 PM
Is one technically gay or not if one is biologically female, and dating a male professional football player -- let's just say LaVar Arrington for argument's sake -- yet one has a surplus of testosterone in one's own system?

Shades of grey, here.

More like shades of not making any sense.......in regards to your post, that is.

TennisAsAlways
02-20-2006, 01:40 PM
It's funny that Non-contact sport may be consider "gayer" then another where in order to make a living out of it, you got to know how to Grab a Guy really good.Yeah, well I suppose what justifies the "non-gayness" is the crushing of the opponents. ie:football and hockey Of course in football, it sucks to be the Center and QB when it's time hike the ball (with the exception when lined up in a shotgun formation). As far as hockey, I don't see anything awkward in that sport.

Good day now. 8)

Grigollif1
02-20-2006, 01:47 PM
I don't really car of what some called "toguh" American guys thinks about tennis at a sport bar, Honestly who does? I am aware that some guys in the U.S consider soccer to be a feminine sport.. How ignorant is that?
Go tell John McEnroe or Marat Safin that Tennis is a "Yuupy" Sport.....

TennisAsAlways
02-20-2006, 01:48 PM
I don't really car of what some called "toguh" American guys thinks about tennis at a sport bar, Honestly who does? I am aware that some guys in the U.S consider soccer to be a feminine sport.. How ignorant is that?
Go tell John McEnroe or Marat Safin that Tennis is a "Yuupy" Sport.....Whoa. You "seem" to be offended all of a sudden. If so then you should simmer down. No one is attacking you. Also, just for your own good, if I were you then I would not speak in a tone that "could" make others think that I am an anti-American.

Good day now. 8)

lynnlovestennis
02-20-2006, 01:51 PM
For the record:

Renae Stubbs is gay.
Gabriela Sabatini is not. (lord, i wish!)

And, wtf does it matter anyway? :)

Grigollif1
02-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Yeah, well I suppose what justifies the "non-gayness" is the crushing of the opponents. ie:football and hockey Of course in football, it sucks to be the Center and QB when it's time hike the ball (with the exception when lined up in a shotgun formation). As far as hockey, I don't see anything awkward in that sport.

Good day now. 8)

Lol... Are you trying to generate controversy? You are the one that came out with the: "tough American Man" that believe that all tennis players are Yuppy and Makes fun of them. Also, That you feel Sorry For the guys Living in the U.S that don't play a "tough Guy" sport. (as you exactly put it) and now is telling me that about anti -amreican, because I don't give a damn about their Ignorance?

My High School Couch was a Football maniac. In fact the tough Amrerican Sport bar guy as you described it and guess what? he Loved Tennis so much that he was the main couch of Football and Tennis as well. It is not uncommon to find the so called "Macho crowd" Playing tennis and loving it...
I am sorry if I am jumping the gun here but, I find this sterotypes ridiculous.

Have a good day now :cool:

babbette
02-20-2006, 02:07 PM
Imagine if Sharapova was gay? You'd like that right?;)

Morpheus
02-20-2006, 02:11 PM
Not quite... because tennis players are not a fair representation of the population... especially when you consider that they are all top athletes or something, there's probably some lurking variables or bias...

Agreed, sample bias is probable, but I wonder why one would expect a relationship between giftedness in tennis and a genetic predisposition toward homosexuality (or the reverse).

TennisAsAlways
02-20-2006, 02:21 PM
Lol... Are you trying to generate controversy? You are the one that came out with the: "tough American Man" that believe that all tennis players are Yuppy and Makes fun of them. Also, That you feel Sorry For the guys Living in the U.S that don't play a "tough Guy" sport. (as you exactly put it) and now is telling me that about anti -amreican, because I don't give a damn about their Ignorance?

My High School Couch was a Football maniac. In fact the tough Amrerican Sport bar guy as you described it and guess what? he Loved Tennis so much that he was the main couch of Football and Tennis as well. It is not uncommon to find the so called "Macho crowd" Playing tennis and loving it...
I am sorry if I am jumping the gun here but, I find this sterotypes ridiculous.

Have a good day now :cool:Lol... Are you trying to generate controversy?Not at all. It just seemed as if you were offended and that perhaps something I mentioned may have triggered an old childhood memory of yours of people making fun of you -- and so that could have been why you were over-reacting.

You are the one that came out with the: "tough American Man" that believe that all tennis players are Yuppy and Makes fun of them. Also, That you feel Sorry For the guys Living in the U.S that don't play a "tough Guy" sport.Well you are under the wrong impression, that's all. It just happened to be that you didn't take it all in the light-hearted way -- in accordance with my intentions. You took everthing I stated a bit literally and may have been seeking to be offended -- rather than being reasonable by understanding that words can be misinterpretated. Perhaps you were looking for a reason to be offended and so with what was available, you made it into things to be offended about. All a misunderstanding.

Good day now. 8)

arnz
02-20-2006, 02:35 PM
Not at all. It just seemed as if you were offended and that perhaps something I mentioned may have triggered an old childhood memory of yours of people making fun of you -- and so so now you're over-reacting.

It just happened to be that you didn't take it all in the light-hearted way -- in accordance with my intentions.

Good day now. 8)

I declare tennis a gay sport..now Grigoliff and TennisAsAlways kiss and make up :)

Honestly though, TennisAsAlways post was supposed to create the kind of reaction you just had Grigoliff, as evidenced by his response to you (childhood memories? come on). The bait was the "i'm sorry for all the wimpy nerds" line. He either did that to get somebody's goat, or because he is actually insecure in himself for playing a "gay yuppie" sport and has to justify himself by saying he plays tough guy games also, whatever, but you fell for it.

TennisAsAlways
02-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Honestly though, TennisAsAlways post was supposed to create the kind of reaction you just had Grigoliff, as evidenced by his responseActually no. And for one thing, I don't know why you are making a "claim" of what "my" intention(s) is/ are?

You stated, "TennisAsAlways post was supposed to create the kind of reaction.....". "Supposed" to? What makes you so sure what my post was "SUPPOSE" to do? You think you know everything? It was suppose to be something that some people could relate to in a funny kind of way-- how tennis is so unpopular here in the US and how NFL, NBL, NHL, and NBA dominates.

First I told Grigoliff not to cause controversy ("if" he made comments that "could" make him "look" like an anti-American), then he took things the wrong way and was under the impression that I "may" have been tryin to cause controversy. Everything was all a misunderstanding. Things have already been settled until you came along. It sounds like you are the one trying to stir up trouble in a passive way by making it look as though you are only acting as an interpreter (an instigator is what you actually are).

Andres
02-20-2006, 02:56 PM
hahahahaha it takes 3 minutes for Andres to check if Sabatini is gay
can you check if Nadal is gay too? what about Lopez?

The rummors are very strong in ARG about her homosexuality, and Googling, I found out at least 1.500 websites which confirmed the rummors, out of her own mouth :)

quest01
02-20-2006, 03:01 PM
I know this may be an odd question but should gays be allowed to play in the ATP or WTA? The only reason i ask this because allowing openly gays could cause violence. It could be a way of protecting gays if you didnt allow them to play in professional tennis touraments. Personally i feel its alright if gays play tennis professionally.

slice bh compliment
02-20-2006, 03:05 PM

Absolutely correct...and rather obvious, actually.
Heck, 89 percent of all sports fans and 98% of all tennis players knew that!

TennisAsAlways
02-20-2006, 03:06 PM
Mr Guazzelli, when is your next tournament?

jlui21
02-20-2006, 03:14 PM
I know this may be an odd question but should gays be allowed to play in the ATP or WTA? The only reason i ask this because allowing openly gays could cause violence. It could be a way of protecting gays if you didnt allow them to play in professional tennis touraments. Personally i feel its alright if gays play tennis professionally.

I find this rather interesting b.c we've had close to 50 posts in one day on this very topic - the most posts I've seen in one day on TW.

Anyway, I don't think homosexuality would cause any upheaval in today's age. Look at how Spain like so many other countries have allowed same sex marriage. And based on what others have said, if Mauresmo and Navratilova admitted being homosexual in the 70s and 90s respectively, then the world of tennis will not start now. Although I am against the practice of it, I don't think you should ban someone from playing or hate someone simply because of their sexuality...

35ft6
02-20-2006, 03:46 PM
Absolutely correct...and rather obvious, actually.
Heck, 89 percent of all sports fans and 98% of all tennis players knew that! But statistics, even if made up on the spot, are right 70% of the time all the time!

Viper
02-20-2006, 05:03 PM
I've always thought for some stange reason that Fedex was bisexual.

Andres
02-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Mr Guazzelli, when is your next tournament?

3rd week in March ;)

TennisAsAlways
02-20-2006, 05:18 PM
3rd week in March ;)Continue your tournament thread so that we know what's up. We'd like to see your 1st place trophy pic.

Good day now. 8)

Bogie
02-20-2006, 05:26 PM
karolina sprem is along with about half the wta tour.

Fee
02-20-2006, 09:06 PM

Martina Navratilova has been out for ages and there has been no violence at any of her matches (nor those of Lisa Raymond or Amelie Mauresmo). There are gay people everywhere, including in your life even if you don't know it. Banning them from one sport would not only be ridiculous but it wouldn't change or solve anything.

RiosTheGenius
02-20-2006, 09:25 PM
this is pretty sick you guys

Jess
02-20-2006, 10:18 PM
I've read bits and pieces in various places about gay players coming out to the public and then sort of fizzing away shortly afterwards, career-wise. Is this right? Were there any specific players who got negative responses from it? And if so, why has Mauresmo escaped this negativity?

I've always thought of tennis as a very big sport, the kind that involves, more or less, everyone and based on the vast diversity involved, I thought maybe our sport would be able to avoid any sort of gay negativity. I understand that a few people do not reflect the entire sport all-together, but it's kind of sad to see homosexuality even being an issue. Whenever the gay topic comes up in anything, chances are that it has basically nothing to do with the subject itself. Like orientation to tennis. There's no connection at all. And still, there are snappy little remarks that appear from seemingly nowhere.

Reading the remark Hingis made at Mauresmo really made me think twice about her as a person. Tennis is a sport, but I'm in it for the players as much as I am for the game. People say that Clijsters is one of the nicest players ever and that her nice'ness is half her appeal. I agree, nice'ness is definitely a factor in gaining fans. You can't be unlikable in a person-to-person sport like tennis. And seeing that snarky side of Hingis took me back a bit. I used to be a big fan of her game, I still think her strategy is great, but she, as a person, just isn't there for me anymore. I wonder how many players lose fans this way.

Phil
02-20-2006, 10:35 PM
this is pretty sick you guys

Ahhh...not really, not if you're a straight male or a g-ay female.

superman1
02-20-2006, 11:11 PM
I often comment about Mauresmo's mannish looks to friends, but Hingis must have been very foolish to have said that publically. She's a bit brash, I think, but still seems to be a good person.

DaveGrable
02-20-2006, 11:20 PM
It's not a big deal for a lesbian to come out in public. Billy Jean King and Navratoliva already paved this way. For a man, however, it would be a big deal, even today. That's why Gambil is keeping a low profile. If he came out now, it would cause tons of press and he'd probably be unpopular with male fans... especially in the Red states of America. He'd be known as "that gay player" instead of "that player who looks like he might be gay".

Deuce
02-21-2006, 12:11 AM
It's quite the social phenomenon that so many people are so interested in the sexuality of persons they will never know personally.

It's mind-boggling, in fact.

boughtmypoints
02-21-2006, 12:36 AM
It is pretty much out in the open that it is Sanchez Vicario's brother and coach, Emilio, that is gay. The best Spaniard of his generation, his tennis success was later overshadowed by the Armada.

ssuHeartsRivald
02-21-2006, 01:02 AM
Amelie Malesbo has no place in my fantasy! Only sharapova and kournikova.

the world is crazy now

Warriorroger
02-21-2006, 01:27 AM
I've always thought for some stange reason that Fedex was bisexual.

Yep, I have that same feeling too, he seems like a guy who wouldn't turn a great looking guy down. I think he is.

35ft6
02-21-2006, 04:20 AM
If I were gay, being a pro tennis player would be sweet. It seems like a great sport to be gay in. You're not on a team, you get to travel alone, a lot of the tour takes place in countries that are less homophobic than America.

Rickson
02-21-2006, 05:06 AM
*I dont know how else to phrase the title.

Other than Mauresmo are there any other tennis pros that are gay? Obviously, I know Martina Navratilova is but are there any others that anyone knows of? Just out of curiosity.
Hello! Tennis! I think you know the answer.

Here's a name that strikes fear in female opponents at the end of a match. Kim Clijsters.

lynnlovestennis
02-21-2006, 05:19 AM
Interestingly enough, Sections IV A.2.a & b of the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour 2006 Official Rulebook (http://www.wtatour.com/global/pdfs/shared/thewtatour/officialrules/rules.pdf) (pdf) include some interesting new clauses this year: Gender Verification and Transsexuality.

The WTA Tour shall have the right to require a player to submit to gender verification to determine sexual status… In the event that the gender of a player is questioned, the medical delegate shall have the authority to take all appropriate measures for the determination of the gender of a player.

If that were not humiliating enough, the rule goes on to state that “All tests will be at the expense of the player.” Nice, eh?

IV.A.2.b includes clauses for gonadectomy and hormonal therapy.

I’m genuinely curious: Did the WTA have a problem with Tranny’s or are they just looking forward to something? What crackpipe hitting lawyer thought this crap up?

slice bh compliment
02-21-2006, 05:34 AM
......Iím genuinely curious: Did the WTA have a problem with Trannyís or are they just looking forward to something?....
You mean besides Richard Raskind / Renee Richards all those years ago?

Grimjack
02-21-2006, 05:41 AM
If I were gay, being a pro tennis player would be sweet. It seems like a great sport to be gay in. You're not on a team, you get to travel alone, a lot of the tour takes place in countries that are less homophobic than America.

Also, lots of blokes are prancing around in shorts.

pound cat
02-21-2006, 07:07 AM
Yep, I have that same feeling too, he seems like a guy who wouldn't turn a great looking guy down. I think he is.

I always had the strange feeling he was aesexual.... Mirka's the one who's sexy.

sureshs
02-21-2006, 08:32 AM
It is not widely known, but Bill Tilden was gay. In fact, he is still considered the only known male gay player in any sport who made it to the highest level.

sureshs
02-21-2006, 08:34 AM
Reading the remark Hingis made at Mauresmo really made me think twice about her as a person.

Margaret Court did that to the other Martina a long time ago.

slice bh compliment
02-21-2006, 08:44 AM
It is not widely known, but Bill Tilden was gay. In fact, he is still considered the only known male gay player in any sport who made it to the highest level.

...also a pedophile.

urban
02-21-2006, 08:53 AM
Von Cramm, despite his strange marriage with Barbara Hutton, was also gay, and had once an affair with a Jewish actor in the 30s. The Hitler-regime therefor - and for political reasons - sent him to prison and later to the East-front in Russia.

MonkeyPox
02-21-2006, 09:15 AM
Sabatini is the most classic example of a lipstick lesbian I've ever seen.

Heard Courier and Gambill, but who knows or cares, especially if they don't want to come out, then why should gay people want to claim them, doubt they'd be great role models for them.

sureshs
02-21-2006, 09:24 AM
...also a pedophile.

He was jailed twice in Philadelphia for it. It was phrased in a different way in those days. But somewhere I have read that those were trumped up charges since they could not do anything to him otherwise, as he hailed from a well known family (grandfather was President, etc.).

slice bh compliment
02-21-2006, 10:51 AM
He was jailed twice in Philadelphia for it....).

Yeah, Tilden jailed in Philadelphia. So much irony. The city of brotherly love. A movie with Tom Hanks that revolved around a gay character with AIDS.

But I think the most ironic Tilden/Philly connection is that Big Bill played part of his career missing much of his MIDDLE FINGAH. Da most ubiquitous finger in all of Philly, yo!

Kidding. Could've said that about Jersey, NY or Boston. Just a little ribbing from a fellow east coast kid.

pound cat
02-21-2006, 12:36 PM
Where did you get those numbers? I think it's actually closer to 2-3% of the population, male and female.

It's actually closer to 10%. Search it on ask.com

pound cat
02-21-2006, 12:41 PM
It's quite the social phenomenon that so many people are so interested in the sexuality of persons they will never know personally.

It's mind-boggling, in fact.

National Enquirer figured that out a long itme ago.

West Coast Ace
02-21-2006, 04:05 PM
It's actually closer to 10%. Search it on ask.comNo. That's bogus. That's the Left trying to legitimize that lifestyle - they include any guy who's ever commented that another male is attractive. It's 2-3%. The same clowns who also think 'grumpy' zoo animals are gay. No, dumb*sses! They're 'grumpy' because they're being held against their will and stared at all day.

I believe Big Bill's problem was doing it with juveniles. Which is a problem even with straight folks these days...

C_Urala
02-21-2006, 11:30 PM
I guess those 10% came from the Kensy report, where he found that "amongst the men... 13% reported more homosexual than heterosexual contact"

see http://www.avert.org/hsexu1.htm

urban
02-22-2006, 12:27 AM
Tilden was a complex,somewhat tragic character, a sort of Oscar Wilde/ Dorian Grey artist-type. He wanted to be a writer or actor, but fell through on the public and the critics. He made tons of money with tennis, but spent it all. When he died he was broke and forgotten. At the end, he had to sell all his trophies and could live only by the financial help of some Hollywood friends like Charlie Chaplin. His downfall generated an attitude in America for calling tennis a 'sissy'-sport. But no one did more for the evolution of the game. They should at last name a stadium court at Flushing after him.

alienhamster
02-22-2006, 09:35 AM
No. That's bogus. That's the Left trying to legitimize that lifestyle - they include any guy who's ever commented that another male is attractive. It's 2-3%. The same clowns who also think 'grumpy' zoo animals are gay. No, dumb*sses! They're 'grumpy' because they're being held against their will and stared at all day. This issue is far more complex than you're treating it here. Part of the problem is in the word *lifestyle* (which you use).

If you're calculating statistics of people who IDENTIFY as gay--as an identity category that defines them--the statistic is likely low (2-3%). If you're trying to solicit data about whether or not people have had or have desired homosexual experience, it's very likely much higher--but it's also incredibly dependent on what respondents and surveyors deem "homosexual." If anything, my guess is that the statistics underreport people who have had or currently have homosexual desires, particularly because there is such a stigma attached to it in so many cultures.

I guess that there are probably a few tennis players who would identify as homosexual or homosexual-leaning (in those sorts of anonymous surveys), but so few of them would ever publically talk about it.

Should they have to? Is it our business at all? I don't think we have a right to demand or expect it at all, but it's also perfectly fair for fans to wonder.

sureshs
02-22-2006, 09:42 AM
Tilden was a complex,somewhat tragic character, a sort of Oscar Wilde/ Dorian Grey artist-type. He wanted to be a writer or actor, but fell through on the public and the critics. He made tons of money with tennis, but spent it all. When he died he was broke and forgotten. At the end, he had to sell all his trophies and could live only by the financial help of some Hollywood friends like Charlie Chaplin. His downfall generated an attitude in America for calling tennis a 'sissy'-sport. But no one did more for the evolution of the game. They should at last name a stadium court at Flushing after him.

I think there is a statue of him at Flushing Meadows.

kevhen
02-22-2006, 10:10 AM
10% in general seems about right, but I bet pro female sports has a higher number than that. Women's softball and men's swimming and figure skating would be over 10% for sure.

Actors probably have a higher percent than women's sports. Gay people do get married and even have kids too.

lynnlovestennis
02-22-2006, 12:23 PM
Sabatini is the most classic example of a lipstick lesbian I've ever seen.

Is someone gonna offer proof that Sabatini is gay? I'd love to see something unPhotoshopped and documented. Otherwise this is all just speculation.

Signed,
GS Fan ;)

MonkeyPox
02-22-2006, 12:44 PM
Of course it's speculation. Obviously none of us know her. I don't know if Sania Mirza is gay either, but I speculate that she isn't. Gabriella "comes off" as a lesbian, but, to me, that is not an insult in the slightest so it's all just innocuous speculation. Somebody could say the same about me and I couldn't care less. Of course, I would have a hard time being a lesbian, but I might try!

legolas
02-22-2006, 01:32 PM
mauresmo digs chicks, and wow, jm gambill is a fruit? lol

Fee
02-22-2006, 01:33 PM
Legolas, are you 12?

legolas
02-22-2006, 01:35 PM
Legolas, are you 12?
nope, 19

pound cat
02-22-2006, 01:40 PM
You're kidding.

legolas
02-22-2006, 01:43 PM
You're kidding.
nope

legolas
02-22-2006, 01:43 PM
You're kidding.
nope

pound cat
02-22-2006, 02:47 PM
Oh dear...........

Steve Dykstra
02-22-2006, 05:26 PM
nope, 19

Haha, funny joke.

West Coast Ace
02-22-2006, 06:14 PM
This issue is far more complex than you're treating it here. Part of the problem is in the word *lifestyle* (which you use).

If you're calculating statistics of people who IDENTIFY as gay--as an identity category that defines them--the statistic is likely low (2-3%). If you're trying to solicit data about whether or not people have had or have desired homosexual experience, it's very likely much higher--but it's also incredibly dependent on what respondents and surveyors deem "homosexual." If anything, my guess is that the statistics underreport people who have had or currently have homosexual desires, particularly because there is such a stigma attached to it in so many cultures.

I guess that there are probably a few tennis players who would identify as homosexual or homosexual-leaning (in those sorts of anonymous surveys), but so few of them would ever publically talk about it.

Should they have to? Is it our business at all? I don't think we have a right to demand or expect it at all, but it's also perfectly fair for fans to wonder.
I'm not treating it 'lightly' - I just don't like when people with an agenda use bogus stats and ridiculous happenings (like animal behavior in a zoo) in a weak attempt to promote a deviant lifestyle. And yes, you read it correctly, deviant - to deviate from the norm - the norm being heterosexuality (based on the way the human 'plumbing' is constructed).

But I agree with you - it doesn't matter. I am a tennis fan. I want to see the best tennis possible. I don't care what they do off the court as long as it doesn't hurt someone else.

Phil
02-22-2006, 06:24 PM
I guess those 10% came from the Kensy report, where he found that "amongst the men... 13% reported more homosexual than heterosexual contact"

see http://www.avert.org/hsexu1.htm

I've heard the same, and I'd be more inclined to believe that number as closer to the true percentage than 2-3% (although I doubt anyone will ever really know what "true" is in this case).

You will get your right wing ideologues like West Coast Ace, who attempt to deny these things, because they just don't jibe with their "politics" or social conservatism or whatever balony they're pushing these days. Hey, throw out the politics and the bs and it is what it is...you can't deny something that's there. "It" doesn't bother me at all-people should be able to live their lives, as long as they don't infringe on others' rights, so I don't see any reason to fabricate or "massage" data to conform to an ideological bias.

alienhamster
02-22-2006, 11:07 PM
I'm not treating it 'lightly' - I just don't like when people with an agenda use bogus stats and ridiculous happenings (like animal behavior in a zoo) in a weak attempt to promote a deviant lifestyle. And yes, you read it correctly, deviant - to deviate from the norm - the norm being heterosexuality (based on the way the human 'plumbing' is constructed).

But I agree with you - it doesn't matter. I am a tennis fan. I want to see the best tennis possible. I don't care what they do off the court as long as it doesn't hurt someone else. Look, I know we're getting away from pro tennis here, but I can't leave this standing without some reply.

(1) People with an agenda on all sides push the "stats" on this issue--it isn't just liberals, but also fundamentalists who don't acutally know the science, sociology, and psychology here. Even though I am left-leaning, I get annoyed at the oversimplification that sexuality is just genetic. It clearly isn't JUST genetic--choice always plays into desire and behavior. But I can't argue seriously with a conservative/fundamentalist who won't acknowledge the science that is out there on human and animal behavior/sexuality.

(2) Have you actually read those animal studies? Maybe you're responding to some diluted pop version of the studies, but there are definitely some really interesting species interactions that call into question assumptions about "normal" sexuality and "natural" desires. It doesn't get any more "natural" than animals in my book--and if they're using their parts for a variety of functions (not just procreation but also pleasure, companionship) with same-sex and/or opposite sex partners, it has to make you wonder about claiming homosexuality as "deviant" behavior in humans.

tennisadict
02-23-2006, 12:09 AM
Serena is gay

MonkeyPox
02-23-2006, 08:55 AM
I've never understood why anyone would think someone else being gay either has anything to do with them or should upset them somehow. These people need more hobbies or something to do obviously.

Though to the point of "deviant" behaviors, I guess I'm deviant because I'm an American and not fat. If you want to get technical if you vary from the norm, I guess you are deviant or deviated, but I'll be a happy little tennis playing deviant.

If I had to bet, I'd say Serena isn't deviant in either being gay or in shape.

Morpheus
02-23-2006, 09:29 AM
... in a weak attempt to promote a deviant lifestyle.

So you believe people have a choice in the matter?

Warriorroger
02-27-2006, 01:14 AM
mmmm

http://www.nzz.ch/images/2005/11/09/sp/newzzEFTGQ5EP-12/Roger-Federer.jpg

Mr.Federer
02-27-2006, 05:40 AM
nope, 19

I was sure that you were at the very highest 14 years old.

bismark
02-27-2006, 05:51 AM
mmmm

LOL. Roger the pretty boy?

mislav
02-27-2006, 06:37 AM
mmmm

ROFLMAO!

Docalex007
02-27-2006, 06:52 AM
I was sure that you were at the very highest 14 years old.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. It's funny actually. I've noticed that he's accumulated a rather large post count in a relatively short amount of time by posting things such as "lol", "yes", "no", etc. I'm not really sure how he gets around the character minimum. :rolleyes:

No offense Legolas. You're OK in my book.

jamumafa
02-27-2006, 06:57 AM
Legolas for Mod! lol just playing...

I would make a better comment , but like Deuce said , i don't see the fascination....

rilokiley
02-27-2006, 07:07 AM
Isn't that in elf years though? which means he could be older?

Warriorroger
02-27-2006, 12:28 PM
mmmm

http://www.nzz.ch/images/2005/11/09/sp/newzzEFTGQ5EP-12/Roger-Federer.jpg\

Come on you guys. Isn't this pic obvious.

Warriorroger
02-27-2006, 12:43 PM
mmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Deja Vu
03-01-2006, 04:16 AM
There was a huge billboard of Chang. You can bet the mainland Chinese didn't idolize him and admire his accomplishments as an "American". To them, he's Chinese, period. He is one of them. To me, that's not "wrong"-it's just a matter of perception-how people around the world define ethnicity and nationality, and how those two concepts meld or, maybe, don't meld.

Sorry, but that IS wrong... very wrong. The "people around the world" you are refering to (in this case, China) are extremely racist and nationalistic. Would there ever be a billboard of Federer, Agassi or Sampras in China? No. Why? Because those players are "gaijin", and the Chinese are only interested in their own race.

Racism in China is something you don't often hear about in the media, but it is there. In late December, a Canadian teacher in the Chinese island of Hainan was surrounded by a mob of 500 people when he got into a confrontation with bystanders after a car accident in which he was a passenger. After much pushing and shoving, he struck someone and the mob got angrier. Within a few hours, it was a national scandal. Photos of the Canadian teacher were posted on one of China's biggest web sites, and more than 1,460 people wrote angry messages to the Web site.

"Ugly and arrogant foreigners will be beaten," one person warned. Another complained: "There are countless cases where Chinese people are insulted by foreign dog."

The incident was compounded by the fact that the Canadian teacher was black. Many of the comments on the Web site were full of racist curses. Hundreds demanded that criminal charges should be filed against him.

Sounds a little like n-a-z-i Germany doesn't it?
Sorry, but that IS wrong... very wrong. The "people around the world" you are refering to (in this case, China) are extremely racist and nationalistic. Would there ever be a billboard of Federer, Agassi or Sampras in China? No. Why? Because those players are "gaijin", and the Chinese are only interested in their own race.
If you ever glance through a fashion magazine or check out ads in China, you'll notice a lot of white, blond models. Yes, there is racism in China and there is an ugly strain of nationalism that cuts through society, but nothing in Asia is as it seems. Nothing is exactly clear cut-as someone who lived in Japan, as I recall, you should know that. There are PLENTY of "gaijin"-or in this case, gawailo celebs in China, though. Open your eyes and stop trying to form anti-Asian arguments.

Racism in China is something you don't often hear about in the media, but it is there. In late December, a Canadian teacher in the Chinese island of Hainan was surrounded by a mob of 500 people when he got into a confrontation with bystanders after a car accident in which he was a passenger. After much pushing and shoving, he struck someone and the mob got angrier. Within a few hours, it was a national scandal. Photos of the Canadian teacher were posted on one of China's biggest web sites, and more than 1,460 people wrote angry messages to the Web site.

"Ugly and arrogant foreigners will be beaten," one person warned. Another complained: "There are countless cases where Chinese people are insulted by foreign dog."

The incident was compounded by the fact that the Canadian teacher was black. Many of the comments on the Web site were full of racist curses. Hundreds demanded that criminal charges should be filed against him.

Don't you think it's hypocritical of you, Dave, to criticize the racist tendencies of China and HIGHLIGHT a particular incident that involved a black Canadian, when you yourself have been posting racist threads all week-in the guise of anti-Williams comments? Your "Aunt Jemima" thread was deleted for this very reason. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Deja Vu
03-01-2006, 04:17 AM
Dave 'Asianphobic' Grable Sorry, but that IS wrong... very wrong. The "people around the world" you are refering to (in this case, China) are extremely racist and nationalistic. Would there ever be a billboard of Federer, Agassi or Sampras in China? No. Why? Because those players are "gaijin", and the Chinese are only interested in their own race.

Sounds a little like N-a-z-i Germany doesn't it?

So who cares if China never produce tennis stars? I think we're doing fine without them.

You're back as a 'New User', Mr. Grable. Why? You got banned previously? For racist comments I presumed.

Your anti-Asian, anti-Black opinions are already made known in this message board. Folks who post in this board for the last 2-3 years will know about your bigotry, especially your hatred towards Asians. The name DaveGrable can be found in almost any thread that contained these words - Asian, Chang, Sugiyama, Chinese, Blacks, Williams. You just couldn't resist expressing your ethnic intolerence, could you?

p.s. Join the triple K message board, and you will definitely not be banned. On contrary, you will achieve 'Legend' status.

If you ever glance through a fashion magazine or check out ads in China, you'll notice a lot of white, blond models. Yes, there is racism in China and there is an ugly strain of nationalism that cuts through society, but nothing in Asia is as it seems. Nothing is exactly clear cut-as someone who lived in Japan, as I recall, you should know that. There are PLENTY of "gaijin"-or in this case, gawailo celebs in China, though. Open your eyes and stop trying to form anti-Asian arguments.

Don't you think it's hypocritical of you, Dave, to criticize the racist tendencies of China and HIGHLIGHT a particular incident that involved a black Canadian, when you yourself have been posting racist threads all week-in the guise of anti-Williams comments? Your "Aunt Jemima" thread was deleted for this very reason. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Well said, Phil. Kudos for exposing this hypocritical bigot.

Warriorroger
03-01-2006, 05:14 AM
\

Come on you guys. Isn't this pic obvious.

arnz
03-01-2006, 05:22 AM
Deja Vu - I don't understand why you quoted those humungous postings by other people. The point of posting is that you add to the discussion, the point of quoting is that you want to direct your comments to somebody else's comments in his/her post. The thread is already big without you doing that, plus you didnt add anything to the discussion.

Deja Vu
03-01-2006, 09:15 AM
this davegrable is he asian? asian that is ashamed of being asian hence the abuse on asians behind the computer?
Interesting how you thought of such a possibility. You seem to have enough of an awareness to know that such human behaviors exists because it does indeed, as you are witnessing Dave Grable in action in this board.

To answer your question, yes most likely he is Asian. He exhibits behaviors that are very much in line and fit the critria of people who are ashamed of their true identity, history, past experiences, past actions, etc.

If you've ever read some of his posts, you would have read that he has lived in Asia (China, Taiwan -- I don't remember what country exactly) at one point in time. Now it is no secret that this Dave Grable displays hostility towards the Asian people (One of his posts in this very thread should give you a clear hint. Also, BC-05, you are inquiring about him and so you must sense this hostility that I speak of.).

If this Dave Grable is a non-Asian racist who discriminates the Asian people, then do you think he would have choosen to live in an Asain country? It's not like countries in Asia are diverse like the Netherlands or the USA. In most Asian countries, the majority of the race is Asian. So most likely it is not the case that Dave is a non-Asian racist who resided in Asia (He is most likely an Asian who dislikes other Asians and exhibits a behavior in a way as if he himself were not an Asian). A neo-naughtzi wouldn't live in South Africa if he had a choice, right? So why would a non-Asian person who dislikes Asian people willingly move to Asia?

So this Dave Grable is perhaps an Asian from Asia. That may explain why he is so familar with what he thinks of how Asians perceive other non-Asians (As one example, the way in how he describes with seemingly first hand knowledge that all Asians are racists.). I mean generally, a racist of another race doesn't usully speak with such a deep, self-relatable description of the despised race like how Dave Grable does. That alone is a clue that he is Asian.

It is nothing new, that a person can be ashamed of their own race. Sometimes a lack of connection in a person's thoughts, memories, feelings, actions, or sense of identity can cause dissasociation. During the period of time when the person is dissociating, certain information may not be associated with other information as it normally would.

For example, during a traumatic experience, a person may dissociate the memory of the place and circumstances of the trauma from his ongoing memory. What may result from that is a temporary mental escape from the fear and pain of the trauma and, in some cases, a memory gap surrounding the experience.

Because this process can produce changes in memory, people who frequently dissociate often find their senses of personal history and identity are affected. Some people forget who they really are, their roots and cultural background. They may even become ashamed of themselves when confronted with the truth. Of course the self-inflicted memory change may cause one to behave in other ways other than being shameful. For example, one's social skills may become impaired, one may lose touch with reality, or one may develop narcissistic behavior that nay have been caused by the altered way of thinking due to the free-willed dissociation.

As far as what could have made Dave behave this way, perhaps when he was a child he was faced with an overwhelmingly traumatic situation. Maybe from that experience, he had no physical escape and so as a child growing up, he may have resorted to "going away" in his head. He may have used that ability as a defense against physical and emotional pain, or anxious anticipation of that pain. By this process, thoughts, feelings, memories, and perceptions of the traumatic experiences can be separated off psychologically, allowing him to function as if the trauma had not occurred.

If that's the case (and I am pretty sure it is), over time, that defensive dissociation became reinforced and conditioned into what it is now. Because the dissociative escape may have been so effective, Dave may have used it whenever he felt threatened or anxious -- even if the anxiety-producing situation is not extreme or abusive. After a long time, his mind may have been conditioned into thinking that the dissociation is normal reality. Even after the traumatic circumstances are long past, the left-over pattern of defensive dissociation could have remained. This may have lead to the serious dysfunction in him that we see that he depicts through his screen name character "DaveGrable".
A very poignant and interesting reflection ... agree with a lot of it.A very poignant and interesting reflection ... agree with a lot of it.Thank you. I only say what I believe is the most likely thing with the clues and list of behaviors.I don't think DaveGrable is Asian. He's explained before that the reason why he thinks most Asians are racist is because he lived in Asia and witnessed some racist behavior first hand amongst the native population. Rightly or wrongly, that ugly personal experience has left a bad taste in his mouth towards Asians which continues today. Why he doesn't just let it go or why he assumes or sterotypes all Asians as behaving the same way, I don't know. But I guess that's what makes him prejudiced and a racist.

Now, I'm certainly not defending DaveGrable nor his despicable behavior on this board, but merely clarifying what he has stated in the past.
I don't think DaveGrable is Asian. He's explained before that the reason why he thinks most Asians are racist is because he lived in Asia and witnessed some racist behavior first hand amongst the native population. Rightly or wrongly, that ugly personal experience has left a bad taste in his mouth towards Asians which continues today. Why he doesn't just let it go or why he assumes or sterotypes all Asians as behaving the same way, I don't know. But I guess that's what makes him prejudiced and a racist.

Now, I'm certainly not defending DaveGrable nor his despicable behavior on this board, but merely clarifying what he has stated in the past.
It doesn't , matter whether or not you think he is.I did not post so that everyone could speculate about what he may be. The post was directed at him. He knows he is Asian. He probably feels so terrible right now, now that two people (BC-05 and I) have pointed out the possibilty of him being so.Exremist -- you are a coward. You obviously are the same guy who created the screen name DaveGrableIsAWhiteRacist. Now you created a new screen name solely for the purpose of ripping on me. You have 11 posts to your name.... all of them about me.

Why don't you be a real man and post under your real name?
Exremist -- you are a coward. You obviously are the same guy who created the screen name DaveGrableIsAWhiteRacist. Now you created a new screen name solely for the purpose of ripping on me. You have 11 posts to your name.... all of them about me.

Why don't you be a real man and post under your real name?
What's with the insults? Now you are getting personal with insults? You say I am who? I did not even know that it was possible to create such a long user name. Whoever that was, they surely got it all wrong, am I right? If they wanted to be more politically correct then they would've went with DaveGrableIsAnAsianRacistWhoDepisesHisOwnAsianPeop le. That would've been more appropriate. You should be banned for the personal attack. I wasn't even speaking to you in the first place. I simply answered someone's question.

P.S. - Real men are gentlemen, opposite of what you are. Real have class and do not talk down on a race of people. Real men do not post cheap insults. Real men are not ignorant. (this could go on forever)

MonkeyPox
03-01-2006, 01:13 PM
Maybe he's a nutjob.

Ching Chong Ching Chong
03-01-2006, 01:49 PM
Actaully mockeypox, you didn't even realize what he (Deja Vu) was doing. He was smart. He got a racist by the user name "DaveGrable" terminated. I ran a search and looked up the posts that Deja Vu requoted and found out why Deja was doing what he did.

The thing was, dave slipped through the cracks for quite some time now. He chose his words carefully when he posted, but if you ask anyone, they will tell you that he posted racial comments.

Deja Vu was smart by getting the mods' attention and that made them delete all of Dave's post. Look at Dave's profile, when you click to view his past posts it will take you to a screen that says that the page is unavailable etc.

Sometimes things aren't meant to be logical, as how you Monkey didn't see what Deja Vu's intent was. He had a purpose and succeeded. So who's the idiot now? :rolleyes:

Ching Chong Ching Chong
03-01-2006, 01:51 PM
That should have answered your question Arnz. I'm am pretty sure that's the case. I actually took the time to run a search (unlike monkeyboy who assumes and jumps to conclusions!) of those posts that Deja Vu posted. After doing research, I came up with the conclusion that I mentioned in the post above this one. ^^^^^^

atatu
03-02-2006, 07:48 AM
Ok, the post about the 40 year old virgin made me think of Michael Chang. In his book he announces he's a virgin and will remain so until he gets married. Well, as far as I know he still isn't married....and now I hear that he's in seminary ?? I know he's a devout Christian and all, but that doesn't seem healthy to me.....

rhubarb
03-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Ok, the post about the 40 year old virgin made me think of Michael Chang. In his book he announces he's a virgin and will remain so until he gets married. Well, as far as I know he still isn't married....and now I hear that he's in seminary ?? I know he's a devout Christian and all, but that doesn't seem healthy to me.....

Gets me thinking that it's a crazy world when people believe that Chang's attitude is actually *unhealthy*. I'm doing the same as him and I'm probably older, too :)

Moose Malloy
03-02-2006, 08:44 AM
Gets me thinking that it's a crazy world when people believe that Chang's attitude is actually *unhealthy*. I'm doing the same as him and I'm probably older, too

You're a woman. It's not the same for men.

arnz
03-02-2006, 08:46 AM

What does going to a seminary mean? Is that to become a priest? Aren't catholic priests supposed to be celibate?

Atatu, you have to realize some people have grown up with different values than you did. it may seem old fashioned now, but quite a few people still subscribe to it. I don't think its a question of mental health.

For example, I always thought it was crazy for people to wear hats and full suits for men and long sleeves and skirts that go all the way to the floor for women, even in the summer. But quite a number of Hassidic Jews do it. Its their culture and tradition, and I respect it, even though I would definitely make different choices for myself

Mikael
03-02-2006, 10:50 AM
Here in college there's definitely more than 10% of gays. Good for us heteros I guess, less competition. I bet a lot of those gays fall under pressure later in their life and end up pretending they're straight.

atatu
03-02-2006, 01:10 PM
What does going to a seminary mean? Is that to become a priest? Aren't catholic priests supposed to be celibate?

Atatu, you have to realize some people have grown up with different values than you did. it may seem old fashioned now, but quite a few people still subscribe to it. I don't think its a question of mental health.

For example, I always thought it was crazy for people to wear hats and full suits for men and long sleeves and skirts that go all the way to the floor for women, even in the summer. But quite a number of Hassidic Jews do it. Its their culture and tradition, and I respect it, even though I would definitely make different choices for myself

I didn't mean mental health, I meant physical health. I'm not a doctor, but I'm not sure celibacy in an adult male is particularly healthy. Yeah, Catholic priests are celibate....and that hasn't working out so well for them lately....

Rickson
04-17-2006, 03:41 PM
Why would you make a happy face to go with that?

Eviscerator
04-18-2006, 09:00 AM
I have not read through this thread, but if I had to guess who might be a homosexual on the men's side, it would be that guy who wears a pink shirt that has his shoulder blades exposed.:mrgreen:

PeterSampras
04-18-2006, 09:44 AM
Michael Chang is definitely gay. I mean the guy has never even had a girlfriend his entire life. How could you be a tennis pro and not have a girlfriend?? Ok granted he's not the best looking guy in the world and has no personality, but at the very least, there would be Asian women interested in him.

It's also interesting he wants to be a priest. A lot of priests are (non-practicing) gays, or in some unfortunate cases, practicing. I get the impression some men are so ashamed of being gay they become priests so they won't have to deal with it.

Either way, it's kind of weird to think Chang has been spankin' it his entire life.

TheSneakerologist
04-18-2006, 10:22 AM
Dude you're an idiot... seriously

Andres
04-18-2006, 10:34 AM
Why would you make a happy face to go with that?
Because I'm in love with you, Rickson. ;)
Mwaaaaaaahhh :mrgreen:

bluegrasser
04-18-2006, 01:52 PM
Dude you're an idiot... seriously

I'll second that, and you can add slanderer also.

Nightcrawler
04-18-2006, 02:09 PM
PeterSampras,

Please learn about the difference between being a priest and studying in seminary. Two different issues.

In addition, it is important to note that almost all members of clergy are not homosexual. Only a small number of exceptions were given much media attention. These acts were committed by people who disguise themselves as "priests" or the like just so they can abuse their authority.

What Michael is doing by staying pure prior to marriage is honorable, and has nothing to do with what you are saying in your comments. It is disappointing that you are accusing him of being gay without merit.

Dedans Penthouse
04-18-2006, 02:10 PM
I'll second that and you can add slanderer too.

I'll "third" that and suggest that Peter Sampras (the poster not the player) is struggling with some ambivalent feelings about:

--Bruce (in history class)
--Scot (with one "T" in arT class)
--Bryan (with a "Y" in gYm class)

'lil bone smuggler.....in denial

Mugatu
04-18-2006, 02:31 PM
pete sampras, ur a farkin *******

skip1969
04-18-2006, 03:24 PM
funny thread . . . sort of. sad, too . . . in a way. and as has already been mentioned, why?

i guess i must be one of those odd, boring types who is only concerned with the sexuality of those who i am genuinely interested in shagging.

wyutani
04-18-2006, 03:27 PM
lolz, this gay talk is making me hungry....

MonkeyPox
04-19-2006, 09:18 AM
funny thread . . . sort of. sad, too . . . in a way. and as has already been mentioned, why?

i guess i must be one of those odd, boring types who is only concerned with the sexuality of those who i am genuinely interested in shagging.

For real, otherwise, I don't see how either you'd know or you'd care. But people seem to be really interested in like Angelie Jolie and they don't know her either, so I guess it's the same as trying to say whether Chang is gay. One thing we can say about Chang is he always had sort of a funny haircut.

slack hack
04-19-2006, 01:25 PM
I've never understood why anyone would think someone else being gay either has anything to do with them or should upset them somehow. These people need more hobbies or something to do obviously.

those bashers always end up being the closet cases protesting just a little too loudly...