PDA

View Full Version : Andy Murray = Federer with 2 handed backhand?

Mr Topspin
02-20-2006, 05:08 AM
I've been watching Andy's progress in his latest tournament and i must say his game is quite refreshing. I have to admire the tennis smarts he is exuding. I think he's style is desperately needed for the ATP. I particularly like his deep slice and his volleying. He reminds of what Federer would have been with a 2 handed bachand. He also has a powerful 2 handed drive.

The main thing i think at the moment that will hold him back is his forehand. It does not seem to be the weapon that his backhand appears to be. It's not overpowering and he seems to muscle it. The only weaknesses i can see for Murray at present are his fitness and his running fh. He has potential problems especially as he is more of a grinder and poor fitness does not equate well for a grinder especially on the red stuff.

In my humble opionion Murray's game is currently unbalalanced towards defense. If he can balance the scale with an attacking game to match i can forsee him doing as well as Henman if not more. However, as other have pointed out Murray's game matches well against mindless baseline bashers ala Roddick but against fellow grinders like Chela for example, the game collaspes completely.

Rabbit
02-20-2006, 06:15 AM
In my humble opionion Murray's game is currently unbalalanced towards defense.

Given this assessment, how in the world do you equate him with Federer? IMO, Roger Federer has more offensive weapons at his disposal than any other player in the world.

From what I saw of Murray, he looks to be a Juan Carlos Ferrero wannabe. The most notable difference is his shot selection. Ferrero is too smart to employ a drop shot on a hard court on a routine basis. Drop shots are better employed on clay or grass where the ball dies.

Grimjack
02-20-2006, 06:28 AM
Andy is similar to Roger perhaps in that both try to do creative things with the ball.

But add to that Roger's superior skill, movement, power, athleticism, mental game, variety, etc., and yeah...I can see the similarities.

I agree with Rabbit that his upside/evolution appears to be more along the Ferrero or Nalbandian lines.

swedechris
02-20-2006, 06:38 AM
an new ferreo he is not.. for sure he plays with a lot more variety and skill than ferrero did at 18 ..!and i feel he already does more witht the ball then ferreo does now even .
murrays serve is much more a weapon and his ground strokes are flatter and carry more pace when he goes for them .. he uses the slice very very well and that is ver rare these days .
also his hands are already great in blocking serves bback adn around 'nomansland' and at the net he seems quite relaxed + comfortable.
to me he is more like a calmer version of marat safin about 50%( + hewitt 25%and miroslav mecir 25%mix ..)
not a bad combo at 18 ..

he will do very well i thnik because i understand the courts angels and openings and can use his technique in a way thet doesnt suit his opponent without playing outside of his own style.. and that is alos very rare these days..
so go on being smart and playing bravely !!

Gugafan_Redux
02-20-2006, 06:53 AM
Here we go again. Shall I just make a post "Murry = God"?

tenalyser
02-20-2006, 06:54 AM
LOL at the thread title, I really do hope this is a joke I know that the Brits are waiting for there new hope to save British tennis and win some Wimbledon titles but come on "Murray=Federer with 2 handed backhand don't make me laugh :roll:

BabolatFan
02-20-2006, 07:25 AM
I've been watching Andy's progress in his latest tournament and i must say his game is quite refreshing. I have to admire the tennis smarts he is exuding. I think he's style is desperately needed for the ATP. I particularly like his deep slice and his volleying. He reminds of what Federer would have been with a 2 handed bachand. He also has a powerful 2 handed drive.

The main thing i think at the moment that will hold him back is his forehand. It does not seem to be the weapon that his backhand appears to be. It's not overpowering and he seems to muscle it. The only weaknesses i can see for Murray at present are his fitness and his running fh. He has potential problems especially as he is more of a grinder and poor fitness does not equate well for a grinder especially on the red stuff.

In my humble opionion Murray's game is currently unbalalanced towards defense. If he can balance the scale with an attacking game to match i can forsee him doing as well as Henman if not more. However, as other have pointed out Murray's game matches well against mindless baseline bashers ala Roddick but against fellow grinders like Chela for example, the game collaspes completely.
Murray is another good brit player. No, he's nowhere near Federer. C'mon now. Federer has a well-developed all-round weapons and can play far more pressure tennis. Murray is a rising talent for sure.

Safina
02-20-2006, 09:17 AM
If other posters can idolize NADAL ... I am glad others can trumpet for Murray. Murray actually plays a game similar to players I face... not giving any pace... patient... using his defense to wait you out until you get bored and try to hit a winner in a bad spot. A pusher/defender with a 125mph serve... interesting!

I am surprised to see pros have as much trouble as they do with his slice backhand... makes me feel better when I lose to an experienced pusher that has seen 1,000 aggressive players and knows exactly how to defuse their power and their game.

So Murray is a welcome addition to the ATP tour... I really like the contrasting styles of Fed, Nadal, Murray, Hewitt, Roddick, Nalbandian, Ljubicic, Davydenko, Baghdatis, Agassi, Blake,Haas,Coria, Ferrero, Moya,Ginepri and Safin,...etc..... nice mixture of styles and temperments! Now if they would all be healthy for the same tournament!

Shiro
02-20-2006, 09:58 AM
I agree that Murray is more a Ferrero than Federer. Federer is more a attacking all-rounder , where Murray is a solid Counter-puncher.

Cyclops
02-20-2006, 10:24 AM
Can't comment on the comparison too much, as I never saw Federer plat at 18 years0old, but Tenalyser is right:

I know that the Brits are waiting for there new hope to save British tennis and win some Wimbledon titles...

We sure do need somone new to pin our hopes on!!

The tennis guy
02-20-2006, 10:50 AM
an new ferreo he is not.. for sure he plays with a lot more variety and skill than ferrero did at 18 ..!and i feel he already does more witht the ball then ferreo does now even .
murrays serve is much more a weapon and his ground strokes are flatter and carry more pace when he goes for them .. he uses the slice very very well and that is ver rare these days .
also his hands are already great in blocking serves bback adn around 'nomansland' and at the net he seems quite relaxed + comfortable.
to me he is more like a calmer version of marat safin about 50%( + hewitt 25%and miroslav mecir 25%mix ..)
not a bad combo at 18 ..

he will do very well i thnik because i understand the courts angels and openings and can use his technique in a way thet doesnt suit his opponent without playing outside of his own style.. and that is alos very rare these days..
so go on being smart and playing bravely !!

What he doesn't do as well as Ferrero is he doesn't take the ball early like Ferrero does. He is nowhere near Federer who takes the ball so early.

West Coast Ace
02-20-2006, 11:02 AM

One good week - at a Tier II event - and he's now being compared with Fed?

We still haven't seen him win a string of 3 out of 5 matches at a Slam. When that happens, let us know.

Mr.Federer
02-20-2006, 11:25 AM
Andy Murray=Federer with 2 handed backhand?...no freaking way.

BreakPoint
02-20-2006, 11:47 AM
One good week - at a Tier II event - and he's now being compared with Fed?

We still haven't seen him win a string of 3 out of 5 matches at a Slam. When that happens, let us know.

Well, he did beat Roddick and Hewitt back to back, both former #1's, both former US Open champs, both were recently #2 and #3 in the world, and on both's most favorite surface (hard courts) (Murray's favorite surface is clay.)

BTW, he did get to the 3rd round at Wimbledon last year, and he was up 2 sets to love against Nalbandian (a former Wimbledon finalist) in that 3rd round match, so he was a set away from the 4th round before he ran out of gas.

This kid can play.

devila
02-20-2006, 01:05 PM
Roddick said his fave is likely grass. He did damn nothing on hardcourt for 2 years, so...

BaselDazzle
02-20-2006, 01:15 PM
While there's no doubt Murray can play (in light of his recent wins enroute to his first ATP title) comparing him to Fed is a bit ridiculous. I don't get the compulsion to equate every talented youngster to Federer.

Apparently, Gasquet is Federerlike in his all round talent. So is Baghdatis - only with a two handed BH. Now so is Murray. Can we add Djokovic, Monfils and Berdych to the list just to get it over and done with?

Gasquet = FrenchFed
Baghdatis = GreekCypriotFed
Murray = ScotFed
Djokovic = SerbiaMontenegroFed
Monfils = BlackFrenchFed
Berdych = CzechFed

There. All done.

verker-er
02-20-2006, 03:24 PM
Just because Murray once said his favourite surface is clay does not mean that clay is his best surface. In fact, if you listen to his and his mother's press conferences they now say that his best shot at a slam is the US Open (fast hard court).

As for comparisons, to me Murray is a taller version of Lleyton Hewitt. Fiery personality, smart court management and overall effective counter-puncher. How well he does will depend partly on how big his serve becomes, partly on fitness (Hewitt can run all day) and being able to withstand the pressure placed by the British tennis media.

One thing which does annoy me immensely, is that same media comparing the age of his first tournament win to the likes of Federer and Mcenroe and suggesting that he'll reach his peak at the age of 25. The above players are examples of explosive, talented players who don't wear themselves out or win a lot at a young age but are unstoppable when their talent and tactics come together.

Murray on the other hand is already very smart, but as Wilander said straining mentally and thinking too much at an early age wears you. It happened to himself and Borg and is currently happening to Hewitt. Murray's best chance to win a slam will be b/w the ages of 20-22.

Given that Hewitt's success came at a time when Sampras was on the wane, Murray winning a slam (US Open or Wimbledon) seems to depend on whether or not Federer continues to be invincible.

Turning Pro
02-20-2006, 03:45 PM
Murray=No Federer

Murray=Henman career

West Coast Ace
02-20-2006, 03:48 PM
Well, he did beat Roddick and Hewitt back to back, both former #1's, both former US Open champs, both were recently #2 and #3 in the world, and on both's most favorite surface (hard courts) (Murray's favorite surface is clay.)

BTW, he did get to the 3rd round at Wimbledon last year, and he was up 2 sets to love against Nalbandian (a former Wimbledon finalist) in that 3rd round match, so he was a set away from the 4th round before he ran out of gas.

This kid can play.Neither Roddick or Hewitt are playing particularly well these days - I'm sure you knew that.

'And ran out of gas' - my point exactly. On grass. In the 1st week of the tournament.

There's a difference between 'the kid can play' and comparing him to the head and shoulders above the field, candidate for greatest ever, current #1. I'm just asking for a little sanity - maybe on this board that's asking for too much.

iscottius
02-20-2006, 03:59 PM
this thread is ridiculous if Mr. Topspin wasn't from London, I would crucify him. But England has had little to get excited about since the coming of henman.

I am also concerned about the tennis IQ of some posters on this board, comparing Murray to Ferrero? JCF is a baseliner with an average serve and a huge forehand. Murray is an all courter with a bigger serve and an average forehand (by tour standards). I don't see any similiarities.

GoWilliamsSisters
02-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Murray has a horrible forehand. If he played in Women's tennis, he wouldn't survive. I'm serious

superman1
02-20-2006, 06:54 PM
Murray is a counterpuncher with the ability to hit winners from all sides. Federer can be anything he wants to be. Murray will never be like Federer, but by playing and improving HIS game he can surely crack the top 10.

allez
02-20-2006, 07:41 PM
Murray is no Fed yet. He definitely has a lot more game than Roddick. His style is direct opposite to that of Roddick. He needs to win a lot more big ones with style before we can call him the 2hbh Fed.

Actually, he has a 1.5hbh. He uses the slices more often than many 1hbh players. He placed the ball well and low and set his opponent for a week return for put-away.

TENNIS_99
02-20-2006, 07:46 PM
Murray did bring some refreshing style to tennis. Let's see in two years he can come closer to what Federer is capable of doing.

Having said that, his style is really fun to watch. He plays smart tennis. Federer did not become THE man to beat until he plays smart tennis. He always said "figure out his opponent...". Once he "figures out" his opponet, he owns him. Murray seems to be on the right track.

Some in his hometown worries the media put too much pressure on him, too big a torch to carry. Hope he does not become another Montgomerie and let the top 20 guys have more than Mr. Ferderer to worry about.

Mr Topspin
02-21-2006, 02:00 AM
Did I add, Murray will win 8 slams over the next 5 years and the olympic title at Wimbledon.lol

OK and now the joke is over!!!!!

I know Murray is without question no closer to Federer than Korda to Hercules. I was taking the opportunity to parody fellow posters who proclaim the 'flavour of the month' as the next best thing. The countless times i have read, 'Muller to be a top 10 player', or 'Bagdatis will win the grand slam' or 'Gasquet is a tennis god' so why not 'Murray = Federer'.

Good to see the strong sense of opinion that this thread has created.

I can't say i see comparisons to JC Ferrerro. They have different strenghs. Murray is far more comfortable at net, has a bigger serve and has a weaker forehand than King Carlos.

Virtuous
02-21-2006, 07:30 AM
.... but come on "Murray=Federer with 2 handed backhand don't make me laugh :roll:
Too late for me.

MonkeyPox
02-21-2006, 09:31 AM
Murray has variety, you have to give him that. He seems a little slow and heavy to me though. I do love that he mixes it up so much however, but I think it is also because he has no other choice without other options. I think once the players get more used to him he'll have to come up with something better than slices and drop shots though. But it was fun to watch him against Roddick and Hewitt since they both acted like they'd never seen someone take the pace off a ball before. It was ridiculous.

The tennis guy
02-21-2006, 09:50 AM
Murray has variety, you have to give him that. He seems a little slow and heavy to me though.

Murray is heavy to you? What are you?

Moose Malloy
02-21-2006, 10:23 AM
Like his game a lot, reminds me of Mecir. But like Mecir, not sure he can hang with the big boys(Murray probably won't win any slams)
It's also nice to see the slice backhand make a comeback. Some of those baseline exchanges with Hewitt were quite surprising, they were hitting the ball so slowly. Power isn't everything.

tangerine
02-21-2006, 11:41 AM
Andy Murray = Federer with 2 handed backhand?

Holy crap.

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
02-21-2006, 12:27 PM
Murray: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/skills/4609176.stm

Federer: http://federermagic.blogspot.com/2005/03/guide-to-federers-playing-style.html

I'm not saying either are absolutely right, but both posit a good framework for this debate. Enjoy!

MonkeyPox
02-21-2006, 01:04 PM
Murray = heavy on his feet, no fat or overweight. I mean the post was comparing him to Federer, or even other players for that matter who seem very light on their feet. Murray seems a little cloddish, but still obviously good enough to beat Roddick and Hewitt.

West Coast Ace
02-21-2006, 03:53 PM
Did I add, Murray will win 8 slams over the next 5 years and the olympic title at Wimbledon.lol

OK and now the joke is over!!!!!

I know Murray is without question no closer to Federer than Korda to Hercules. I was taking the opportunity to parody fellow posters who proclaim the 'flavour of the month' as the next best thing. The countless times i have read, 'Muller to be a top 10 player', or 'Bagdatis will win the grand slam' or 'Gasquet is a tennis god' so why not 'Murray = Federer'.

Good to see the strong sense of opinion that this thread has created.

I can't say i see comparisons to JC Ferrerro. They have different strenghs. Murray is far more comfortable at net, has a bigger serve and has a weaker forehand than King Carlos.
[Dr Evil voice] 'Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.[/Dr Evil voice] Get beat down then say it was a joke...

jings
02-21-2006, 04:23 PM
Arvind Parmar just beat Srichaphan so this Murray thread is now well out of date. Clearly Parmar will go on to win Rotterdam, remain unbeaten for the next 5 weeks and run Federer close for the year end #1. Murray is a broken down has been already .... and with a single handed backhand he's even more like Federer than Murray will ever be.

slice bh compliment
02-21-2006, 04:38 PM
While there's no doubt Murray can play (in light of his recent wins enroute to his first ATP title) comparing him to Fed is a bit ridiculous. I don't get the compulsion to equate every talented youngster to Federer.

Apparently, Gasquet is Federerlike in his all round talent. So is Baghdatis - only with a two handed BH. Now so is Murray. Can we add Djokovic, Monfils and Berdych to the list just to get it over and done with?

Gasquet = FrenchFed
Baghdatis = GreekCypriotFed
Murray = ScotFed
Djokovic = SerbiaMontenegroFed
Monfils = BlackFrenchFed
Berdych = CzechFed

There. All done.

All done? Wait a minute. I like this game...and we can play it retroactively.

Pancho Segura = Rickety Fed.
Bobby Riggs = Hustlin' Fed.
Rod Laver = Double Grand Slammin' Fed.
Bill Tilden = LongPants Fed.
Bjorn Borg = Baseliner Fed.
Pete Sampras = Attacker Fed.
Jack Kramer = Business Fed.
Yannick Noah = Cool guy Fed.
Guga Kuerten = Nice guy Fed.
Andre Agassi = Philanthropic Fed.
Steffi Graf = Female Fed.
Johnny Mac = Ill-tempered Fed.
Pancho Gonzales = w/ all due respect, Dead Fed (sorry I went for the cheap rhyme).
Singin', "I'm too sexy for this thread" = Right Said Fed.

snowpuppy
02-21-2006, 04:53 PM
lol, maybe nike can run a commercial like they did with the "lebron's"

All done? Wait a minute. I like this game...and we can play it retroactively.

Pancho Segura = Rickety Fed.
Bobby Riggs = Hustlin' Fed.
Rod Laver = Double Grand Slammin' Fed.
Bill Tilden = LongPants Fed.
Bjorn Borg = Baseliner Fed.
Pete Sampras = Attacker Fed.
Jack Kramer = Business Fed.
Yannick Noah = Cool guy Fed.
Guga Kuerten = Nice guy Fed.
Andre Agassi = Philanthropic Fed.
Steffi Graf = Female Fed.
Johnny Mac = Ill-tempered Fed.
Pancho Gonzales = w/ all due respect, Dead Fed (sorry I went for the cheap rhyme).
Singin', "I'm too sexy for this thread" = Right Said Fed.

jings
02-21-2006, 05:10 PM
A modest improvement .. Yannick Noah - Dred Fed? Good work slice.

Noelle
02-21-2006, 05:34 PM
So who's Well Fed?

slice bh compliment
02-21-2006, 05:37 PM
A modest improvement .. Yannick Noah - Dred Fed? Good work slice.

Nice!

--slice

ps, I was actually thinking Rasta Fed...but DreadFed's got street cred.

slice bh compliment
02-21-2006, 05:45 PM
So who's Well Fed?

We could go Serena or Labadze...but given tonight's dinner, I think I shall take the high road and say,
Me.
Wife discovered fishmonger at local farmers' mkt.
All good.

Over Fed = Peter Lundgren.

(get it? He is over Fed....and he's overfed).

opiate
02-21-2006, 05:51 PM
so.. well fed and over Fed?

who's Under Fed?

slice bh compliment
02-21-2006, 05:55 PM
Dani Hantuchova = under Fed.
Petr Korda = under Fed.
Guga Kuerten = under Fed...but beat him last time they played in a slam!

Mirka Vavrinec = under Fed (what? stay w/ me here) at times...and sometimes on toppa Fed...and the adorable: spoon Fed.

arosen
02-21-2006, 09:23 PM
Amelie Mauresmo=sex change Fed