PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Rainer Schuettler?

Gugafan_Redux
02-20-2006, 11:06 AM
The guy finished top 5 in -- what was it? -- 2003. P Mac talked about him being one of the fittest guys on tour. Then he just vanished.

Just a case of burnout?

rhubarb
02-20-2006, 11:16 AM
He just had a one very good year, and that was it. He's still playing but barely in the top 100. Next up for him is Andy Murray, I believe.

hoosierbr
02-20-2006, 12:42 PM
He was injured part of 2004 and had a minor surgery on his knee. Perhaps he's never recovered from that.

Again, a lot of it has to do with the schedule. JC Ferrero was ranked number 1 that same year, then he picked up injuries and has never quite returned. I don't know about Rainer but if tennis had a proper off-season, JCF would probably still be a Top 10 player.

bluegrasser
02-20-2006, 01:59 PM
I think tennis more than any other sport is extremely hard to come back after time off, from an injury or whatever.

ezdude1970
02-20-2006, 02:02 PM
Who cares? I canít imagine anybody is missing his brand of tennis!

DashaandSafin
02-20-2006, 02:39 PM
Rainer Shuttler got spanked by Agassi in the TMC. Thats all i remeber from him. I think he did well at the AO that year too. People compare Davedenkyo to him becuase they seem sort of like one year hit wonders. Rainer is not the type of guy you would expect in the top 10 much less the top 5. More of a top 20-50 type of player. Now hes top....500.

Grimjack
02-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Who cares? I canít imagine anybody is missing his brand of tennis!

I wouldn't go so far as to say I miss his tennis artistry or anything, but I think there's something to admire in a guy who ascends the tennis mountain despite a pretty limited repertoire.

Generally, when Rainer would win, you could be pretty sure he won because he outworked his opponent. He won because he was fitter and more consistent, and there was a lot an amateur could take from that, if he had a mind to improve his own game. You could root for Rainer for the same reason you would watch a Rocky movie. He let the spectator enjoy for a little while the illusion that with enough hard work, anybody could do it.

hoosierbr
02-20-2006, 03:09 PM
Another reason why Schuettler's fallen so far is because he doesn't have any big weapon to rely on. Still, I always enjoy watching Rainer play, especially against guys with big serves. Rainer has a good return game and takes that weapon away. That's one reason why he has a good record against Roddick. That doesn't mean much today but Rainer beat him at the TMC in 2003 when Roddick became number one.

He's also very friendly. I met him at this year's USO and he was very gracious with the fans.

Hard not to root for someone like that.

rhubarb
02-20-2006, 03:16 PM
Rainer Shuttler got spanked by Agassi in the TMC. Thats all i remeber from him. I think he did well at the AO that year too. People compare Davedenkyo to him becuase they seem sort of like one year hit wonders. Rainer is not the type of guy you would expect in the top 10 much less the top 5. More of a top 20-50 type of player. Now hes top....500.

Yeah, he got bagelled in the second set of their semi-final at the TMC after having won the first. I think that match was more competitive than their AO final though - didn't it only take Agassi 64 minutes to win it or something?

He was one of the very few players who had a clear winning record against Roddick in 2003 though, testament to his good return game and excellent defence as mentioned above.

devila
02-20-2006, 04:07 PM
So what? Rainer beat Federer too.

Big freaking deal about the 3-0 choke from Roddick in 2003 MC. Shocking.

tennissavy
02-20-2006, 09:41 PM
Rainer was very impressive a couple of years ago. I enjoyed watching him beat Agassi with ease but his wheels just seem to have fallen off. It puzzles me how he has diminished in the rankings so suddenly. He truly struggles to win matches these days.

arosen
02-20-2006, 10:46 PM
Yeah, I saw him at 2005 USO and he looked totally helpless out there playing against Haas. He just couldnt hurt anybody anymore. He counterpunched himself into oblivion.

Gugafan_Redux
02-21-2006, 06:03 AM
Thanks for the input, guys and gals.

Obviously he made his fitness his weapon, and a player cannot rely on that to keep him in the top ten for more than season, typically. No big serve for so called cheap points. (I never liked P Mac's use of "cheap" for aces. If it's so easy to ace pro ATP players, how come I can't do it? Anyway...) No big weapon. Too much work to squeeze out wins in tie breaks after long grinding points every game, long service games going to duece, long sets, etc.

GRANITECHIEF
02-21-2006, 08:08 AM
Rainer is playing this week in Memphis right?

rhubarb
02-21-2006, 08:31 AM
So what? Rainer beat Federer too.

Big freaking deal about the 3-0 choke from Roddick in 2003 MC. Shocking.

For your info, although you can look it up just as well as I can:
Federer - Schuettler 3:1, Rainer won the last one in 2002 and they've not played since.
Schuettler - Roddick 3:1, Rainer won all three in 2003, and that was what I was referring to.

Nobody was talking about Roddick choking at the 2003 MC. I don't even think he did.

rhubarb
02-21-2006, 08:32 AM
Rainer is playing this week in Memphis right?

Yep. Murray in the first round tomorrow.

GRANITECHIEF
02-21-2006, 08:58 AM
Yep. Murray in the first round tomorrow.
Tough draw, doubt he'll get through as Murray is on fire!

MonkeyPox
02-21-2006, 10:19 AM
He played here in San Jose last week and was smoked in about two seconds in the first round.

!Tym
02-21-2006, 01:00 PM
Shows how important confidence is in the game though. But more than that, I think it show how important having a big serve is when trying to come back from injury.

In general, the biggest thing is that I believe it's MUCH easier for players with a big serve to "return to form" from injury, especially anything to their lower extremities that may have limited their speed and/or fitness...though really any injury, due to the time off, could cause that.

Chang, Bruguera, Schuettler, Rios, Pioline, Korda, etc.

Look at Krajicek. He was able to take 1.5 years off and still able to nearly make the finals of Wimbledon just like that. Yes, it was grass; but that's kind of the point.

On clay or hard, I don't think you can just comeback at less than your physical best, and just waltz your way deep into the tournament.

People don't remember but Petr Korda was a top prospect in the early 90s and had already established himself in the top ten, was a French Open finalist, won the Grand Slam Cup in remarkable fashion. When he had an affected groin problem, he was still able to play for several years, but he was no longer the same player even though he was still young and had "weapons" in his explosive groundies. Basically, like overnight he dropped overnight into journeyman status. Why? As he later revealed, it was not because his talent dissapeared it was because he could only play at 70-75% of himself due to the pain of his groin.

Note, that someone like Sampras with his serve firing on all cylinders could still manage to hang around in the top 20...even though Korda could beat him even back then too, prior to being "affected." So, when he finally recovered, it was not a surprise to me at least that he was able to beat Sampras again when everyone was so "shocked" how this "journeyman" could beat Sampras...again the TALENT does not dissapear, the body does.

When his serve due to fatigue was less than at its "freshest" in the finals against Safin and Hewitt at the US Open, they took advantage of it immediately and made him look very ordinary. Note, however, that it took two elite players in the ZONE to do that, and more importantly it took place in the FINALS of a slam.

The serve is ridiculously important in the game, and again 10 times more so if you're movement or fitness is not quite what it used to be.

Making the finals of a slam not at your peak is GREAT, but shows to the Clement's of the world why it's so much harder for someone like him who doesn't have the massive serve to "comeback" from injury...though he's finally starting to get his game back now.

!Tym
02-21-2006, 01:12 PM
Also, look at Goran as another example. He dropped like a ROCK once his serve abandoned him. Why? He had major shoulder problems. Before he won Wimbledon out of nowhere that year, he lost in the FIRST ROUND of QUALIFYING at the Australian Open...that's how far he had dropped.

Yet, at Wimbledon, that year, he stockpiled on the pain killers for a fortnight and managed one last run...all of a sudden, just like that, this guy who was so in the dumps that he needed a wildcard to get into the tournament, was able to "turn on" his serve like a light switch, suck up the pain for two weeks, and win a slam.

Funny isn't it? How come Chang couldn't just "turn on" his "A" game again for maybe one last run at the US Open when he was in the dumps? Why because his serve was the same dumpling it always had been. You can't just decide to "suck it up" one week, and crank up the serve again if you're Chang.

Chang lost a two steps after tearing his ACL, and thus was never able to again "relive" his prime, sell your soul to the devil if you will, for two "magical" weeks where you are miraculously able to "turn back the clock" like Goran did...like Sampras did in his last Open.

devila
02-21-2006, 05:07 PM
Roddick didn't even take the 2003 Australian Open seriously. He landed on his wrist and limply went into the semifinal. He played lazily early in the quarterfinal match and paid the price. His hero Pat McEnroe and John McEnroe kept making a big deal about the El Aynaoui marathon.
The same thing happened in Indian Wells and Masters Cup. He destroyed himself with passiveness and had a bad ankle in a 3 hour 4th round match. Then, he was dumped easily out of Indian Wells.
With Brad Gilbert's approval, he arrived in Masters Cup right after spending a week doing a comedy show. He was out of shape and delusional (he repeatedly celebrated a 3-0 lead, double faulted and choked. He dragged his legs aroiund the rest of the match and proceeding match).

hoosierbr
02-22-2006, 02:57 PM
This is getting ridiculous.

Rainer won the first set against Murray 6-1. He served for the match at 5-4 in the second. Reached 30-15 and then fell apart. Won only two more games after that, in the third set.

WTF???????????

I can only imagine how he must feel. Top 5 to journeyman in only two years.

Gugafan_Redux
02-22-2006, 04:30 PM
Roddick didn't even take the 2003 Australian Open seriously. He landed on his wrist and limply went into the semifinal. He played lazily early in the quarterfinal match and paid the price. His hero Pat McEnroe and John McEnroe kept making a big deal about the El Aynaoui marathon.
The same thing happened in Indian Wells and Masters Cup. He destroyed himself with passiveness and had a bad ankle in a 3 hour 4th round match. Then, he was dumped easily out of Indian Wells.
With Brad Gilbert's approval, he arrived in Masters Cup right after spending a week doing a comedy show. He was out of shape and delusional (he repeatedly celebrated a 3-0 lead, double faulted and choked. He dragged his legs aroiund the rest of the match and proceeding match).

Wow, Devilla wins the covetted 2006 Hater Threadjack of the Year Award.

I'm dumbfounded. That Roddick / El Aynaoui match was fantastic. Roddick is on a slump right now, a big one, and his series of coaches are not fixing it. But for god's sake, put down the 64 oz. bottle of HaterAde and get some perspective! This thread was about Schuettler, comebacks, the importance of big serve's, etc.

Yours!05
02-22-2006, 04:53 PM
Why won't devila reveal who his fave players are?:confused:

okdude1992
02-22-2006, 05:30 PM
he probably doesn't have one... I bet he'll say something stuck up like "My favorite player is myself because i'm so f***ing good i can trashtalk every tennis player on the planet"

get a life devilla... any true tennis fan knows that the roddick - el aynaoui match was incredible... I'd like to see you play 5 hrs of pro level tennis on national television!! The truth of the matter is that however much any of you ppl who dont like roddick now and who think he sucks (which he obviously doesn't because he has been top 5 since 2003) he was part of a special match that night! Those fans who were there watching it were lucky dogs... That match is definitely one of the best (if not the best) ever...

Besides isn't this thread about rainer schuttler???

Moose Malloy
02-23-2006, 10:01 AM
http://www.tennis-x.com/story/2006-02-23/d.php

Murray and Schuettler had a heated exchange that lasted nearly a minute before chair umpire Norm Chryst intervened, with Murray complaining about the German's complaining on line calls the whole match.

"Basically, I hadn't said anything the whole match after the second game," Murray said. "He was complaining every single close call the whole match. In the third set...I was throwing the ball up to serve and he was still speaking (to Chryst) when I was in my motion. The umpire didn't say anything, and (Schuettler) thought I was saying something bad about him. I was just asking (Schuettler) when I throw the ball up if he could stop speaking."

Docalex007
02-23-2006, 10:15 AM
The guy finished top 5 in -- what was it? -- 2003. P Mac talked about him being one of the fittest guys on tour. Then he just vanished.

Just a case of burnout?

He's back in Germany working on his farm, growing and selling apples.

rhubarb
02-23-2006, 10:59 AM
Why won't devila reveal who his fave players are?:confused:

devila = she
favourite player = Roddick (seriously, despite all the negative comments about him; she really does hate Federer though)

Sweden
02-26-2006, 09:48 AM
I think he really switched to another racket from his good old PC 600. I think his new racket is longer and has a bigger head size, that might be one reason. Yes, I know about paint jobs.. but I saw a video clip when he was talking and showing his new racket...

http://images.google.se/imgres?imgurl=http://www.isospeed-junior-circuit.de/Images%252005/schuettler_01.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.isospeed-junior-circuit.de/Schirmherr/schirmherr.html&h=244&w=250&sz=39&tbnid=dHxcTnSXEbpOHM:&tbnh=103&tbnw=106&hl=sv&start=34&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dschuettler%26start%3D20%26svnum%3D10% 26hl%3Dsv%26hs%3D3TP%26lr%3D%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:sv-SE:official_s%26sa%3DN

Yours!05
02-26-2006, 12:17 PM
devila = she
favourite player = Roddick (seriously, despite all the negative comments about him;Oh I see. A lover spurned thing going on - but no closer to fave yet.:cool: