PDA

View Full Version : Righty having difficulty serving up the T from ad court

sinoslav
02-29-2004, 10:22 AM
I'm a 4.0 righty and my serve has made vast improvements of late; on the deuce court I can place it pretty consistently down the T, into the corner, and into the body; but on the ad court I can hit it into the corner and in the middle of the service box, but I have trouble getting anywhere near the T, even with slice. When I do get it close to the T from ad court, it's always a very weak serve with just a bit of topspin. Any suggestions on getting closer to the T with a bit of pace?

vin
02-29-2004, 10:30 AM
Try tossing the ball slightly more forward and to your left. This applies to hitting out wide on the deuce court also. Your shoulders have to rotate more to hit these two spots and the most natural contact point is a little more forward and to your left as a result of the additional rotation.

If you have a closed stance that is parallel to the baseline, or close to it, this will often make these two locations difficult as well. But if you don't have a problem serving wide to the deuce court, I would think it has more to do with your toss.

Vin

Momo
02-29-2004, 06:33 PM
Hmmm... I dunno about the toss thing vin recommended. It's true that the contact point will be more to your left but I don't think that's actually what you want. It's more about angles than contact lateral contact positions, and the further off from the centerline your contact point is, the harder it is to get the angles that will get the ball to land near the T in the service box, but not too close to the returner's forehand sweet area. I think with just about everybody I play, the further right they toss the ball, the more to the receiver's forehand (righty) the ball will go and vice versa. This little concept personally works for me as well. The more to the receiver's backhand I want to hit the ball, the more I toss it to the left of my hitting shoulder and the more I want to hit to the receiver's forehand, the more I toss it to the right of my hitting shoulder. On the ad court, hitting down the T would mean serving wide to the opponent's forehand. When I serve down the T, I think the most effective type of serve is a mostly flat serve with slight slice. Basically I just do a flat serve where I don't pronate my forearm all the way and it seems to do the job for me. I toss the ball slightly in front and to the right.

Like vin mentioned, stance could be an issue. Also where along the baseline you position yourself to serve might come into play. Obviously, the closer to the center you position yourself, the easier it will be to serve down the T and the wider you position yourself, the easier it will be to serve out wide. This is true for both deuce and ad court.

Cypo
03-01-2004, 09:24 AM
For a flat serve, I hit with a very loose wrist. When I want to go down the T, I extend my pointer finger, which helps keep the racquet face square to the baseline. My coach thinks this is really weird, but since she has trouble returning my serve, she's not trying to change it.

Stinkdyr
03-01-2004, 09:45 AM
cypo, interesting idea with the finger pointing.....I will try that.

sinoslav
03-01-2004, 06:38 PM
So...I gave the suggestions a try today and my conclusion is: tossing farther in front of me gives the best results. I wind up hitting the ball more squarely forward and get good placement near the T. Plus the bonus is that since depth is much more difficult to perceive than right/left, this method keeps good deception on the serve. Tossing to the right/left didn't yield me any consistent results.

Thanks all for the suggestions.