PDA

View Full Version : Pete Sampras Vs Donald Young

Volly master
02-21-2006, 11:37 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3671524.html

"Here's the perfect matchup for Pete Sampras in his exhibition debut: Donald Young Jr. The past vs. the future of American tennis.

Young, 16, finished 2005 as the No. 1 junior in the world (he's currently fourth) and was too young to face off against the Grand Slam king, who hasn't played competitively since winning the 2002 U.S. Open.

Sampras' last match was a victory over Andre Agassi at the Open.

In his last match in Houston, also in 2002, he lost to Agassi in the U.S. Clay Court semifinals at Westside Tennis Club."

WHAt has the world come too??? at least Sam queery is better then this kid

Moose Malloy
02-21-2006, 11:43 AM
I don't think he'll actually play Young, that's just the writer's suggestion.

Bones08
02-22-2006, 03:02 PM
I hope Donald soes get to play him. Even if he loses, so what. People can say what they want about Querry and all the other kids, but Donald won a Junior Slam at 15 years old. They didn't, so that's what counts.

Max G.
02-22-2006, 03:12 PM
I hope Donald soes get to play him. Even if he loses, so what. People can say what they want about Querry and all the other kids, but Donald won a Junior Slam at 15 years old. They didn't, so that's what counts.

Well, except that that really doesn't. What matters is results in the pros, which Donald has NOT yet had, which is why many think he's overhyped.

arnz
02-22-2006, 03:16 PM
I think even an older Pete should be able to handle a 16 year old, junior champ or not. dont you think?

Bones08
02-22-2006, 05:14 PM
Overhyped is when you're expected to deliver and you don't, most of the time in the longrun. He was 15/16, and he's not even 17 yet. We have to realize that he is a kid.

West Coast Ace
02-22-2006, 05:53 PM
Overhyped is when you're expected to deliver and you don't, most of the time in the longrun. He was 15/16, and he's not even 17 yet. We have to realize that he is a kid.When someone says a player is overhyped they're not necessarily ragging on the player - it's very likely they're upset that the press is prematurely heaping praise on the player. Or that some in the player's camp - e.g. Donald's Mom and Dad - make ridiculous statements.

I don't see either Young or Sampras gaining anything by playing. If they were to go out on the court and just rally that would be cool.

Bones08
02-22-2006, 06:18 PM
When someone says a player is overhyped they're not necessarily ragging on the player - it's very likely they're upset that the press is prematurely heaping praise on the player. Or that some in the player's camp - e.g. Donald's Mom and Dad - make ridiculous statements.

I don't see either Young or Sampras gaining anything by playing. If they were to go out on the court and just rally that would be cool.

I understand, you are right. But what has Illona and Donald sr said that was ridiculous.

DaveGrable
02-22-2006, 06:25 PM
I understand, you are right. But what has Illona and Donald sr said that was ridiculous.

His dad said he's better than Pete Sampras and will go on to break Sampras's records. If that's not ridiculous, I don't what is.

The kid is short, has no serve, and no big weapons. How does that make him better than Sampras?

Max G.
02-22-2006, 09:09 PM
I think even an older Pete should be able to handle a 16 year old, junior champ or not. dont you think?

No, don't think so...

It's not the age that would hurt Pete, it's lack of practice. I think that a 16-year-old junior champ would be able to beat a former legend that has barely practiced at all for 3 years.

It would be a fun match, but win or lose it wouldn't really mean much, in my opinion.

Hal
02-22-2006, 09:29 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3671524.html

"Here's the perfect matchup for Pete Sampras in his exhibition debut: Donald Young Jr. The past vs. the future of American tennis.

Young, 16, finished 2005 as the No. 1 junior in the world (he's currently fourth) and was too young to face off against the Grand Slam king, who hasn't played competitively since winning the 2002 U.S. Open.

Sampras' last match was a victory over Andre Agassi at the Open.

In his last match in Houston, also in 2002, he lost to Agassi in the U.S. Clay Court semifinals at Westside Tennis Club."

Well, that's strange??? According to ATPTennis.com, Sampras beast Agassi at Houston on Clay in 2002 (6-1, 7-5)
http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/headtohead/head2head.asp?player1=sampras&player2=agassi

aznkb888
02-22-2006, 09:37 PM
I think Sampras lost to Roddick that year in Houston...not Agassi...

http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/headtohead/head2head.asp?player1=Sampras%2C+Pete&player2=Roddick%2C+Andy&playernum2=R485

morten
02-23-2006, 12:48 AM
i feel sorry for mr Young, so...young.. and so much publicity. The last thing he needs right now is a match against Sampras. He needs to focus and train hard, play tournaments, no not atp. I think he is a great talent, sadly tennis has changed a lot the last 10 years, not rewarding Young and his timing and flow. Boy i miss Stich and Edberg....

equinox
02-23-2006, 04:58 AM
No, don't think so...

It's not the age that would hurt Pete, it's lack of practice. I think that a 16-year-old junior champ would be able to beat a former legend that has barely practiced at all for 3 years.

Don't make me laugh.

I'll tell you something, a guy who coaches (open level, ITN2) at my club played donald in a practice set during the ausopen and lost to him 6-4.

Now this guy is a very high level coach but he isn't on the PRO circuit. He's driver and practise partner during the ausopen. Donald could only beat him 6-4!

Now imagine what a legend like sampras would do to this youngster.

morten
02-23-2006, 05:20 AM
pretty lame to compare practice sets IMO. I know i play different in a match situation...

Volly master
02-23-2006, 06:46 AM
Donald Young got pwed from some italian guy in the US open 6,1,2.

he doesnt have a shot against pete.

Skppr05
02-23-2006, 07:48 AM
I agree. He may not have been on the tour for awhile but Pete has a mountain of experience compared to young's little dirt mound of it

buder
02-23-2006, 08:07 AM
this whole thing smacks of carnival. seems like it should made for the Big Screen, you know, with exaggerrated gestures and sound effects. I feel like during change-over there should be midgets with spray bottles sent to oil-up the player's muscles.

Sampras doesn't need to be in some dog and poney show. Have some class Pete! Get back to the real tour with Agassi. Win or lose, we'd love to see you play some REAL tennis.

baseliner
02-23-2006, 09:39 AM
Donald Young is a young kid with a nice all around game that is not ready for the ATP tour. Nothign wrong with that. His Dad apparently sees him as a meal ticket. When he talks about Donald winning more Grand Slams than Sampras I am reminded that Michael Chang was winning matches on the ATP at 15 and a Grand Slam at 17. So far Donald Yound has not shown me he can even surpass Chang let alone Sampras.

Max G.
02-23-2006, 11:17 AM
Don't make me laugh.

I'll tell you something, a guy who coaches (open level, ITN2) at my club played donald in a practice set during the ausopen and lost to him 6-4.

Now this guy is a very high level coach but he isn't on the PRO circuit. He's driver and practise partner during the ausopen. Donald could only beat him 6-4!

Now imagine what a legend like sampras would do to this youngster.

Oh, Sampras could certainly beat him IF he had had any practice. But from what I gathered, he really hasn't been practicing or keeping in shape since he retired - and if he comes into the match with Donald Young "cold turkey," with only a couple of days of hitting, then I'd guess that he simply won't be able to play anywhere near consisent enough. If Sampras takes this match SERIOUSLY, and spends a couple of weeks or a month beforehand getting back into a rhythm and comes into the match well-prepared, then yeah, there's no contest... but that's not a certainty in my mind, I don't know how Sampras is approaching this thing.

The comparison with a top-level coach is kind of irrelevant - I would assume that this coach hits on a regular basis and hasn't been out of the game for three years. You said himself - he's a practice partner during the aus open! I'm not certain that Sampras, in his retirement, would have any better of a score against him.

Kaptain Karl
02-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Oh, Sampras could certainly beat him IF he had had any practice. But from what I gathered, he really hasn't been practicing or keeping in shape since he retired - and if he comes into the match with Donald Young "cold turkey," with only a couple of days of hitting, then I'd guess that he simply won't be able to play anywhere near consisent enough. ...Wow! Do we ever disagree!!! I firmly believe Pete could play Donald *right now, today* and SPANK him in straights. (Young is good, but Sampras was -- by comparison -- in the stratosphere.)

- KK

Freedom
02-24-2006, 11:13 AM
Donald's goal for his career went from "Winning the Grand Slam twice" to "winning an ATP match", after his first match on the pro circuit.

I think this kid is very overhyped.

VGP
02-24-2006, 11:19 AM
By a lot of hearsay, it seems that Sampras hasn't been practicing....

Perhaps he has. Doesn't anyone know him or know for sure? I'm just wondering.

I don't think it's like he was Thomas Muster and vegged out, drank beer, and ate chocolate all day. Even Muster's got it back together and is out on the senior tour.

If Pete's in decent shape then it should be fun. I don't think his ego would allow otherwise.

legolas
02-24-2006, 02:00 PM
if young is the future of usa tennis, yall are in big trouble

badmice2
02-24-2006, 02:24 PM
so anyone know the final score for this? Curious to know how good/bad Young did.

Docalex007
02-24-2006, 02:40 PM
if young is the future of usa tennis, yall are in big trouble

who's y'all? You seem to live in the US.

Volly master
02-24-2006, 02:43 PM
who's y'all? You seem to live in the US.

y'all

is slang for "you all"

and for badmice2 -

it hasnt happened yet, possiably in the next couple of weeks prehaps.

Max G.
02-24-2006, 06:36 PM
Wow! Do we ever disagree!!! I firmly believe Pete could play Donald *right now, today* and SPANK him in straights. (Young is good, but Sampras was -- by comparison -- in the stratosphere.)

- KK

Well, I was going by a couple of things...

Sampras's last year or two on tour - he raised his game for the big moments like the US Open, but overall wasn't too impressive. Think George Bastl. And all the other low-ranked pros that beat him. Then assume Sampras goes down a couple more notches for being out of shape, and a couple more notches for not playing for three years, and IMO that would bring him down to the level of a junior champion.

I suppose it really depends on how quickly expertise like that goes away with lack of practice. I was generally of the impression that once you get to the level of top juniors/low-level pros/high-level pros, the difference between players is really very slight, and that not playing for a while could certainly have a very significant impact.

I don't know for sure though, since I am not and never will be a high-level pro ;)

gokou703
02-24-2006, 09:33 PM
i'm sure if pete did a lilttle cardio before the match he'd beat donald quite easily. no cardio...not sure.. i dont see pete being serving and volleying for a very long time..

Kaptain Karl
02-24-2006, 09:54 PM
I don't know for sure though, since I am not and never will be a high-level pro
One thing we both agree on ... and share ... friend.

- KK

LN_Dad
02-25-2006, 09:51 AM
Guess what? DY won 2 matches in the Futures event in Brownsville, TX this week. Has he ever won a futures level match before this week?

Max G.
02-25-2006, 12:42 PM
I think so, I think he'd won one or two earlier this year. Not sure.

[goes to atptennis.com]

Yep, he did - earlier this year he got to the semifinals of U.S.A. F3, beating [three people I've never heard of] and losing to Ivan Miranda.

Also, last year he had won two matches in U.S.A F9.

He's also played a couple of doubles futures, also having about the same results in them.

Volly master
02-26-2006, 06:40 AM
yeah, well futures arnt the same level of play as they are on the ATP tour, notice why its called the "minor" leauges :)

LN_Dad
02-26-2006, 08:21 AM
yeah, well futures arnt the same level of play as they are on the ATP tour, notice why its called the "minor" leauges :)

Nobody here claimed that it's the same level but it's still an accomplishment. Can you claim you won 2 matches at this level? :rolleyes:

PBODY99
02-26-2006, 08:32 AM
Donald is still has a bit of growing to do. The comparison to Chang discounts how the tour has changed. It took Roger a few years to become ROGER,so give the kid a break. Also any JUNIOR world # 1 on the men's side. Tennis is closer to football these days than basketball, you need to be a full grown player to win.
IMG is the agency that manages both players, hmmmmmmm, $$$$ signs anyone?:cool:

vllockhart
02-26-2006, 11:04 AM
He's 16 years old. DAMN, give him time to grow up before you start comparing him to other people. Sheesh.