PDA

View Full Version : I got my gut wet!

a verrry large duck
06-14-2004, 08:34 PM
Is there anything I can do to rehabilitate the strings? What's gonna happen? is it gonna lose all its tension or is it gonna snap??
The suspense is killing me.

bigserving
06-14-2004, 09:16 PM
Let the rest of us know what happens.

Swan Song
06-14-2004, 09:36 PM
avld, just dry the strings and you will be fine. Avoid getting it splashed again and keep it away from dirt and dust.

PHSTennis
06-14-2004, 10:44 PM
Theres some wax coating on there isnt there... yeah just dry it with a towel.. and try not to get it wet again, you can protect it with wax... Nothings going to happen if it was just a little sprinkle and you dried it quickly... doesnt effect much... calm down ;) I get that feeling when I see strings 3/4 dented and im in 1st set on a 2nd racquet haha, I resting my primary racquet before IMPORTANT matches now... ;)

bsandy
06-15-2004, 06:59 AM
Put it on the dash of your car, in ths sun, but for only 5 minutes.

. . . Bud

Stinkdyr
06-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Place it between your legs, now bend over, and kiss it goodbye.

bigserving
06-18-2004, 08:07 PM
Big Duck,

I am curious to know how the strings are holding up and the story of how on earth you got them wet in the first place.

a verrry large duck
06-18-2004, 09:04 PM
I've played four matches after my "post-mortem" prediction, and tension's same, playability's same, touch is still there, same as it was a month ago after the gut settled in. I see a little more "gut hairs" and that might have been due to the wet outer layer shedding faster, but that's about it. I am happy. I was kicking myself because i was in an important match when it started raining, and couldn't bring myself to bust out the synthetic gut backup racquet to save my gut, so i played through a whole set light rain on a wettened clay court. I just couldnt' afford the step down in touch, feel, and power in such a tight match, so I stuck with the gut in the rain. Everything worked out a-okay.

finchy
06-18-2004, 09:17 PM
what kind of racquet do you use? headsize?

bcaz
06-18-2004, 11:34 PM
Gee, I dunno, sounds very lucky. I say cut it out and don't let it happen again. I had a gorgeous, new gut set-up get rained on once and it quickly turned into scraggly yarn. I cut it out.

Steve Huff
06-19-2004, 08:32 AM
I'd get a rag and some baby oil. Pour some baby oil on the rag and wipe the string bed with it. The oil will restore some of the natural oils in the gut. Oil will also repel water. I coat all new gut jobs with baby oil, mainly because it helps take out the "bite marks" left by the clamps, but I think it may add a little life to it also.