PDA

View Full Version : Training to get stronger arm.

XRanger
06-14-2004, 08:01 PM
I need to be able to hit harder groundstroke because most players can hit my ball back and it's hard for me to put away because my shots aren't powerful enough. So, does anyone know any excercise or training that can help me get stronger arm/wrist?

PhatAbbott
06-15-2004, 05:53 AM
I think you should work on chest back stomach and muscles aswell. These are far bigger muscles than found in the arms. So you will gain far more power and strength working these.

An example is Andre Agassi. Perhaps the strongest hitter on the tour although his arms are not huge.

The other area to work on in your technique. All this power you use will go to waste if your not using it efficiantly. Get some coaching and try to incorperate the larger muscles into your strokes.

If you work on these things less and less balls will start to come back :-). Have fun.

netman
06-15-2004, 11:38 AM
Most power on groundstrokes comes from the legs and core (abs, back). Focus on strengthening those areas and you will see big results.

Iy may be that you are using too much arm now. You may want to have a pro review your form.

XRanger
06-15-2004, 01:06 PM
Anyone know any good excercise that I can do at home to help my back, abs and legs? or any websites that have them? because I can't afford gym membership, so I usually just work out at home.

gmlasam
06-15-2004, 04:18 PM
Anyone know any good excercise that I can do at home to help my back, abs and legs? or any websites that have them? because I can't afford gym membership, so I usually just work out at home.go here, http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/index.html

Click on the exercise link on the left.

netman
06-16-2004, 09:38 AM
Donald Chu has a great book out called "Power Tennis Training". Its pretty inexpensive through Amazon. It has great routines tailored to the specific needs of tennis. I've used it and seen great results.

Body building exercises and routines will make you look better, but they don't really have any application to tennis. You need to create power and strength by replicating the movements you perform on the court.

gmlasam
06-16-2004, 05:12 PM
Donald Chu has a great book out called "Power Tennis Training". Its pretty inexpensive through Amazon. It has great routines tailored to the specific needs of tennis. I've used it and seen great results.

Body building exercises and routines will make you look better, but they don't really have any application to tennis. You need to create power and strength by replicating the movements you perform on the court. In that book you suggested, "Power Tennis Training", outlined weight training programs and exercises used in bodybuilding or any weight training program for that matter. Those exercises were not designed solely for tennis, they were infact designed to work a specific muscle or muscle groups. Your muscles response to resistance, and it does not know whether you are training for tennis or body building. The bottom line is to make your muscles much more stronger so that they do not fatigue as quckly and less prone to injuries, thus help with your tennis playing overall. These are the same exercise used universally, be it in tennis, in rehab, swimming, boxing, bodybuilding, or just be in shape..

netman
06-17-2004, 04:28 AM
My mistake. I see you were recommending weight training exercises, not bodybuilding exercises. Bodybuilding requires a different focus during weight training, as the goal is hypertrophy of the muscle bodies. Typical body building routines involve very heavy weight loads and one set of a small number of reps.

Simbah2004
07-17-2004, 08:35 AM
Also remember to work on your rotator cuff muscles. They are "finess" muscles (light weights with rubber band and dumbbells will do the trick) hold the stronger muscles together and most programs don't include exercises for these muscles. Like in my case, my big shoulder muscles were quite strong, but the rotator was not exercised properly until it gave out on me.

cakewalk
07-17-2004, 09:01 AM
I think this has got to be done carefully and knowingly because strengthening one part of the body without others can place unnatural stress on the weaker regions and thus cause injuries.

PHSTennis
07-17-2004, 02:48 PM
I saw Agassi at the Mercedes Benz cup hes not that big but he can sure rip the ball, I started to weight train, after 2 weeks, its much easier to hit and I hit way harder... I just work out every muscle... :)

Bertchel Banks
08-02-2004, 09:32 PM
Strengthen your forearm. I don't know what it's called, but I use a device shaped like the letter A that I squeeze on. I started light, but currently I do one thousand per hand every night.