PDA

View Full Version : My introduction into Nat. Gut

swedishstar
06-14-2004, 08:06 PM
Well, I am ordering a few more frames (Surge X)...

I want to experiment with NG this one time...

So here's the deal...

Considering the specs on the Surge X

Midplus Specs
Head Size:
100 sq. in. / 645 sq. cm.
Length: 27.5 inches / 70 cm
Strung Weight: 11.1oz / 315g
Balance: 7pts Head Light
Swingweight: 322
Stiffness: 68
Beam Width: 25-26 mm
Composition: Graphite / Hyper Carbon
Power Level: Medium
Swing Speed: Medium-Fast
Grip Type: Wilson TL Gel
String Pattern:
16 Mains / 19 Crosses
Mains skip: 8T,8H
One Piece
No shared holes
String Tension: 53-63 pounds

What should I string it at with a Natural Gut...

Should I start in the middle of my tension range (and then just go from there) or will it be too powerful?

What is a good string?

I'm not really concerned with breaking strings, as i have don't break at all, if not very often

bigserving
06-14-2004, 08:11 PM
I use BDE Performance strung a couple of pounds over the recommended max.

It really is a trial and error process that never really comes to an end!!

Good luck, have fun.

swedishstar
06-14-2004, 08:16 PM
I use BDE Performance strung a couple of pounds over the recommended max.

It really is a trial and error process that never really comes to an end!!

Good luck, have fun.

How would 62 lbs. sound?

Natural Gut is more powerful right?

My last racquet was strung at 61 with Lightning XX 16. Too stiff.

bigserving
06-14-2004, 08:27 PM
62 pounds sounds good to me, but it is really up to you. Gut can be way more powerful than nylon. Factors include, pre-stretching, the frame, your style of play etc.

My personal experience is that too tight makes me make a stroke adjustment. Too loose, the racquet can be almost unplayable.

Then again, that is just me.

swedishstar
06-14-2004, 08:34 PM
62 pounds sounds good to me, but it is really up to you. Gut can be way more powerful than nylon. Factors include, pre-stretching, the frame, your style of play etc.

My personal experience is that too tight makes me make a stroke adjustment. Too loose, the racquet can be almost unplayable.

Then again, that is just me.

Well, I was thinking 62 would be about right...for a first time...

If its too powerful I will just let up or put a little but more spin on the ball. I don't think 62 will be overkill for power though

a verrry large duck
06-14-2004, 08:34 PM
honestly, I think this is the wrong racquet to put gut in it. 100 sq. inches is just waayyy too big, you're gonna launch balls into the tarp. Not all lost though, you are a prime candidate for gut, as you don't break strings, people like us should thank our lucky stars because we can enjoy gut, unlike the string breakers. You may want to try a gut/luxilon hybrid with gut in the mains, or all luxilon. Or if you really want to do gut in this racquet, I'd recommend 15 gauge strung up really tight.

swedishstar
06-14-2004, 08:40 PM
honestly, I think this is the wrong racquet to put gut in it. 100 sq. inches is just waayyy too big, you're gonna launch balls into the tarp. Not all lost though, you are a prime candidate for gut, as you don't break strings, people like us should thank our lucky stars because we can enjoy gut, unlike the string breakers. You may want to try a gut/luxilon hybrid with gut in the mains, or all luxilon. Or if you really want to do gut in this racquet, I'd recommend 15 gauge strung up really tight.

hmm...

Well, I am borrowing a Surge X right now actually, Strung up with some Luxilon BB (not sure on the EXACT string) and I LOVE it! It didn't really hurt my arm when I played with it, but I am weary after all these hate threads on Luxilon. I could do a hybrid, suggestions? or is what you stated about great?

swedishstar
06-14-2004, 08:44 PM
I don't know if I should experiment quite yet with Gut and Hybrids...

I think i'll go with a full Luxilon...

Name some that would stand out...

I'm not a string breaker, as previously said, so durability of BB isn't quite needed.

Maybe something with a little more feel? This BB in the racquet feels rewarding when hit well...

what about a Klip line...I'm interested in all string brands that could resemble the Lux.

a verrry large duck
06-14-2004, 09:11 PM
there a couple dudes on the boards who know all about the luxilons because they've played with lots of them they're probably be dropping in and they know more than me, myself I just know alu power and was happy enough to not really try the others, matter of fact i got an unopened pack of TIMO that I'll probably never use until alu power lets me down, which will probably be never. My only gripe about alu power is that it loses playability too fast, my gosen polylon lasts probably twice as long before losing its playability. It may be just that alu power plays so darn well the first couple times out, that any drop is a letdown.

swedishstar
06-14-2004, 09:13 PM
there a couple dudes on the boards who know all about the luxilons because they've played with lots of them they're probably be dropping in and they know more than me, myself I just know alu power and was happy enough to not really try the others, matter of fact i got an unopened pack of TIMO that I'll probably never use until alu power lets me down, which will probably be never. My only gripe about alu power is that it loses playability too fast, my gosen polylon lasts probably twice as long before losing its playability. It may be just that alu power plays so darn well the first couple times out, that any drop is a letdown.

I guess i'm just too worried about what Michael Chahahahahhao (however you spell it) has said.

Maybe if it gives me problems I can just go with another string.

Tomorrow morning i'll call up my friend and see what it's strung up with. 12:14 is a tad too late.

tennisnoob
06-15-2004, 12:51 AM
Try Babolat VS Team 17, its expensive but its given the best feel amongst all i've tried so far. If you string guts as mains, chances are your guts will break even faster compared to guts strung as cross strings. I mean i really don't understand the logic of stringing guts as mains and poly as cross, coz you will want the guts to provide the feel and bite whilst the poly strings provide the control. My current strings combination has worked really well for me so far, you might want to give it a try....

au
06-15-2004, 01:27 AM
Can I suggest Gamma Natural Gut 16g strings? Great feel, power, and control. The 16g comes in 40ft. and the 15L comes in 38ft. They go for $35 a pop but you can get them from me for just $26. Let me know.

gawl2000@yahoo.com

bigserving
06-15-2004, 05:16 PM

100 sqare inches is just a mid-plus. I have never heard any info about that being too big for gut. Several touring pros use gut in 110s.

Have fun. Try it for yourself.

jings
06-15-2004, 06:10 PM
Guy I hit with has Wilson "Hammertec" I think it's called - some poly / kevlar hybrid sort of monster - in his Surge X at 70! Feels tougher than concrete and he smacks the beje$u$ out of the ball ...

a verrry large duck
06-15-2004, 08:08 PM
bigserving:

100 sqare inches is just a mid-plus. I have never heard any info about that being too big for gut. Several touring pros use gut in 110s.

Just a personal opinion, and I do think 100-110 head sizes and full gut jobs go together like oil and water, it just isn't what gut feels and controls like in a sweet midsize stick. You have to string up pretty tight if you're thinking about putting all gut in 100-110 size range. That's why I said, if you really want to try it, I'd recommend a 15 gauge gut that you can pull really tight, I'm talking like very high 60's to tame the power, and not phear early breakage also as gut is real expensive.

bigserving
06-16-2004, 07:54 AM
bigserving:

Just a personal opinion, and I do think 100-110 head sizes and full gut jobs go together like oil and water, it just isn't what gut feels and controls like in a sweet midsize stick. You have to string up pretty tight if you're thinking about putting all gut in 100-110 size range. That's why I said, if you really want to try it, I'd recommend a 15 gauge gut that you can pull really tight, I'm talking like very high 60's to tame the power, and not phear early breakage also as gut is real expensive.

I use 17g natural gut in a 95 head and I don't break strings. I just can't fathom going from that up five square inches in frame size would be "way too big." Venus and Serena both use natural gut in their 110's. They hit fairly hard with fair control and I don't recall them having problems with breakage.

I strung a hard-hitting friend's 110 with 17g BDE (for his birthday) and that set lasted about as long as his nylon lasts.

Just my view.

swedishstar
06-16-2004, 09:37 AM
I just went ful Lux on these.