PDA

View Full Version : ATW Question

TennsDog
06-14-2004, 08:44 PM
I understand the process of stringing ATW and why to do it. However, there is one thing that has me stumped. An early step is to weave the short side 7th main into the first cross at the head, tension it, and then tie it off as if it was the last cross going from throat to head. But, when there is only one string, how do you tension it? Normally, I wait to tension any crosses until I have woven the second cross and then do the first two together, but there is no way (that I know of) to clamp a single string, as ATW would prduce, to keep tension. Is this done by just pulling manually?

a verrry large duck
06-14-2004, 10:05 PM
Do you have a "starting clamp". You can clamp that last cross string on the outside of the frame while the string is being tensioned, and let up the tension and the starting clamp will hold the tension against the outside of the frame. Also do you use flying clamps? the ones where two opposing tensions on adjacent strings is used to keep the tension on each other? If you got a pair of fixed clamps that is tied down to the base, they only clamp one string at a time by design.

Jerry Seinfeld
06-15-2004, 03:56 AM
Tennsdog,

The pattern you are describing does require an additional clamp. If you are only working with two fixed clamps there are other patterns you may use.

One of my favorite ATW patterns is to string the short side and tie off. With the long side you have some variables. The easiest scenario is when the mains end at the head. When this occurs just start the long string at the first cross and weave your way down.

The next scenario is when the mains end at the throat. Don't string the last main on the long side. You will weave this in later. Instead, end it at the head and start weaving your crosses. If you have an EVEN number of crosses, you will begin weaving on the first cross string. Weave all the way down. When you reach the bottom you will then weave the final main and tie off.

If you have an ODD number of crosses, you will begin weaving at the 2nd cross. Finish the crosses. Weave the final main back to the head. Weave the first cross. Tie off and you are done.

This method can be used for virtually any racquet and does not require additional clamps.

Cool huh?

TennsDog
06-15-2004, 09:51 AM
I am using an Eagnas Hawk 10 stringing machine (piece of crap, but gets the job done) with a drop weight and two floating clamps, no fixed or starting (not sure what "starting" clamp is, though). I think I will have to go with the second scenario described by Jerry with 19 crosses. Thx for the help on that.