PDA

View Full Version : Guga, Guga, Guga!!!!

Ballmachine
02-29-2004, 12:07 PM
Gustavo Kuerten won the Brasil Open today over Agustin Calleri on clay! This is good new for all of us Guga fans out there. Wouldn't it be great if the King of Clay can regain his form and make another run at Roland Garros? I for one am rooting for that! By the way, some people have been commenting on his new shaved haircut. Maybe it is an omen of good things to come, because Guga had the shaved head when he finished number one in the world in 2000. I will never forget the Masters that year when Guga beat Sampras and Agassi back-to-back on a hard court. Sampras was up a set and a break in the semi's, when Guga stormed back, and Guga steamrolled Agassi in straights in the final. I believe that nobody beat Sampras and Agassi back-to-back in a tournament for about 10 years prior to this feat, when Michael Chang did it early on in all of their career's.

Ratty
02-29-2004, 12:23 PM
I would like to think that you're right.

But....

Hernandez, Gasquet, Squillari, Acasuso & Calleri were the players that Guga beat to win the Brasil Open. Calleri's the only one of these who'd you'd expect to get past round 2 of Roland Garros.

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
02-29-2004, 01:10 PM
I must agree with Ratty, but still, any wins are good for Guga. He's been playing all this year pretty well, and I hope he keeps it up and can make a run at RG, and maybe some masters or even qualify for the masters cup.

Ariel
02-29-2004, 03:47 PM
A color note: When Calleri grabbed the mic after the match, he said that it was shameful the way the crowd behave during the final; everyone was ****ed because Agustin slowed the play the day before to force to continue the next day (Guga had just leveled the things). Then Guga made a public apollogy in behalf of the brazilian people and everyone was happy.

sseemiller
02-29-2004, 04:50 PM
It was a good win for Guga, and Hrbaty's third title of the year He's really doing well against teenagers. :lol:

Here are the final media notes from Brazil and Marseille:

Brazil:

RESULTS - SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 29, 2004
Singles - Final
(3)G Kuerten (BRA) d (4)A Calleri (ARG) 36 62 63

Doubles - Final (completed Saturday, February 28)
Fyrstenberg/Matkowski d Behrend/Friedl 62 62

DRAWS
For the Brasil Open singles draw, go to: <http://www.atptennis.com/posting/2004/533/MDS.pdf>
For the Brasil Open doubles draw, go to: <http://www.atptennis.com/posting/2004/533/MDD.pdf>

ATP MEDIA NOTES - SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 29, 2004

KUERTEN CLAIMS 20th ATP TITLE

Gustavo Kuerten claimed his 20th ATP title - and his first clay court title since 2001 - when he rallied from a set down to defeat Agustin Calleri 3-6, 6-2, 6-3 in the Brasil Open final in Costa do Sauipe.

Kuerten surges to eighth from equal 14th in the INDESIT ATP 2004 Race. The Brazilian is an early contender for Tennis Masters Cup Houston after failing to qualify for the season-ending event - which he won in 2000 - during the past two years.

The final was suspended due to rain on Saturday night with Kuerten leading 1-0 in the third set.

Kuerten, who was the beaten finalist in the Vina del Mar final at the beginning of the clay swing, improved to 14-4 on the season.

Kuerten won the Costa do Sauipe title in 2002 when it was played on hard court. He had not won a clay court event since 2001, when he won five clay titles, including a third Roland Garros crown.

Kuerten is 20-9 in career finals and 14-4 in finals played on clay.

Kuerten improved to 4-1 career against Calleri, who won their only meeting in the 2002 Buenos Aires final.
Calleri was contesting his first final of the season. Calleri's lone ATP title came in Acapulco last year.

WHAT THE PLAYERS SAID
Kuerten: "It has been the week of confirmation for me. I have been a fighter on court and gave more than 100% on court with all my heart on every point."

"There were three different moments. Calleri played unbelievable during the first set. When the second set started I changed strategy and after the 2-all in the second I managed to break him and Calleri lost focus with the rain, the umpire and the crowd. But it was impossible to play after that due to the rain. Today I entered the court knowing exactly what I had to do and I think I played a great final."

On his 20th title: "These are the things that keep motivating me since I know there are not many players with so many titles. I am continuing to play for this reason and to experience the feelings I had today again."

Calleri: "It was a weird final since we played in two different days and this is the first time it happens to me. Yesterday I started very well the match, but then it started to rain very heavily and I lost a bit of concentration. Then Guga started to serve very well. The umpire did not want to suspend the match for rain. I started today a bit nervous, it is different like this."

About the tournament: "The tournament is perfect, this is the third time I play here and I think that the change of date is a very good thing. It is part of the Latin American swing and we are able to play close to home."

About next week's tournament in Acapulco: "I feel great physically and mentally and I am happy to play there where people are very respectful and where I love to play."

POLISH PAIR CLAIM DOUBLES TITLE

In the doubles final - played on Saturday - the Polish team of Mariusz Fyrstenberg and Marcin Matkowski defeated the team of Leos Friedl and Tomas Behrend 6-2, 6-2.

It was the second ATP title for Fyrstenberg and Matkowski. The pair shot to fame in their home country last year when they surprised everyone, including themselves, and won the ATP event in Sopot, Poland, in front of a boisterous and supportive crowd.

The two also captured the Heilbronn Challenger in Germany earlier this year and are 8-4 in ATP match play for 2004.

Marseille:

RESULTS - SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 29
Singles - Final
D Hrbaty (SVK) d R Soderling (SWE) 46 64 64

Doubles - Final
(1)M Knowles (BAH)/D Nestor (CAN) d (2)M Damm/C Suk (CZE) 75 63

ATP MEDIA NOTES - SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 28
Slovakia's Dominik Hrbaty took his third ATP title of the year with a 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 win over Swedish teenager Robin Soderling in the Open 13 final in Marseille
Hrbaty leads all players for the most titles (three) and match wins (17) on the 2004 ATP circuit. He started the year winning consecutive titles in Adelaide and Auckland
Hrbaty will jump to third place in the INDESIT ATP 2004 Race when the new rankings are issued on Monday
Hrbaty, who was feeling sick during the final and has had a temperature since Friday night, dropped the first set losing his serve at 4-all before taking the next two sets. The Slovak broke Soderling in the last game of the second set after requiring a medical time-out and again in the last game of the final set
Hrbaty dropped two sets in Marseille, against Albert Costa in the second round and Soderling in the final
The Open 13 is Hrbaty's first career title indoors after winning two on clay (1998 San Marino, 1999 Prague) and three on hard (2001 Auckland, 2004 Adelaide, 2004 Auckland)
19-year-old Soderling was appearing in his second career ATP final after losing to Mardy Fish in the 2003 Stockholm final
Soderling served more aces than Hrbaty (17 to 15) but had a lower first-serve percentage (58 to 71)
The top-seeded team of Mark Knowles and Daniel Nestor won their first ATP title of the year by beating No. 2 seeds Martin Damm and Cyril Suk in the doubles final
Damm-Suk had beaten Knowles-Nestor in the Doha semifinals earlier this year, going on to win the title
Knowles now has 31 career doubles titles, Nestor has 33
WHAT THE PLAYERS SAID
HRBATY: "I won because of my experience today. I've played more finals than Robin, I think that made the difference. Robin is very young and will have many more chances to win titles in the future."

On winning three titles in 2004 "It's incredible, I wouldn't have dreamt about that. I'm playing well, serving well, probably the beginning of the year when I won a couple of the tournaments gave me the confidence and now I can play even indoors. When you have confidence and believe in yourself and you know that you are playing well, it is almost fifty percent of the victory."

"I practiced really hard at the end of last year, we have a brand new National Tennis Centre in Bratislava, it's one of the best in the world. We have five indoor courts, the gym and they are building a hotel there too. We all practice there. I was playing so well at the end of last year that I was afraid I'd peaked too early but I am glad the good form carried on."

SODERLING: "I've been a bit unlucky today and I did not play my best tennis, but Dominik is playing great tennis and deserved to win. He's won three titles in the first two months of the year, if he continues like that he's going to be in the Top 10 soon."

"I played pretty good match today maybe it wasn't my best match of the tournament but he played well and maybe he made me play not so good. I had pretty good chances with two break points in the third set. The margins were very small. I needed a little bit more luck to win today but he deserved to win. He maybe played a little bit too good for me at the end."

NESTOR: "Martin and Cyril have been pretty tough on us the last few years so it's nice to get a win against them. We hadn't beaten them in a while."

KNOWLES: "It's our first time in Marseille, it's a great event and we really had a good time this week so we look forward to coming back next year and defend our title."

Shaolin
02-29-2004, 05:03 PM
Susan--
were glad you are back, but just chill out a little on the 50,000 word posts.

Rabbit
02-29-2004, 06:36 PM
Shaolin - use the scroll function available in most Windows applications. I like to read the scoop. Keep it coming, Susan.

@wright
02-29-2004, 06:48 PM
Guga is a pleasure to watch, it's fantastic to see him hoisting another trophy. Hopefully there will be many more where that came from.

sseemiller
02-29-2004, 07:58 PM
Shaolin, these are the ATP media notes that are issued daily for each tournament. I find them interesting to read, and I thought others here may enjoy them. Rabbit seems to like it. Perhaps we should do a poll, and see who wants to see them. :lol:

Seriously, it's totally a cut-and-paste job, but it does take a few minutes. If it's annoying to people, I don't need to take the time to do them. Perhaps others can weigh in on it. It won't hurt my feelings either way, I can assure you. I'm a total tennis news junkie, but I know not everyone is.

In the meantime, I'll start a separate post for the Dubai and Scottsdale previews. :lol:

So let me know. :D

Susan

sseemiller
02-29-2004, 08:30 PM
I did start on poll on this issue, as I don't need to waste my time and yours on something that isn't wanted. Again, I'm fine either way. I think it's good to find out the majority view, given that it does take up quite a bit of space on the board. :mrgreen:

And also, if I take the time to do it, I don't want to get heat for doing it. I am posting relevant tennis news after all. And I don't have the time to go through it and pick out what may interest folks here and what may not. I just post it wholesale, except for the head-to-heads.

So let's reach a consensus on it, and then if the majority wants it, I'll do it. If not, I won't. So please weigh in on it if you have an opinion. Or forever hold your peace. :lol:

Thanks.

Susan

Joe Oldschool
03-01-2004, 04:44 AM
Personally, I like a little news from the tour.

@wright
03-01-2004, 07:09 AM
Keep posting it Susan, there are those of us who really appreciate it and I think the poll will reflect that.

ferreira
03-01-2004, 08:52 AM
Congrats Guga. The best player in all matters. In response to Calleri's idiotic complaint about the crowd in his speech in the award ceremony, Guga turned to the crowd and said, more or less, "I understand it's hard for anyone to play against this crowd, but we're all friends and I'd like you to give Calleri a around od applause for his achievemen this week". All this after Calleri having put up a ridiculous show the day before when demanding that the chair umpire and tournament referee rain delayed the game at 2-2 in the 2nd set, all the way until 1-0 in the third.
Ratty/PCMD, are you sure what you said about Acasuso, Squillari and, especially, Gasquet??

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
03-01-2004, 05:10 PM
Gasquet is obviously good, and Calleri is awesome to beat on Clay still, but Acasuso is tough, but mainly a big time headcase.

Ratty
03-01-2004, 11:05 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Guga. He's a real flair player with a load of charisma, and is a pleasure to watch when he's playing well.

Gasquet's a kid. Squillari is in the twilight of his career. Acasuso is a 10-a-penny Latin clay courter. You'd expect a potential Roland Garros winner to brush all of them aside.

As he used to.... I can well remember him thrashing Coria at Monte Carlo in the 2001 semi's.

But took him 3 sets to beat Hernandez (who??) and another 3 to beat Squillari.

I reckon he'll get to the quarters of RG before going out to any of Ferrero, Coria, Safin, Federer, Hewitt, Agassi, Grosjean, Novak, Roddick, Nalbandian, etc, etc.

Gugafan_Redux
03-02-2004, 05:03 AM
I must do my nick' justice and chime in with congrats for Guga. No, his form is not what it used to be -- utterly fearless and brilliant. And it may not be ever again, but for what he brought he has brought to the game, I applaud him, and I remain faithfully Gugafan!

:D

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
03-02-2004, 03:57 PM
I agree at least 4th round for Guga again this year at RG, maybe a lucky run to the semis or even.... THE FINALS, and if he could win it, amazing, but I just don't see it happening. But then again Ratty, Agassi? Roddick? Novak? Naaa, he'd take 'em out.

Alvaro Costa
03-07-2004, 08:07 PM
Thats really amazing to see that there r many fans of Guga here! I am from Brazil and a huge fan of him. And also was in the Brazil Open to see him claiming another trophy! It was awesome!
The crowd really wasnt polite at all, and even myself got little ashamed of them, cause they didn't really respect Guga's adversaries. Next time will be better, cause they will teach these "soccer" fans how 2 behave. But anyways, it was really unexplainable how good it was 2 see that moment.
I am sure the only thing that is wrong is his head (meaning confidence). Those of u that have been wachting his games know this. But nothing better then winning games 2 get it back!
I guess there r few players in the tour that have so much beauty playing tennis as Guga does, n hope he get back to the top ones this year!