PDA

View Full Version : Advanced AND Intermediate racquet forums?

rooski
02-26-2006, 09:57 AM
Anyone think it would be helpful to divide the racquet discussion boards into to two (or three) sections? I mean, this board has gotten out of control in terms of the volume of people with opinions. Opinions are fine as long as they have relevance to the reader. If an advanced player, say 5.0-6.0, is looking for comments on a new racket he/she is considering, they don't really care what a 3.5 or 4.0 player has to say about the stick. And vice-versa.

There are plenty of thoughtful and intelligent posters on this board but I think it's time to divide the "racquet" boards so that players of approximately the same skill level(s) can read what similar type players have to say.

austro
02-26-2006, 11:27 AM
No, don't think so. it would require a lot of searching to use it and lead to a lot of duplication.

El Diablo
02-26-2006, 12:40 PM
Seems like a poor idea, as it assumes better players are more perceptive about the equipment, which isn't clearly the case. Have you heard the expression "from the mouths of babes....."? Newcomers bring an untarnished insight that can be very valuable.

Keifers
02-26-2006, 03:30 PM
Anyone think it would be helpful to divide the racquet discussion boards into to two (or three) sections? I mean, this board has gotten out of control in terms of the volume of people with opinions. Opinions are fine as long as they have relevance to the reader. If an advanced player, say 5.0-6.0, is looking for comments on a new racket he/she is considering, they don't really care what a 3.5 or 4.0 player has to say about the stick. And vice-versa.

There are plenty of thoughtful and intelligent posters on this board but I think it's time to divide the "racquet" boards so that players of approximately the same skill level(s) can read what similar type players have to say.
I think I know the problem you're trying to get at, rooski. With all the arguing and grandstanding going on in so many racquet threads -- I'm right, you're wrong, back and forth and back and forth, ad nauseam -- I pity the newcomer who just wants some good information on the different racquet choices available out there. He or she has to wade through a lot of garbage to get to the intelligent and thoughtful posts you mentioned.

Not sure dividing into advanced and intermediate racquet forums is the best answer. Maybe it would be sufficient to have the most argumentative and repetitive posters post their views somewhere once and be done with it?

rooski
02-26-2006, 04:05 PM
Seems like a poor idea, as it assumes better players are more perceptive about the equipment, which isn't clearly the case. Have you heard the expression "from the mouths of babes....."? Newcomers bring an untarnished insight that can be very valuable.

El Diablo...Uggg...nevermind. This is exactly the kind of comments that get us nowhere. It has nothing to do with an advanced player being more perceptive about the rackets they use. If some 3.0 player (probably not mentioned in his/her bio) says the new FP Prestige racket offers them poor spin potential, poor power, and it's not manueverable...those "insights" are completely irrelevant to an advanced player. The same goes for an advanced player chiming in on a tweener saying it "has too much power" and "it's too light"...again, information that is probably irrelevant to the 3.0 player. Do you not see what I am talking about?

austro...why do you think having separate racket forums would create more searching? If anything, it would make it easier to get to the salient information that you are looking for instead of weeding thru 20 irrelevant posts (see above).

Keifers...thanks for "getting it".

Keifers
02-26-2006, 04:36 PM
Keifers...thanks for "getting it".
You're welcome, rooski. Maybe you can add a positive/supportive comment in the thread I just started "Stickies for BreakPoint, NoBadMojo ... ?" ...

(If you agree.)