PDA

View Full Version : NoBadMojo: ? on Stepanek racquet

hoosierbr
02-26-2006, 01:29 PM
Mojo:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that Radek Stepanek used a Tour 10 VE Mid with a custom 16x19 pattern last year? Now, it seems as though he's using the DNX 9. The Mid has a 93 headsize and the DNX a 98.
How likely is it that he switched from a mid to a midplus and, seemingly, adjusted so quickly? Doesn't seem likely to me but I don't know.
Do you have any info. on this?

Thanks.

saf
02-26-2006, 03:12 PM
According to my Volkl rep and Volkl's web site, he switched. I have not been able to study enough photos to see if it is a real switch or not or a PJ. I have both a Tour 10 Ve mid and DNX 9, so I think if I studied the right picture I could tell. The Head shape is different and the V is more subtle in the DNX 9. I've been playing with a DNX 9 weighted to the same weight as the tour 10 Ve Mid, however, it's balanced a little different. It is by no means a high powered frame. I hit with the VE mid today a little. It is a little softer and a little lower powered, however, with a 16x19 pattern instead of an 18x20 the power levles would be more similar.

I'm like you. I kind of thought it to be a bit interesting that he would switch. However, according to my rep he claims they are really trying to push the DNX lines and want all of thier pro's using the DNX 8, 9 or 10. I know they will be releasing a DNX 10 mid in the summer. I believe that is what Damm is using now. It's possible too that they took Stepanek's old mold and added the DNX material to make a customized frame for him.

You never know for sure unless you ask him???

czech09
02-26-2006, 03:18 PM
Radek Stepanek is the man :).

hoosierbr
02-26-2006, 03:18 PM
Thanks, Saf.

I heard some time ago, in fact I posted it, that Volkl was planning to make the DNX and Boris Becker their main lines and, possibly, phase out the V-Engine and/or Tour Series. I hope not. I didn't care for the V-Engine so much but I think some of the Tour frames are great - the C10 Pro for sure.

bamboo711
02-26-2006, 05:41 PM
How do you obtain a DNX 9 if it's not out yet? I am really interested in this racquet :D

mctennis
02-26-2006, 07:02 PM
Remember paintjobs are really popular too.I know a few of the Volkl pros that are playing with paintjobs. They are honest enough to tell me. Like I stated on an earleir thread the pro tour player will not switch just to switch no matter what the racquet company says. If he is losing matches because of a new racquet he loses on two counts:
1) tour money isn't as high as he wants it to be, losing tournaments is not helping him with money in the bank
2) the sponsers lose interest in you IF you aren't winning and the contract money is not there either when the next contract comes up. That is from ALL their sponsers not just the racquet companies.

Mick
12-11-2008, 06:13 AM
About the racquet paint jobs, Stepanek said Djokovic and him used the same racquets.

The world number 27 arrived in Shanghai from holiday in Thailand but explained that his tennis gear, including his contact lenses, was stuck in customs.

I had racquets from Novak Djokovic and socks from Andy. He uses the same ones I do, Stepanek smiled.

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2008/11/14/sports/2542450

Lobber
12-11-2008, 07:01 AM
About the racquet paint jobs, Stepanek said Djokovic and him used the same racquets.

The world number 27 arrived in Shanghai from holiday in Thailand but explained that his tennis gear, including his contact lenses, was stuck in customs.

I had racquets from Novak Djokovic and socks from Andy. He uses the same ones I do, Stepanek smiled.

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2008/11/14/sports/2542450

Maybe he was talking about Murray's socks :)

Mick
12-11-2008, 07:13 AM
Maybe he was talking about Murray's socks :)
I thought about that but Murray is sponsored by the Fred Perry brand :)