PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a racquet for beginner/casual player

mizone
02-26-2006, 08:09 PM
As the title says, what would you pros recommend as a racquet for someone that just wants to have a hit with friends every weekend.

Previosuly been using Head is.12 OS, which I really enjoyed its feel, but I found I was hitting the ball a bit too long.

A little research has left me with the following in my price range and preffered weight (under 300g)
-Prince Triple Threat Scream MP/OS
-Prince Triple Threat Bandit MP
-Head i.Speed MP
-Dunlop M FIL 500
-Dunlop M FIL 700

Another questions is whats a good string? I would like somthing durable, as since i'm just a casual player I wouldn't want to restring it again.
MP/OS? Would it make a difference?

Any input is appreciated.

oldguysrule
02-27-2006, 07:35 AM
The only one I have direct experience with is the Bandit. My son played with the 95 headsize for awhile. It is a nice racquet. I would suggest the OS for a casual weekend player.

Just about any synthetic gut would be appropriate. Prince Synthetic Gut (PSG) is the easiest to find and is popular with beginners and advanced players for it's blend of durability and playability.

Good luck finding your next racquet.

tennisnj
02-27-2006, 08:50 AM
I've played w/both Princes & would agree 100% w/Oldguysrule. The Bandit OS is a racquet that can be used by beginners, occassional players & tinkered easily enough so that more advanced players can use it. Most beginners tend to stick w/what they know (Wilson, Prince, etc, but there are many good strings out there from companies that you might not of heard of, like Luxilon, Alpha, Tecnifibre, etc.). Experiment though, b/c as a beginner or occassional, chances are you won't need as durable a string as other players might.

bruce nissenbaum
02-27-2006, 09:03 AM
Nowhere near a pro, just offering a thought or 2 based on racquets I have demoed or used. For reference, I began as strictly recreational player with a light, head heavy Head Ti-S.6 and, as w/ your is.12, eventually found it too light and hit too many balls long. 'Graduated' to slightly heavier, neutral balanced Prince Thundercloud with which I played quite successfully until 'graduating' to a heavier, headlight, midplus which I currently use.

I, too, would be inclined toward an OS for what you want.

Of the racquets you mentioned, Prince Scream is a 'Triple Threat' successor to the Thundercloud and, IMO, I would choose this over the others. However, I've not been a fan of the 'TT' technology. Even though the Scream and T-cloud stats are very similar, I found the T-cloud was a little less powerful and a little more comfortable. So, FWIW, if you're going to consider the Scream, try the Thundercloud as well. I really think the T-cloud is an excellent racquet to play with and grow with because it plays nicely in stock form and it can be easily customized should you ever want to consider doing so.

There are some other possibilities in the 'Thunder' series, but only the 'Cloud' is somewhat readily available though not in the original form. TW offers it, but if I recall correctly, this edition does not have the original 'shock-zorb' system in the handle so the racquet may not play the same as the one I've used.

Two economical strings I have used that play comfortably and that we haven't had to restring often are Prince Original Syn Gut 16 (mentioned above) and Wilson Stamina 16, strung at mid-point (for midsize) or +2# (for oversize) of racquet's tension range.

Happy hitting.

Marius_Hancu
02-27-2006, 09:57 AM
FWIW
check my posting here:

Best arm friendly racquets?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=77937

Marius_Hancu
02-27-2006, 09:58 AM
FWIW
check my posting here:

Best arm friendly racquets?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=77937

BTW, you may use OS, but I'm sticking to the other recommendations there

Grimjack
02-27-2006, 11:25 AM
PS 6.0 85 is your stick.

mizone
02-27-2006, 11:26 PM
I am in Australia, so racquets are limited.
I went around to the local sports chain, and also found a few raquets at good prices, was wondering if these are any good, or should i stick to the Bandit. The Bandit however is only in MP, and cannot find an OS.
-Volkl Catapult 2.
-Wilson Triad 6.
I found these as clearence stock, at half price. So they are appealing.

equinox
02-27-2006, 11:43 PM
If you love your current racket. I'd first take a look at your strings.

How often do you restring?

Most casual players i know don't ever restring except when they break them.
Most recreational players i know restring once or twice maximum per a year.

Try visiting a proshop and asking for there advice, they can suggest similar rackets.
And taking a coaching lesson and ask the coach for racket suggestions.

Personally i'd restring your current racket at a higher tension 4-6 pounds and picking a better tension holding string like natural gut, before going on a holy grail racket search.

Since you're a casual player who's unlikely to break strings often, restringing with natural gut is a one time cost.

bismark
02-28-2006, 01:02 AM
As the title says, what would you pros recommend as a racquet for someone that just wants to have a hit with friends every weekend.....
For a start, I wouldn't call people here "pros", because it's gonna lead to a clash of egos and righteousness. :)

For a casual & beginner player, the KEY is to make your tennis as fun and enjoyable as possible, with minimum frustration on the part of the racquet. Fortunately, most modern racquets make your job easier. IMO, an OS is a better choice to start with. But if you're more comfortable with a MP, go for it as well. Use whatever you're most comfortable with, and also one which allows you to have loads of fun. So avoid the so-called 'machismo' heavy players' racquet with a sweetspot of a dime. They're intentionally made for strong advance players, and rightly so.

I would go with a Bandit OS. It's comfortable, very forgiving and easy to swing. IMO, its better than the Scream. I think you can get it on the cheap if you can find it. Alternatively, you can try Yonex V-Con 17 OS or V-Con 20. They're very good sticks, almost underrated. If you can afford a pricier racquet, try Volkl DNX V1 (OS). It seems many testers are raving about it. Anyway, for any racquet, vary your tension according to your power level. Invest in a good quality 'soft' string for comfort and protection.

PS - If you want to take your game to the next level, go for proper coaching and lessons, and then practice and practice. Don't be swayed by people (in this board at least) who claim that a players' racquet can help you improve your strokes and technique.

legolas
02-28-2006, 11:26 AM
casual player? then just buy those wal-mart rackets