PDA

View Full Version : NXG vs. POG?

oldguysrule
02-27-2006, 08:24 AM
I have a friend who had shoulder surgery last summer. He has started playing again and has been looking at the POG because of it's high ratings in shoulder and elbow safety. His main concern is serving and what will happen when he starts playing for real. However, the 93 headsize is probably too small and he doesn't like the 107 because it's too big. My question is: Would the 100sq. inch NXG graphite be a worthy compromise. I have never hit with any of these racquets so any thoughts would be appreciated.

vkartikv
02-27-2006, 08:29 AM
I tried the NXG midsize and to be honest, I agree with the review. There really is not one single aspect of this racquet that is outstanding. Its average is all departments and also has a tighter pattern for a small head. I do not know about the MP, if its also a 18x20 pattern, I would advise your friend who has used a 14x18 POG to stay away from the NXGs. The flexpoint radical tour seems to be very popular..

POGforEver
02-27-2006, 09:34 AM
If he wants a 100sq in stick tell him to find a POG longbody. The NXG is a waste of time and a horrible comparison to the POG in any head size. I play with a midplus 93 POG and have not put it down for anything in the past 4 or 5 years that I have been playing with it. In my eyes it is one of the greatest sticks out there today. Good luck!

rocket
02-27-2006, 10:41 AM
IHowever, the 93 headsize is probably too small and he doesn't like the 107 because it's too big.

The POG Graphite II has a 95 sq.in head. These POG sticks produce heavy, heavy top spins if one has good preparation & the muscle power to swing them.

Davai
02-27-2006, 12:55 PM
The POG dosesn't deserve as much accalim as it gets, imo. It's a very comfortable frame, but that is it, way too much spin for me. However don't confuse the midplus with the oversize, they are nothing alike, the mid is alot better. The NXS isn't the reincarnation of the POG, I would assume it is either marketing or concept. To call the NXG mid "average" is a huge understatement. It's a great frame.
I have never tried the NXG MP but it's probably quite demanding but the rewards are great. I would give the Diablo mp a chance because it belongs with the POG lineage and is probably what your friend is thinking about.

EliteNinja
02-27-2006, 04:31 PM
NOOOOOOO!!!

Steer your friend of the NXG MP!
I implore you! This racquet blew out my shoulder. I should have never bought it and wasted the $200 Cdn! The stiff upper hoop really hurt my shoulder.

I used it for 5 months during the summer and last touched it 5 months ago and my shoulder still hurts from it! I'm probably going to require surgery in the future as well. Because of this, I cannot use racquets with stiffness over 61 anymore.

The NXG was average for groundstrokes but had tons of pop on the serve. Nothing that outstanding.

scotus
02-27-2006, 05:02 PM
According to Racquetresearch.com, POG MP is not at all arm-friendly. While they gave the top spot to POG OS, the MP ranks really low, most likely due to its stiffness of around 67.

theJuniorACE
02-27-2006, 06:06 PM
According to Racquetresearch.com, POG MP is not at all arm-friendly. While they gave the top spot to POG OS, the MP ranks really low, most likely due to its stiffness of around 67.

How can this be

there isnt much difference in specs
besides the 2 points in swingweight and 3 points in stiffness

christo
02-27-2006, 10:38 PM
The NXG is competely forgettable

scotus
02-28-2006, 06:32 AM
How can this be

there isnt much difference in specs
besides the 2 points in swingweight and 3 points in stiffness

The stiffness for MP is slightly on the high side, but I really don't know why such a marked difference exists between the MP and OS.

POG MP ranks #75 in overall safety, #54 in elbow safety and #80 in shoulder safety. It actually ranks below Babolat Pure Drive (Hah!).

See for yourself at:
http://www.racquetresearch.com/

theJuniorACE
02-28-2006, 04:30 PM
has anyone else has any opinions on the POG, the NXG mid or MP, and/or the Diablo tour

moist
02-28-2006, 04:51 PM
I definitely think the Diablo tour mp is something to try. I have a sensitive shoulder(multiple labrum tears), and I find it absolutely true that higher swingweights bother it more.

bcsax123
03-01-2006, 02:22 PM
I think the POG OS is a really good racket because it delivers power when you need it (107 Headsize) and provides sufficient control (19mm Box Frame). Also, serving is very easy with the OS.

The NXGs seem more stable than the POG or the Diablo.

The Diablos are nice rackets over all and is probably the best choice.

POGs are more comfortable than NXGs.
Diablos are more comfortable than POGs.
The NXG looks really ugly.
The POG looks old.
The Diablo looks really cool.

agassirulz8991
03-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Nxgs felt average in all aspects. Pogs are spinmeisters. Tour Diablo mid has a good blend of power and control.

Ronaldo
03-12-2006, 12:00 PM
Try a proven arm-friendly racquet w/100" head, PK Kinetic 5G

chess9
03-12-2006, 12:07 PM
I have the POG 93 and it's a wonderful racquet. I've hit with the 107 and thought it handled nicely for such a huge racquet. I don't care for the Diablo or NXG.
-Robert
________
New Mexico Medical Marijuana Dispensary (http://newmexico.dispensaries.org/)

Ronaldo
03-12-2006, 12:11 PM
Btw, have a pr of both the NXG and POG mids in 5/8, NXG has no feel.