PDA

View Full Version : The feel of a 6.0

vkartikv
02-27-2006, 09:04 AM
I am never giving up my 6.0s but just to try what's new in the market, I have been demoing the flexpoint prestige, the rds and o3 tour ms. I must say that after all this testing, it comes down to this: The minute I pick up my 6.0 85, I know this thing will work (atleast for me). Even if it doesnt work for you, just pick one up in one hand and any other racquet in the other and tell me nothing compares to the solid nature of the 6.0...

BTW, I am not trying to be a racquet snob or upper class racquetman by posting this thread, just sharing the feeeeeling of a 6.0

jtreed2000
02-27-2006, 09:33 AM
Agreed. I was describing the feeling to a friend one day, talking about my 6.0 95 at the time, and I told him, "It's like hitting oranges with a 2x4." It's absolutely the cleanest feeling hit I've experienced anywhere on the court. I've been faithful to mostly 11oz-ish sticks for the past year, but I may go back to it since my strokes are more efficient now. I didn't have the strength or technique to use it then as a weak 3.0. I miss that feeling and what it did for my serve for sure!

rocket
02-27-2006, 10:08 AM
As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing else like it on the market. Tried the other Wilson 80% graphite 20% kevlar combos (PS 6.0 95, 6.1, Tour 90, nCode 90, nCode 95), but for some reason, I don't get the same explosive power, precision & arm tingling good as the 6.0 85. Tough to play with of course, but man, when you nail that yellow ball, you leave your opponents planted on their feet... :cool:

Keifers
02-27-2006, 11:10 AM
Totally agree. Every player who is interested in racquets should hit with the 6.0 85 at least once. Cutting through the air with that head, balance and swingweight and hitting that sweetspot is one of THE delicious experiences in tennis.

Galactus
02-27-2006, 11:39 AM
You're all right - I had another go with my Tour90 back in December last year and found it hard to blast winners from either the backcourt or the service-line like I can with my 6.0 85 - with that, it's as if I can almost point to the spot where I'm going to hit the ball... :mrgreen:

armand
02-27-2006, 12:07 PM
Currently I'm using the RDX500 Mid but recently went back to the 6.0 Original last weekend. It's just so rock solid and has that great plow through effect compared to the RDX that I find myself at a crossroads. And even though my RDX is weighted up to 12.6 ounces it still feels flimsey compared to the 85(due to the stiffness).

If I find myself in a baseline match, I think I'd go for the RDX because I can stand at the baseline and grind away with big top spin(boring tennis, I know). However, any other type of match, S+V, vs a S+Ver, vs a pusher, doubles etc I think I'd go to the 85. I think I understand Yonex's decision to make the RDX's successor more stiff.

Speaking of successors, I think I may give the 85's successors another shot. I can deal with the loss of feel, but not with not being able to find the sweetspot as accurately.

jtreed2000
02-27-2006, 12:21 PM
I've heard a few say the RDX 500 mid is close to the PS 85, and I had good control with it, but I've never hit the 85. After playing for months with the PS 6.0 95, and both RDX 500 mid and MP, the feeling is very different for me. The PS has a more crisp and controlled feeling. I think the "buttery" feeling of the Yonex racquets just doesn't suit me. The crisp PS feeling is probably more due to the stiffness than anything else. I also had confidence in the PS because it felt like the there was always a little extra in reserve for when I decide to "bust" one. This was especially true on the serve.

SAMPRAS
02-27-2006, 12:27 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=776966&posted=1#post776966
HELP friends

Kevo
02-27-2006, 12:36 PM
I've heard a few say the RDX 500 mid is close to the PS 85, and I had good control with it, but I've never hit the 85. After playing for months with the PS 6.0 95, and both RDX 500 mid and MP, the feeling is very different for me. The PS has a more crisp and controlled feeling. I think the "buttery" feeling of the Yonex racquets just doesn't suit me. The crisp PS feeling is probably more due to the stiffness than anything else. I also had confidence in the PS because it felt like the there was always a little extra in reserve for when I decide to "bust" one. This was especially true on the serve.

It's kind of funny you mention this particular comparison. I actually only hit with a PS 85 in the past year, after I had been hitting with the RDX 500 mid. I thought the 85 was quite similar in feel. It seemed a little lower powered to me, but it did have a certain flexy feel that was very much like the RDX. Both frames are nice, but I feel that the RDX has a bit more pop to it than what I could manage with the PS 85. Maybe the difference in feel of the PS is due to stringing or frame version. I'm not sure what the one I hit with was strung at or with, but it looked like a basic syn gut. I know from personal experience that strings on the RDX can make it feel anywhere from board like to trampoline.

Kevo
02-27-2006, 12:40 PM
Currently I'm using the RDX500 Mid but recently went back to the 6.0 Original last weekend. It's just so rock solid and has that great plow through effect compared to the RDX that I find myself at a crossroads. And even though my RDX is weighted up to 12.6 ounces it still feels flimsey compared to the 85(due to the stiffness).

Are you still using gut? Gut can make almost any frame feel flimsy if I get what you're meaning. I've tried gut up to 65lbs. in the RDX 500 mid, and it just doesn't really get as crisp or firm like some of the other strings do. Have you tried Head FXP, or one of the Yonex 850 multis. Regular syn gut may even be better for you depending on what feel you like. You can really change it up with this frame by using different strings and tensions. Take a look at my post on Klipper Zyex in the string forum.

louis netman
02-27-2006, 12:45 PM
My last old PS 85 has been hanging on my rack, unstrung since 1984-85. I may want to string that baby up again after reading this post.
I've got a coil of Pacific 18g gut laying around. My PS recommends 65-70lbs on it, but there's no way I'll be able to play effiiciently with that 85" head at anywhere near that tension. Any over 40's out there have a suggestion for tension. As a reference, I have 93" C10 PTs and Tour 10 mids (gen 1) that work for me at 45-48#...THANX!!!

rocket
02-27-2006, 12:52 PM
My last old PS 85 has been hanging on my rack, unstrung since 1984-85. I may want to string that baby up again after reading this post.
I've got a coil of Pacific 18g gut laying around. My PS recommends 65-70lbs on it, but there's no way I'll be able to play effiiciently with that 85" head at anywhere near that tension. Any over 40's out there have a suggestion for tension. As a reference, I have 93" C10 PTs and Tour 10 mids (gen 1) that work for me at 45-48#...THANX!!!

You can string it at any tension you want really. the 65-70 range is for hard hitters. The lower the range, the longer the life of your racquet... & string.. & arm.

Or, you can sell it to me & buy a new one with a lower rec. tension. :cool:

armand
02-27-2006, 01:15 PM
Are you still using gut? Gut can make almost any frame feel flimsy if I get what you're meaning. I've tried gut up to 65lbs. in the RDX 500 mid, and it just doesn't really get as crisp or firm like some of the other strings do. Have you tried Head FXP, or one of the Yonex 850 multis. Regular syn gut may even be better for you depending on what feel you like. You can really change it up with this frame by using different strings and tensions. Take a look at my post on Klipper Zyex in the string forum.Thanks Kevo, but if I get what you're meaning, then I'm not really complaining about the feel of things rather I'm concerned with the actual performance and behaviour(yes this thread is dedicated to feel, my bad).
But are you saying that the actual string itself can make a racquet less stable?
Thanks Kevo
(yes, I am still using gut[KLiP Legend16 62/60.5])

jtreed2000
02-27-2006, 01:22 PM
Yeah, I wish I could compare the 85 to the mid. That's one I want to try for sure, along with the POG's, just to see what they're like. Is the POG mid anything like the 6.0 85? Are you guys St Vincent fans or have you noticed a difference?

ps 6.0
02-27-2006, 01:50 PM
For me, the POG and the 85 have little to nothing in common for me. When playing the POG i feel relatively removed from the stroke of the ball. I feel that the stiffness really eats up all the feedback of the POG Mid. My 85 was unstrung for about 2 months cause of playing around with other rackets, namely the HPS 6.1, RDX 500 90, and POG Mid. After getting my 85 restrung... i remembered why i love the racket so much. There is just that crisp feeling of ball striking, slices, topspin, serves... they all give me a degree of feedback that no other racket gives me without becoming jarring or and elbow issue. I'm currently waiting patiently for TW to get some new stock on the 85 4 1/2 for me to purchase some more.

BreakPoint
02-27-2006, 02:56 PM
Yeah, I wish I could compare the 85 to the mid. That's one I want to try for sure, along with the POG's, just to see what they're like. Is the POG mid anything like the 6.0 85? Are you guys St Vincent fans or have you noticed a difference?

I think what the POG Mid and the PS 6.0 85/95 have in common is that "old-school", mostly or all graphite, no nonsense, no tainted material added to the mix to take away feel, heavy and solid, low vibration feel. When I hit with these racquets, I feel like I've been transported back in time to the 1980's. It makes me want to put on my Sergio Tacchini shirt, my Fila shorts, my Diadora shoes, and my Ellesse headband and go out and play some serve-and-volley tennis!! ;) :D LOL

peter
02-27-2006, 03:07 PM
I'm currently waiting patiently for TW to get some new stock on the 85 4 1/2 for me to purchase some more.

Hey! Those are MINE when they arrive! You leave them alone!!!
(I missed ordering them when the january batch arrived - Sigh)

buder
02-27-2006, 03:35 PM
I find it much, much easier to use/swing than my RD7 > feels almost like a tweener by comparison. The small headsize allows for massive headspeed and the control is out-of-this-world > it's so easy to manipulate arc and depth trajectory with a PREDICTABLE stringbed > and there is no more predictable stringbed in tennis. Oddly, some of the people at my club have a misplaced pride because they use it. It almost seems like they use it because it secretly amazes them that they can play well with it. This doesn't make any sense since I think it would be harder to use, say, a Head I S12 or something with a massive trampoline. Every time I give the PS 85 to somebody with wild strokes, they immediately start finding the court and cutting down on long balls -- and then they have this sense of amazement at how easy it is to control the thing. It's just easier to manipulate the racquet's face at impact when you know that a slight mistake won't send the ball long and when the stringbed doesn't add anything unknown to the ball's flight path. The 85 encourages confident swings. It's a much easier racquet to play with than most of the people who own it think . . . (it does not require some special, higher mechanics and it has way more control than most of the frames out there) . . .I don't use it because I prefer to short-hop balls on the clay and thus I prefer a larger headsize for last second adjustments, but I don't understand what all the fuss is. If you want more power and more margin for error, than you will have to play with a larger stringbed -- and, consequently, you will have new set of mechanical problems to solve -- problems that are no less difficult to solve than with the 85.

BreakPoint
02-27-2006, 04:24 PM
I find it much, much easier to use/swing than my RD7 > feels almost like a tweener by comparison. The small headsize allows for massive headspeed and the control is out-of-this-world > it's so easy to manipulate arc and depth trajectory with a PREDICTABLE stringbed > and there is no more predictable stringbed in tennis.

Yeah, isn't it great that the small headsize makes it so maneuverable despite it's relatively high swingweight spec? :D

Deuce
02-28-2006, 02:07 AM
For those interested, the iPrestige Mid has a very similar feel to the PS 6.0 85.

pham4313
02-28-2006, 07:58 AM
deuce...the stiffness on the P.S 6.0 is 66 while 60 or 61 on the i.prestige mid. And you say it hits as stiff as the prostaff? i havent hit with the i. prestige mid but maybe they have same solid and responsive feel.

Keifers
02-28-2006, 08:04 AM
For those interested, the iPrestige Mid has a very similar feel to the PS 6.0 85.
Deuce, that's very interesting. Can you say more about this? Thanks.

vkartikv
02-28-2006, 08:13 AM
There is no comparison between the prestiges and thr 6.0. Granted the prestige is a good frame but its a whole different story, but not even remotely close to the feel of the 6.0

VGP
02-28-2006, 08:18 AM
The feel of a 6.0:

If I started feeling 6.0s, all those decent tennis players would put out restraining orders.

Kevo
02-28-2006, 01:54 PM
But are you saying that the actual string itself can make a racquet less stable?
Thanks Kevo
(yes, I am still using gut[KLiP Legend16 62/60.5])

The string can make a huge impact on how a racquet feels. I don't think it actually makes it less stable, but depending on your interpretation of the feeling of hitting the ball, it might seem that way. I always thought Kevlar made the feel of hitting a ball seem very very solid. And it's mostly because kevlar is a stiff string. Well, gut is the least stiff string, so it stands to reason that that could be interpreted as not feeling like a solid hit to some.

I was mainly pointing out that the strings make a tremendous difference in feel of a frame. Strings may even be the most important aspect of feel even ahead of the frame itself. I haven't tested this theory out with a lot of different frames, but if you were to take two different frames from different manufacturers with similar weight, balance, size, etc., I bet that it would be much easier to tell the two frames apart in a blindfolded test if they had two different types of string in them than if they had the same string in them.

jtreed2000
02-28-2006, 02:17 PM
I agree. The PS 6.0 has a good feeling inherently, unlike many racquets that must be tweaked to be comfortable, powerful, controlled, etc. It's has a good balance of weight/stiffness to begin with. The mushy feeling in my RDX's could probably be toned down with kevlar, but I'm not gonna bother because at the moment I need a stiffer frame. I've found kevlar can be a power zapper as well, compared to anything else that actually stretches. That can be good or bad depending on what you need out of the racquet. Most of us don't want a sore arm either...

I also agree about kevlar feeling more solid. Because it's stiff and usually strung tight from the start, it interacts more as a part of the frame. I've never strung gut on my own racquets, because I like a stiff string that rarely breaks. If I did use it I'd have to string it up very tight. There is a fine balance with kevlar though: too loose and you can feel a lag before the ball is suddenly compressed by the strings; too tight, the stringbed feels like a board with teeth.

Kevo
02-28-2006, 06:43 PM
I don't want to make anyone think I'm advocating kevlar or anything, just pointing out that strings make a big difference. There are lots of variations in between kevlar and gut and one of those may be more appropriate for someone who's trying to change the feel of their frame.

Deuce
03-01-2006, 12:51 AM
Deuce, that's very interesting. Can you say more about this? Thanks.
Well... I can't say much more, other than that I used the PS 6.0 85 for 2 years - so I'm quite familiar with it. When I've hit with an iPrestige Mid - which I've done quite a lot - it feels very similar upon ball impact to the 6.0 85.

There is no comparison between the prestiges and thr 6.0. Granted the prestige is a good frame but its a whole different story, but not even remotely close to the feel of the 6.0

I agree - when talking about the Prestige Classic Mid, or the LM Prestige Mid - they hit nothing like the PS 6.0 85. But it sounds to me like you've never hit with the iPrestige Mid.