PDA

View Full Version : Back with the Pro Staff Original (yes, again!)

Ganz
02-27-2006, 08:17 AM
After 6 months of playing with the new Babolat Pure Storm I’ve gone back to the Pro Staff 6.0.

Why?? Well, sure I was playing well with the Pure Storm, was getting more topspin on the forehand and could really hit the ball hard. In fact I was hitting the ball so hard I became suspect that something was amiss when the ball kept coming back… The same was happening with the serve, they were coming back and I wasn’t winning any easy points on serve.

I started to think that although it felt that I was hitting the ball harder with more spin with the Babolat, it was the topspin that was slowing the ball down possibly allowing opponents to return the ball whilst I was expending all that energy. When I was watching Blake against Nadal and the way Nadal's ball sat up for Blake to flatten it out stealing time from Nadal. Mmm, interesting.

One day I was thinking... as I’m not going to be a pro or a semi-pro (whatever that is) I might as well play with the racket that gives me the most enjoyment: the Wilson PS6.0. You see, with the Pro Staff I can actually remember shots I’d made in matches over two years ago! These were shots that had such touch and control, the half-volley winner that I played behind me passing my opponent at the net! the flat approach down the line with pin-point accuracy on second serve returns, the smashes that I get in doubles, the drop shots… Every time I’d play these shots I never once took credit for it instead I would always look at the racket and think: “incredible…” and if the opposition complimented any one of the above shots I would say: “…it’s the racket, I just put it there and it does the rest”.

Sure, with the Babolat I was hitting the ball hard but was there one shot that I remember in the last six months? The answer to that is no.

I wonder if anyone else out there remembers their impossible shots made with the Pro Staff or am I just a tennis nut!

vkartikv
02-27-2006, 08:18 AM
Well if you are a nut, so am I! The feeling is mutual, I don't care if I win or lose, I go out there to play with my 6.0 mid, its a more enjoyable experience than bedroom activities..

Oh by the way, did I say Welcome back Mate?!!

pham4313
02-27-2006, 08:23 AM
[QUOTE=vkartikv]Well if you are a nut, so am I! The feeling is mutual, I don't care if I win or lose, I go out there to play with my 6.0 mid, its a more enjoyable experience than bedroom activities..

I have 6 rackets next to my bed..4 of which are prostaffs...2 ncode 90, 1 PS tour 90 and the original 6.0 85. Just that my gf is far away from me so these rackets keep me through the night

vkartikv
02-27-2006, 08:25 AM
[QUOTE=vkartikv]Well if you are a nut, so am I! The feeling is mutual, I don't care if I win or lose, I go out there to play with my 6.0 mid, its a more enjoyable experience than bedroom activities..

I have 6 rackets next to my bed..4 of which are prostaffs...2 ncode 90, 1 PS tour 90 and the original 6.0 85. Just that my gf is far away from me so these rackets keep me through the night

mate, its probably because you sleep with these racquets that your girlfriend deserted you! Just kidding. These racuqets are as loyal as your dog. I however do not trust a woman's fidelity..

Ganz
02-27-2006, 08:31 AM
Cheers VKartikv!

It's good to made feel welcomed. Talking of girfriends, my girlfriend is sick of me talking about the Pro Staff and how good it was the other day and so on...

Anyone interested in two Babolat Pure Storms (virtually new)?

pham4313
02-27-2006, 08:31 AM
also with the original PS 6.0 85, i feel my first serves are very solid with compact swing and contact...nice and clean...it feels very sweet when you hit an ace. And yes, these rackets are my dawgs...although i admit that in my country, we can have a dog dish with some beer for a delicious meal or getother with some pals:mrgreen:

Ganz
02-27-2006, 08:36 AM
Yes Pham i agree.

The other thing I noticed is how many easy points I win serving with the Staff.

The weight of the racket and using the body and serve technique, loose wrist, makes for a fast heavy serve.

I’m now taking my three Staffs out of retirement, getting them strung with gut on the mains and BB on the crosses, the neat leather pads on the throat grommets, lead it up and a mean black stencil(!?) Would love a St Vincent though.

vkartikv
02-27-2006, 08:45 AM
Yes Pham i agree.

The other thing I noticed is how many easy points I win serving with the Staff.

The weight of the racket and using the body and serve technique, loose wrist, makes for a fast heavy serve.

I’m now taking my three Staffs out of retirement, getting them strung with gut on the mains and BB on the crosses, the neat leather pads on the throat grommets, lead it up and a mean black stencil(!?) Would love a St Vincent though.

Which versions do you use? I am using the Taiwan ones now - have been in love with them for the last 2 months. Can't wait for summer..

vkartikv
02-27-2006, 08:45 AM
also with the original PS 6.0 85, i feel my first serves are very solid with compact swing and contact...nice and clean...it feels very sweet when you hit an ace. And yes, these rackets are my dawgs...although i admit that in my country, we can have a dog dish with some beer for a delicious meal or getother with some pals:mrgreen:

Where are you from pham? From the offerings of your menu, it appears like you are from the same side of the world as me..

Ganz
02-27-2006, 09:03 AM
Unfortunatley I've only got the Chinese versions. Brought them about two years ago.

The thing I dislike about the Chinese versions I've got is, after a while, they start to acquire a glossy finish. The pics of Sampras with a PS, the PS have a lovely mean matt black finish.

I am mentally tough!
02-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Hello,

I have a few questions regarding the wilson prostaff original 6/0:

1) What are the differences between the St. Vincent, Chicago, and Taiwan versions? Any preferences?

2)I'm afraid this is sort of a stupid question, but on TW there are two different racquets listed, the original 6.0 and the tour 95; what are the main differences in performance between the Tour 95 and, say, the original midplus? Is the tour 95 as famed and loved as the original (would guess not since the tour is on sale, and the original is still going strong)?

3)Would simply placing a lot of lead on any racquet at the 3 and 9 o' clock positions effectively reproduce the PWS, Perimeter Weighting System? Does this system really benefit its user?

Any help or ideas appreciated!

vkartikv
02-27-2006, 10:11 AM
Hello,

I have a few questions regarding the wilson prostaff original 6/0:

1) What are the differences between the St. Vincent, Chicago, and Taiwan versions? Any preferences?

2)I'm afraid this is sort of a stupid question, but on TW there are two different racquets listed, the original 6.0 and the tour 95; what are the main differences in performance between the Tour 95 and, say, the original midplus? Is the tour 95 as famed and loved as the original (would guess not since the tour is on sale, and the original is still going strong)?

3)Would simply placing a lot of lead on any racquet at the 3 and 9 o' clock positions effectively reproduce the PWS, Perimeter Weighting System? Does this system really benefit its user?

Any help or ideas appreciated!

Question 1: I have never used the St. Vincent or Chicago models but as far as the Taiwan and China models go, the China model is much like the 6.0 95 - very headlight and slightly lighter than the Taiwan model. The Taiwan model comes out to only 6-7 pts HL without strings and overgrip, etc. It also weighs about 2-3 tenths of an ounce more than the China model. Take your pick.

2. The Prostaff tour 95 is not a successor to the 6.0 95. It is by no means a players racquet and is more of a tweener that does an average job at the net.

3. How much weight do you think you could add at those positions without affecting the balance of the racquet? Personally, I think lead cannot substitute for PWS.

whozon3rd
02-27-2006, 10:32 AM
After 6 months of playing with the new Babolat Pure Storm I’ve gone back to the Pro Staff 6.0.

Why?? Well, sure I was playing well with the Pure Storm, was getting more topspin on the forehand and could really hit the ball hard. In fact I was hitting the ball so hard I became suspect that something was amiss when the ball kept coming back… The same was happening with the serve, they were coming back and I wasn’t winning any easy points on serve.

I started to think that although it felt that I was hitting the ball harder with more spin with the Babolat, it was the topspin that was slowing the ball down possibly allowing opponents to return the ball whilst I was expending all that energy. When I was watching Blake against Nadal and the way Nadal's ball sat up for Blake to flatten it out stealing time from Nadal. Mmm, interesting.

One day I was thinking... as I’m not going to be a pro or a semi-pro (whatever that is) I might as well play with the racket that gives me the most enjoyment: the Wilson PS6.0. You see, with the Pro Staff I can actually remember shots I’d made in matches over two years ago! These were shots that had such touch and control, the half-volley winner that I played behind me passing my opponent at the net! the flat approach down the line with pin-point accuracy on second serve returns, the smashes that I get in doubles, the drop shots… Every time I’d play these shots I never once took credit for it instead I would always look at the racket and think: “incredible…” and if the opposition complimented any one of the above shots I would say: “…it’s the racket, I just put it there and it does the rest”.

Sure, with the Babolat I was hitting the ball hard but was there one shot that I remember in the last six months? The answer to that is no.

I wonder if anyone else out there remembers their impossible shots made with the Pro Staff or am I just a tennis nut!
Is this Lansdorp speaking? Sounds like the stroke he advocates.

Galactus
02-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Add me to the 6.0 fanclub...
I started off 2005 with an nCode Tour90...then went to the Prostaff Tour90 and finally I tested a Prostaff original 6.0 85, and that's what I've been using the last 8-9 months.
Just like the way it slices thru the air, not very 'clunky', even with an extra 25g of lead added to it.

I am mentally tough!
02-27-2006, 11:02 AM
Question 1: I have never used the St. Vincent or Chicago models but as far as the Taiwan and China models go, the China model is much like the 6.0 95 - very headlight and slightly lighter than the Taiwan model. The Taiwan model comes out to only 6-7 pts HL without strings and overgrip, etc. It also weighs about 2-3 tenths of an ounce more than the China model. Take your pick.

2. The Prostaff tour 95 is not a successor to the 6.0 95. It is by no means a players racquet and is more of a tweener that does an average job at the net.

3. How much weight do you think you could add at those positions without affecting the balance of the racquet? Personally, I think lead cannot substitute for PWS.

Thanks a lot for the info!:D

I am mentally tough!
02-27-2006, 11:12 AM
Sorry, one more: which one would the P.S. original sold on TW be? I am particularly interested in the midplus.

kv581
02-27-2006, 11:17 AM
Since the day they were introduced back in the 90s, all 6.0 95s were (and still are) made in China.

badmice2
02-27-2006, 01:54 PM
I guess i have to break the cycle here...I actually moved AWAY from the PS85. I still use it as a "training" tool, that racket always helps with getting me back to the fundmental. But I will be the first to admitt that I can no longer use it as a legit weapon like I did once in my youthful days. These days, a 95 sq in (i'm using HM 200g) is my more forgiving, I dont have to think about swing as hard, and still get the same results as i did playing with the 85.

DANMAN
02-27-2006, 02:13 PM
Ganz, what are the grip sizes of the storms?

Ganz
02-28-2006, 08:19 AM
Add me to the 6.0 fanclub...
I started off 2005 with an nCode Tour90...then went to the Prostaff Tour90 and finally I tested a Prostaff original 6.0 85, and that's what I've been using the last 8-9 months.
Just like the way it slices thru the air, not very 'clunky', even with an extra 25g of lead added to it.

It's funny I first brought a Tour 90 two years ago and brought a PS 6.0 because I wanted one in my 'collection'. Started playing with the 90, it was the racket I wanted to love. I only noticed that the Tour 90 was slightly sluggish in some departments after I played with the PS 6.0.

I only ever wanted to play with the 6.0 a couple of times but found myself loving it, especially (back then) on the double-handed back hand. In the end I just stopped playing with the Tour. In fact I only ever played with it for a couple of months! Even with the naff factory string I still really liked the feel the PS 6 gave me.

Ganz
02-28-2006, 08:22 AM
Ganz, what are the grip sizes of the storms?

The storms are both 3 (4 3/8).

Young Pete
02-28-2006, 10:06 PM

i remember once going after an almost impossible volley, just when the ball was about to bounce twice and i somehow managed to get the ball over. it was very much like how sometimes sampras hits a stretch volley!!! and it barely crosses the net!!!! THIS WAS WITH A ST. VINCENT!!!

Ganz
03-03-2006, 07:08 AM
i remember once going after an almost impossible volley, just when the ball was about to bounce twice and i somehow managed to get the ball over. it was very much like how sometimes sampras hits a stretch volley!!! and it barely crosses the net!!!! THIS WAS WITH A ST. VINCENT!!!

The Pro Staff has such touch and control. The only thing I worry about is taking all for granted and not getting a buzz anymore. In a way its good to play with other rackets to revisit the Pro Staff. Sometimes you can get used to something. It's only when you go away that you appreciate how good the Pro Staff is.

I must admit I struggle to play forehand with it. But My forehand is not consistent anyway.