PDA

View Full Version : Which machine should I purchase?

Matt Choi
06-15-2004, 10:48 AM
I narrowed it down to Alpha Revo 4000 and Laserfibre Eco FC. These two machines got great reviews on this forum, so I don't know which one to go for. Eco is $100 more, but is it worth it?
Thanks.

waterpro
06-16-2004, 07:15 AM
Can't speak about the Alpha Revo, but I have a Laserfibre MS200TT and absolutely love it. I haven't had the chance to yet, but I am going to be posting a full review shortly....

Simbah2004
06-16-2004, 07:51 AM
I had the same choices and went with the Laserfibre Eco with flying clamps. I needed something very portable with the best clamps possible and virtually maintenance free. I won't string for other people and will do 3 strings jobs per month the most. But that's just my case. Tim said that for such low volume and on "safe" frames (such as mine) I would be more than satisfied with the Eco with flying clamps.
However, If you want to string all kinds of racquets consistently without having to improvise, and portability is not an issue, the Revo 4000 will be faster, easier, and will accommodate all racquets without having to improvise. Plus, you get the convenience and consistency of fixed clamps.
Both Tim from Laserfibre and Mark at Alpha are great guys so you would be well covered in the Customer Service Department. Still, I believe Laserfibre machines are a little bit better than Alpha. Hope this helps.

au
06-17-2004, 01:55 AM
I don't know about the Alpha but I use to own the ECO. Some things that bothered me about it (and this could be minor to others) was 1) the lever does not rest in an upright position like in their pictures. although you can be creative here and place some kind of contraption to hold it up. 2) if you want to string 70+ lbs. you'd have to purchase extra weights. 3) on the initial part of stringing the mains, the string goes under the throat of the racket and over to get to the tentioner. for some reason this bothers me. 4) it's not as portable as some may think. it's heavy and all the parts are hanging loosly like the lever, weights, and measuring stick. then there's the flying clamps. it's actually more awkward than heavy. these are the things that I wished people had told me before I purchased the Eco. so, if you don't mind these things than it's a very good investment cause it's built like a tank and it retains it's value really well.

I now own a used Ektelon H from **** for $400 and I love everything about it. :D

Simbah2004
06-17-2004, 06:53 PM
I can get over about pretty much what you have said about the Eco with flying clamps. What about stringing? Did you get consistent results?

Matt Choi
06-17-2004, 09:33 PM
Maybe I should've spelled it. I meant the Laserfibre with Fixed Clamps. This thing costs $650 w/o $80 credit versus Alpha Revo $ 550.

Simbah2004
06-18-2004, 09:00 AM
Sorry, I though FC stood for flying clamps...
Both are excellent machines, If I was in your position and could "stretch" the budget I would go with Laserfibre - Bit higher quality, double the warranty, and no need to calibrate.