PDA

View Full Version : Do you take vitamins ?

atatu
06-15-2004, 12:42 PM
If so, what multi-vitamin do you recommend for a middle aged male. Thanks.

Phil
06-15-2004, 06:03 PM
Yes. I suggest GNC Timed Release Ultra Mega Gold for men (without iron).

andirez
06-16-2004, 12:45 AM
I do use vitamins. The reason for this is that I realise that I often don't take up enough vitamins, selenium, etc. just by eating the things I normally eat. Is it really necessary? I don't know, fact is though that since I am taken vitamins daily, I haven't been sick. This conclusion is of course far from scientific, but I think the vitamins do help. Can't give you any recommendations on what vitamins to use, I use Omnibionta (regular multi-vitamin with selenium, jodium, etc), which has a nice price / quality ratio (atleast according to my pharmacist).

goober
06-16-2004, 07:38 PM
yah I eat gummy bear vitamins along with my 3 year old. :D

If you eat a well balanced meals you shouldn't need to take vitamins. :!:

lendl lives
06-17-2004, 09:35 AM
i started to take centrum today. first pill. i don't know if they'll help. i did see some expensive "joint" type medicines for 60 plus bucks that were kind of funny.

Phil
06-17-2004, 04:52 PM
Glucosomine and Chondriatin; yes, that's expensive stuff, and it's supposed to work for 50% of the people who use it. Didn't work for me.

atatu
06-18-2004, 07:35 AM
I tried Glucomsomine also and it didn't work for me.

lendl lives
06-21-2004, 12:30 PM
the way my wrist and elbow are feeling i might not have any other choice but to try the stuff.

PHSTennis
06-21-2004, 07:38 PM
I used to take Centrum, Im 16 I dont need it... I just eat lots of steak... taste better heh ;)

waterpro
06-22-2004, 06:26 AM
Glucosamine worked for my knee, elbow, and shoulder. You are not going to see immediate results though. You have to take it for 2-3 weeks before it starts to kick in. I do know it works for me because I was on it for a long time and though, ah I don't need this anymore, 2 months after I stopped my symptoms started back up. So I am now back on it.

It is one of those drugs that if it is working you don't notice anything, but once you quit you realize it was! Kind of like when you have a headache and take an advil. Do you really pay attention to the moment that you no longer have a headache? Most of the time, I take the advil and never look back. If the advil did it's job, it will go away without me even dwelling on it.

PHSTennis
06-22-2004, 06:18 PM
Excedrin PM! quick tabs! I dont carry drugs lol get it free from my friend shes my supplier lol, works better than advil... I should go out and get my own, I have tons of advil...

dennis1188
06-23-2004, 03:46 PM
I highly recommend daily 'essentials' by USANA. These products r high standard and sold by direct sale reps only. Since our family started regular USANA usage we hv very seldom had any colds etc. We basically refrain from unnecessary long term use of patent drugs.
good luck.

gmlasam
06-23-2004, 04:13 PM
I take multi vitamins from costco. It comes in a big 500 tablet bottle for $10.00 that would last me about a year and a half.. I also take extra vitamin E, B complex, Zinc, C, and Beta Carotene.

bee
06-25-2004, 09:24 PM
TAKE WHAT WILL HELP IN THE SHORT RUN AND IN THE LONG RUN.

THE PEOPLE WHO STUDY THESE THINGS SAY MOST OF US WOULD BENEFIT FROM A GOOD MULTIVITAMIN AND THAT'S TRUE BUT THE VERY BEST THING YOU CAN DO FOR YOURSELF LONGTERM IS TO EAT MORE FRUITS AND VEGETABLES AND FISH. AND, LESS FRIED FOOD AND RED MEAT...BEEF, PARTICULARLY.

IT REQUIRES A SHIFT. I'M SPEAKING HERE FOR YOUR LONGTERM HEALTH AS WELL AS NEARTERM ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE. I, LIKE MANY MEN MY AGE, HAVE A MARKEDLY IMPROVED CHOLESTEROL PROFILE ON A STATIN MEDICATION AND ALONG WITH THAT I TAKE COENZYME Q10 AND A B COMPLEX (HIGH FOLIC ACID) SUPPLEMENT AND LUTEIN SEVERAL DAYS A WEEK AS WELL. I TAKE A BABY ASPIRIN WITH FOOD MOST DAYS, AND ALSO ZETIA FOR FURTHER CHOLETEROL REDUCTION.

SORRY, THAT'S MORE OF A MEDICAL HISTORY. THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO IS EAT THE DEEP WATER FISH FOR THE OMEGA THREE FATTY ACIDS (TUNA, SALMON, SWORDFISH, ETC.) AND EAT THINGS LIKE BROCCOLI AND TURNIP GREENS, SPINACH, ETC. AND ALSO NUTS ARE GOOD FOR YOU.

MY CURRENT BOOK RECOMMENDATION ON ALL THIS IS THE VERY WELL WRITTEN "SUPERFOODS." EXCELLENT BOOK. CAN'T GO WRONG WITH THAT ONE. ANOTHER GOOD BOOK IS "THE OKINAWA PROGRAM" BUT IT'S OUT OF PRINT IN HARDBACK. YOU CAN FIND A HARDBACK VERSION AT SOME OF THE RARE AND USED BOOK STORES FOR 16 BUCKS OR SO. THERE'S A NETWORK FOR OUT OF PRINT BOOKS.

SORRY TO BE CLINICAL. SERIOUSLY, THE BOOK "SUPERFOODS" IS AN EXCELLENT READ, AND, YES, I TAKE A MULTIVITAMIN BUT MINE IS A HIGH B COMPLEX MOSTLY FOR THE FOLIC ACID AS IT LOWERS HOMOCYSTIENE WHICH IS FELT TO BE TOXIC TO THE VASCULAR SYSTEM.

CONSIDER THIS. YES, WE LIKE TO PLAY TENNIS AND IT HELPS KEEP US FIT AND MOTIVATE US TO STAY FIT. AND, MOST OF US WILL ACTUALLY GET BETTER YEAR AFTER YEAR AND THAT'S VERY ENJOYABLE. BUT, THE HEALTH HAZARDS THAT COME WITH AGING ARE THERE. LURKING AND WAITING TO CURTAIL OUR ABILITIES TO DO THINGS LIKE PLAY TENNIS AGGRESIVELY. SO, DO THE THINGS YOU NEED TO DO TO DELAY THE INEVITABLE DECLINE IN PHYSICAL ABILITIES. SERIOUSLY, STUDY THOSE TWO BOOKS. THE DATA IS IN.

BEE

Kirko
07-03-2004, 09:02 PM
I take my vitamins at night before I sleep I think they have the best opportunity to work no stress or cigarette smoke to "bleed" there effectiveness.

Rickson
07-03-2004, 11:27 PM
Go to 24 hour fitness and buy the Apex balanced multivitamins. They cost a little more than store brands, but they're a lot better than that centrum garbage.

baseliner
07-07-2004, 04:28 AM
One caution. Take a good multivitamin (I use centrum Silver since I am in my 50's but I'm not pushing any one brand) The important thing to realize is that many vitamins simply are not absorbed, but pass right thru your system. To counter that I always take my vitamins on a full stomach. I believe liquid is better than gel caps and gel caps better than pills as far as absorbtion. I take Glucosamine/Chondroitin liquid (found at Costco), vitamin E, fish oil in gell caps and multivitamin pill. I either crush the pill in a mortar and pestle or suck on the pill until it disolves in my mouth (taste is not all that great but bearable. Earlier poster recommended certain fishes for omega 3 fatty acids. Remember Atlantic wild fish are much higher in Omega 3 than farm raised salmon for example.

SC in MA
07-22-2004, 05:57 AM
Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM works for me, taking the stiffness out of my joints. I'm 54 and I've been using it for many years now. People are surprised by my age because I'm quick and move very well. Prior to using it, I had an incredible amount of joint stiffness. I think it's also helped lessen soreness after any athletic activity. I take it twice a day.

waterpro described how it works perfectly. It's a subtle, gradual change that's not really noticeable as its happening. All I need to do to know its working is to compare how stiff I used to be to how fluid I am now. It's quite amazing.

I first heard about Glucosamine/Chondroitin 10 or 15 years ago. I saw a story on TV (maybe on 60 Minutes) about an older woman who had such joint stiffness that she had great difficulty moving around and had to give up tennis. She was the Health writer for the NY Times. She learned of Glucosamine when her vet prescribed it for her old Lab who was so incredibly stiff it could hardly move without pain. After taking Glucosamine for some short period of time, the old Lab was back to its frisky self. She was so surprised by the dramatic change that she asked the vet if she could take it. He said yes and she began taking it. Shortly thereafter she was back on the tennis court playing regularly again. That story was what got me interested in learning more about it. I think its made a huge difference for me.

equinox
07-17-2009, 10:06 AM
yes, multi slow released.